Nexstar...again

I was hoping that someone would have the wisdom to put news on WEVV, but I can't see it from this ownership. It's been 14 years since WEVV had a newscast.

Well, maybe they'll add news capsules like they did in San Angelo/Abilene. And a coincidence? Scripps happens to own the Evansville paper. They partnered with the Scripps paper in Abilene and San Angelo to do news capsules and maybe they can do it in Evansville too. If they want to top that off, they can pay a nearby CBS affiliate to simulcast their local news.

Well, maybe they'll add news capsules like they did in San Angelo/Abilene. And a coincidence? Scripps happens to own the Evansville paper. They partnered with the Scripps paper in Abilene and San Angelo to do news capsules and maybe they can do it in Evansville too. If they want to top that off, they can pay a nearby CBS affiliate to simulcast their local news.

To do news on WEVV now that it has a Fox subchannel, you'd need at least an evening, 9pm and 10pm show and I'd strongly suggest morning news. I cannot find a suitable newscast clause from CBS's affiliation contract. WTAJ's simply reads "the same amount of local news as you did when the agreement took effect". All the Fox contract from KFXL says is "if you start a local newscast you must join Fox News Edge".

If WEVV was going to do news, they would. They tried for a while, and although I thought their product was good, they couldn't make a dent in the ratings against the 3 established stations.

As for simulcasting a nearby CBS station, the closest one is Terre Haute's WTHI. No one in Evansville cares what goes on in Terre Haute. The next closest is Louisville's WLKY -same deal.

There's also the time zone difference to consider.

News isn't likely coming back to WEVV no matter who the owner is.

If WEVV was going to do news, they would. They tried for a while, and although I thought their product was good, they couldn't make a dent in the ratings against the 3 established stations.

As for simulcasting a nearby CBS station, the closest one is Terre Haute's WTHI. No one in Evansville cares what goes on in Terre Haute. The next closest is Louisville's WLKY -same deal.

There's also the time zone difference to consider.

News isn't likely coming back to WEVV no matter who the owner is.

Probably not but the reason I brought it up is because McCoy's previous stations, KIDY/KXVA, paid KABB to run their morning and 9PM news along with running their own news capsules. In the news capsules they referred to the KABB news as "regional and state headlines". They basically tried to give the impression the newscast was their own. They even ran some bumpers using the old SD Sinclair background and Daily News.

I'm pretty sure people in Abilene and San Angelo also don't care about San Antonio news and KABB never mentioned the arrangement aside from briefly doing a quick one-day forecast for Abilene and San Angelo.

Well. I know they had to do something. Did they really have a choice? The Allbritton deal is done and the ComCorp deal is still sitting there, now hitting the 15th month this Wednesday. They knew this had to get this done.

Have the DOJ/FTC sign-off on the ComCorp deal? If not, it's an extremely long wait. If DOJ/FTC finally sign-off on the deal, it may not be a speedy approval, because of a shell problem. Although they might sign-off on the Marshall properties in the Quads, Shreveport & Midland by a JSA waiver, what about ComCorp's other properties in Tyler & Baton Rouge? Unless they amend the application, and have a sharing arrangement for a short period of time, or eliminate the key sharing agreements entirely (option, sale of commercial time (JSA); maybe form a news carriage agreement), Wheeler would probably let it sit there, just like all the other deals with proposed sharing agreements.

But I hope with this, barring any further delay, this deal can finally be done.

Glad that DuJuan McCoy is finally coming back to the TV fold. He stated after selling KXVA/KIDY to London that he was planning on buying stations up-market. He made a big move with this deal. I'm hoping he'll get some more stations before too long.

I don't know why you think WEVV is a joke. Because it doesn't have news? There's a dozen other stations across the country in the same boat. Are they jokes to?

The market is just to small to support 4 stations doing news. Especially when you have established powerhouses like WFIE and WEHT (pre-merger with WTVW).

I don't know why you think WEVV is a joke. Because it doesn't have news? There's a dozen other stations across the country in the same boat. Are they jokes to?

The market is just to small to support 4 stations doing news. Especially when you have established powerhouses like WFIE and WEHT (pre-merger with WTVW).

Lack of news indeed, and yes I consider them jokes too. WFIE dominates the market anyway...

So every TV station should carry a newscast, regardless if the advertising is there to support it?

How, pray tell, should salaries for anchors, reporters, photogs, directors, producers, etc be paid? Or are they supposed to work out of the goodness of their heart For the "love of the craft?"

