Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

OK, I'm now going to put it to a vote. How many of you in favor of the Belo/Gannett merger? Yes or No.

I like both media groups so I'm ok with the merger in that respect.

But since I am in St. Louis where Gannett now owns the top 2 stations in the market in terms of ratings, it will be real interesting to see how KMOV is run. Gannett keeps claiming that the stations will still be independent of one another but it will be interesting to see how stations like KMOV, KGW, KTVK, and WHAS will be run by a newly formed station group that only owns 4 stations.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like both media groups so I'm ok with the merger in that respect.

But since I am in St. Louis where Gannett now owns the top 2 stations in the market in terms of ratings, it will be real interesting to see how KMOV is run. Gannett keeps claiming that the stations will still be independent of one another but it will be interesting to see how stations like KMOV, KGW, KTVK, and WHAS will be run by a newly formed station group that only owns 4 stations.

I think its going to be 7, if you add KASW, KMSB & KTTU. It will no doubt be no more than a shell to Gannett, just like Cunningham/Deerfield, Mission, Shield, Vaughan etc. It would be interested to see what name of John L. (Jack) Sander's new venture is going to be.

I also wouldn't be shocked if each of those stations would have "option agreement" which would guarantee Gannett to acquire or put it to a better way, a right-of-first-refusal for those stations outright, should the current FCC laws get relaxed, just like many of the other assignment of license/transfer of control applications have similar paperworks that include an option agreement. Look at WHAM's option agreement for example.

TVNewsCheck has made this article and the header speak for itself. The 'M&A Thunder' Just Keeps Rolling. The article basically states that they have updated its Top-30 chart and now they have Gannett at #3, bumping Sinclair from #3 to #4 (I still don't believe in these rankings but OK). They are also saying that these M&As will continue on.

The article states one former Gannett employee, who passed away two months ago.

Ink-stained Al Neuharth who built the company into a behemoth and who passed away in April would not have been pleased.

In other words, old man Al, who founded USA Today, and as I see it had a heart of the newspaper business, is rolling in his grave right now.

I think its going to be 7, if you add KASW, KMSB & KTTU. It will no doubt be no more than a shell to Gannett, just like Cunningham/Deerfield, Mission, Shield, Vaughan etc. It would be interested to see what name of John L. (Jack) Sander's new venture is going to be.

I also wouldn't be shocked if each of those stations would have "option agreement" which would guarantee Gannett to acquire or put it to a better way, a right-of-first-refusal for those stations outright, should the current FCC laws get relaxed, just like many of the other assignment of license/transfer of control applications have similar paperworks that include an option agreement. Look at WHAM's option agreement for example.

TVNewsCheck has made this article and the header speak for itself. The 'M&A Thunder' Just Keeps Rolling. The article basically states that they have updated its Top-30 chart and now they have Gannett at #3, bumping Sinclair from #3 to #4 (I still don't believe in these rankings but OK). They are also saying that these M&As will continue on.

The article states one former Gannett employee, who passed away two months ago.

In other words, old man Al, who founded USA Today, and as I see it had a heart of the newspaper business, is rolling in his grave right now.

I am going to assume that Jack Sander has the name: Sander Communications or Broadcasting in his head.

I honestly hope that Gannett keeps the elements that make our stations unique.

The dynamics of the entire group will change. I do hope that this acquisition paves the way for Gannett to individualize their stations and reverse, to a degree, the standardization, such that KARE and KUSA can use their custom packages again.

I would hope that the Belo gfx hub (of which we have, I'm not sure) can coordinate with G3 and either handle our 20 station orders and G3 in Denver would handle the traditional Gannett stations or split orders by region. However if centralization is necessary, I would prefer that current designers and implementors are offered a transfer to the Denver market and just not let go.

Also, don't be surprised if we see a complete overhaul of the Gannett web design. Will they hire out Inergize or BIM to takeover? I don't think so.

I am just wondering if Gannett will finally invest in new studio facilities for WWL? They have been on Rampart Street in the French Quarter for a very long time.

And when it comes to WWL, I think Gannett management realizes that they are purchasing one of the most well-respected television stations in the country and will not do anything to upset that.

Just learning about this now, and to say that I'm going to need some time to adjust assuming the FCC gives the OK (which in all likelihood, they will) -- this is going to be very weird seeing the departure of Belo.

KUSA bringing back its old music, were they given the choice, doesn't seem entirely out of the question. Bits and pieces of it lingered well into the first-generation-standardization era.

I honestly hope that Gannett keeps the elements that make our stations unique.

The dynamics of the entire group will change. I do hope that this acquisition paves the way for Gannett to individualize their stations and reverse, to a degree, the standardization, such that KARE and KUSA can use their custom packages again.

I would hope that the Belo gfx hub (of which we have, I'm not sure) can coordinate with G3 and either handle our 20 station orders and G3 in Denver would handle the traditional Gannett stations or split orders by region. However if centralization is necessary, I would prefer that current designers and implementors are offered a transfer to the Denver market and just not let go.

Also, don't be surprised if we see a complete overhaul of the Gannett web design. Will they hire out Inergize or BIM to takeover? I don't think so.

I hope so. One of the best things Gannett can do is offer all of its stations more choice. For example, take the current graphics package. It's a fine package (and miles ahead of 2008,) but I still feel that stations should be able to tweak it and customize it somewhat for each of their station's own needs. Also, I wholeheartedly agree on music; TiH is great, but KARE and KUSA had great custom music packages, why rob them of the freedom to use their own music? Why rob any station in the group of that choice?

Of course, standardization is standardization (goal: save $$$$$,) but it is possible to have standardization without the meat grinder. Belo was working on a great example before this news came out; although WFAA, WWL, KVUE and KHOU all have the same GFX, they still use the same slogans and non-standardized music. Gannett should take a note from those actions; when the deal closes and the merger occurs, Gannett should allow its stations to have more of the freedom they had prior to 2008. Am I advocating complete decentralization? No, but a centralization setup in which stations have some level of latitude is the best option possible.

KUSA bringing back its old music, were they given the choice, doesn't seem entirely out of the question. Bits and pieces of it lingered well into the first-generation-standardization era.

I still hear it now! "Closed captioning is brought to you by Carpet Mill Outlet stores. Your Floor Store."

I am just wondering if Gannett will finally invest in new studio facilities for WWL? They have been on Rampart Street in the French Quarter for a very long time.

And when it comes to WWL, I think Gannett management realizes that they are purchasing one of the most well-respected television stations in the country and will not do anything to upset that.

To be fair, there were plans in the works to build a new facility for WWL. However those got shelved when Hurricane Katrina came.

According to this article on NOLA.com about the Gannett purchase, looks like Belo was already putting some money into Rampart, outside of the new set:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2013/06/wwl-tv_executives_news_analyst.html

WWL-TV began using a new studio last fall, (GM Tod) Smith said, and the station is in the process of remodeling its North Rampart Street facilities, including its control room and lobby, which are expected to be completed next year. Smith said the work will give the station "a very nice presence on a street that's going to be one of the premier locations" in the city.

Funny, I was thinking the other day that Gannett might buy PNS, despite a couple of sticky wickets in Detroit (WDIV/Free Press) and Jacksonville; but that's really all moot now with this deal. Scripps/PNS makes sense, it would give Scripps a station in each of the biggest markets in Florida; which would mean boo-koo bucks for the Lighthouse during election time.

Since we're talking hypotheticals, I got two companies that seem like a really good fit: Gray and Raycom (or Graycom, if you will). Two mid-sized groups with a large focus in the southeast, and little to no overlap. The only overlap I see (correct me if I'm wrong) would be in Knoxville, but WTNZ could easily be spun off to American Spirit.

I would be happy if Gray Television merged with Raycom Media to form Graycom, however WTNZ would be spun off to another ownership that can do better than American Spirit. I would be happy to see LIN grab this one.

That would be interesting to find out what would happen if another merger takes place. I thought of one:

Gray to Nexstar?

NO to Gray to Nexstar, unless there is an reason for it!

B&C is posting an explanation about Jack Sander's new broadcast venture.

We still don't have the name of the new venture yet. But It stated that Sander is going to have one of the licenses in Tucson, but they didn't which station he will own or which other group will have the other. Could American Spirit get KMSB and Sander getting KTTU. I would see that scenario stick. Wouldn't you?

B&C is posting an explanation about Jack Sander's new broadcast venture.

We still don't have the name of the new venture yet. ButIt stated that Sander is going to have one of the licenses in Tucson, but they didn't which station he will own or which other group will have the other. Could American Spirit get KMSB and Sander getting KTTU. I would see that scenario stick. Wouldn't you?

Isn't Tucson a market in which one of the Spanish-language stations is top-four rated? If so, it may be possible for Raycom to buy KMSB outright, just like LIN was able to do in Albuquerque with (former KMSB sister station) KASA.

Isn't Tucson a market in which one of the Spanish-language stations is top-four rated? If so, it may be possible for Raycom to buy KMSB outright, just like LIN was able to do in Albuquerque with (former KMSB sister station) KASA.

I'm not too sure which of the Southern AZ stations are on top-4 in that order. I'm not sure if KUVE or KHRR is within the top 4.

I'm not too sure which of the Southern AZ stations are on top-4 in that order. I'm not sure if KUVE or KHRR is within the top 4.

The last I recall hearing KOLD was tops, KVOA and KGUN were close behind, battling it out for second, and KMSB was a distant fourth (or fifth, if one of the Spanish stations is strong down there).

Okay. It appears a former station group exec will run KTTU.

B&C states that former president and CEO of soon-to-be outgoing group Fisher Communications Ben Tucker, will hold the license of KTTU.

Former Belo group runner Jack Sander will hold the license of KMSB. Gannett will operate both stations under 'shared services' arrangements. Gannett can't own KMSB-KTTU proper because they have a ownership of online publication, the Tucson Citizen. And to assume to keep the 'eight equal voices' rule. The other duopoly KWBA was acquired by Journal's KGUN via a 'failed station' waiver.

So will this mean an early end to the Raycom SSA with KOLD? Right now all meaningful KMSB-KTTU operations are based out of KOLD, including sales, engineering and programming.

There won't be any Gannett proper stations in Tucson, yet they will provide certain services for the two stations for a fee. I still think Raycom will continue to do the heavy lifting, since KMSB-KTTU are facilitated at the KOLD facilities. So I assume the SSA between the three in Southern Arizona will stay a status quo.

Well, hold on to your horses; Belo is being sued by Investor over $1.5 Billion Gannett Takeover.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-18/belo-sued-by-investor-over-1-5-billion-gannett-takeover.html?cmpid=msnmoney

This is from an investor that's has the pension fund for the employess that are under this union, IBEW?

They'll probably feed the pension fund some money and let this deal go through. I don't think its all that serious. Some folks are just money hungry. They figure if they see two big companies, they should shell out more dough.

Archived