NBC 5 beat ABC 7 in July Ratings??

NBC 5 Chicago

So, I've seen a few posts from NBC 5 reporters on Facebook this week that they beat ABC 7 for the first time ever for the month of July!

From Rob Elgas on Thursday:

HEY YOU! THANK YOU!

Wanted to share something great. And it's because of ALL of you.

We've been feeling pretty good here at NBC Chicago.

We're proud to say our 10pm newscast was #1 in July, beating the once mighty Channel 7 in the demographic of adults 25-54. It's a promising sign and it makes all of us here so grateful you all are watching our show.

We work so hard, every night, to bring you current, well written stories. Our team is the best I've ever worked with.

To all of you, THANKS!

Makes me proud to be a Chicagoan. And proud to be a member of the best newsroom in town.

Cheers, Rob

And Michelle Relerford posted this today:

1004481_548613245176166_1950075029_n.jpg

I haven't seen anyone post the official numbers but thoughts on this?

This, in my opinion, was well deserved. They went above and beyond channel 7 working very hard in the past year to improve ratings. New set, new anchor pairings, more reporters, more news, a great investigative team and a comprehensive storm team. Well done NBC 5!

This, in my opinion, was well deserved. They went above and beyond channel 7 working very hard in the past year to improve ratings. New set, new anchor pairings, more reporters, more news, a great investigative team and a comprehensive storm team. Well done NBC 5!

Yeah, I think ABC 7 is getting too complacent with their status in Chicago news and as a result, the competition has finally caught up to them. I'm surprised CBS 2 isn't up there as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/07/25/wls-channel-7-remains-on-top-in-july.html

I couldn't find anything about the morning numbers (which are tight 3-channel race), but yes, NBC5 did technically win the demo...a close 3.2 to 3.1. I wouldn't exactly be bragging yet, they still got thumped in total viewers. Call me when they do this for a string of months. A tenth of a point victory is easily debated, and I'd be concerned that they couldn't keep the huge ratings they got in June.

Any competition is good competition for sure, but WMAQ's job is far from over. Ratings can be manipulated to say anything, especially between 'The Tower', 'The Mothership' and The Trib' (that's what I'm going to call 5, 7 and 9 now).

Any victory against a powerhouse station in any market is still a victory. WMAQ should be proud of themselves. Why yes, it may have been just a .1 advantage over them, it's still better than what WLS managed to do. Of course, wait until November and see how things pan out then. I suspect that two things will happen: WMAQ is so pumped up right now that they'll continue doing their best to either take down WLS or at least improve and/or WLS will do what they need to in order to knock WMAQ back down "in its place."

Cough.

Yeah, I totally understand why ABC7's going in the dumper in the morning (promos aside)...it's just plain awful. The 4 o'clock show is more fun and light than the morning show. I just cannot watch it anymore.

ABC 7 News, overall, has become unwatchable for me: arrogant talent, talentless talent, poor journalism, stale graphics, a painfully unchanged talent open since God was a baby, news music is OK but in need of an ultra update!

I switched to NBC 5 News last year with all of their fantastic changes and will not be returning to 7 anytime soon!

Circle seven has been encircled by NBC 5 and the demographical noose is getting tighter. Alas, the peacock has risen like a phoenix from the pyre!

Archived