Drayton OUT at FOX29

PhillyWatch

As of Friday's "Good Day", reports TV Spy

Bummer. He was shoehorned out of the evening gig but seemed to be clicking well in early AM.

IMHO, Drayton/Barrett/Bolaris/Gargano was as fun as 29 has been at 10 since Huddleston/Stensland/Guarino/Tollefson. Gave reason to stick around 'til 10:59.

Now? Eh, not so much...

I never thought I'd be sad to see him go, but I kind of am.

I never liked him as lead anchor, and the fact that he was saddled with one of the worst formats ever (PhillyWatch, gotta disagree on you there) didn't help. But he surprisingly clicked with the morning shift, and I think he's better for that kind of role. That said, this really is not surprising - it was obvious that he was on the way out the moment they moved him to 4:25.

He's indicated that he wants to stay in Philly, but we'll see. I don't know where he can go in the market. KYW sorely needs an infusion of talent, but the last time they hired the 10pm Fox anchor they bungled it badly. I really don't think WCAU will add him because of how hard their format is these days - plus their talent lineup is really starting to gel. I really like Jacqueline London, Vai has been a revelation at the anchor desk, and I seriously wouldn't mind if they just stuck with Renee for the 6 and 11. And WPVI... well, they haven't ever hired from the competition, and they're not going to start now. :p

Best of luck to Drayton in his future endeavors.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO, Drayton/Barrett/Bolaris/Gargano was as fun as 29 has been at 10 since Huddleston/Stensland/Guarino/Tollefson. Gave reason to stick around 'til 10:59.

Sorry to say, but I strongly disagree. 29 hasn't been fun to watch since the days of Dawn and Dave, Rob and Tolly. Unfortunately, though, everyone seems to get talking heads that don't exude a whole lot of personality. It's unfortunate, really, but I frankly never liked Thomas Drayton's delivery. That and he went by "Thomas"...

Sorry to say, but I strongly disagree. 29 hasn't been fun to watch since the days of Dawn and Dave, Rob and Tolly. Unfortunately, though, everyone seems to get talking heads that don't exude a whole lot of personality. It's unfortunate, really, but I frankly never liked Thomas Drayton's delivery. That and he went by "Thomas"...

It's getting better. You obviously haven't watched Good Day lately, cuz it's gotten really good. And Scott Williams and Howard Eskin are huge upgrades at weather and sports. (Bolaris' 29 stint was absolutely wretched. It was so obvious he didn't care.)

No, it is nowhere near the quality of Dawn/Dave/Rob/Tolly, but since that had to be one of the best lineups ever assembled in this city - yes, up there with Gardner/Roberts/Papa - it's unrealistic to expect them to top that. But I'd like to see 29 let the 10pm team be themselves like they allowed the Good Day team to be themselves. Sheinelle Jones and Mike Jerrick have done the impossible and surpassed the team of Donya Archer and Jerrick.

Archived