Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

I haven't seen the Tucson numbers recently, but KMSB's numbers may be low enough that Univision or Telemundo may be close to taking the #4 spot in that market. If that's the case, then Raycom can legally buy the station outright.

It won't matter because it still have to have eight equal voice. KMSB & KTTU were the first duopoly in Tucson (formed in 2002). Journal's KGUN was the second, because of that failed station waiver, to get KWBA. Since Belo is being sold by Gannett, they have now lost its grandfathered duopoly status. Because at the end, they still have to have eight equal owners in the market. (4, 6*, 9, 11, 13, 18, 27*, 40, 46, 58) That's why you see KMSB going to Sander and KTTU going to Tucker. So if even if KMSB is out of the top-4, and Raycom wants a chance to acquire KMSB outright, they would have to acquire it via 'failed station' waiver. And I don't think KMSB would even be qualified as a 'failed station'.

*The one in the asterisk are the non-commercial stations. 27 is the satellite of 6.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think SSAs and JSAs are good for local news. Yes, I will get booed at for saying that. But you don't see two stations sending two separate crews reporting on the same exact thing. It frees up the newsrooms to do more local stories than the competition who don't have that advantage. It's all up to local management on how they choose to execute it though. KWGN/KDVR probably aren't doing a good job executing that.

I will agree with you to an extent here. Some of them have been executed well. Fox/NBCU's "Local News Service" project has evolved into something that is beneficial to all parties and really doesn't compromise the quality of of the news product(s). The pooling your footage and sharing helicopters like this one example of how JSA's,etc. can be good for all. Sharing administrative and operational funtions is another way and doesn't directly effect the news product. Although another industry, The Detroit Newspaper Partnership is another good example of a well executed JSA. All the operations, distribution, etc. is handled jointly. The actual news and editorial staffs operate separately. The Denver Newspaper Agency operated the same way until the Rocky Mountain News' closing. My hope (and going on what is being stated should be the case) is that KMOV & KSDK are operated in this manner. Combine everything behind the scenes but, keep totally seperate newscasts and teams.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-09/a-buyout-that-makes-you-wonder-who-wins.html

According to a Bloomberg report, could there be second thoughts on the offer?

Most likely, Gannett will just throw some more cash to the Belo shareholders and the deal wil move forward.

And one SSA I could see being continued is the KTVK-KPHO-KPNX chopper share (known to the company as "Chopper 20", as 20 = 3 + 5 + 12), established in the aftermath of the 2007 fatal crash of two news choppers over a Phoenix park. KPHO, KSAZ and KNXV additionally have another, more comprehensive LNS agreement; the latter two stations also have a chopper share. (There thus are two choppers for five stations in Phoenix; Washington, according to TVNewsCheck last year, has one chopper for all four stations.)

Yay! WCNC may go HD!

Nooooo!!! Gannett Graphics!!!! NBC Come in and Sweep up WCNC before Gannett gets to it!

Where did you hear about HD? Was that just you speculating because of Gannett? They do need it.

Personally, I want to see the Belo stations keep their current news themes and graphics, but I sure as hell don't want to see them drop their themes and graphics for Gannett news theme

and graphics. If they do, I'll no longer watch WFAA; I'll just make the switch KTVT.

Personally, I want to see the Belo stations keep their current news themes and graphics, but I sure as hell don't want to see them drop their themes and graphics for Gannett news theme

and graphics. If they do, I'll no longer watch WFAA; I'll just make the switch KTVT.

That is probably the way they are heading, although if they end up with KMOV/KSDK and KPNX/KTVK they are going to have to find some way to differentiate those from one another, so maybe they can have a second group standard graphics and music package that has the Spirit of Texas logo in it that stations can use. I actually hope WCNC gets the Gannett standard graphics and music (and goes HD too, of course) Their current graphics are just meh and it's still weird to me that they use Right Here Right Now only a few years after WBTV dropped it. But It would be a huge disaster if WFAA didn't have the Spirit of Texas logo in their theme.

Really? You're saying you choose which station you watch solely based on their theme and graphics?

At least that's not that ridiculous. A friend of mine only watches KSAT because "their background is the most up-to-date" (for the record, KSAT uses a virtual set).

WFAA is far and away the best newscast in DFW IMO. KDFW is sensationalist junk, KXAS has declined under NBC, KTVT is alright, my second choice.

