Nexstar...again

MyGrandJunction.com?

I could see NorthwestFloridaOnline.com or PanhandleHomePage.com making a return to WMBB, especially if they still own the rights to those domain names. The first one was used as a separate community portal in the last days of Media General's ownership and the last one (PanhandleParade.com) was the actual hosting site for WMBB.com after Hoak took over.

I could see NorthwestFloridaOnline.com or PanhandleHomePage.com making a return to WMBB, especially if they still own the rights to those domain names. The first one was used as a separate community portal in the last days of Media General's ownership and the last one was the actual hosting site for WMBB.com after Hoak took over.

Didn't they use panhandleparade.com at one point?

• 3 weeks later...

First of all I came across this nearly year old interview from D Magazine with Perry Sook:

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-ceo/2013/march/breakfast-with-perry-sook-of-nexstar-broadcasting

This is my favorite quote:

“If we tried to run 39 markets by remote control from an office tower in Dallas, we’d be a colossal failure,”

Try telling that to Sinclair...

And also, when did Nexstar take over the Citadel stations (excluding KLKN and WLNE)? They are listed on Nexstar's stations list already and Nexstar is mentioned on the jobs sections of the station sites. But I don't recall the FCC greenlighting it yet...

First of all I came across this nearly year old interview from D Magazine with Perry Sook:

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-ceo/2013/march/breakfast-with-perry-sook-of-nexstar-broadcasting

This is my favorite quote:

Try telling that to Sinclair...

And also, when did Nexstar take over the Citadel stations (excluding KLKN and WLNE)? They are listed on Nexstar's stations list already and Nexstar is mentioned on the jobs sections of the station sites. But I don't recall the FCC greenlighting it yet...

Click on each of the applications (WHBF, KCAU and WOI). Each made time brokerage agreements on the date of the announcement of the deal (9/16/13). Last year KSEE 24 had a similar TBA, before they received the greenlight from the FCC.

• 2 months later...

We are now at exactly TEN months since they filed those ComCorp apps, yet they are still waiting for that greenlight from the FCC. In fact about it, all five pending deals are awaiting the greenlight (ComCorp, Citadel, Grant, WICZ & Gray/Hoak spinoffs).

Recenty, Nexstar (just like other broadcasters including Sinclair) filed comments to the FCC making their pitch to keep the status quo on those sharing arrangements, as Wheeler could be making plans to curb those JSAs as early as the end of the month. One of the paragraphs includes their pending sales that are still waiting for their approval.

The representatives stated that four transactions involving JSA/SSAs

between Nexstar and Mission are currently pending in applications now before the

Media Bureau. These transactions are structured to conform to well-established

Media Bureau precedent on which Nexstar and Mission reasonably relied but,

despite their long pendency, have not been acted on. These transactions collectively

are valued at just under $500 million. Nexstar and Mission are paying costly

ticking fees for continued access to acquisition financing. Messrs. Sook and

Thatcher contended that these pending transactions should be approved under the

current rules, as were the Belo-Gannett and Tribune-Local TV transactions, subject

to any rule changes that the Commission might subsequently make.

Yes, I wish they would just hurry up on ComCorp already. I think it will go through, but not as-is. They've gotta go back and revise it instead of just sitting around hoping it will get approved exactly as it is. The second shell company is not going to work in Evansville and they need to just let American Spirit pick it up.

For the rest of the stations I don't see anything wrong with it, since they're just continuing the status quo.

I'm still wondering why Citadel hasn't gone through. No conflicts. I understand they want to get Grant as well and there's a confilict in the Quad Cities, but that shouldn't stop them from ruling on Citadel now.

Things are not looking good for the broadcasting industry right now and Wheeler's anti-business strategy...

Agreed, the Citadel deal is clean and can definitely be approved as is.

As for the ComCorp deal, they definitely should order a divestment of assets in Evansville (either WEVV or the existing WTVW/WEHT duopoly) and Shreveport (either KTAL or the KMSS/KSHV duopoly) to a third party. Who would be willing to pick up those divested assets?

Agreed, the Citadel deal is clean and can definitely be approved as is.

As for the ComCorp deal, they definitely should order a divestment of assets in Evansville (either WEVV or the existing WTVW/WEHT duopoly) and Shreveport (either KTAL or the KMSS/KSHV duopoly) to a third party. Who would be willing to pick up those divested assets?

Nexstar isn't going to let go of KTAL. KMSS or KSHV could go to American Spirit (probably KSHV, Nexstar likely wants KMSS). But it could go either way and I could see KMSS going to American Spirit. ArkLaTex News Now anyone?

I'm still wondering why Citadel hasn't gone through. No conflicts. I understand they want to get Grant as well and there's a confilict in the Quad Cities, but that shouldn't stop them from ruling on Citadel now.

Things are not looking good for the broadcasting industry right now and Wheeler's anti-business strategy...

Okay. Maybe there's probably some light in the end of the tunnel, yet they still have a long way to go.

On Wednesday, the FCC did greenlighted the Citadel stations, WOI, WHBF & KCAU. They are still waiting for the Grant stations, which includes the two stations that are in the Quad Citites. They are acquiring KGCW through a failed station waiver, and KLJB is being assigned to Mission.

Plus, deals from Gray/Hoak spin-offs, WICZ being assigned to Mission, and the big one, ComCorp, which those apps have been sitting their since they filed that paperwork on May 6 of last year.

Looks like Nexstar is ready to start in-house ops in the Upper Peninsula.

TVNewsCheck states that in April, WJMN will have a separate 6 & 11pm newscasts on WJMN Channel 3 in Marquette, MI. The new newscasts will be house in a "new state-of-the-art facility" which will be known as "WJMN-TV Plaza". Former WBKP-WBUP news director Cynthia Thompson, will serve as an ND and news anchor for the separate "Local 3" newscasts.

Meanwhile, Nexstar has also announced that it will be acquiring Internet Broadcasting Systems for $20M.

Looks like Nexstar is ready to start in-house ops in the Upper Peninsula.

TVNewsCheck states that in April, WJMN will have a separate 6 & 11pm newscasts on WJMN Channel 3 in Marquette, MI. The new newscasts will be house in a "new state-of-the-art facility" which will be known as "WJMN-TV Plaza". Former WBKP-WBUP news director Cynthia Thompson, will serve as an ND and news anchor for the separate "Local 3" newscasts.

Well it's about time!!! This may actually challenge WLUC in the ratings, unlike WBUP.

I don't understand why they feel they need to have two different content platform groups. Shouldn't Inergize be enough for them?

Maybe they'll be able to make a website that's user-friendly and easy on the eyes for once.

Doubt it. You would've thought that after they got Inergize they would've done that, but no, they just took the existing design and adapted it to the Inergize CMS. Which means someone within Nexstar really loves that layout...

I don't understand why they feel they need to have two different content platform groups. Shouldn't Inergize be enough for them?

Doubt it. You would've thought that after they got Inergize they would've done that, but no, they just took the existing design and adapted it to the Inergize CMS. Which means someone within Nexstar really loves that layout...

Good point. I also wonder if this means that station groups like Hearst will need to find another website designer or if Nexstar will allow them to keep working with IBSYS.

I'm surprised no one has moved on the ComCorp deal...at what point can they just walk away?

The stock purchase agreement has an 18 month clause:

"[This can be terminated] by written notice of Buyers to Sellers’ Representatives, or by Sellers’ Representatives to Buyers, if the Closing does not occur by the date that is eighteen (18) months after the date of this Agreement (such date, the “Outside Date”), unless the Closing has not occurred by such date as a result of a material breach of this Agreement by the Party providing such notice of termination."

That would be in October or November of this year.

Good point. I also wonder if this means that station groups like Hearst will need to find another website designer or if Nexstar will allow them to keep working with IBSYS.

Hearst and P-N reupped with IBS just before the Nexstar purchase was announced, so it looks like it won't become proprietary to Nexstar.

The Nexstar/Citadel deal appears to be closed.

Consummation papers of WOI, WHBF & KCAU was posted on this morning (3/17).

Nexstar still has a long wait to go......

Website predictions, anyone?

WOI: CentralIowaMatters.com

WHBF: QuadCitiesHomepage.net

KCAU: SiouxlandHomepage.net

Website predictions, anyone?

WOI: CentralIowaMatters.com

WHBF: QuadCitiesHomepage.net

KCAU: SiouxlandHomepage.net

I was thinking it would be more like this:

WOI: IowaFirst.com (since Des Moines is the capital city and all)

WHBF: 4theQuadCities.com or WeAreTheQuadCities.com

BTW, KCAU has their own Nexstar page up under the domain http://www.SiouxLandMatters.com.

Also, in terms of WOI and KCAU, how long before we see a statewide newscast along the lines of Arkansas Today?