Media General, Young to merge

NewsMaster

That's still baseless and myopic speculation. Young has been trying to get rid of KRON by putting it up for sale for several years. What happened? Nobody was interested, because it's a shell of TV station with crappy facilities and is the lowest-rated newscast in the entire market. Now that they've finally sold it to Media General along with the entire group, the last thing Media General will do is turn around and sell it to someone else. And it's crazy to assume that Fox wouldn't be happy with KTVU, which is #1 in almost all timeslots. Sure, crazier things have happened, but it doesn't make logical or financial sense to presume that any broadcast group other than the one that just bought KRON would see any incentive or value in significantly investing in an otherwise lost station.

Again, I agree that FOX may be happy with KTVU. But keep in mind.....they have screwed over many affiliates to get what they want. They do not care about affiliate relationships, station histories, station ownership histories, or "heritage" statuses.

Why would Media General not dump KRON? It would be the combined group's only West Coast outlet, and their only "Top 10" outlet. Not to mention the only station that is (possibly) losing money. I will say what I said before: Let it become some other group's problem.

I strongly believe it is going down. Whether or not anyone approves does not matter.

COX/KTVU executives better start planning for a future without FOX.

Mark my words....2014, KRON-TV, Channel 4 becomes the FOX Broadcasting Company owned and operated station for the San Francisco Bay Area. You heard from it me first, so don't be surprised if it actually happens.

Absolutely right, and keep in mind that FOX fist approached KSWB/Tribune to have it become a FOX affiliate but they rejected the offer. FOX then went to KUSI and when Sam Zell found out that Tribune execs had rejected FOX's offer he called up the FOX execs and negotiated the affiliation agreement. Needless to say that things got nowhere with KUSI and now FOX is on KSWB. But back to the topic, FOX has been itching to get into NFL markets where NFC teams are located and in the Bay Area you have the 49ers and Raiders. Just like they did in Charlotte, FOX would like to do in the Bay Area.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fox would more likely buy KNTV and make KFXI - Those are brand new facilities in San Jose and the Silicon Valley is Republican territory. KRON is in Liberal SF and NBC who has always wanted that channel 4 could work a deal with their buddies at MG.

The likely scenario if it pans out is My Network would go to the Perfect 36 (KICU) Cable 6 and or a combo with KTVU if Fox stays with Cox.

FOX owns in several liberal cities....NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia. That argument does not hold water.

Mark my words....2014, KRON-TV, Channel 4 becomes the FOX Broadcasting Company owned and operated station for the San Francisco Bay Area. You heard from it me first, so don't be surprised if it actually happens.

I can't really respond to that because that's speculation. So mark my words...KTVU will remain a Fox affiliate and will be the #1 station in the market for some time.

This should be fun to see what happens!

Why would Fox want to invest in a earthquake damaged fire trap on Van Ness????

I am more than confident that FOX has the money not only to buy the station, but to make wholesale improvements (new building, better programming, technical upgrades, etc).

There was news that Comcast was planning a new state of the art facility in Downtown SF which could potentially house Channel 4. At one point in time Young had looked at a share tenant arrangement with KNTV but that never materialized...

Media General would probably want to keep KRON, which would be their only top-ten market station, and it doesn't make sense for NBC to want it. They've only owned KNTV for eleven years and dumping it for old times' sake simply doesn't make sense when KRON has fallen as far as it has. NBC has spent most of the last decade in pretty bad shape and I'm sure they don't want an affiliate downgrade in a top-ten market. (Admittedly, I don't think a Fox 4/My20 duopoly would happen anyway)

If MG decides to keep KRON I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they tack on the METV on 4.3. KOFY is running it now but I'm sure MG could work a deal. The other big thing KRON has going for it is Dr. Phil. PIX would like it back but I'm guessing MG will also work their magic to suggest some other day time show.

There was news that Comcast was planning a new state of the art facility in Downtown SF which could potentially house Channel 4. At one point in time Young had looked at a share tenant arrangement with KNTV but that never materialized...

I do not know too much about that. In any case, doesn't Comcast own a regional sports network in the Bay Area? That could explain the new facility.

Media General would probably want to keep KRON, which would be their only top-ten market station, and it doesn't make sense for NBC to want it. They've only owned KNTV for eleven years and dumping it for old times' sake simply doesn't make sense when KRON has fallen as far as it has. NBC has spent most of the last decade in pretty bad shape and I'm sure they don't want an affiliate downgrade in a top-ten market. (Admittedly, I don't think a Fox 4/My20 duopoly would happen anyway)

As part of the new company, Media General will have a JSA with FOX affiliate WXXA in Albany. If they decide they want to hold on to KRON, perhaps they can make a play for the FOX affiliation in the Bay Area when the time comes.

If MG decides to keep KRON I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they tack on the METV on 4.3. KOFY is running it now but I'm sure MG could work a deal. The other big thing KRON has going for it is Dr. Phil. PIX would like it back but I'm guessing MG will also work their magic to suggest some other day time show.

KRON desperately needs programming in general. I am sure that programming mostly infomercials on weekends isn't cutting it.

The more I think about it....perhaps KRON is at a point where Media General could make something out of them without destroying themselves financially. They already have a pretty news-intensive schedule as it is. We could see a localized "Daytime" show along with a "Scene on 4"-esque show (like WSPA's Scene on 7) airing in access or early prime.

As for the glut of infomercials, it's nothing new to Media General. They do the same thing on some of their stations in off periods.

WKRG in Mobile is a prime example of running a station on the cheap. Aside from news and CBS programming, they air an hour of infomercials at 9am, an hour of Family Feud at 3, an hour of Big Bang Theory at 4, Andy Griffith at 6:30, and more informercials after Craig Ferguson and before Up to the Minute. WEAR, WALA and WPMI/WJTC all have the other syndicated shows and WKRG has often taken the leftovers. Since Andy Griffith is so old, all of the airtime can be sold locally in the breaks...whereas most other syndicated programming is bartered, meaning they have spots sold by the production company or syndicator to recoup their costs and reserve only some of the airtime for local stations to sell.

Young has already done the damage...it's up to someone to make it work. In this case, Media General COULD succeed.

I can't really respond to that because that's speculation. So mark my words...KTVU will remain a Fox affiliate and will be the #1 station in the market for some time.

This should be fun to see what happens!

Yeah, I can't understand why people think Fox would buy KRON and take the affiliation away from a top-rated station in the market.

NBC did this with KNTV and instead of being with the #1 station in the market (at the time), it's now on a station that is an afterthought to most Bay Area viewers.

If there is one thing Fox Television isn't, it's stupid. I can't see them making the same mistake NBC did with KRON/KNTV.

Fox would more likely buy KNTV and make KFXI - Those are brand new facilities in San Jose and the Silicon Valley is Republican territory. KRON is in Liberal SF and NBC who has always wanted that channel 4 could work a deal with their buddies at MG.

The likely scenario if it pans out is My Network would go to the Perfect 36 (KICU) Cable 6 and or a combo with KTVU if Fox stays with Cox.

FOX owns in several liberal cities....NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia. That argument does not hold water.

And Fox's actual primetime lineup (the Simpsons, all the Seth MacFarlane cartoons, New Girl, all the Gordon Ramsey shows, etc.) could hardly be described as conservative. And as FNC/FBN has little to no presence on the actual Fox network (I don't even count the O&O standardizations... many O&Os still have little involvement with FNC/FBN), I think most viewers - even those in SF - can easily tell the difference.

The best word to describe all of the Fox networks - including FNC/FBN - is "nontraditional."

Now, if SINCLAIR actually owned a station in SF, there would be some obvious issues, doncathink? ;)

Does anyone know when the Fox affiliation agreement with KTVU Oakland/Cox Communications in Atlanta is up for renewal?

June 2015

What's to say that a subsequent affiliation agreement between KTVU and Fox includes a provision when Fox has the right of first refusal if Cox ever puts KTVU/KOFY on the block?

Not unheard of.

What's to say that a subsequent affiliation agreement between KTVU and Fox includes a provision when Fox has the right of first refusal if Cox ever puts KTVU/KOFY on the block?

Not unheard of.

AGREED on this statement on all the above!

Not unheard of.

I think you meant KICU 36, not KOFY 20. But the suits in Atlanta are no dumbos. 50 years of owning Channel 2, there not going to budge. Speaking of KOFY's parent, I would see Granite go under before anything else.

I think you meant KICU 36, not KOFY 20. But the suits in Atlanta are no dumbos. 50 years of owning Channel 2, there not going to budge. Speaking of KOFY's parent, I would see Granite go under before anything else.

I wonder why you would like to see Granite Broadcasting go under? I would think that Granite Broadcasting would file another Chapter 11 or worse Chapter 7 Bankruptcy there for a few moments! I think it has to do with management of the station group.

Let's look at the situation a bit differently.

KRON, if managed right, could be rehabilitated into a news-heavy independent. It may or may not be in MG's plans. What works in MG's favor is, well, they didn't pay $800M for it (and Berkshire Hathaway can help alleviate much of the obvious debt that MG inherited from Young).

MG could very well decide to retain KRON, or put it on the market yet again. All efforts by Young to sell it (if any existed) obviously failed due to the fact they were simply asking for too much in an attempt to recoup a portion of their losses. So MG could make a credible effort to unload it.

But whomever buys KRON will need to do three things: rebuild the station's image through a drastic overhaul of their news output, invest in the station's facilities, and invest in some more non-news programming. MG could do it - they have experience from when they blew up WBMG - but do they WANT to do it? I honestly don't know.

Let's get real. NBC will NOT buy KRON in any way, shape or form. And Fox will probably not buy KRON, either (presuming that in my prior post, their affiliation deal with KTVU includes a right of first refusal to buy the station if Cox ever puts it up for sale). That narrows down the list drastically.

Believe it or not, I had a "eureka" moment earlier this afternoon. There could be a dark horse to buy KRON.

Ed Ansin.

I'm not kidding. This actually would be a perfect station for him to buy: it's a news-heavy independent based in a flashy, diverse market. Sounds like shades of WSVN, no? And KRON needs a new image and identity after Young basically destroyed it over twelve years. Install the uber-tabloid "7NEWS" formula onto KRON, and that would literally turn the entire market upside down. But I betcha people would watch it.

And put a grey ring around the KRON circle 4, and it becomes a perfect complement to the WSVN/WHDH circle 7.

It's a figurative statement. Implausible, but possible. Of course no one expected Allbrittron to unload all their TV stations (mostly because of the patriarch's death and Politico's meteoric rise) and they were never wanting to sell WJLA to ABC. But Cox will exist broadcasting when hell freezes over.

Did Granite ever emerge from Chapter 11?

I wonder why you would like to see Granite Broadcasting go under? I would think that Granite Broadcasting would file another Chapter 11 or worse Chapter 7 Bankruptcy there for a few moments! I think it has to do with management of the station group.

The way that their WKBW managed to plummet like a sinking stone over the past decade is truly depressing.

It's a figurative statement. Implausible, but possible. Of course no one expected Allbrittron to unload all their TV stations (mostly because of the patriarch's death and Politico's meteoric rise) and they were never wanting to sell WJLA to ABC. But Cox will exist broadcasting when hell freezes over.

Did Granite ever emerge from Chapter 11?

The way that their WKBW managed to plummet like a sinking stone over the past decade is truly depressing.

On one hand, agreed on Granite Broadcasting going under and because their WKBW managed to fall apart over the past few decades is starting to bring more and more darker days ahead.

Now I just realize that Granite Broadcasting owns KBJR and KRII and KDLH in Duluth, MI and also KDLH is under an Local Marketing Agreement with Granite.

Granite is owned by a private equity firm, and there has been a mass exodus from broadcasting by the PE firms, so it would not be surprising to see KOFY being sold off (though I don't think it's much more than duopoly or spectrum speculator bait), and probably not surprising for Granite to not exist at all within a few years. Granite and Young have both emerged from bankruptcy and shed their debts.

As for Allbritton, I honestly saw a sale of their broadcast stations coming after Joe died. It's just not the big-money business it used to be, Politico's profile is way higher, and corporations like to focus on what they see as strong suits/better businesses.

I'd said it as a prediction/hypothesis. I never said I wished for any company to go under. If they know they're doing a 'shady' business (i.e. Equity Broadcasting), they will hang themselves. But just the same situation with ComCorp getting out of the business, it wouldn't be a shocking thing, and it might be a more wise thing for Granite to sell its remaining stations and get out of the biz.

Hell, Media General could acquire the Granite stations, since none of them overlap with the current MG/Young stations (except for KOFY and that would be a legal duopoly). And they could use Galloway's Shield for the Fort Wayne (WISE or WPTA) & Duluth (KBJR or KDLH) properties. I know I stated Gray on a previous post, but if not Gray, the new MG should acquire Smith's WKTV Utica. And if that's the case, MG would be the third station group after Nexstar & Sinclair to gobble up the Upstate.

But then again, it could also be "OPEN SEASON" for Sinclair (while using those shells). It's just something we don't want to see anymore.

I wonder what Julian would think about this if he would've lived to see his son David do all of this? SMMFH!

Of course no one expected Allbrittron to unload all their TV stations (mostly because of the patriarch's death and Politico's meteoric rise) and they were never wanting to sell WJLA to ABC. But Cox will exist broadcasting when hell freezes over.

As for Allbritton, I honestly saw a sale of their broadcast stations coming after Joe died. It's just not the big-money business it used to be, Politico's profile is way higher, and corporations like to focus on what they see as strong suits/better businesses.

When Robert did that statement announcing the potential sale, I had that feeling it was like he knew what he was going to do. He probably knew years before his father's declining health. And I don't think he would've done it if old papa Joe was still around. He waited for that opportune time to make that statement. He wasn't going to wait to long after his father's death to tell what he wanted to do with the company.

I was stunned like the rest of you when Robert announced that he would sell the house that Joe built. It proves that anything can happen at a snap of a finger. But he has saw the future aspects of the Television business that some have gone big because of not only consolidation, but at this rate, how big the group's portfolio is (case in point, Sinclair & Nexstar). We will see if Robert's testament bodes well after he completes its sale of its TV arm and his expansion around his crown jewel, POLITICO. Good Luck to him.

Believe it or not, I had a "eureka" moment earlier this afternoon. There could be a dark horse to buy KRON.

Ed Ansin.

I'm not kidding. This actually would be a perfect station for him to buy: it's a news-heavy independent based in a flashy, diverse market. Sounds like shades of WSVN, no? And KRON needs a new image and identity after Young basically destroyed it over twelve years. Install the uber-tabloid "7NEWS" formula onto KRON, and that would literally turn the entire market upside down. But I betcha people would watch it.

And put a grey ring around the KRON circle 4, and it becomes a perfect complement to the WSVN/WHDH circle 7.

:rofl!: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! OMMFG!!!!! LMMFAO!!!!!

You must be intoxicated or something.

Edmund Ansin???!!!!! His old ass???!!!! REALLY???!!!!!!

He's got to be right around Tom Benson's age, I think. Looks like he ain't got no time left.

I would never want to see that kind of style of news happening in the Bay Area, the way he has done in Miami & New England. And who's going to take those stations when he finally croaks? His next-of-kin would probably sell his kingdom too.

Pigs have to fly out of my you-know-where if I ever see Ed Ansin acquire KRON 4. If he even have any time left.

From what I know of San Francisco, that uber-tabloid style would be a good fit for it. At the very least, it'd be better than Boston, where the style seems to stick out in the wrong way. And even then, I'm guessing WSVN makes WHDH look tame.

Archived