Nexstar...again

KLAF really did debut their local newscasts yesterday. Here is a tour of their new studio and newsroom.

http://www.cajunfirst.com/news/local-news/cajunfirst-studio-tour

Looks pretty standard for a Nexstar station which makes sense since Lafayette is a small market.

Almost identical to the one debuting tonight on WZDX in Huntsville.

• Like 1

Media General and Nexstar held a joint video presentation to share surface-level info on the merger process with employees and shareholders. Both companies indicated that they wanted to begin the "conversation" and to bring employees into the loop before the official closing happens, instead of beginning the discussion after the merger, which is how things are typically done. They loosely hit on benefits, operating structure and management in a big-picture/snapshot sort of way.

It's too bad video isn't available, but you can check out the link below for a text transcript.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/216539/000119312516532379/d177283d425.htm

Media General and Nexstar held a joint video presentation to share surface-level info on the merger process with employees and shareholders. Both companies indicated that they wanted to begin the "conversation" and to bring employees into the loop before the official closing happens, instead of beginning the discussion after the merger, which is how things are typically done. They loosely hit on benefits, operating structure and management in a big-picture/snapshot sort of way.

It's too bad video isn't available, but you can check out the link below for a text transcript.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/216539/000119312516532379/d177283d425.htm

And it was on KXAN, no doubt, though seeing as how Nexstar's headquarters are here in the DFW area (or more specifically, in Irving), it kind of makes sense. Well Mr. Sook, I've got an idea: after the FCC incentive auction, why not bring back the Station Venture Holdings (this time being Station Venture Holdings II, LLC), complete with NBC 5 DFW and NBC 7/39 with NBC having a majority stake on both stations (76% to be exact, while Nexstar will have a 24% stake). This time, it's in exchange for a minority stake in WFLA and KXAN (NBC owning 24%, while Nexstar will own the majority (74%)).
  • Like 5

Makes sense, that does seem to be the standard cookie-cutter set that Nexstar uses for their stations in small markets. I will give them credit though for building an actual news department at WZDX similar to what they did with WFXR (actually they're pretty much carbon copies of each other).

But I will say that RocketCityNow is a pretty cheesy name for a website, even by Nexstar standards.

• Like 1

Does Nexstar own any stations that lack an in-house news department?

In terms of their big 4 stations here is the situation: Their Montana ABC/Fox duopoly (KSVI/KHMT) doesn't, WNTZ doesn't, WWTI in Watertown, NY doesn't either but that's more of a satellite of WSYR, for the moment KWKT doesn't have a news department but they will launch one later this year, and WLAX / WEUX don't.

Obviously this doesn't count standalone CW stations.

In terms of their big 4 stations here is the situation: Their Montana ABC/Fox duopoly (KSVI/KHMT) doesn't, WNTZ doesn't, WWTI in Watertown, NY doesn't either but that's more of a satellite of WSYR, for the moment KWKT doesn't have a news department but they will launch one later this year, and WLAX / WEUX don't.

WNTZ would give KALB some competition finally, although ratings would be a challenge since that station absolutely dominates. Likewise, WWTI would give WWNY some competition...being a pseudo-satellite doesn't preclude news operations (look at WKYT and WYMT, for example).

• Like 1

Well Mr. Sook, I've got an idea: after the FCC incentive auction, why not bring back the Station Venture Holdings (this time being Station Venture Holdings II, LLC), complete with NBC 5 DFW and NBC 7/39 with NBC having a majority stake on both stations (76% to be exact, while Nexstar will have a 24% stake).

Why would NBC want to do that a second time, let alone with those particular stations?

• Like 1

Why would NBC want to do that a second time, let alone with those particular stations?

Because playing fantasy television owner makes people "propose" the most ridiculous things you can imagine.

• Like 5

WCWJ used to have one as WJKS.

Their Montana duopoly also used to had newscasts. Suffering from low rating below KTVQ and KULR, the newscasts was killed after Nexstar bought them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
RabbitEars is saying WHAG will become an affiliate of Weigel's Heroes & Icons network, which is already seen in the DC market on WDCA 20.3.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=25045#station

If this is true... then what the hell? I thought WHAG would go Independent because they are expanding local news operations and with H&I programming, it would make it virtually impossible to have the affiliation, considering that I think H&I is a network that hates local stations preempt their programming for local programming, which includes Me-TV, Antenna TV, Decades and other classic networks.

If WHAG does become H&I, then it would be unusual for a Nexstar station like this and I can see WHAG's news operations shut down instead because again, there's no way to work this around. I hope this is completely false.

That's encouraging....especially since most stations after they've been "Nex-starr'd" have lost their web streams.

"Nex-starr'd" ?????

I'm pretty sure that word is offensive to somebody in some group...somewhere.

I feel like I should be offended, and maybe if I wait a few days I might get slightly angry and feel bullied.

On the other hand, I kinda like the word "Nextard"... and want to use it also...but I'm afraid some idiot will get offended.

I guess it's all in the spelling.

• Like 1

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic