WMAQ Expands Weekend Morning News

CircleSeven

TVNewsCheck states that WMAQ is expanding it's weekend morning newscasts. These new changes go in effect on July 27th.

WMAQ will be the first station in the market to have both Saturday & Sunday morning newscasts to occupy the 5am hour. WMAQ will also be adding a half-hour Sunday Morning newscast, after Meet The Press at 10am.

I know many markets have 5am newscasts on the weekends like Los Angeles, Boston & Orlando. But here, I don't think there's that much of a need to have news at that hour on the weekends. Not that its too much of an issue, if anyone that's leaving the Friday graveyard shift, just to watch the news before snoozing when the sun come up, I think its just too early to have news on the weekend.

Let's see...WLS by November, WGN adds a co-anchor and expands by the new year? LOL

Might as well for Channel 7. They're already going to shave off 5 hours of weekday news once WCL moves to 11am or 9/2, but will gain an hour on the new Saturday 9am news. If they add a 5am on both days, would only give them 2 hours loss. But I don't they will go that crazy immediately. They'll probably do the 'wait and see' method.

They surely didn't do the wait and see method when WGN announced they were going to move its news to 4:30am in Fall 2010. WLS went with it almost a month prior to that. I'm shocked the other stations didn't follow WGN's lead on competing at 4am. America This Morning/CBS Morning News/Early Today do their live feeds at 4am/ET. If they do want to expand to 4am, they can easily air the network shows at 3:30am. WFLD could easily do a 4am.

Might as well for Channel 7. They're already going to shave off 5 hours of weekday news once WCL moves to 11am or 9/9, but will gain an hour on the new Saturday 9am news. If they add a 5am on both days, would only give them 2 hours loss. But I don't they will go that crazy immediately. They'll probably do the 'wait and see' method.

They surely didn't do the wait and see method when WGN announced they were going to move its news to 4:30am in Fall 2010. WLS went with it almost a month prior to that. I'm shocked the other stations didn't follow WGN's lead on competing at 4am. America This Morning/CBS Morning News/Early Today do their live feeds at 4am/ET. If they do want to expand to 4am, they can easily air the network shows at 3:30am. WFLD could easily do a 4am.

'FLD shouldn't be doing the 9am hour, hardly do they need to go from 4am.

TVNewsCheck states that WMAQ is expanding it's weekend morning newscasts. These new changes go in effect on July 27th.

WMAQ will be the first station in the market to have both Saturday & Sunday morning newscasts to occupy the 5am hour. WMAQ will also be adding a half-hour Sunday Morning newscast, after Meet The Press at 10am.

I know many markets have 5am newscasts on the weekends like Los Angeles, Boston & Orlando. But here, I don't think there's that much of a need to have news at that hour on the weekends. Not that its too much of an issue, if anyone that's leaving the Friday graveyard shift, just to watch the news before snoozing when the sun come up, I think its just too early to have news on the weekend.

It's more of a pro-active thing. KGTV here in San Diego started doing weekend morning news in October 2012 and they do the news from 5-7 and 8-9am Sat/Sun. It gives them a leg up on the competition by at least one hour which is when the independent station (KUSI) starts their newscast. I would say it has worked well for KABC otherwise they probably would have canned a 5am weekend newscast by now, but they've had it for over 10 years now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived