Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

NewsWatch is pretty well known. It's been around since 1988, and I imagine Cox doesn't want to get rid of it.

It can't be that costly to run either, since it's basically just reairing WWL newscasts. Cox probably makes a decent amount of revenue with the local ads it airs on it.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TVNewsCheck posted this speculation article about the possibilities post-merger, primarily St. Louis.

A couple of tidbit, the article states that Gannett has stated that it will end its production of KDNL's news shows at the end of the year. And it also mentions about the KTVI/KPLR's similar LMA and the sale of KTVI's parent company.

What's going to really happen with the Local Marking Agreement between the two stations is that they are going to be maybe dissolved or not.

Now, my really big, bigger, biggest question is: when is KDNL going to produce newscasts of its own without the use of KSDK's waterdown version that is going to end? and second of all, why is KDNL not up for sale??? because sinclair wants to hold on to it and wants to hoard it really badly, and I mean really bad.

Now, my really big, bigger, biggest question is: when is KDNL going to produce newscasts of its own without the use of KSDK's waterdown version that is going to end? and second of all, why is KDNL not up for sale??? because sinclair wants to hold on to it and wants to hoard it really badly, and I mean really bad.

Sinclair also owns NBC affiliate WTWC in Tallahassee, which like its sister station KDNL also doesn't do news. WTWC have tried 2 attempts to air newscasts before, the last attempt was from 1997 to 2000. It failed due to low ratings and budget cuts. I really don't know when is Sinclair is ever going to sell KDNL and WTWC, but that's anyone's guess.

I doubt Sinclair would sell KDNL unless they got a very compelling offer. St. Louis is one of their largest markets, and despite how pathetic the station is, it's probably little more than a money machine to them.

WTWC, they may be more open to selling.

Sinclair also owns NBC affiliate WTWC in Tallahassee, which like its sister station KDNL also doesn't do news. WTWC have tried 2 attempts to air newscasts before, the last attempt was from 1997 to 2000. It failed due to low ratings and budget cuts. I really don't know when is Sinclair is ever going to sell KDNL and WTWC, but that's anyone's guess.

I'm not sure about WTWC but I think KDNL still makes quite a bit of money for Sinclair mainly because of its low-cost strategy. I don't think they'd be that willing to give up KDNL unless it lost the ABC affiliation. And even then, I'm not sure.

Sinclair is too sorry to sell WTWC and KDNL, so picture this and I know some of you may not like the opinion. IF KDNL goes back to FOX, than ABC can be affiliated by either KPLR 11 or KTVI 2. NBC needs to leave WTWC, and find a new station to affiliate with NBC, WMBF launched theirs almost 5 years ago.

Sinclair is too sorry to sell WTWC and KDNL, so picture this and I know some of you may not like the opinion. IF KDNL goes back to FOX, than ABC can be affiliated by either KPLR 11 or KTVI 2. NBC needs to leave WTWC, and find a new station to affiliate with NBC, WMBF launched theirs almost 5 years ago.

Unless Sinclair buys KTVI (God forbid), I don't see the Fox affiliation in St. Louis going anywhere.

But even then I don't think Sinclair would flip the affiliations mainly because people are accustomed to Fox 2 and ABC 30 (it's been like this for nearly 13 years now)

Unless Sinclair buys KTVI (God forbid), I don't see the Fox affiliation in St. Louis going anywhere.

But even then I don't think Sinclair would flip the affiliations mainly because people are accustomed to Fox 2 and ABC 30 (it's been like this for nearly 13 years now)

It was 2 with ABC for 40 years and the switch happened so anything is possible.

I would like to see KTVI reaffiliate with ABC and KPLR affiliate with FOX. KDNL can have the CW affiliation.

I know media companies aren't in a buying mood but, What if Tribune buys KDNL and affiliate with CW, LIN Media purchase KTVI and affiliate with ABC, News Corp buys KPLR and affiliate with FOX, would anyone see that happening?

KTVI's affiliation deal with Fox (and with all the former O&Os in the LocalTV profile) lasts until late 2017/early 2018. They will not change affiliations in any way, shape or form. End of story.

And as I posited in the LocalTV thread, there could be an informal gentleman's agreement between Fox and Sinclair in the wake of the WUTB deal (where Sinclair agreed not to bid for any of the former Fox O&Os, in exchange for WUTB and a virtual triopoly in their home market).

TVNewsCheck posted this speculation article about the possibilities post-merger, primarily St. Louis.

A couple of tidbit, the article states that Gannett has stated that it will end its production of KDNL's news shows at the end of the year. And it also mentions about the KTVI/KPLR's similar LMA and the sale of KTVI's parent company.

The Gannett/Belo merger is a bit disconcerting. As I stated over in the Sinclair thread they are trying to convince everyone that Sander/Tucker will be operating the stations separetely. By all accounts Sander/Tucker's roles are basically going to be like a trustee, for lack of a better term. I least that's what they are trying to convince us. So, I'm cautiously optimistic this is the case. We really have nothing to base it on as far as Gannett and LMA's.

What's going to really happen with the Local Marking Agreement between the two stations is that they are going to be maybe dissolved or not.

I presonally don't see it being desolved for a number of reasons. We have been having the LMA discussion over in the Local TV. So, you can check out my (and everyone else's) thoughts on it over there.