Or should TV station owners simply never turn a profit or break even?

So every TV station should carry a newscast, regardless if the advertising is there to support it?

How, pray tell, should salaries for anchors, reporters, photogs, directors, producers, etc be paid? Or are they supposed to work out of the goodness of their heart For the "love of the craft?"

Or should TV station owners simply never turn a profit or break even?

I understand the economics of it—and that American television is very much driven by economics—but the reason I say that is because it's embarrassing for a major (Big 3!) network affiliate, even in a DMA as small as Evansville, to completely lack local news.

I'm sure KDNL and WWJ do just fine without it, but the lack of a local newscast really dings the stations' credibility here on this forum. There's a reason we consider KDNL and WWJ to be jokes, and it has everything to do with their lack of solid local news.

I understand the economics of it—and that American television is very much driven by economics—but the reason I say that is because it's embarrassing for a major (Big 3!) network affiliate, even in a DMA as small as Evansville, to completely lack local news.

I'm sure KDNL and WWJ do just fine without it, but the lack of a local newscast really dings the stations' credibility here on this forum. There's a reason we consider KDNL and WWJ to be jokes, and it has everything to do with their lack of solid local news.

NewsCentral was a joke. The stations still had a newscast, but I think it needs to go further than just having a newscast run by something like INN or whatever. The newscast being from the station helps, because that creates a sense of community. If it's a story that "hits home," then how is someone at INN going to cope with the news and feel the same way as someone in the specific DMA?

NewsCentral was a joke. The stations still had a newscast, but I think it needs to go further than just having a newscast run by something like INN or whatever. The newscast being from the station helps, because that creates a sense of community. If it's a story that "hits home," then how is someone at INN going to cope with the news and feel the same way as someone in the specific DMA?

I hate to say this but I actually question whether someone based in the DMA would also cope and feel the same way as someone at INN. A lot of the people who work in local news are from out of market and may not connect to a story the same way as a native or established resident who's lived in the community for a long while. A lot of people who work in local news think, "I want to move up as much as possible" and may see their job as just that, a job to gain experience and they want to get out as soon as possible.

Then there's those whose top goal is working in their hometown. I think the ones who work in their hometown or love a community so much they stay at the same station 10, 20 30+ years, I think are the ones who connect to a story more and ultimately do a better job.

And KDNL didn't even have a news operation long enough for it to benefit from NewsCentral.

Locally produced and in-house news > locally produced but not in-house news, with exception of some Fox affiliates (example: WXLV) > news produced halfway across the US (INN or NewsCentral, even though NewsCentral was hybrid local/national) > no news at all. WEVV doesn't even have an INN newscast to fall back on. It has no news whatsoever.

And KDNL didn't even have a news operation long enough for it to benefit from NewsCentral.

Locally produced and in-house news > locally produced but not in-house news, with exception of some Fox affiliates (example: WXLV) > news produced halfway across the US (INN or NewsCentral, even though NewsCentral was hybrid local/national) > no news at all. WEVV doesn't even have an INN newscast to fall back on. It has no news whatsoever.

But there's other places to go for news. And if you in a one-station market, you at least have the local paper as a source to cancel out on. It doesn't hurt anybody when the CBS affiliate in Evansville doesn't have a local newscast when you've the NBC and ABC who do as well as the newspaper and local news radio station. Just like in St. Louis, there's still 3 places to go for local news plus the Post-Dispatch, KMOX, KTRS, and Emmis' FM station. So it's not like the people in the Gateway to the West are losing out, neither the people in Evansville. Yes, it may look bad but in the end life goes on...

There was no way they would get away with owning 3 out of 4 stations in the market. But WEVV is a joke station right now and likely will continue to be. It would be difficult to shut down since how do they put 5 stations onto a single signal?

They couldn't.

Even if the WEVV sale had gone through and it and WEHT shut down (which would have been the most likely scenario, since WTVW has the strongest signal of the three (1000 kW, UHF 28)), there is no way they could have put ABC, CBS, FOX, The CW, and Bounce TV on one signal without a big loss in picture quality. They could maybe do one 720p channel, but otherwise it would have to be crappy standard-def.

WEVV does have a repeater in Evansville that broadcasts its FOX subchannel in HD, but as with any LPTV signal, it takes a good antenna to pick it up outside the immediate Evansville area.

• 2 weeks later...

And now it appears to finally be some movement in the ComCorp deal.

Okay, here's the WEVV app of the sale to Bayou City Broadcasting, posted last Tuesday (8/5).

On that same day, the KFXK (sister to KETK) application from White Knight to Mission has been DISMISSED. And just yesterday (8/13), the WVLA (sister to WGMB) application from White Knight to Mission has also been DISMISSED.

Wait, I almost forgot. Also on that same day (8/5) the KSHV application (sister to KMSS) assigned from White Knight to the newly female controlled, Rocky Creek Communications, was also DISMISSED. I guess we're not going to any rocky creeks anytime soon.

I'm not too sure what that means in Baton Rouge & East Texas. If ComCorp is gone, White Knight is not going to stay put.

One option could be to reassign the station to Marshall (they'll probably might wait until those other 3 get the greenlight). Or another option could be following the other groups like Sinclair & Gray and play that same moving channel switches and surrendering the license of the adjacent stations. So far they haven't done that in Grand Junction, CO, where they're still waiting for FCC approval on KFQX (assigned to Mission).

Of course they're obviously doing this now because that outside date is coming up.

• 1 month later...

Inergize seems to be letting its clients use the Nexstar templates.now; Morris Multimedia seems to be shifting some of its sites to it.

http://www.41nbc.com/home

http://www.wtvq.com/home

Ironically, two of Morris's former stations (WDHN and KARK) are owned by Nexstar. Thankfully they didn't get their silly domain names (LexingtonHomepage? MaconMatters?). I still think those navbars need to be restyled a bit (bolder font?), it looks too plain.

• 3 weeks later...

KTVX is considering several new designs for its website. There are three possibilities but you'll probably only be shown one. If you refresh this page and click it again you should be able to get another design.

Note the url, ibdigitalagency.com. So, Nexstar must be migrating from Inergize to Internet Broadcasting? Actually, are they merging into one CMS company to give WorldNow a run for their money? I ask because Nexstar consolidated Inergize into IB's offices earlier this year.

They're waking up and realizing the current design (which is just a refined version of what they used when their sites were on Joomla) is not very good.

The first design I got was nice, it's an improved version of Tribune's sites but it looks a lot more functional and user friendly, blending the best of the blogging layout with a functional news interface.

The second is a time machine to WorldNow circa 2003, yuck. I will likely answer the survey on that and tell them it sucks.

Never got the third one.

With some luck I did get the third one finally. It's OK, it reminds me a lot of KSAT's current site, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if IB actually did do their new site.

The first one, A, is by far the best. I hope that's the one they go with.

Well, we heard the news yesterday that Nexstar is buying Phoenix's KASW, which I didn't see this coming from a mile away. But this afternoon, Mike Malone from the B&C states his sources said that Nexstar might be getting Pappas' Des Moines CW station KCWI next. Perry Sook didn't confirm the news but the article states that he "said he hoped to do so "Very soon."

Nexstar already owns the ABC station there, WOI-DT. And Pappas trustee wants to unload the stations it has left. The question is, should this stick and Nexstar does acquire KCWI, could it also include moving the program stream of its This TV affil on KDMI?

But it is a good thing that the broadcasters ARE buying the lower rated stations and not these spectrum speculators.

Well' date=' we heard the news yesterday that Nexstar is buying Phoenix's KASW, which I didn't see this coming from a mile away. But this afternoon, Mike Malone from the B&C states his sources said that Nexstar might be getting Pappas' Des Moines CW station KCWI next. Perry Sook didn't confirm the news but the article states that he "said he hoped to do so "Very soon."

And if the sale goes through, Des Moines will still have eight unique station owners.

Acorrding TV Newscheck: Nexstar Buying KASW Phoenix For $68M

The deal for the CW affiliate is a result of Meredith agreeing to spin off the station after buying it along with KTVK from Gannett in June.

Nexstar Broadcasting Group is paying $68 million plus working capital to Meredith Corp. for CW affiliate KASW Phoenix (DMA 11). Meredith and its sidecar SagamoreHill purchased KASW from Gannett Co. and Sander Media as part of Gannett’s acquisition of Belo Corp. As part of FCC approval, Meredith and SagamoreHill voluntarily agreed to divest KASW to an independent buyer within 90 days of its June 19 closing.

Nexstar said the proposed acquisition “is expected to be accretive to Nexstar’s operating results immediately upon closing and inclusive of all other previously announced transactions, will expand the company’s coverage to 57 markets in 22 states, reaching approximately 19.7 million television households.

Source TVNewscheck

:)