Nexstar...again

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but I've noticed that Nexstar often intends to finance its acquisitions of stations or companies with cash generated from operations and borrowings under its senior credit facilities and they think that "x market is a natural compliment to our (insert region here) of the United States", not to mention they also say they "intend to build on their rich tradition of localized content and programming and community involvement".

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting structure. The deal is composed of a time brokerage deal to close next month and then Nexstar should get the licenses by late 2016.

Also, Perry Sook worked at WOWK, the article notes. Who would have ever thought that someday he'd own the station?

• Like 1

All right... here comes the following:

• WOWK News

• WTRF News
  • WVNS News

• Local 12 News or WBOY News

Plus...

• WVFirst.com/(station's callsign) or WVProud.com/(station's callsign)
  • (station's callsign).WVFirst.com or (station's callsign).WVProud.com

I nailed this one a while back when their CEO was sued....

It's amazing WVMH has lasted this long....I see them being sold off if Bray loses his shirt and the company in this lawsuit.

These would make great Nexstar stations....and even they would be a MASSIVE improvement over how West Virginia Media has run the show the past decade.

And like I said before, Nexstar would be an improvement over WVMH. They have a good set of logos, but all of these stations (maybe not WBOY but especially WOWK) need some desperate help. It is disconcerting that Perry Sook once worked here, but so did fellow Ohio University alum Matt Lauer....

Well these stations are going to be in good hands (sort of). Although, I can already tell you, IMO, the branding coming to the WVM stations.

Local 7 News/Ohiovalleymatters.com(WTRF)

Local 13 News/WVProud.com(WOWK)

WVNS News/WeAreTheTwoVirginias.com

Local 12 News/MountaineerMatters.com (WBOY)

Too bad they dumped the "Your Town....Your State...Your Future" branding. That would have made for a great Nexstar-esque web site header!

This would reunite WOWK with their former Gateway/SJL sister stations in Altoona and WLYH in Lancaster.

Its only a matter of time before the Maag family cashes out on WFMJ. That's another station with Nexstar written all over it SHOULD they not get Media General. But if not, this time brokerage agreement is a loophole should they prevail in their mission to overtake MG.

If they get turned down by Media General, expect them to be VERY aggressive in their pursuit of stations....

Too bad they dumped the "Your Town....Your State...Your Future" branding. That would have made for a great Nexstar-esque web site header!

This would reunite WOWK with their former Gateway/SJL sister stations in Altoona and WLYH in Lancaster.

Its only a matter of time before the Maag family cashes out on WFMJ. That's another station with Nexstar written all over it SHOULD they not get Media General. But if not, this time brokerage agreement is a loophole should they prevail in their mission to overtake MG.

If they get turned down by Media General, expect them to be VERY aggressive in their pursuit of stations....

Who could they go after next, Gray?

With most of the Gray stations having standardized newsroom, master control and Virzt play out video/graphics equipment, "me" thinks it's just a matter of time. I think Gray and Calkins will both will get snatched up over the next 2 to 3 years. Hard to pick which group will go first, but I think Nexstar will be after both.

IMO, Nexstar wouldn't have to do much graphics-wise or music-wise. The only thing that Nexstar would have to do is a new logo and possibly a new set.

Gray and Nexstar have lots of room to consolidate in the smaller markets. But if one goes after the other, it would cause a slew of conflicts.

The smaller groups or individual stations are sale bait now more than ever. Even if Nexstar gets Media General and becomes maxed out, the WVMH sale is a stopgap solution that doesn't give them immediate ownership, but operational control. Expect this to be the next Nexstar exploitation of the rules like they did with Mission before.

• Like 2

What was the CEO of WVMH being sued over ?

I was kinda hoping that a better company (like MG or Scripps) would by theses stations; but that was obviously never going to happen. If the MG - Nexstar deal falls through I could see Nexstar going on a little buy spree and gobbling up other smaller companies like Bonten and Morris

Gray and Nexstar have lots of room to consolidate in the smaller markets. But if one goes after the other, it would cause a slew of conflicts.

The smaller groups or individual stations are sale bait now more than ever. Even if Nexstar gets Media General and becomes maxed out, the WVMH sale is a stopgap solution that doesn't give them immediate ownership, but operational control. Expect this to be the next Nexstar exploitation of the rules like they did with Mission before.

