Unprofessionalism Defined.

nynewslover

I heard about this SHOCKING SCANDAL the other day and watched the clip. All I saw were two people who both had a dry, sarcastic sense of humor. I do this kind of stuff all the time with co-workers and other people I know.

Much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

Also, $5 says they did this off-air all the time before some producer told them to do it on-air just because it would cause what's going on right now. Viral marketing!!11!!!1one!!

Now I have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor too that sometimes people will misunderstand and register as me being rude, but I'm not reading Nichole as really being sarcastic...I see it as her actually being somewhat insulting while trying to hide it in some odd veil of "humor."

I've watched quite a bit of 1970s-era Roger Grimsby newscasts. It's hard to pull a specific example, but one interview done after his WABC career recalls his most embarrassing slip-=up on air: "I mispronounced count." That, I think, sums up the Grimsby sense of humor almost exactly.

There's a difference between genuine banter and happy talk. The vacous scripted banter between Ken and Barbie co-anchors and the weatherman asking the latter to "get some warmer temperatures in"? That's happy talk. The 20 or most seconds Jim Gardner spends with Cecily Tynan asking for an overview on today's weather? Genuinely warm banter. Rick and Monica's cracks, such as Rick urging viewers to tune to 6.3 for Monica's ultrasound during a snowstorm or his thoughtful pairing anniversary present to Monica - a picture of Rick Williams autographed by Rick Williams, also qualify.

The exchanges between Nicole Brewer and Carol Erickson aren't genuine attempts at warm banter or wry sarcasm. They're happy talk. Or more accurately, happy talk that fails to disguise Brewer's complete contempt for Carol Erickson.

For those who don't know Nicole Brewer was brought in around 2008/09 or so to be the "features reporter" for the expanded cross-station morning news. She was a former beauty pageant winner. Eventually, this has morphed into morning reporter and, for some reason it appears, morning anchor. Erickson has been with the station for years and years and years and has worked almost every position you can imagine - news anchor. weather. reporter. In fact, I am watching CBS 3 right now and she is on the street as part of their coverage of the building collapse. That's versatility. (Once, she was doing weather while morning anchor Amy Caples fell ill on-air. Between breaks, she took over the chair. No problems.)

It's not just the words - it's the tone of voice, it's the expressions on her face, it's the insider vocabulary. It's hostile. Some of it also, frankly, makes little sense. I have no clue where that monkey business segue that she got so upset about was supposed to lead. Neither did Carol. Some of her behavior seems to have been weird lately - she showed up on air with no makeup one recent morning.

What I'm afraid of is that someone DID mistake this for chemistry, when it's the exact opposite.

There's a very big problem at CBS 3 right now, and that is the level of their talent. Right now, Chris May is anchoring with the great Pat Chiarocchi, and Walt Hunter is leading coverage. Beyond that, there's some gaping holes and puzzling moves. I severely dislike two-fifths of their weather department (the ones that do weekend nights and weekday mornings). I think the female morning anchor is rough and obnoxious. Brewer, well, we saw that example.

More troubling, I fear, is the weeknight situation. They're currently pairing Chris with reporter Diana Rocco. I will not mince words: Diana Rocco fails at basic anchoring skills. She is downright awful. I am hoping that she is not being seriously considered, because if she is named to this spot I'm done with the station...

I've watched quite a bit of 1970s-era Roger Grimsby newscasts. It's hard to pull a specific example, but one interview done after his WABC career recalls his most embarrassing slip-=up on air: "I mispronounced count." That, I think, sums up the Grimsby sense of humor almost exactly.

There's a difference between genuine banter and happy talk. The vacous scripted banter between Ken and Barbie co-anchors and the weatherman asking the latter to "get some warmer temperatures in"? That's happy talk. The 20 or most seconds Jim Gardner spends with Cecily Tynan asking for an overview on today's weather? Genuinely warm banter. Rick and Monica's cracks, such as Rick urging viewers to tune to 6.3 for Monica's ultrasound during a snowstorm or his thoughtful pairing anniversary present to Monica - a picture of Rick Williams autographed by Rick Williams, also qualify.

The exchanges between Nicole Brewer and Carol Erickson aren't genuine attempts at warm banter or wry sarcasm. They're happy talk. Or more accurately, happy talk that fails to disguise Brewer's complete contempt for Carol Erickson.

For those who don't know Nicole Brewer was brought in around 2008/09 or so to be the "features reporter" for the expanded cross-station morning news. She was a former beauty pageant winner. Eventually, this has morphed into morning reporter and, for some reason it appears, morning anchor. Erickson has been with the station for years and years and years and has worked almost every position you can imagine - news anchor. weather. reporter. In fact, I am watching CBS 3 right now and she is on the street as part of their coverage of the building collapse. That's versatility. (Once, she was doing weather while morning anchor Amy Caples fell ill on-air. Between breaks, she took over the chair. No problems.)

It's not just the words - it's the tone of voice, it's the expressions on her face, it's the insider vocabulary. It's hostile. Some of it also, frankly, makes little sense. I have no clue where that monkey business segue that she got so upset about was supposed to lead. Neither did Carol. Some of her behavior seems to have been weird lately - she showed up on air with no makeup one recent morning.

What I'm afraid of is that someone DID mistake this for chemistry, when it's the exact opposite.

There's a very big problem at CBS 3 right now, and that is the level of their talent. Right now, Chris May is anchoring with the great Pat Chiarocchi, and Walt Hunter is leading coverage. Beyond that, there's some gaping holes and puzzling moves. I severely dislike two-fifths of their weather department (the ones that do weekend nights and weekday mornings). I think the female morning anchor is rough and obnoxious. Brewer, well, we saw that example.

More troubling, I fear, is the weeknight situation. They're currently pairing Chris with reporter Diana Rocco. I will not mince words: Diana Rocco fails at basic anchoring skills. She is downright awful. I am hoping that she is not being seriously considered, because if she is named to this spot I'm done with the station...

Good points. The station already is getting bad PR on this story, so it's not surprising that they would try to spin it and make it seems like everything is perfect. The anchor chick comes across as stuck up and a b*tch and several times it looks like she's trying to on purposely put down Carol. What does Nicole have to worry about? I mean does she really think that Carol is competition? Instead of asking for advice and trying to learn from a veteran/pro, she decides to play these stupid name calling games.

Hulike- I agree with 99% of what you say on here, but I have to tell you that your opinions on Nicole Brewer and Carol Erickson are completely innacurate. I worked at the station for a good period of time and know both Carol and Nicole. They are great friends and Carol is by no means a victim to Nicole's "divaness" or her "contempt" for her. They sit near each other in the newsroom, talk and joke all the time. While I can understand that someone who does not know these two could see this is Nicole having an extreme dislike for Carol, if you knew them personally you would laugh at all of this media attention, comments and opinions that people have made because it is absolutely, insanely rediculous and does not deserve one more second of attention.

However, I could not agree with you more on the whole Diana Rocco setup. She is clearly there for one reason: to get more male viewers. I won't comment on her personally, but professionally while she may be good at writing and looks the part for the camera, her delivery is irritatingly God awful.

If the idea is to present their natural chemistry and some sort of rivalry in the newscasts - and it's a good idea given how blah 3 has become - they need to make it less biting. Play up the sarcasm and disagreements, but also make it clear there's an undercurrent of respect. Siskel and Ebert, Kornheiser and Wilbon, Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. I'd even put JenFred/Keeley on this list.

Right now, I'm not seeing the friendship. Carol has to get in some offense and Nicole needs to stop the McKayla Maroney faces.

How's this for unprofessionalism ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151702165770420&set=a.322350510419.196543.84676880419&type=1&theater

The winner of the ABC27 Lawnmower contest will get their lawn mowed by their one and only Al Gnoza. I don't know what amazes me more ... That Al keeps his job day after day or that people actually like him and sticks up for him.

-- Matt

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151702165770420&set=a.322350510419.196543.84676880419&type=1&theater

The winner of the ABC27 Lawnmower contest will get their lawn mowed by their one and only Al Gnoza. I don't know what amazes me more ... That Al keeps his job day after day or that people actually like him and sticks up for him.

-- Matt

i dont get it

-- Matt

i dont get it

Doesn't really belong in the thread. Quite frankly both examples don't even have anything to do with each other in terms of unprofessional-ism. It's more unprofessional/unacceptable to be making negative comments/digs at co-workers on air than a reporter who mows people's lawns.

I've worked with both of these ladies countless times. There's nothing to this, and I've never witnessed any animosity between them. If anything, I'm surprised that some slightly inside jokes may be leaking onto air. However, these are weekend morning broadcasts - and those shows have always been looser.

barc461 summed it up quite well.

Exactly, Bars-n-tone. People, and not just people on here, people are making their judgements based off a two minute and change video that was made for the sole purpose of creating a buzz and well, it worked. Watch tomorrow morning and you'll see, it's all a shtick made for the sole purpose of laughs.

Well, you've convinced me enough to TiVo tomorrow morning's newscast. I'm hoping they didn't get scared and put a co-anchor on, because I like the idea. When Jim Gardner started showing more of James Goldman on air, an already amazing anchor became even better.

It's just not translating well over the air. For ball-busting and sarcasm to work well, you HAVE to go broader. I wasn't kidding when I mentioned Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan from the WWF - the two were extremely close friends off the air, and you could absolutely tell they had a blast working with each other, even though they were arch-enemies on-air. They can still toss veiled insults, but act a little lighter so that you can tell it's not serious.

I've worked with both of these ladies countless times. There's nothing to this, and I've never witnessed any animosity between them. If anything, I'm surprised that some slightly inside jokes may be leaking onto air. However, these are weekend morning broadcasts - and those shows have always been looser.

barc461 summed it up quite well.

Exactly, Bars-n-tone. People, and not just people on here, people are making their judgements based off a two minute and change video that was made for the sole purpose of creating a buzz and well, it worked. Watch tomorrow morning and you'll see, it's all a shtick made for the sole purpose of laughs.

These guys know what they are talking about. Listen to them.

I'm watching the Tivoed newscast... and I have to agree with everyone in here. I'm not seeing any animosity or divaness now that I'm watching the full newscast. The two seem to make each other... looser than they normally are. Carol's definitely a lot jokier here.

That clip definitely is out of context.

Hulk i'm glad you changed your mind. I agree with the majority, this was nothing more then several 1 liners edited together out of context. A simular YT video probably could be made with Carol being the one looking like the *itch.

Looking at Nicoles facebook/twiter was enough for me. She has dozen of pics of her & Carol off air appearing as friends like this one below.

BCGHCM2CQAAz7RB.jpg

This whole thing reminds me of an old youtube clip of Jim Gardner sorta roasting Gary Papa when he annouced he was gonna be off air for a while because of cancer. Those 2 were good freinds off air, and it was clear he was speaking in jest, but everyone on youtube thought Jim was being a jerk, and must've really hated Papa, and thats all I think we got here. Those 2 fool around, and call eachother names, which in the context of the show probably comes off fine for someone who watches everyweek, but put together collection of 1 liners on YT, and it looks like a major feud.

Archived