Nexstar...again

Gotta get the lay of the land so they can start identifying budget cuts ....
As well as identifying more NBC affiliates for them (particularly in their larger markets, except WHAG and KRON 4 for reasons already known), because soon, KTVX will strip the NBC affiliation from KSL and the same goes for KOIN 6 which might also gain an NBC affiliation, among others. Sook is a member of the NBC affiliates group and Nexstar has as good relations with NBC as Sinclair does with Fox.

the same goes for KOIN 6 which might also gain an NBC affiliation, among others. Sook is a member of the NBC affiliates group and Nexstar has as good relations with NBC

NBC is NOT moving stations in PDX. KGW is one of NBC's strongest affils owned by one of NBC's strongest station groups, and they just reupped with the network not too long ago.

• Like 2

NBC is NOT moving stations in PDX. KGW is one of NBC's strongest affils owned by one of NBC's strongest station groups, and they just reupped with the network not too long ago.

If that's the case, then don't expect KING or KTVB to lose their NBC affils either, not that it has to deal with this situation since neither KING, KGW or KTVB were ever in danger of losing their NBC affiliations for Seattle, Portland and Boise, respectively.

If that's the case, then don't expect KING or KTVB to lose their NBC affils either, not that it has to deal with this situation since neither KING, KGW or KTVB were ever in danger of losing their NBC affiliations for Seattle, Portland and Boise, respectively.

Why even bring it up? It probably goes without saying.

...soon, KTVX will strip the NBC affiliation from KSL and the same goes for KOIN 6 which might also gain an NBC affiliation, among others.

But why though?

As well as identifying more NBC affiliates for them (particularly in their larger markets, except WHAG and KRON 4 for reasons already known), because soon, KTVX will strip the NBC affiliation from KSL and the same goes for KOIN 6 which might also gain an NBC affiliation, among others. Sook is a member of the NBC affiliates group and Nexstar has as good relations with NBC as Sinclair does with Fox.

This is freaking absurd. I hate kind of repeating myself, but this is almost a horrible joke to where there is no payoff.

• Like 1

Please stop with the KSL ridiculousness. SLC in general would know if KSL was in any threat of losing the NBC affiliation, and if you think they're going to take ABC, switching out football and well-rated family programming for the TV-14 DSLV TGIT block, lack of sports and Olympics tells you all you need to know; it's not happening. NBC is happy with KSL and will be for years to come.

Even with pre-emptions, KSL will remain with NBC. I think FOX is happy with KSTU and their continued growth over the past 20 years, especially in terms of station's rise of being known in the state and their news operation's continued success and KUTV has turned out to be one of CBS' strongest affiliates, thanks to their recent domination in the ratings, combining that with CBS Primetime.

ABC is probably the most unhappiest of networks in Utah since KTVX does very very poorly. However, with NBC actually being happy with KSL, despite their NBC pre-emptions, there will be NO affiliation switch for some time to come in Utah.

Even with pre-emptions, KSL will remain with NBC. I think FOX is happy with KSTU and their continued growth over the past 20 years, especially in terms of station's rise of being known in the state and their news operation's continued success and KUTV has turned out to be one of CBS' strongest affiliates, thanks to their recent domination in the ratings, combining that with CBS Primetime.

ABC is probably the most unhappiest of networks in Utah since KTVX does very very poorly. However, with NBC actually being happy with KSL, despite their NBC pre-emptions, there will be NO affiliation switch for some time to come in Utah.

Or will there? See, once Nexstar becomes Nexstar Media, they will have the bargaining power to make any of their larger stations become NBC affiliates (including yanking the NBC affiliation from KSL). And yes, KSTU and KUTV will still keep their affiliations regardless for reasons you've just stated. And in the case of KUTV, the conservative stance Sinclair gives it also helps it a lot considering that Utah is generally a conservative state

TEGNA is also one of CBS' strongest station groups since the former's inception from the split, then again seeing as how Media General (which is about 4-6 months away from being acquired by Nexstar) is also one of CBS' strongest station groups, I can see your point. However, let me clarify this once again. NBC has as good relations with Nexstar as Fox does with Sinclair that they invited Lester Holt into at least a couple of their NBC affiliates

http://www.myarklamiss.com/news/news/a-sit-down-with-nbc-news-anchor-lester-holt

http://www.kerngoldenempire.com/news/top-stories/lester-holt-works-the-room-at-conference

Or will there? See, once Nexstar becomes Nexstar Media, they will have the bargaining power to make any of their larger stations become NBC affiliates (including yanking the NBC affiliation from KSL). And yes, KSTU and KUTV will still keep their affiliations regardless

Congratulations, I think you've officially jumped the shark.