From my count, Gray and Nexstar have 12 conflicts:

* Dothan, AL

* Grand Junction, CO

* Panama City, FL

* Rockford, IL

* Alexandria, LA

* Monroe, LA

* Bismarck - Minot, ND

* Midland - Odessa, TX

* Killeen - College Station - Waco, TX

* Roanoke, VA

* Charleston, WV

* La Crosse - Eau Claire, WI

I feel like I have to warn the FCC about time-brokerage agreements used in the same way you just mentioned.

Also like I said in an earlier post, Nexstar apparently seems to like saying that a station they're acquiring is a "natural compliment to (insert region here)", even if it might not be to a certain region.

• Like 1

* Dothan, AL

* Grand Junction, CO

* Panama City, FL

* Rockford, IL

* Alexandria, LA

* Monroe, LA

* Bismarck - Minot, ND

* Midland - Odessa, TX

* Roanoke, VA

* Charleston, WV

And in many of these, Gray and Nexstar own ALL of the major stations in the market. A few more have Sinclair as a third owner. Grand Junction and Panama City have Nexstar owned stations because they were the Hoak leftovers when THEY merged with Gray!

It's just like radio did years back, the same 3 companies owning ALL of the stations.

• Like 2

* Dothan, AL

* Grand Junction, CO

* Panama City, FL

* Rockford, IL

* Alexandria, LA

* Monroe, LA

* Bismarck - Minot, ND

* Midland - Odessa, TX

* Roanoke, VA

* Charleston, WV

Thirteen. Marquette too (Gray will have WLUC, Nexstar has WJMN).

• Like 2

Guest Former Member 207
And in many of these, Gray and Nexstar own ALL of the major stations in the market. A few more have Sinclair as a third owner. Grand Junction and Panama City have Nexstar owned stations because they were the Hoak leftovers when THEY merged with Gray!

It's just like radio did years back, the same 3 companies owning ALL of the stations.

In particular interest to me, my hometown of Rockford has three station owners--Gray (WIFR), Nexstar/Mission (WTVO/WQRF), and Quincy Newspapers (WREX); a fourth if you throw-in Weigel (they own WFBN-LP, which currently simulcasts the Telemundo station from Milwaukee). I won't bother much to speculate on who would go after WIFR or WTVO/WQRF should a Nexstar-Gray union ever take place, although I would think that one of the usual suspects (like Sinclair) would take a look. Maybe even Weigel especially given their presence in that part of the Midwest...they have the experience running network-affiliated stations (WDJT and its South Bend cluster), and they're arguably one of the most successful smaller broadcast chains around.

I've seemed to have noticed that many of Nexstar's apps are rated 4.0 or higher (on a scale of 0 to 5), yet people, including many people on here on TVNT (including me I must admit) often say that Nexstar is cheap (though they do have a point on that one in some markets).

• Like 3

yet people on TVNT (including me I must admit) often say that Nexstar is cheap (though they do have a point on that one in some markets).

FTFY. :)

In all seriousness, most people outside of this board don't care about much of the stuff we talk about as long as they are getting the information they need from their stations. Naturally, we here at TVNT criticize visual/auditory things because we've been conditioned to do so.

I will say that Nexstar has made significant investments in several of their stations, though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Nexstar duo in Midland/Odessa got a makeover - and an HD upgrade!

A new set, control room, graphics (KMID - the new WFRV package), and name.

KMID is now Local 2 News (With a very KJRH-esque logo)

With this upgrade, KMID jumps to the best looking (cosmetics-wise) in the market. Production of their news still has a long way to go.

KPEJ's facebook reports that FOX 24 will get news in early 2016.

With this upgrade, KMID jumps to the best looking (cosmetics-wise) in the market. Production of their news still has a long way to go.

I mentioned this in Out and About that my new friend, Nick Russo who used to work there, said that they would move into a brand new building with a new set and look. Therefore, they did. It actually looks really good!

Nexstar really knocked it out of the ballpark with this one! Well done Nexstar! First WMBD and now KMID.

KPEJ's facebook reports that FOX 24 will get news in early 2016.

WFXR Graphics...

• Like 2