WNBC Adds Anchor

nynewslover

He is basically eye candy. He always was for all the stations he worked at. I will say he has gotten better than when he first started anchoring but I think there is an agenda behind hiring him. WNBC is doing what they did when they hired Shiba. I must say that I am kind of excited, just to see what there real motive is and how it will play out. I do wish that WNBC get a permanent line up and stick to it instead of throwing people around. They only have one stable team and that is mornings. I just really hope they won't screw this up when I really think they are.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is basically eye candy. He always was for all the stations he worked at. I will say he has gotten better than when he first started anchoring but I think there is an agenda behind hiring him. WNBC is doing what they did when they hired Shiba. I must say that I am kind of excited, just to see what there real motive is and how it will play out. I do wish that WNBC get a permanent line up and stick to it instead of throwing people around. They only have one stable team and that is mornings. I just really hope they won't screw this up when I really think they are.

Hopefully his hiring will lead to more stable anchor teams in the evenings and afternoons...Also do you think this will lead to a 4pm newscast...If that's the case it could be...

Today in NY-Darlene and Michael

Noon- Rob and Erika

4pm-Rob and Erika (So wnbc can say 'Watch Rob and Erika weekdays at noon and 4pm' and form a stable anchor team for afternoons)

5pm-Chuck and Shiba

6pm-Tom (However I think Chuck would rather do 6pm solo since he has done that for years)

11pm-Chuck and Shiba

Hopefully his hiring will lead to more stable anchor teams in the evenings and afternoons...Also do you think this will lead to a 4pm newscast...If that's the case it could be...

Today in NY-Darlene and Michael

Noon- Rob and Erika

4pm-Rob and Erika (So wnbc can say 'Watch Rob and Erika weekdays at noon and 4pm' and form a stable anchor team for afternoons)

5pm-Chuck and Shiba

6pm-Tom (However I think Chuck would rather do 6pm solo since he has done that for years)

11pm-Chuck and Shiba

I could see the future being like this:

Today in NY - Erika & Rob

Noon - Darlene & Michael

4 - Darlene & Michael

5 - Shiba & Tom

6 - Chuck (David Ushery or Gus Rosendale after Chuck Retires)

7 - Gus

10 - (If there ever was one, I could see it being anchored by David Ushery and someone else)

11 - Shiba & Tom.

I have a feeling that once Chuck retires Tom will more then likely get the 11 pm anchor spot. The reason I say this is because Tom & Shiba seem to get along and seem to work really well together. Also I've seen Tom fill in more often for Chuck then I've seen anyone else.

I could see the future being like this:

Today in NY - Erika & Rob

Noon - Darlene & Michael

4 - Darlene & Michael

5 - Shiba & Tom

6 - Chuck (David Ushery or Gus Rosendale after Chuck Retires)

7 - Gus

10 - (If there ever was one, I could see it being anchored by David Ushery and someone else)

11 - Shiba & Tom.

I have a feeling that once Chuck retires Tom will more then likely get the 11 pm anchor spot. The reason I say this is because Tom & Shiba seem to get along and seem to work really well together. Also I've seen Tom fill in more often for Chuck then I've seen anyone else.

Why would they pull Darlene and Michael off Today in NY?

If it ain't broke don't fix it...Today in NY was #1 from 4:30-6 and #2 from 6:00-7 this past may sweeps period...Prob. due to the fact that they have not only a stable anchor team but an overall stable team between Darlene, Michael, Chris and Lauren...wnbc should work on that for the evenings. Also this past May sweeps wnbc 5pm fell behind wnyw...that's not good even for wnbc standards, mabey wnbc is thinking a 4pm newscast might be a better lead in?

If it ain't broke don't fix it...Today in NY was #1 from 4:30-6 and #2 from 6:00-7 this past may sweeps period...Prob. due to the fact that they have not only a stable anchor team but an overall stable team between Darlene, Michael, Chris and Lauren...wnbc should work on that for the evenings. Also this past May sweeps wnbc 5pm fell behind wnyw...that's not good even for wnbc standards, mabey wnbc is thinking a 4pm newscast might be a better lead in?

Exactly. I really don't get why they don't have Darlene and Michael do the noon, too.

Today in NY has a very strong team. In my opinion, the best in the mornings out of all the stations. That should not be messed with.

I don't think WNBC has much expectations for the 12pm newscast. They were absent for many years in that time slot leaving it to WCBS and WABC to battle it out. It's very hard to expect viewers to all of a sudden jump ship to watch. Their ratings at noon were pretty dismal during the last sweep.

It was a bad idea for them to have dropped Judge Judy from their air. Ever since Judge Judy started to air on WCBS, their ratings at 5pm have steadily increased. They need a strong lead in for their early evening and late news. Judging from the network up-fronts, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

If it ain't broke don't fix it...Today in NY was #1 from 4:30-6 and #2 from 6:00-7 this past may sweeps period...

