WBZ/WSBK 1994 Theme - CREATOR FOUND!

Guest NewsHound

Guest NewsHound

As listed on Southernmedia-NMSA, both WBZ and WSBK have a theme in common called the WBZ/WSBK 1994 News Theme, and until now it was known as by Unknown.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1060

Obviously this jazzy catchy upbeat theme wasn't the direction WBZ wanted to go in for the long term, because two years later it was replaced by Newsworks by Music Oasis.

This theme was created by none other than Jerome Gilmer and Newsmusic Central.

How do I know this? Watch the following video and go to 2:17 and listen to that bump for Dow Jones.

Now listen to Image VIII from Newsmusic Central on NMSA. Both feature a similar musical feature that sounds like notes being played on a wooden zylophone, which is a musical feature seen in many Newsmusic Central themes at some point or another.

Maybe this is far fetched, but is it possible Newsmusic Central did some custom work for WBZ?

Now we just need to figure out the name of it...

I would disagree.

While this does sound a bit Gilmer-ish (use of bells, anyone?), it's unlike everything else he produced in the mid-90s. If I were to compare this to Image IX and X and Prime News (released in 1993, 1995 and 1993 respectively), this wouldn't hold.

And that wooden xylophone sound is very different in Image VIII than it is in the WBZ package. You tell Gilmer packages by their instrumentation. No.

• 3 weeks later...

Did they? The only WBZ thing listed for Bruce Upchurch on ASCAP is "WBZ TV NEWS (PROMOS ONLY)(8/96 - 7/31/98)" I assume those are from Newsworks? Not everything he did is in ASCAP (We Work Well Together isn't listed), so perhaps it was them too.

ASCAP also lists a WBZ package by Robert Burke and Wayne Leone. Not sure if it's WBZ 1990, WBZ 1994 or WBZ/WSBK 1994.

On his website, Mason Daring lists among his work "WBZ TV News Package (1995)". I would assume that's his 1992 package and he just misremembered the year, but WBZ started using WBZ/WSBK 1994 in 1995.

So who knows? The title of this topic should be changed, because the creator is most certainly not found yet...

Archived