Nexstar...again

Looks as if Nexstar is about to roll our a new website design. Was offered to take a survey on the new look. I have to say it is a major step up from their current design. I kinda like it. Reminds me a lot of Scripps current website look.

Yeah there's three potential designs they're looking at. If you scroll up we talked about KTVX offering similar survey.

At Last, FCC OKs Nexstar Buy Of Grant TVs

From TVNewscheck: It took over a year, but the agency finally approved Nexstar's $87.5 million acquisition of seven Grant stations with one being spun off to minority-owned Marshall Broadcasting. Marshall will own and operate KLJB Quad Cities-Davenport, Iowa, with the help of sales and shared services agreements with Nexstar.

• 3 weeks later...

It finally happened. KLAS in Las Vegas has been sold. But, the surprise buyer is Nexstar. I expect things to remain status quo at the station (except, of course, for its domain name).

This will compliment the southwestern cluster they're building very well.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/81015/nexstar-buying-klas-las-vegas-for-145m

It finally happened. KLAS in Las Vegas has been sold. But, the surprise buyer is Nexstar. I expect things to remain status quo at the station (except, of course, for its domain name).

This will compliment the southwestern cluster they're building very well.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/81015/nexstar-buying-klas-las-vegas-for-145m

That's surprising. I expect Nexstar to cheapen the station (for instance, ditch their news chopper. Nexstar hates choppers) and plaster the word "local" all over the place.

That's surprising. I expect Nexstar to cheapen the station (for instance, ditch their news chopper. Nexstar hates choppers) and plaster the word "local" all over the place.

Given they've actually been investing money in some of their latest properties (see Memphis, although it hasn't paid off for them yet), they might not do much. They should know if they do mess with anything, that will be a boon for KTNV and incoming owner Scripps (which actually does invest heavily in news, unlike Sinclair and Nexstar) or even KVVU.

I expect more staff turnover in the next year at KSNV than I do KLAS.

Given they've actually been investing money in some of their latest properties (see Memphis, although it hasn't paid off for them yet),

Offer void in Binghamton and to a degree Utica*. Then again, as I said in the No Emotion Box I think the stalled buy of WICZ is largely to get their news department.

*WUTR could stand to expand a little as much as WMBD, WDHN, KAMR, and KMID can use some TLC.

Back to KCWI, whether the Pappas' suit goes in their favor or doesn't, what happens to KDMI? Do they keep it in the interim and wait to sell the spectrum in the incentive auction, or do they sell it to one of the other three existing network affiliate owners in Iowa's state capitol (Tribune, Hearst or Sinclair)?

Given it's a This TV affiliate already, I could see Tribune buying KDMI... create a duopoly with WHO-DT, shove This TV to a subchannel and add syndicated shows to KDMI's main channel.

Back to KCWI, whether the Pappas' suit goes in their favor or doesn't, what happens to KDMI? Do they keep it in the interim and wait to sell the spectrum in the incentive auction, or do they sell it to one of the other three existing network affiliate owners in town (Tribune, Hearst or Sinclair)?

Given it's a This TV affiliate already, I could see Tribune as a buyer, create a duopoly with WHO-DT, shove This TV to a subchannel and add syndicated shows to KDMI's main channel.

But that would leave the market with seven unique owners. Maybe Dreamcatcher would buy it and Tribune would run it?

But that would leave the market with seven unique owners. Maybe Dreamcatcher would buy it and Tribune would run it?

Given that the FCC's tighter oversight of SSAs and the fact they've dismissed some SSA attempts recently (see previous couple pages), I'm not sure if that's possible. Unless Tribune uses a failing station waiver...? They did acquire KXNW using an existing FSW it had when Local TV bought that station a couple years back, and I'm not sure KDMI could survive in the longterm as a standalone given that it's not a Big Four affiliate.

Reuters stated today that the DOJ has allowed the Nexstar/ComCorp deal to go through, on a condition that they must divest WEVV.

As we know, WEVV is being sold to DuJuan McCoy's Bayou City Broadcasting.

So with this OK from thd DOJ, it should FINALLY receive the greenlight from the FCC, so this long-awaited ComCorp deal can finally close.

Reuters stated today that the DOJ has allowed the Nexstar/ComCorp deal to go through, on a condition that they must divest WEVV.

As we know, WEVV is being sold to DuJuan McCoy's Bayou City Broadcasting.

So with this OK from thd DOJ, it should FINALLY receive the greenlight from the FCC, so this long-awaited ComCorp deal can finally close.

FINALLY! This will at last be the end of Extreme on KTSM.

TriStateMatters.com, anyone?

Back to KCWI, whether the Pappas' suit goes in their favor or doesn't, what happens to KDMI?

Here's how I'd do a subchannel shuffle in Des Moines. Perhaps Nexstar and Pappas could do a deal with ION so that KFPX could move to KDMI's channel and get a stronger signal and wider coverage area.

KCWI → WOI (RF 23, VC 5) 5.1 ABC (720p HD), 5.2 CW (720p HD), 5.3 ThisTV (480i SD)

KDMI → KFPX (RF 19, VC 19) 19.1 ION (720p HD), 19.2 qubo (480i SD), 19.3 ION Life (480i SD), 19.4 ShopTV (480i SD), 19.5 QVC (480i SD), 19.6 HSN (480i SD)

WOI → ???? (RF 5, VC 23) (spun off) 23.1 ????

KFPX → ???? (RF 39, VC 39) (sold by ION) 39.1 ????

Somehow having three stations in Shreveport is halal?

I think the DOJ is only looking at market share and ignoring the duopoly concerns. Look at the Gannett-Belo second review; they ordered just the divestiture of St. Louis without (as actually happened) pressuring them to sell in Phoenix.

Somehow having three stations in Shreveport is halal?

As I stated back in August, Mission withdrew its apps for the Tyler & Baton Rouge properties, and it won't be any "rocky creeks" in Shreveport.

If Nexstar is wise, once this deal finally closes (and I say that with caution), they should let Marshall acquire WVLA, and move KSHV's programming KMSS's subchannel. And although I don't condone station shutdowns, who would want to buy a standalone-operated KSHV?

As for Iowa, I think that it would be less of a hassle for Tribune to acquire This TV and place it on a sub of WHO (I know that would degrade the PQ of main channel), instead of getting the full channel (via a FSW). Because I have a feeling Pappas wants to keep at least one station, once the spectrum auctions starts.