ABC 7 Cancels 11am News for WCL

ChicagosNewsChannel

Robert Feder just posted that ABC 7 will be canceling their 11am newscast and will replace it with WCL when the station picks up "Live" this fall...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=583530221669427&id=175146445841142

Anyone else surprised they're getting rid of an on air midday newscast all together? They already do a midday web brief but it sounds like that will be expanded.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy. Shit.

I was sure as hell that 'WCL' would get the ax. I'm calling it right now, Linda Yu is gone by the end of the year.

Update: Pure speculation, but someone tweeted Feder about rumors that Sylvia Perez is leaving. Rob did not address that possibility.

Holy. Shit.

I was sure as hell that 'WCL' would get the ax. I'm calling it right now, Linda Yu is gone by the end of the year.

Update: Pure speculation, but someone tweeted Feder about rumors that Sylvia Perez is leaving. Rob did not address that possibility.

Very surprising. They should have cut the 11am to half an hour and aired a 30 minute WCL at 11:30am. But this screams like a cost cutting move to me.

Okay, this is blowing up fast online.

A few more things...

• All the weekday changes take effect on September 9th.
  • Alan Krashesky will anchor a live, online broadcast at noon everyday. It'll be available on demand all afternoon, and will likely be more than 15 minutes, compared to the 4-5 minutes the web brief is now.
  • Windy City Live will see a bit of a format change to accommodate the news' cancellation. Some news and weather will be incorporated, and I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Dolinsky pops up from time to time, as he currently has his food segments on Wednesday and Friday mornings.
  • Two days prior to this shake-up, the Saturday morning news will add another hour at nine, so both weekend morning shows will run from 6-7 and 8-10am. A permanent weather personality should be in place by then (sounds like Phil Schwarz will get the nod), but it's unclear is Stacey Baca will get a co-anchor, be it Ben Bradley or someone else.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/06/20/wls-channel-7-adds-digital-news-and.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+industry_18+%28Industry+Media+%26+Marketing%29

I hate to say this but I was expecting that they would go this route, seeing how WCL became a bigger brand. But I stated before that WCL would get the ax. But, they went with this route. But since that show has continued to get viewers and such, and Idler and company assumed they saw success in the show, I'm thinking they're banking on the shows future. If it was the other way around, WCL would've been canned and the 11am news would've been spared. I dunno if they're going to get any better numbers at a later hour. Even though it's probably the lowest-rated of all of its newscasts, this is a true blow nevertheless. I mean almost two decades of the midday news, starting with the 11:30am, then expanded to 11am, after the cancellation of GH's spinoff Port Charles.

Like I stated, I dunno what's going to pop after September 9, when the changes get implemented. But this is sad news indeed, as WLS will now come from "the only O&O to not air Live!", to "being the only O&O to not having a midday newscast". We'll see how long this live streaming midday show would last.

• Two days prior to this shake-up, the Saturday morning news will add another hour at nine, so both weekend morning shows will run from 6-7 and 8-10am. A permanent weather personality should be in place by then (sounds like Phil Schwarz will get the nod), but it's unclear is Stacey Baca will get a co-anchor, be it Ben Bradley or someone else.

They should hire a new weather personality to do the weekend morning shows ONLY and not having Phil doing all the weekend shows. And let alone, its almost two years since they'd expanded 25 minutes to the late evening news I know many personalities have done it (anchor/weather personnel) to minimize the personnel. But by having one person doing all the weekend shows (even though its probably common in the other markets), it doesn't look or sound right to me.

Okay, I think something's up. Linda and Sylvia did the new at 11 today, but Kathy Brock is on with Alan at 4.

I wonder how much warning the duo had about this?

Update: No talent open, either...but that's nothing really unusual.

Okay, I think something's up. Linda and Sylvia did the new at 11 today, but Kathy Brock is on with Alan at 4.

I wonder how much warning the duo had about this?

I know sometimes Linda won't sometimes not do the 4pm, even though she did do the 11am. Sylvia would typically fill-in for Linda at 4, but Kathy is today. I'm not too sure if this was planned.

Update: No talent open, either...but that's nothing really unusual.

That's not un-typical. When news reports be long as well on the first block, they go straight to next story on the second block and skip the talent open. This ain't nothing new.

Somehow, I expected that the 11 a.m. show would get canned. I heard that ''Windy City Live'' had been doing OK. They obviously couldn't move it to 10 a.m., because of ''The View''; and they couldn't push the midday news to noon because of ''The Chew''. Considering WGN will be the only one with an 11 a.m. newscast come September (although it would have made more sense for WGN to cut its midday show back to just noon to 1, or shift the entire two-hour show an hour later when they add the 9 a.m. hour of the ''WGN Morning News''), could some of WLS' 11 a.m. news audience move to 'GN?

Also, with WLS' Saturday morning news expanding to 10, doesn't this mean the Litton's Weekend Adventure block will now run an hour later than other Central/Mountain ABC stations? I know WABC in NYC airs it until 1 p.m.

Also, with WLS' Saturday morning news expanding to 10, doesn't this mean the Litton's Weekend Adventure block will now run an hour later than other Central/Mountain ABC stations? I know WABC in NYC airs it until 1 p.m.

No, because they're some stations that air the Litton block, one hour before many of the O&O stations (9am-12pm/ET) some even earlier at 8am/ET, if they air GMA Weekend at 7am/ET. Some affiliates even break it down to just air the first two hours on Saturday and air the last hour on Sunday. It's basically a syndicated block that doesn't have anything to do with the network. It's like the same thing with This Week. The live feed is at 9am/ET. But many stations air it at 10am/ET. For many recent years WLS have aired it at 9:30am, and then just some months back, it moved to 10am (two hours after the live feed).

KTRK in Houston airs the entire Litton block, two hours later than WLS (11am-2pm). But not after a 90 minute news block before GMA (5:30am-7am), a two hour news block after GMA (8am-10am), KTRK produced LWN show Deals at 10am and some Real Estate related show on at 10:30am.

Now, two things could happen here for WLS. They could air the block for two hours on Saturday (10am-12pm) and keep the infomercial hour block at 12pm, and then possibly air the last hour of the block at either 11am (replacing the LWN Show Block) or 12pm on Sunday (protecting some of the block), or they could can the infomercial block and air the last hour on Saturday 12pm, keeping the three-hour block intact. Of course at any point there's a pre-emption, it would be aired on Sunday anyway.

Considering WGN will be the only one with an 11 a.m. newscast come September (although it would have made more sense for WGN to cut its midday show back to just noon to 1, or shift the entire two-hour show an hour later when they add the 9 a.m. hour of the ''WGN Morning News''), could some of WLS' 11 a.m. news audience move to 'GN?

Don't forget CBS 2 News at 11am on WBBM.

Don't forget CBS 2 News at 11am on WBBM.

Right, forgot about that. The midday newscast and ''Y&R'' air in reverse on WBBM and a few other CBS O&Os compared to how other stations, like KWTV for example, air them.

Kind of interesting that WMAQ and WFLD are the only Chicago stations with newscasts at noon, while the other three English-language news stations air theirs at 11. In other markets, its the opposite or like it is here in OKC, the exception (KFOR and KWTV air news at noon, KOCO and KOKH don't have midday news).

Still, with one less competitor at 11 a.m., some news viewers that are used to watching WLS will either migrate to WGN, WBBM or move elsewhere.

Online-only newscast? Yeah, that'll last and get viewers.

I agree. My guess is that at some point, they will find a way to bring back a midday newscast. I can't see them, as the local news leader, not having one.

Still, with one less competitor at 11 a.m., some news viewers that are used to watching WLS will either migrate to WGN, WBBM or move elsewhere.

Probably a good reason to watch WGN because their news is two hours. I expect WGN to be doing some crazy promotion come August leading up to their new 9am show on September 9 and promoting its two hour midday show.

I don't like the 11am hour of WGN's Midday News. There's like one block of news, and then the rest of the hour is lifestyle-type segments, and there's no weather until like 11:50-ish. I'd much rather watch the concise WBBM 11am newscast and get all of the importart news and weather right off the top without the fluff.

I like all of WGN's other newscasts, including the Noon hour of the Midday News, but I hate the 11am hour.

I don't see why they couldn't make WCL a half hour at 11 and put ABC 7 News at the 11:30 half hour.

On a side note, I would love for WLS to get Millionaire as well, and get rid of Inside Edition.

I just hope they change their minds before September 9th.

I don't see why they couldn't make WCL a half hour at 11 and put ABC 7 News at the 11:30 half hour.

On a side note, I would love for WLS to get Millionaire as well, and get rid of Inside Edition.

If they wanted to save money, put the morning team at 11, put a pair of anchors at 4 and 6, and a pair at 5 and 10. Have Jerry Taft do all weeknight weather, put Mike Caplan on weekend evenings and Phil weekend mornings. Have Stacy and Ben do both weekend mornings and keep the weekend evening team the same. I think that WLS is overstaffed and they can easily remove a few people and move a few around and save money.

1. If they got 'Millionaire', they'd find some way to screw with the rest of the schedule, so I'd rather WGN keep it.
  2. Pair off anchors and rearrange their time slots? Yes, and send the rest of the viewers away.
  3. The variety of anchors and pairings has been a hallmark of ABC7 since the mid-80's. If they don't have that, it makes them like everyone else. Remember, as recently as (about) a decade ago they had 14 different anchors. Four. Teen. The fact that they've cut that down to 12, soon to be 11, that's a big thing for them.
  4. They're not going to have Jerry do all weeknight shows and demote Mike and Phil back to the positions they held in the 90's. Jerry has been off the 4pm show since 2004, and the man is 70, he'll be retired soon enough.
  5. There's a good chance that Ben Bradley won't add Saturdays to his roster, either. He's far too valuable to be on only 3 days a week.

I'm not trying to be critical, but some things just won't happen. There's too much at stake as it is.

1. If they got 'Millionaire', they'd find some way to screw with the rest of the schedule, so I'd rather WGN keep it.
  2. Pair off anchors and rearrange their time slots? Yes, and send the rest of the viewers away.
  3. The variety of anchors and pairings has been a hallmark of ABC7 since the mid-80's. If they don't have that, it makes them like everyone else. Remember, as recently as (about) a decade ago they had 14 different anchors. Four. Teen. The fact that they've cut that down to 12, soon to be 11, that's a big thing for them.
  4. They're not going to have Jerry do all weeknight shows and demote Mike and Phil back to the positions they held in the 90's. Jerry has been off the 4pm show since 2004, and the man is 70, he'll be retired soon enough.
  5. There's a good chance that Ben Bradley won't add Saturdays to his roster, either. He's far too valuable to be on only 3 days a week.

I'm not trying to be critical, but some things just won't happen. There's too much at stake as it is.

Oh, I know it will never happen. Thats just what I would like them to do. But I still want them to change their minds on WLC and ABC 7 News at 11am.

Judy Hsu is in for Sylvia this morning, but there was no reference to her...not even a talent open. And that IS rare for the 11 o'clock show.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Judy Hsu is in for Sylvia this morning, but there was no reference to her...not even a talent open. And that IS rare for the 11 o'clock show.

I have a bad feeling about this.

I seriously wanted to wait until someone else came on here and say they saw the same thing. They didn't play the talent open at all.

And oh yeah, Yesterday. I remember Linda doing the short 4pm teases (that be on between 12:30-3:15), but Kathy ended up filing in on the 4pm show (filling in for Linda) & 5pm (because Cheryl was on vacation, Sylvia would typically fill-in on that timeslot).

I'm glad at least Linda is back though.

They could've cut the 11am news to a half hour and then have WCL at 11:30 for a half hour.

They could've cut the 11am news to a half hour, placed Jeopardy at 11:30, dropped Inside Edition, and aired WCL at 2 for a full hour (or earlier if they preferred to air ABC programming out of place).

It's also weird that Alan will take on this new webcast at noon. I wonder who'll be doing the news cut-ins during WCL. Judy?

If Linda and Sylvia are canned, I think Alan will be paired with Cheryl and Kathy exclusively with Ron.

I think eventually Millionaire will be picked up and Inside Edition will be dropped.

They could've cut the 11am news to a half hour and then have WCL at 11:30 for a half hour.

They could've cut the 11am news to a half hour, placed Jeopardy at 11:30, dropped Inside Edition, and aired WCL at 2 for a full hour (or earlier if they preferred to air ABC programming out of place).

It's also weird that Alan will take on this new webcast at noon. I wonder who'll be doing the news cut-ins during WCL. Judy?

If Linda and Sylvia are canned, I think Alan will be paired with Cheryl and Kathy exclusively with Ron.

I think eventually Millionaire will be picked up and Inside Edition will be dropped.

Alan has been their go-to guy for tech stuff and their online presence. He's also done the 'Midday Web Brief'/'Lunch Break' for several years now, and the new webcast is what's replacing the updates.

If they wanted to save money, put the morning team at 11, put a pair of anchors at 4 and 6, and a pair at 5 and 10. Have Jerry Taft do all weeknight weather, put Mike Caplan on weekend evenings and Phil weekend mornings. Have Stacy and Ben do both weekend mornings and keep the weekend evening team the same. I think that WLS is overstaffed and they can easily remove a few people and move a few around and save money.

Sounds like the typical manager who would come in a screw up what's not broken.

I seriously wanted to wait until someone else came on here and say they saw the same thing. They didn't play the talent open at all.

And oh yeah, Yesterday. I remember Linda doing the short 4pm teases (that be on between 12:30-3:15), but Kathy ended up filing in on the 4pm show (filling in for Linda) & 5pm (because Cheryl was on vacation, Sylvia would typically fill-in on that timeslot).

I'm glad at least Linda is back though.

I'm betting everyone was working business as usual and then the news about the new line-up was announced, and the day, especially for Linda and Sylvia, was halted.

You imagine how if you are sitting at your desk, reading the station-wide email, which says your "duties" (anchoring the 11am newscast), are going to be eliminated, would disrupt what you are doing, and you then start question the future of you "job" as you then go into the "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON" talk with your boss, about your job. It's likely that such a discussion wasn't done by the 4pm news rolled around and that's why Linda and Sylvia were absent at Fooouurrr (as Lina says).

If nothing else with the news Linda and Sylvia got it would be hard to keep working the rest of the day. They may have taken or given the afternoon off as it is alot to deal with all at once.

Boss: "Hey you're role here at work is about to change"

You: "Do I still have a job?"

Boss: "Uhh yea, I think, I don't know"

*Now just try and carry on with your day as now you don't know if you will so have a job. It could all work out, but for that person involved its nerve racking.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but these changes scream cost cutting moves. If you really think about it, WLS has too many anchors on weekdays. Even KABC in recent years has adjusted/eliminated some of their anchors schedules. While these moves may not be popular, there is no doubt that there is some pressure from above to cut costs. If either Linda and or Sylvia leave ABC 7, it's almost certain that they'll get picked up by another station in town.

Archived