Nexstar...again

Big changes are coming to two former ComCorp stations July 1st.

In Lafayette, KLAF will become an NBC Affiliate, while MyNetworkTV will move to the DT3 subchannel of KADN. KLAF will also local news by early 2016.

And in Waco, KYLE will split off from KWKT and become a MyNetworkTV affiliate.

Looks like they'll pipe in news from WVLA in the meantime.

Looks like Nexstar is going to rebuild these stations from the ground up. It's exciting to see even though it'll probably mean the loss of KPLC in that market.

This may have bigger implications for Lake Charles itself. If KPLC covers the Lafayette area decently, it still has the coverage advantage over piping in news from Baton Rouge.

On the flipside, KPLC may challenge "K-JAC" (KBMT's NBC subchannel) if there's enough crossover. If i'm correct, viewers there associate better with the Beaumont-Port Arthur market than with Lafayette for their remaining affiliates.

It is good news for Lafayette since they're most likely the largest market in the country now that still relies on an adjacent market for a major network affiliate. But on the flipside, it could mean the ultimate collapse of the Lake Charles market should Lake Charles merge into Beaumont.

It could also be the next Zanesville, OH or Victoria, TX if KPLC sticks around for their local Lake Charles viewers.

This may have bigger implications for Lake Charles itself. If KPLC covers the Lafayette area decently, it still has the coverage advantage over piping in news from Baton Rouge.

On the flipside, KPLC may challenge "K-JAC" (KBMT's NBC subchannel) if there's enough crossover. If i'm correct, viewers there associate better with the Beaumont-Port Arthur market than with Lafayette for their remaining affiliates.

It is good news for Lafayette since they're most likely the largest market in the country now that still relies on an adjacent market for a major network affiliate. But on the flipside, it could mean the ultimate collapse of the Lake Charles market should Lake Charles merge into Beaumont.

It could also be the next Zanesville, OH or Victoria, TX if KPLC sticks around for their local Lake Charles viewers.

If Lake Charles merges with anyone, I have a feeling it would be Lafayette instead of Beaumont since they're in the same state. I don't think the stations in Beaumont bother to cover anything in Louisiana even though Lake Charles gets stations from Beaumont as well as Lafayette.

If Lake Charles merges with anyone, I have a feeling it would be Lafayette instead of Beaumont since they're in the same state. I don't think the stations in Beaumont bother to cover anything in Louisiana even though Lake Charles gets stations from Beaumont as well as Lafayette.

Suddenlink in Lake Charles carries KFDM and KLFY, KVHP (Fox), KATC and KBMT.

Given that KBTV only converted to Fox recently, and prior to that was an NBC affiliate, it makes sense that they are not on the cable system in Lake Charles.

In the HD tier they also have K-JAC, but for whatever reason it is not on the basic cable tier.

The other stations in Lake Charles are KVHP (which could help keep the market intact), a retransmitter of a Lafayette-based family/Christian network, and the Louisiana state PBS network.

In Lafayette, KLAF will become an NBC Affiliate, while MyNetworkTV will move to the DT3 subchannel of KADN. KLAF will also have local news by early 2016.

Here's what I said on RadioDiscussions on both changes.

Actually, according to KADN's Wikipedia article, Lafayette did have an NBC affiliate - on channel 15 - from 1968-1975.

Channel 15 in Lafayette was originally home to KLNI-TV, which operated as an NBC affiliate beginning on September 16, 1968. With ABC affiliate KATC-TV (channel 3) and CBS station KLFY-TV (channel 10) already operating, the Lafayette market was considered too small at the time to support three TV stations. After suffering financial difficulties for the few years it was on the air, KLNI discontinued operations on February 21, 1975, leaving WBRZ (and later WRBT, now WVLA) from Baton Rouge and KPLC from Lake Charles as the region's de facto NBC affiliates. The allocation for channel 15 in Lafayette as a commercial TV station remained after the demise of KLNI, but the frequency stayed dark for the next five years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KADN-TV

Right now, KLAF and its simulcast on KADN 15.2 are in 480i 4:3 SD. When KLAF is upgraded to HD, they should also upgrade KADN-DT2 to 720p so that the whole market can watch NBC in HD (KLAF can go the full 1080i).

Contour Maps:

KLAF: http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1502551&map=Y

KADN: http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1203386&map=Y

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?686672-NBC-coming-to-Lafayette-LA-on-KLAF-LD-46-1-and-KADN-15-2&p=6046986&viewfull=1#post6046986

This would leave the Brazos Valley without over-the-air access to FOX. And KYLE wouldn't be picked up OTA in Waco. Here's how I'd do things:

KYLE - Contour Map: http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...=1316617&map=Y

28.1 MNT (720p HD)

28.2 FOX // KWKT (720p HD)

28.3 Estrella TV (480i SD)

KWKT - Contour Map: http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...=1382140&map=Y

44.1 FOX (720p HD)

44.2 MNT // KYLE (720p HD)

44.3 Estrella TV (480i SD)

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?686673-KYLE-Bryan-to-become-MyNetworkTV-affiliate&p=6046987&viewfull=1#post6046987

KVHP has significant overlap into KBTV's territory. This goes back to when KVHP was the parent station of KUIL-LP, which was FOX's Beaumont affiliate until KBTV took it in 2009.

I could see Raycom eventually picking up another affiliate or two on KPLC to attempt to round out the market.

KVHP has significant overlap into KBTV's territory. This goes back to when KVHP was the parent station of KUIL-LP, which was FOX's Beaumont affiliate until KBTV took it in 2009.

I could see Raycom eventually picking up another affiliate or two on KPLC to attempt to round out the market.

Wouldn't shock me. Raycom has been doing that in Biloxi and recently in Jonesboro. The question is which network will Raycom try to go after, ABC or CBS?

I imagine these would replace the Beaumont signals on the cable providers there as I would think viewers would prefer to keep the Lafayette stations over the Beaumont ones. But then again Raycom might want to get rid of both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In Lafayette, KLAF will become an NBC Affiliate, while MyNetworkTV will move to the DT3 subchannel of KADN. KLAF will also have local news by early 2016.

Now that they have switched, does KWKT and KYLE really expand broadcast areas? Or will they made subchannels to rebroadcast each others like WFXR and WWCW did?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic