Nexstar...again

Let's see..what would be the new website for KLAS? How about wearelasvegas.com, wearenevada.com, or lasvegasmatters.com?

LasVegasHomepage? myLasVegas?

Methinks none of the above. I think Nexstar will give them something unique so they can stand out. Nexstar has its favorites like WSYR, WATN, KTVX and a couple others that have domain names not typical of their other stations.

Weren't they lasvegasnow.com prior to adopting the 8news Now branding? They could go back to that.

Doubt it. I remember that domain name, I also remember when WMBB was panhandleparade.com and they didn't go back to that when Nexstar took over...

• 2 weeks later...

KLAS' traffic guy just announced on his Facebook page that he and the station's chopper "have been eliminated." Not surprising, but sad to see. That leaves KSNV as the only Vegas station still in the air.

Called it, told ya Nexstar hates choppers.

Now let's see how they'll work "Local" into the station...

Called it, told ya Nexstar hates choppers.

Now let's see how they'll work "Local" into the station...

They might resurrect the "Eyewitness News" branding like they did in Fresno. I Always thought "8 News Now" sounded stupid.

Real bummer about the chopper though. I know KLAS used that a lot for their newscasts.

KLAS' traffic guy just announced on his Facebook page that he and the station's chopper "have been eliminated." Not surprising, but sad to see. That leaves KSNV as the only Vegas station still in the air.

That is, until Sinclair decides to give KSNV's chopper the axe as well.

Maybe this will give Scripps an opportunity to make a statement at the expense of both KLAS and KSNV by bringing back KTNV's news helicopter?

I doubt it. Sinclair used to not be a fan of news choppers but surprisingly they have kept WOAI's chopper lease (and have extended it to KABB as well). The only thing is that the chopper is now sponsored by World Car. So I guess Sinclair's logic there is, "we'll keep the chopper if we can find a company willing to shoulder most or all of the cost of it".

Maybe this will give Scripps an opportunity to make a statement at the expense of both KLAS and KSNV by bringing back KTNV's news helicopter?

I agree, this is the perfect opportunity for KTNV or KVVU. Scripps/Journal and Meredith are both a little more open-minded about using choppers and this could work to their advantage against KLAS.

Not a fan of this move at all. I would've rather had someone like Gannett buy KLAS instead of Nexstar. They're better in smaller markets.

Fox2127.com, the website for WFXR/WWCW in the Roanoke/Lynchburg area is now VirginiaFirst.com

WZDX also do this as well. They were fox54.com but they are now www.rocketcitynow.com/

EDIT: Okay, now turns out all of the former Grant stations have switched.

KLJB/KGCW: kljb.com fold into http://www.ourquadcities.com/

WZDX: fox54.com > www.rocketcitynow.com/

WLAX/WEUX: fox2548.com > http://www.wiproud.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Does this mean Nexstar will finally have to invest in WIVT? It felt like they wanted WICZ in part so they could assume their news department.

I think you're right. WIVT only produces one newscast at 6:00 which is repeated at 11:00 and WIVT still does not have a weather department, instead having taped forecasts from WSYR. Nexstar probably thought that WIVT is in such awful shape that it would be cheaper buying another station to assume an existing news department instead of basically starting a new one from scratch.

I think you're right. WIVT only produces one newscast at 6:00 which is repeated at 11:00 and WIVT still does not have a weather department, instead having taped forecasts from WSYR. Nexstar probably thought that WIVT is in such awful shape that it would be cheaper buying another station to assume an existing news department instead of basically starting a new one from scratch.

I thought they did two at 6:00 and 11:00 p.m., just like how WICZ 40 only does news at 6:00 and 10:00 p.m.

Stainless has been withdrew WICZ/WBPN's deal to Mission broadcasting.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=57176

If Brian W Brady were to sell off any of his assets to Perry Sook's Nexstar, it would more likely be Blackhawk's KSWT and KYMA in Yuma and Eagle Creek's KVTV in Laredo or still sell off KSWT and KYMA in Yuma to Nexstar but sell off KVTV to Sagamore Hill. It is very possible for Sagamore Hill to purchase KVTV from Brady's Eagle Creek and be able to see much of KVTV operations get farmed out to ex-former sister station KZTV studios in Corpus Christi to become sister stations once again and since Sagamore Hill has already sold off KGNS in 2013 to Yellowstone who in turned sold KGNS to Gray Television in late 2013/early 2014 meaning it is very possible for Sagamore Hill to re-enter Laredo by purchasing KVTV while Gray owns KGNS. KSWT and KYMA would be a great fit for Nexstar since Nexstar now has KASW in Phoenix and KLAS in Las Vegas in those markets closer to Yuma. I feel Nexstar would be a lot better fit for KSWT and KYMA and even KVTV since Nexstar has more resource and leverage for operations TV stations affiliated with CBS and NBC than Brady and Blackhawk and Eagle Creek parent company Northwest Broadcasting. my idea of Brady selling off KSWT/KYMA in Yuma and KVTV in Laredo to Nexstar or selling KSWT/KYMA to Nexstar while selling KVTV to Sagamore Hill would make Brady much more focused on streamlining Northwest operations to only focusing on operating Northwest TV stations affiliated with the FOX Network affiliates in Spokane, Yakima-Walla Walla, Medford, Binghamton, and Syracuse.

It could be possible for Brady under Eagle Creek who already sold off KZTV jointly to Sagamore Hill and Cordillera/Evening Post would allowed Cordillera and Sagamore Hill to jointly fully purchase KVTV in Laredo as a way for KVTV to become a sister station to KZTV again and also to KRIS in the future. In my opinion Brady has no chance of being able to continue to operate ownership of his own stations throughout his Cedar Creek, Stainless, Bristlecone, Eagle Creek, Blackhawk, and Northwest Broadcasting banners of his ownership group structures. Brady's Blackhawk outsourced operations of the ex former late James (Jimmy) Rogers-Intermountain West Communications Company/Sunbelt station KYMA and ex former Harry Pappas-Pappas Telecasting Companies station KSWT in Yuma to News Press Gazette station KECY in Yuma as NPG has the resources to keep KSWT and KYMA going under KECY and NPG control than KSWT and KYMA together operated seperately under Brady's Blackhawk control as Brady and Black Hawk got very burned out from operating KSWT and KYMA itself due to KYMA being the weakest performing station of IWCC and KSWT being as one of the weakest performing stations of Pappas when Pappas went into bankruptcy and receivership with KSWT being held by Lee W Shubert when Brady proposed to purchase KSWT and David Stapleton when the purchase and acquisition of KSWT was completed under the Pappas Liquidating Trust.

Pappas weakest performing station were KSWT and WIWN while continuing ownership of weakest performing station KDMI and WLGA with NTV/KFXL as the only cash cow left for Pappas.

NTV/KFXL still struggles as well as stand alone KLKN to fight and compete with top dog Gray owned 10-11 due to 10-11 being more widely available over the air, cable and satellite as well as signing on from Lincoln as KOLN on Channel 12 in February 1953 before moving to Channel 10 by taking over KFOR Channel 10 in 1954 while Channel 12 became KUON as part of UNL's NETin December 1954 from Lincoln when NTV would sign on as KHOL (now KHGI) on December 24, 1953 from the Kearney area serving Kearney, Hastings, and Grand Island, later adding KHPL (now KWNB) Hayes Center in 1956, KHQL (later KCNA under NTV, later KBGT as an independent station, later KCAN as satellite of KCAU, now present day KLKN in Lincoln) Albion in 1964, and KHTL (later KSNB under NTV, KSNB as satellite of KTVG, dark between December 2009 and April 2013, KSNB as 10/11 Central Nebraska with My Network and METV, now KSNB the successor of the ex-former KHAS as NBC Nebraska) Superior in 1965 and 10-11 would finally be completed with KGIN signing on in 1961 from the Grand Island area serving Kearney, Hastings, and Grand Island. 10-11 now mostly focuses on the Lincoln area while sister station NBC Nebraska mostly focuses on the Kearney, Hastings, and Grand Island areas.

Brady could've wanted to sell WICZ/WBPN to Mission to focused on WSYT/WNYS and likely was counting on the sale of WICZ/WBPN to Mission under Nexstar to possibly compete with 14 other broadcasters I could think of possibly wanting to acquire NTV/KFXL from Harry Pappas/Pappas Telecasting under the Pappas Liquidating Trust with David Stapleton as the receivership trustee since Brady already had bought KSWT from Pappas: David Smith/Sinclair Broadcast Group, Mark Nalbone/Wyomedia, Terry Hurley/Cordillera Communications TV, Perry Sook/Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Vincent (Vince) Sadusky/Lin Media-Media General, Schurz, Morris Multimedia, Randy Bongarten/Bonten Media Group, William Pollack/Pollack/Belz Broadcasting, Gene Loving and John Trinder/Max Media, DuJuan McCoy/Bayou City Broadcasting, Bob Prather/Heartland Media, Saga Communications, and KLKN with owner-parent Philip Lombardo/Citadel Communications LLC with the possibly of Harry Pappas preferring to sell NTV/KFXL to either Sinclair Broadcast Group, Brian W Brady/Northwest Broadcasting, Mark Nalbone/Wyomedia, Cordillera Communications TV, or even Max Media with Sinclair Broadcast Group, Brian W Brady/Northwest Broadcasting, or even Max Media as the potential finalists with Sinclair Broadcast Group to reunite NTV/KFXL with KMPH/KFRE, KDBC, KPTM/KXVO, and KPTH/KMEG under Pappas and WWHO under Fant and Brian W Brady/Northwest Broadcasting to reunite NTV/KFXL with KSWT under Pappas as the contenders and front runners to be one of the winning bidders of NTV/KFXL over the objections of David Stapleton in selling NTV/KFXL with Stapleton likely preferring to allow KLKN with owner-parent Philip Lombardo/Citadel Communications LLC or Perry Sook/Nexstar who is trying to acquire KCWI from Pappas to acquire NTV/KFXL while Pappas preferring to sell NTV/KFXL to one of the broadcasters (Sinclair, Brady's Northwest under Eagle Creek, Nalbone's Wyomedia, Cordillera, Max Media) who owns and operate a station in the same TV DMA where NTV/KFXL competitor 10-11 and NBC Nebraska owner-parent Gray Television has TV stations there as well to acquire NTV and KFXL is more of a way for Harry Pappas to see NTV gets to keep the ABC affiliation and continue to be the separate independent ABC station for the Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, and North Platte areas to remained independent of Philip Lombardo and his Citadel Communications own Lincoln area based ABC affiliate KLKN within the Lincoln-Grand Island-Hastings-Kearney TV DMA market and trying to be able to have KFXL the ability to continue having their own over the air signal inside Lincoln independent from the now Sinclair Broadcast Group owned KPTM out of Omaha. Also has to do with those broadcasters and the broadcasting groups (Sinclair, Brady's Northwest under Eagle Creek, Nalbone's Wyomedia, Cordillera, Max Media) they are associated with also having to deal with competing with 10-11 and KHAS (now KSNB to become NBC Nebraska) various sister stations across various TV markets under Gray Television ownership.

Brian W Brady and Harry Pappas had criss cross with each other in the past due to Pappas buying what was then KBKI in Walla Walla, Washington as an unbuilt TV station while Brady keep KFFX/KCYU-LP as the FOX stations there while Pappas built KBKI to became KAZW as an affiliate of the Azteca America network in 2002 and finally as KCWK as an affiliate of the CW Plus before signing off in May 2008 due to the Pappas bankruptcy crisis later in an ironic twist of irony Brady acquiring KSWT from Pappas to from a duopoly with KYMA in Yuma, Arizona.

Let's not forget that WIVT's current graphics package is older than some of the people on this forum — it's turning 20 next year (WIVT has used it since 1998, but WIXT picked it up in 1996).

• 24994J locked this topic
  • Weeters unlocked this topic