My thoughts on the future of newscats on KDNL is over in the Sinclair thread.

KTVI's affiliation deal with Fox (and with all the former O&Os in the LocalTV profile) lasts until late 2017/early 2018. They will not change affiliations in any way, shape or form. End of story.

And as I posited in the LocalTV thread, there could be an informal gentleman's agreement between Fox and Sinclair in the wake of the WUTB deal (where Sinclair agreed not to bid for any of the former Fox O&Os, in exchange for WUTB and a virtual triopoly in their home market).

Thank you for putting the affliation swap to bed. Unfortunately, as much as some would like to see it happen. It's just not going to happen.

I respectfully disagree with your WUTB theory. Or, at least portions of it.

Note: I'm not trying to mod or police the boards. I just don't feel like typing out the same things. So, I posted links to my posts in other threads. Hopefully, that's ok. :cool:

I saw that last night.

The fact that Gannett's getting in on this covert consolidation (as that article and Free Press call it; the author of the article is not a regular Times writer and is from that organization) has irked me from the moment I heard it. I'd thought they'd had some integrity left.

As for the effects of that in Denver, I noticed a few nights ago that KWGN's 7PM news and KDVR's late news ran several of the same stories. I don't watch them that often (especially not on the same night), but I did find it troubling.

The Seattle Times have made an opinionated piece, opposing the Gannett/Belo deal. Yes, for obvious reasons. I didn't see them complaining about the force of Maryland taking their local Kingdom away.

It's not from the Seattle Times, it's an opinion piece that the President of Free Press (see link below) wrote up for the Seattle Times. Guest contributor maybe?

http://www.freepress.net/

I saw that last night.

The fact that Gannett's getting in on this covert consolidation (as that article and Free Press call it; the author of the article is not a regular Times writer and is from that organization) has irked me from the moment I heard it. I'd thought they'd had some integrity left.

As for the effects of that in Denver, I noticed a few nights ago that KWGN's 7PM news and KDVR's late news ran several of the same stories. I don't watch them that often (especially not on the same night), but I did find it troubling.

I have a feeling that Gannett is going to be very cautious at how well they operate KMOV and KSDK close to one another. The fact that there are basically these are the top 2 stations in St. Louis and now under the same ownership is going to draw red flags if they copy one another.

Who knows if the FCC is even going to approve the sales in St. Louis and Phoenix. This is the first instance I can think of where a large market would have two big three affiliates controlled by the same company. Most of the LMAs/SSAs have been in mid sized or smaller markets. Having one company control 66% of the tv news media in a major market like St. Louis might not sit well with them. This could be the scare that makes them realize that LMAs/SSAs are bad for local tv.

I saw that last night.

It's been like that for a while. A more startling comparison, though, is if you compare KDVR's 5pm with KWGN's 7pm. They're very similar newscasts, only most of the reporters must be out to dinner by 7pm, resulting in far fewer live reports and more taped packages and filler.

I think SSAs and JSAs are good for local news. Yes, I will get booed at for saying that. But you don't see two stations sending two separate crews reporting on the same exact thing. It frees up the newsrooms to do more local stories than the competition who don't have that advantage. It's all up to local management on how they choose to execute it though. KWGN/KDVR probably aren't doing a good job executing that.

Here my opinion as well on how these stations should be divided up. I know Jack Sander was a long time executive,but not really into him being a Trustee, and that what it's, and with the laws having so many loopholes. Here my break down of it all

Hearst buys KMOV & KGW

Cox buys KTVK

Scripps buys WHAS

Raycom buys Tuscon FOX affiliate so both stations 11/13 with be owned operated by Raycom

Lin TV buys Allbritton except WJLA goes to ABC/Disney WBMA ABC33/40 go to Scripps, KPLR is bought by Lin and becomes ABC 11 and KDNL becomes CW

Sinclair/Fisher deals get killed and Post-Newsweek buys KOMO & KATU

Here my opinion as well on how these stations should be divided up. I know Jack Sander was a long time executive,but not really into him being a Trustee, and that what it's, and with the laws having so many loopholes. Here my break down of it all

Hearst buys KMOV & KGW

Cox buys KTVK

Scripps buys WHAS

Raycom buys Tuscon FOX affiliate so both stations 11/13 with be owned operated by Raycom

Lin TV buys Allbritton except WJLA goes to ABC/Disney WBMA ABC33/40 go to Scripps, KPLR is bought by Lin and becomes ABC 11 and KDNL becomes CW

Sinclair/Fisher deals get killed and Post-Newsweek buys KOMO & KATU

None of this is going to happen. Hate to tell you that. The FCC will probably approve the sale but place major sanctions on the operation of KTVK and especially KMOV. As long as Gannett has "legally" found a way to acquire the stations (like they did here) they will get them. It may seem what Gannett is doing is wrong but it isn't illegal. That's the takeaway point from this.

Raycom cannot own a duopoly in Tucson without a failing station waiver. It would need American Spirit to complete that purchase.

I haven't seen the Tucson numbers recently, but KMSB's numbers may be low enough that Univision or Telemundo may be close to taking the #4 spot in that market. If that's the case, then Raycom can legally buy the station outright.

Archived