I would personally love for KENS to get these graphics, music, and a new logo (the current one is bad). A new set would also be nice; they've had the same Express Group set for close to ten years. I hope Belo gets them one before they cash out. One like WWL would be nice but KENS 5 doesn't have much space to work with (the one studio they have is massive but it's divided between news and "Great Day SA" who has a larger set). The Gannett FX design KTHV and WGRZ have would be just fine though. I'd also love for KENS to get their own version of "This is Home" campaign. :drool: I'd love for Gannett to hurry up and close in on this because Belo hasn't done the best job with KENS. Hopefully Bob McGann (a large Belo shareholder and KENS 5's GM since 1998) will call it career too when Gannett assumes ownership. That place is in need of new leadership and their hiring of Triston Sanders as ND is a step in the right direction (Kurt Davis is THE WORST ND of all time; glad he's out of SA).

I'll miss Belo as a whole. Solid broadcasters with a decidedly Texas focus. They did a bad job with KENS and KMOV but absolutely excelled with the rest of their stations. RIP Belo. :(

Several KGW staffers posted on Twitter a week or 2 ago that they were receiving training on how to use new graphics. They haven't debuted yet on the station though.

Really? You're saying you choose which station you watch solely based on their theme and graphics?

At least that's not that ridiculous. A friend of mine only watches KSAT because "their background is the most up-to-date" (for the record, KSAT uses a virtual set).

WFAA is far and away the best newscast in DFW IMO. KDFW is sensationalist junk, KXAS has declined under NBC, KTVT is alright, my second choice.

I would personally love for KENS to get these graphics, music, and a new logo (the current one is bad). A new set would also be nice; they've had the same Express Group set for close to ten years. I hope Belo gets them one before they cash out. One like WWL would be nice but KENS 5 doesn't have much space to work with (the one studio they have is massive but it's divided between news and "Great Day SA" who has a larger set). The Gannett FX design KTHV and WGRZ have would be just fine though. I'd also love for KENS to get their own version of "This is Home" campaign. :drool: I'd love for Gannett to hurry up and close in on this because Belo hasn't done the best job with KENS. Hopefully Bob McGann (a large Belo shareholder and KENS 5's GM since 1998) will call it career too when Gannett assumes ownership. That place is in need of new leadership and their hiring of Triston Sanders as ND is a step in the right direction (Kurt Davis is THE WORST ND of all time; glad he's out of SA).

I'll miss Belo as a whole. Solid broadcasters with a decidedly Texas focus. They did a bad job with KENS and KMOV but absolutely excelled with the rest of their stations. RIP Belo. :(

Eh, I wouldn't be too hard on Belo. KMOV's problems stem more from internal management moreso than anything Belo Corporate did with them (ie: a high turnover rate under their current news director).

Unless you want to blame KMOV's poor internal management on Belo, then that's a valid criticism.

That said, I don't expect much dramatic change to happen at KMOV under Sander.

I'm with sanewsguy. Don't judge a station based on the graphics (and set). That said, I hope Gannett tones down the blue on the WCNC set. I love blue, but that set is overkill.

It would be nice to see Gannett not treat WCNC like the red-headed stepchild like Belo did with them.

That said, they have a steep hill to climb in order to be competitive in that market again. They have to fight heritage WBTV and their strong CBS lead-ins as well as heritage WSOC which I think is tops in the market (I don't like in Charlotte so correct me if I'm wrong).

Eh, I wouldn't be too hard on Belo. KMOV's problems stem more from internal management moreso than anything Belo Corporate did with them (ie: a high turnover rate under their current news director).

Unless you want to blame KMOV's poor internal management on Belo, then that's a valid criticism.

That said, I don't expect much dramatic change to happen at KMOV under Sander.

This would be the same problem with KENS. If they had better management, I wouldn't be criticizing them so much. I never really criticized Belo as a whole. Most of the stations are great. KENS and KMOV just suffer from bad GMs and NDs (KENS old ND mainly).

I must say, the latest arrangement of WFAA's theme is REALLY nice.

Under Belo KTVK's problems have been sorta all over the place. One of them to me is the format of their evening newscasts. There just doesn't seem to be much going on. It feels barren (the same feeling I get sometimes from 15).

It would be nice to see Gannett not treat WCNC like the red-headed stepchild like Belo did with them.

