Why is P2 video so grainy?

solidscooter

Has anyone ever noticed that ALL stations that use P2 cameras have grainy field video and sometimes live shots? Does anyone know the reason for this? I've connected all the dots and the grainy video always comes from stations that use P2, not XDCAM, DVCPROHD (those who still do) or JVC's cameras.

First off: "ALL" is a pretty bold statement.

Secondly, I use P2 on a daily basis. Never have a problem with "grainy" video unless the gain setting on my camera is way off for lighting conditions.

Third: You can shoot on P2 and still be shooting DVCProHD.

Since P2 uses DVCProHD compression, the HD quality is not as high as it would be normally. For 720p (1280x720), it is sampled at 960x720. For 1080i 59.94 (1920x1080) it is sampled at 1280x1080.

Thankfully for the last couple years Panasonic's P2 newer cameras have been capable of shooting full HD via AVC-Intra 100.

Depends on what models they're using. The HVX200, HPX170, and HPX500---probably the most popular P2 cams in use at local news ops---actually use standard-definition CCD chips [960x540], then up-res the image in-camera. The HD you'll get from those models won't be as sharp [especially in 1080], and it might be interpreted as "grain". The HPX370--another popular model with local news ops--uses full-res [1920x1080] chips, though they are smaller than usual [1/3"]. Smaller chips = more picture noise, especially with 2 million pixels packed into a 1/3" area.

/can you tell I'm a Panasonic nerd?

//uses an HMC150 at his day job

ETA: Just saw some grainy looking video on WLUK. Guess what they use? Hint: NOT P2!

Archived