Where did you get the numbers? Last I checked WABC was #1 in households the whole morning but WNBC had the demo from 4:30-6am and WABC had the demo from 6-7am. I think the info you have is the Demo not households.

Where did you get the numbers? Last I checked WABC was #1 in households the whole morning but WNBC had the demo from 4:30-6am and WABC had the demo from 6-7am. I think the info you have is the Demo not households.

Yes your right, my bad I did mean the demo but that's still good for wnbc and proves Today in New York is still a strong team up against WABC.

No Rob Schmitt again today, its Tom and Erika...mabey Rob started yesterday but won't make his anchor debut until later this week or next week.

From what I understand Rob was actually supposed to be on the anchor desk as of yesterday but oh well I'd rather have Tom at the anchor desk. Rob isn't that great as an anchor.

http://tunedinnyc.com/?p=871

Wow! This must be the reason he was not on the noon...your right JoseRM303 he's not good...hopefully he will get better.

Yikes I missed that must be why. He seems to be better doing reports from out in the field, but not so much at the anchor desk or in a news room. Maybe instead of having him doing the Noon show they can either keep Tom on there, or in addition to his Today in NY duties have Michael co-anchor with Erika. That way way Tom can still do the 5 and his I-team duties, and they can still have a 2 person team for the noon show.

He posted on Twitter he went golfing a few days ago. Maybe he should have been watching WNBC instead and actually know their moniker. Interesting that WNBC would hire someone that is subpar at what he was hire to do (based on comments). Even though no one really watches the noon broadcast, you would expect them to keep up the standards.

He posted on Twitter he went golfing a few days ago. Maybe he should have been watching WNBC instead and actually know their moniker. Interesting that WNBC would hire someone that is subpar at what he was hire to do (based on comments). Even though no one really watches the noon broadcast, you would expect them to keep up the standards.

WNBC's sister station in LA KNBC has a different moniker. For example a reporter at WNBC will say "I'm so and so reporting live in Brooklyn News 4 NY" in LA the reporter would go "I'm so and so reporting live in LA NBC 4 News" So more then likely he mixed the two together.

He'll start on the noon this coming Monday.

Lame I wish Tom would stay on the Noon show, or heck even put Michael Gargiulo on the noon show. But Rob will get better with time. BTW is Contessa officially on maternity leave? I haven't seen her in a couple weeks and I've seen various reporters or even Scott Stanford anchoring the 7 pm show on Thursday's & Friday's

Lame I wish Tom would stay on the Noon show, or heck even put Michael Gargiulo on the noon show. But Rob will get better with time. BTW is Contessa officially on maternity leave? I haven't seen her in a couple weeks and I've seen various reporters or even Scott Stanford anchoring the 7 pm show on Thursday's & Friday's

Contessa is probably on maternity leave...Chances are Gus Rosendale will be filling in for her...as I've said before I think they should have gotten Gus to just anchor the Noon, they have more anchors than they need which I guess is good on holidays lol.

He'll start on the noon this coming Monday.

Just curious, where did you hear Rob was starting on monday 7/22 ?

Contessa is probably on maternity leave...Chances are Gus Rosendale will be filling in for her...as I've said before I think they should have gotten Gus to just anchor the Noon, they have more anchors than they need which I guess is good on holidays lol.

Just curious, where did you hear Rob was starting on monday 7/22 ?

I've seen them using Scott Stanford more and more on Thursday's and Friday's anchoring the 7 pm show.

I meant filling in for her in the mornings on Weekend Today in NY

Oh that's true although on the weekends I'm usually sleeping ha. Anyway another thought of mine is the anchor teams.

Today in NY Darlene & Michael

Noon Erika & Michael

5 Shiba & Tom

6 Chuck

7 Erika

11 Shiba & Chuck

Weekends

Weekend Today in NY Pat & Rob

6 & 11 Contessa & David.

Erika would be permanent on the Noon & 7 pm shows M - F, Contessa would be permanent on the 6 & 11 pm weekend newscasts.

Well the NBC O&O stations did pick up the Meredith Viera show for fall 2014. So I assume she would take the slot left by Jeff Probst. A bit off topic but I found a way to see the 11 pm weeknight anchors getting ready for the show doing the promos etc.

1. Go to NBCNEWYORK.COM

2. Watch the 7 pm live stream, once it ends don't close out the browser, instead leave it up and running.

3. Check back around 9:30p and you can see Shiba and whoever the heck else with her since Chuck hasnt been on in a couple weeks. You can see them miking up, putting in IFBs, putting on makeup etc. Also depending if the sound is on or not you can sometimes hear some of them letting a few "choice" words slip. For example Scott Stanford was getting ready and he was off camera however the sound was going and he said "My suit is f***ked up"

Archived