That said, they have a steep hill to climb in order to be competitive in that market again. They have to fight heritage WBTV and their strong CBS lead-ins as well as heritage WSOC which I think is tops in the market (I don't like in Charlotte so correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes WSOC is top rated in most periods except noon. Think them and WBTV may go back and forth at 11 pm. WCCB did very well in the mornings and at 10 as a Fox station, they were higher rated at 10 than WCNC was at 11. I believe WCCB and WSOC on sister WAXN have gone back and forth at 10. And in January new Fox O&O WJZY enters the race at 10 pm on their own and they'll be adding mornings at some point maybe next fall and eventually maybe evening and noon news too. Gannett will definitely have their work cut out for them. WCNC is lucky to have the NBC News Channel based there plus 8 more years on its affiliation contract or we MIGHT, I mean MIGHT have seen WCCB (who had HD even before WBTV) get NBC and WCNC get stuck with CW. There has been turmoil at WCCB in recent years though even before losing Fox. A former news director was caught shoplifting and former weatherman Mark Mathis has stirred up controversy. It would have had to been the perfect storm for WCCB to have ended up with NBC. NBC seems happy with WCNC. Many have predicted a major plunge in WCCB's ratings now that they are stuck with CW. We shall see. I can't help but doubt if Charlotte is big enough for news departments at five different stations.

Watch it now: Color cubes and This Is (Bad) Home in the Spirit markets.

Belo, Texas loved your stations, and you loved Texas. Emphasis on the past tense.

You should replace "Texas" with "Dallas and Houston". San Antonio and Austin never got the Spirit campaign (well, KENS used 615's late 90's version of the song for a brief time but never the slogan).

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the color cubes and This is Home on KENS 5. KENS has had a rather stale image the past few years and this would help out. I know KENS 5's Creative Services department would have fun with TiH.

Belo doesn't even give a crap about San Antonio and Austin. The only reason they even own these two is because they badly wanted to get into those two markets for their failed TXCN experiment. KENS would have been far better off staying with Scripps. The only reason Scripps even sold off KENS was because of Belo's strong interest. It also doesn't hurt Belo owned the Food Network. Scripps got the better end of the deal while we're stuck with the bitter end.

KVUE also gets reunited with Gannett so that isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

I actually think it's time for a fresh image for WFAA and KHOU. The Spirit image turns thirty this year. In fact an image doesn't really exist anymore. It's just a slogan at this point. I think it's time that viewers embrace the change and the "This is Home" campaign. If WFAA must absolutely continue with their musical signature, then they can have Gari recompose the TiH music package with the Spirit signature. "The Spirit of Texas" can easily substitute the "This is Home" lyrics in the campaign but more than likely that will not be the case. Do note that WMAZ and WBIR continue with their longrunning "Straight from the Heart" alongside "This is Home". What's to say that won't end up being the case for WFAA and KHOU as well?

Does WFAA and/or KHOU actually even run an image using Spirit of Texas anymore? I know neither say those words in their opens anymore.

The only thing that I can say about the Texas stations using the TIH image (and you could maybe say this about other current Gannett markets) is that hip hop doesn't exactly scream Texas to me. When I think of Texas, I think more country music. Maybe they could come out with a country version of the TIH image.

Does WFAA and/or KHOU actually even run an image using Spirit of Texas anymore? I know neither say those words in their opens anymore.

The only thing that I can say about the Texas stations using the TIH image (and you could maybe say this about other current Gannett markets) is that hip hop doesn't exactly scream Texas to me. When I think of Texas, I think more country music. Maybe they could come out with a country version of the TIH image.

VERY VERY bad and common stereotype of Texas. Especially San Antonio, where Latino music is more common. Country would be appropriate for the more conservative, rural markets in Texas, but not the cities, which are just like every other major city in the country. Also, the closer you are to the Mexican border, the more the popularity of country declines. The hip or hop or softer versions would fit fine. Or Gannett could give in and have Gari do a custom Spirit campaign for Texas...

VERY VERY bad and common stereotype of Texas. Especially San Antonio, where Latino music is more common. Country would be appropriate for the more conservative, rural markets in Texas, but not the cities, which are just like every other major city in the country. Also, the closer you are to the Mexican border, the more the popularity of country declines. The hip or hop or softer versions would fit fine. Or Gannett could give in and have Gari do a custom Spirit campaign for Texas...

Wouldn't it make more sense to create an image campaign targeting a particular demographic? You want to obtain/reinforce a certain type of viewer.

Most of today's image campaign songs take a standard approach... something along the lines of light pop like you'd hear on adult contemporary radio. The female demo is often dominant among local TV so that's probably why. It's likely the common denominator among WFAA, KHOU, KENS, and KVUE.

Archived