• Like 5

Or will there? See, once Nexstar becomes Nexstar Media, they will have the bargaining power to make any of their larger stations become NBC affiliates (including yanking the NBC affiliation from KSL). And yes, KSTU and KUTV will still keep their affiliations regardless for reasons you've just stated. And in the case of KUTV, the conservative stance Sinclair gives it also helps it a lot considering that Utah is generally a conservative state

TEGNA is also one of CBS' strongest station groups since the former's inception from the split, then again seeing as how Media General (which is about 4-6 months away from being acquired by Nexstar) is also one of CBS' strongest station groups, I can see your point. However, let me clarify this once again. NBC has as good relations with Nexstar as Fox does with Sinclair that they invited Lester Holt into at least a couple of their NBC affiliates

http://www.myarklamiss.com/news/news/a-sit-down-with-nbc-news-anchor-lester-holt

http://www.kerngoldenempire.com/news/top-stories/lester-holt-works-the-room-at-conference

In regards to inviting Lester Holt, I would assume NBC affiliates can invite and it depends on Lester's and the nets schedule if he can come. This isn't a Nexstar thing. He has been to WRAL and to KPRC among other NBC affiliates.

At the end of the day, and I am being dead serious here because I am sick and tired of seeing all of this rampant speculation. NBC just like any other network is not going to just jump the shark because Nexstar is cozy with them or that Tegna is cozy with CBS. I know this year has been kind of a weird year because no one thought at all that WRAL was going to lose its CBS affiliation to WNCN. That was totally out of left field. All of this other speculation at this point is really absurd and its not just on this one board but on several others within the past month. If we see a headline about KSL loosing its affiliation to KTVX from a reputable source, than that would be the time to go ahead and report it and have a discussion about potential implications of the deal. But until that happens, stop with this unnecessary speculation on any board that is not named the Speculatron 9000.

• Like 5

Just north of Kernville Ca., there is a fish hatchery that is run by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and it's open to the public.

There are rows and rows of concrete tanks with various sizes of rainbow and brown trout in the various stages of growth.

The larger fish are in the uncovered tanks. The baby fish are in covered tanks to protect them from birds and other predators. Near the uncovered tanks are bubble gum style vending machines that for a quarter dispense fish food so kids can feed the fishys.

All day long kids toss handfuls of food into the water and the fish rush to the surface and gobble up the food. The water "boils" from all the splashing fish.

It's a cool sight.

But some kids don't have any money...

So they scoop up a handful of tiny rocks off the ground and toss those into the water and the fish rush to the surface and gobble up the rocks ... just like they do with the fish food.....

Then they spit all the rocks out at the same time and the water "boils" again.

The kids crack up because it's even funnier...the fish know the drill and spit the rocks out...and the poor / low income kids save a quarter.

There is a moral to this story ...

"You Can't Fool The Fish".

Nexstar may already have their hands in the Media General Cookie Jar. They can't even wait until their summer station tour blitz to meddle with things.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/5/8/does-nexstar-have-its-hand-in-the-media-general-cookie-jar-already

Well, they obviously want to establish themselves quickly, sort of like Sinclair, but more glaringly obvious

Well, they obviously want to establish themselves quickly, sort of like Sinclair, but more glaringly obvious

It's one thing for them to be working quietly behind the scenes with Media General to figure out how best to align processes "after" the sale goes through and to make the transition smooth. That is supposed to be the extent of things until the FCC approves. You are right, they are making it glaringly obvious. It's also glaringly illegal, if what they are doing is true.

• Like 1

It's one thing for them to be working quietly behind the scenes with Media General to figure out how best to align processes "after" the sale goes through and to make the transition smooth. That is supposed to be the extent of things until the FCC approves. You are right, they are making it glaringly obvious. It's also glaringly illegal, if what they are doing is true.
And like Sinclair, they can get away with it.

Also, call me a conspiracy theorist, but I still think Perry Sook paid a hitman to kill Media General's chairman (J. Stewart Bryan III) and make it look like an accident so that the merger could go through. And speaking of TV execs committing crimes, the last time any TV exec committed any crime that I know of was back in 1995 when David Smith was caught with a prostitute and had to serve community service. And he used WBFF to do so, which I would highly dissaprove, and so did the judge

Nexstar may already have their hands in the Media General Cookie Jar. They can't even wait until their summer station tour blitz to meddle with things.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/5/8/does-nexstar-have-its-hand-in-the-media-general-cookie-jar-already

They do realize that they still have to sell at least 6 of the stations?

They might've, but they won't tell us until after the spectrum auction

The original point still remains. If they are doing what they are said to be doing, it's illegal. Regardless of whether they get away with it or not. Also, Nexstar can't magically withhold which 6 stations they are selling. That matter has to be worked out and filed before the FCC will even consider approving the MG/Nexstar deal.

• Like 1

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic