WNBC Adds Anchor

nynewslover

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is why? WNBC are hiring anchors but they don't have a stable team in place. My suggestion is straighten up your line up and then hire where you see fit.

My suggested line up

Morning: Darlene and Michael

Noon and 5 p.m.: Tom and Erika

6 p.m. and 11 p.m.: Shiba and Chuck (replace with Gus Rosendale when Chuck retired)

7 p.m.: Gus Rosendale to get more aquanted with viewers

Weekends

Morning: Pat and Rob

Evening: David and Contessa

Contessa was brought in as freelance and became named a full time anchor with the adding of a biography page in February.

She is co-anchor on Weekend Today in NY and has been anchoring Thurs-Fri at Noon with Tom. While Erika is on Weekend evenings and M-W at noon.

My question is why? WNBC are hiring anchors but they don't have a stable team in place. My suggestion is straighten up your line up and then hire where you see fit.

My suggested line up

Morning: Darlene and Michael

Noon and 5 p.m.: Tom and Erika

6 p.m. and 11 p.m.: Shiba and Chuck (replace with Gus Rosendale when Chuck retired)

7 p.m.: Gus Rosendale to get more aquanted with viewers

Weekends

Morning: Pat and Rob

Evening: David and Contessa

First, I think when Chuck retires, neither David Ushery nor Gus Rosendale will replace him. I feel if either were candidates they would be anchoring the 5pm right now. Also, I would venture to guess they have bigger plans for Rob Schmitt than weekend mornings (he was doing weekend evenings in the #2 market). For starters, they could have easily filled the noon spot with Michael Gargiulo. My guess is Tom or Rob will take over for Chuck when he retires.

Line-up:

5pm and 11pm: Tom and Shiba

Noon and 6pm: Rob and Erika

Mornings: Michael and Darlene

Weekend Evenings: David and Contessa

Weekend Mornings: Gus and Pat

I could see Tom and Rob being switched, as well as Erika and Contessa being switched. I could also see the noon being done by the am team, and the #1 team doing 6/11 and #2 team doing 5/7.

My guess is they are paving the way for Tom to replace Chuck on the 11:00p newscasts once he retires. As it stands Tom is already the primary fill-in when Chuck is off. I can see the lineup being something like this in a couple years :

4:30a - 7:00a Erika & Michael

12:00 - 12:30p, 6:00 - 6:30p Darlene & Rob

5:00p - 6:00p, 11:00p - 11:30p Tom & Shiba

7:00p - 8:00p Gus

Weekend Today in NY Pat & Brynn

Weekend Evenings Contessa & David

I don't know why they don't just do Darlene and Michael at noon like WABC and WCBS.

Morning and Noon - Darlene & Michael

5 & 11 - Shiba & Tom

6 & 7 - Rob & Erika

Weekend Mornings - Pat & Gus

Weekend Evenings - David and Contessa

Maybe instead of doing the news at 7, do it at 9 like WLNY and have the 6pm news team do the 9 just like WCBS/WLNY.

I don't know why they don't just do Darlene and Michael at noon like WABC and WCBS.

Morning and Noon - Darlene & Michael

5 & 11 - Shiba & Tom

6 & 7 - Rob & Erika

Weekend Mornings - Pat & Gus

Weekend Evenings - David and Contessa

Maybe instead of doing the news at 7, do it at 9 like WLNY and have the 6pm news team do the 9 just like WCBS/WLNY.

Do it at 9 and forget about NBC primetime?

Do it at 9 and forget about NBC primetime?

The 7pm is on 4.2 Cozi TV, so if it were on at 9pm, it wouldn't affect the primetime programming. But I think it's better to do at a time where there is no other news competition.

I feel that there is more to this hiring than just having him anchor at noon. It's hard to belive that they hired someone all the way from the west coast just to anchor a 30 minute newscast at noon. They could of gotten Gus Rosendale or David Ushery to anchor that newscast. This leads me to belive that WNBC has something planned, whether it's a 4pm newscast like TVNewsLover said or phasing out Tom Llamas (Tom seems like he is working his way up to NBC News) WNBC is preparing for some kind of change. With the Jeff Prosbt Show canceled has anyone heard of a replacement cause if not im gonna say it could be likely they are going for the 4pm newscast in the fall...wnbc experimented with the 4pm last summer during the end of the olympics.

I feel that there is more to this hiring than just having him anchor at noon. It's hard to belive that they hired someone all the way from the west coast just to anchor a 30 minute newscast at noon. They could of gotten Gus Rosendale or David Ushery to anchor that newscast. This leads me to belive that WNBC has something planned, whether it's a 4pm newscast like TVNewsLover said or phasing out Tom Llamas (Tom seems like he is working his way up to NBC News) WNBC is preparing for some kind of change. With the Jeff Prosbt Show canceled has anyone heard of a replacement cause if not im gonna say it could be likely they are going for the 4pm newscast in the fall...wnbc experimented with the 4pm last summer during the end of the olympics.

In addition to anchoring the noon show, he's also gonna be a general assignment reporter for the 5 & 6pm shows. Lot's of stations do this. Have someone anchor a newscasts, then go out in the field to report. One of the noon anchors at the NBC station in Seattle, reports for the morning newscast, then anchors the noon show. Same with some of the people who anchor the 7 on WNBC, prior to and after the 7 they are usually out on the field reporting come back to the studio, anchor the 7 show, then go back and report from the field. It isn't uncommon in the news industry for people to have a dual role especially if they aren't that senior at the station.

In addition to anchoring the noon show, he's also gonna be a general assignment reporter for the 5 & 6pm shows. Lot's of stations do this. Have someone anchor a newscasts, then go out in the field to report. One of the noon anchors at the NBC station in Seattle, reports for the morning newscast, then anchors the noon show. Same with some of the people who anchor the 7 on WNBC, prior to and after the 7 they are usually out on the field reporting come back to the studio, anchor the 7 show, then go back and report from the field. It isn't uncommon in the news industry for people to have a dual role especially if they aren't that senior at the station.

Right, I see what your saying I just found it odd they would go out and hire another anchor when they have David, Erika, Gus and some others that would easily do it...as TVNewsLover said aside from the Today in NY team WNBC dosent seem to have stable anchor teams in place and they are hiring more anchors.

Right, I see what your saying I just found it odd they would go out and hire another anchor when they have David, Erika, Gus and some others that would easily do it...as TVNewsLover said aside from the Today in NY team WNBC dosent seem to have stable anchor teams in place and they are hiring more anchors.

They haven't had a stable anchor team for the afternoon newscasts ever since Sue left, and Shiba became 11:00p co-anchor. Rather then having a Erika doing the noon shows 3 days a week and weekends, and Contessa doing the noon show 2 days a week and weekends, why don't they permanently put Erika on the noon show, and have her report for the 5 & 6 pm newscasts. They can put Contessa in her 6 & 11 pm spot on the weekends, and then put someone else in Contessa's place on weekend mornings. Same with the 7 pm newscast, have someone permanent anchoring like Gus or something

Just wondering, has anything been announced to fill the now vacant 2p.m. slot this fall on WNBC?

Isn't it starting to get a little late to not be advertising for the show filling the spot or advertising for a 4p.m. newscast if they move Steve and Ellen up?

Just wondering, has anything been announced to fill the now vacant 2p.m. slot this fall on WNBC?

Isn't it starting to get a little late to not be advertising for the show filling the spot or advertising for a 4p.m. newscast if they move Steve and Ellen up?

They'll find something. Meredith Viera will take that slot in 2014 so I'm sure they can find something cheap on the syndie wire, but I guess it remains a small possibility a newscast could be added for a year.

They'll find something. Meredith Viera will take that slot in 2014 so I'm sure they can find something cheap on the syndie wire, but I guess it remains a small possibility a newscast could be added for a year.

Do they air Access Hollywood Live? If not, then that could be a fill-in until Meredith comes on next year.

I feel like they might either move Acess Hollywood Live to another channel like E! ...put Meredith at 11am (opposite the view after Barbara Retires) ...and Maybe move Steve Harvey to 2 ...Ellen to 3 and 4pm Newscast...It seems like a lot of NBC O&O's are adding 4pm newscasts, maybe that's why no new nbc daytime shows have been announced for the 2013-2014 season, they are encouraging the stations to add 4pm newscasts to remain competitive and/or act as a place holder until Meredith Premires in 2014.

Archived