May Sweeps 2013: The Numbers

24994J

San Diego:

Pretty messy and incomplete, but here are the numbers from UT San Diego.

5am: KUSI

6am: KSWB

Early Evening (5/6/6:30pm): KFMB, followed by KNSD

10pm: KUSI

11pm: KGTV

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/may/23/san-diego-ratings-winners/

It is interesting to note that this is the second time this year that KGTV (ABC) has won the 11pm news race over KFMB (CBS) during sweeps. Also, KSWB (FOX) was beat out at 10pm by KUSI (Ind), which could be as a result of FOX prime time programming. The only shocker this time around is the morning, which up until recently had been going to KNSD (NBC), but these last two sweeps they have not been able to claim outright victory which they had been doing for a while. For KFMB, it looks like their ratings are either going down, or facing stronger competition (or both) since they are not doing well in the morning and late night (even with CBS prime time programming). I don't know how much their new music and updated graphics hurt them in the mornings, but it was surely enough for viewers to complain on their facebook page ( there were a lot of negative comments on it). So, its almost a given that changes will be made to boost their low(er) ratings.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone have Boston? It's been a long time since I've seen any numbers for it.

I'm betting the race between WBZ and WCVB has tightened up since the bombing/manhunt coverage.

And we have yet to hear from Miami, though I'm guessing WPLG will have won followed by WSVN or WTVJ.

With the ratings slipping, WGNO ABC 26 needs to revamp its newscasts and its news department... FAST!

Again?

Doesn't seem like any amount of rebranding can change the fact that 4,6, and 8 are stronger performing stations because their owners invest a lot of money in them and don't treat it like the redheaded step child.

Tribune should just sell their New Orleans duopoly.

Again?

Doesn't seem like any amount of rebranding can change the fact that 4,6, and 8 are stronger performing stations because their owners invest a lot of money in them and don't treat it like the redheaded step child.

Tribune should just sell their New Orleans duopoly.

Yeah. If you take 26 out of the equation, NOLA getting closer to being a more competitive. 4 is still the King Kong, but 6 & 8 isn't far behind.

With the lucrative syndie shows 8 have (Judy, Katie, Jeopardy, Wheel) , I'm shocked they don't try to get ABC back.

"News With A Twist" is just a plain joke. A laughing stalk, A crying shame. That needs to go where it needs to go. Eight Feet Under. To tell you the truth, they were probably in better shape a few years ago, than when Zell took over. With several cutbacks on WGNO, that's been their real downfall. And it looks like they haven't done anything afterwards. Yeah they did have a image rebrand to their calls, but that falls short of fixing their content formula, which driving NOLA viewers flocking on 6, 8 and the old mighty big 4. Maybe after they finished tending with WPIX issues, maybe they need to get their attention to 26. Otherwise, if an unknown owner comes and snag 26/38, they'll probably do worst by letting the station run to the ground.

Yeah. If you take 26 out of the equation, NOLA getting closer to being a more competitive. 4 is still the King Kong, but 6 & 8 isn't far behind.

With the lucrative syndie shows 8 have (Judy, Katie, Jeopardy, Wheel) , I'm shocked they don't try to get ABC back.

"News With A Twist" is just a plain joke. A laughing stalk, A crying shame. That needs to go where it needs to go. Eight Feet Under. To tell you the truth, they were probably in better shape a few years ago, than when Zell took over. With several cutbacks on WGNO, that's been their real downfall. And it looks like they haven't done anything afterwards. Yeah they did have a image rebrand to their calls, but that falls short of fixing their content formula, which driving NOLA viewers flocking on 6, 8 and the old mighty big 4. Maybe after they finished tending with WPIX issues, maybe they need to get their attention to 26. Otherwise, if an unknown owner comes and snag 26/38, they'll probably do worst by letting the station run to the ground.

WVUE is owned by Tom Benson, the owner of the New Orleans Saints. Via Fox, WVUE airs most of the Saints' regular-season games. This alone is a reason for them not go after ABC, which has no football now and no apparent intention to get it back.

Isn't "News With A Twist" that interview show?

WVUE is owned by Tom Benson, the owner of the New Orleans Saints. Via Fox, WVUE airs most of the Saints' regular-season games. This alone is a reason for them not go after ABC, which has no football now and no apparent intention to get it back.

Isn't "News With A Twist" that interview show?

It's more of a discussion type programming. Here's what News With A Twist is. Anything without a traditional newscast on all the newscast times is very atrocious. They don't even have a Saturday Night news shows, as they show a recap (similar to the best of...). They can save all of that and hire some good folks, so they can re-instate their traditional news on at 5 & 6pm and Saturday Nights. This is highly unacceptable.

I'm betting the race between WBZ and WCVB has tightened up since the bombing/manhunt coverage.

And we have yet to hear from Miami, though I'm guessing WPLG will have won followed by WSVN or WTVJ.

I would doubt WPLG won at all. WSVN is the highest rated English station here, but remember that normally its Telemundo and Univision #1 and #2. That is why Miami is a prime market to see the same stuff that is happening at Jacksonville and Fresno

I would doubt WPLG won at all. WSVN is the highest rated English station here, but remember that normally its Telemundo and Univision #1 and #2. That is why Miami is a prime market to see the same stuff that is happening at Jacksonville and Fresno

So WPLG isn't the highest rates station in Miami? I don't know why I thought they were a huge powerhouse then.

Anyone have numbers from LA? I think KTLA might have overtaken KABC in the early mornings. KTLA has run promos on TV and ads in the LA Times that say they are the #1 station from 5-7am and 7-10am. The ads start out with "witness the change..." which might be a stab at KABCs Eyewitness News.

We still await the May sweeps numbers for New York, though there are probably not too many surprises there.

With regards to Tribune's struggling WGNO in New Orleans, judging by what I have seen and heard, nothing short of a complete rebirth of the station, along the lines of WPTY/WATN in Memphis, is going to make them relevant, much less competitive. Right now, they are neither. The clowns who came up with "News With A Twist" need to be sent packing, probably along with the general manager.

So WPLG isn't the highest rates station in Miami? I don't know why I thought they were a huge powerhouse then.

They are fighting with WTVJ on average forth place. Normally its Telemundo 51, WLTV, WSVN, WTVJ(WPLG), WPLG(WTVJ), WFOR, WSFL, WBFS and thats also not counting the other spanish stations here.

Is there a site that posts Chicago local newscast ratings, including Spanish newscasts? I've tried googling, but I could only find ratings for the English stations.

You could put in a request on the Chicago Radio & Media page. I don't tend to trust it on big scoops, but that's where I go for ratings. I'm sure he could find some info for you.

I'm kind of thinking that I need to get a Nielsen account or some way to get the ratings, because info on them is scarce in Philly since we really don't have a local TV columnist anymore. Usually, 6 puts at least some of the numbers in its quarterly "WE WIN" press release, usually to illustrate how one-sided the competition is. (Usually they outdraw everything else combined for every news slot save for the 11pm.)

I want to see a couple of things:

• First, I want to see how WCAU is doing with their revitalized format and resources. They've been putting out a top-notch product these days.
  • Second, I want to see how 29 is doing. I've heard their evening newscasts are actually doing pretty well, and Good Day has been consistently getting top demo ratings from 7am onwards, so...
  • More importantly, I want to see the numbers for the 10pm newscasts. I have a feeling that 29 is getting some of its fiercest competition ever, with 17's new partnership with WPVI.

They are fighting with WTVJ on average forth place. Normally its Telemundo 51, WLTV, WSVN, WTVJ(WPLG), WPLG(WTVJ), WFOR, WSFL, WBFS and thats also not counting the other spanish stations here.

So if you include only the English stations, it's WSVN, WTVJ, WPLG, and WFOR (thouch WTVJ has never crashed to last place).

And it's going to be awhile before the Alaska numbers are in; but by the time November sweeps roll around, I will have had enough of KTUU's (Anchorage) and KTVF's (Fairbanks) monopolies. Look for me at a real market in Seattle (where KING is still king; if not, KOMO) or Atlanta (ditto for WSB, though WAGA looks pretty solid too).

We have yet to hear from Washington D.C. How did WJLA do against WRC (with ol' Jim Vance), WTTG, and WUSA?

FROM DCRTV.com - WRC: We're #1 DC TV Newser - 5/24 - Yesterday, Allbritton's Channel 7/WJLA put out a press release bragging that its May newscasts placed first at 11 PM. Now, a source from NBC-owned Channel 4/WRC, the usual DC TV news leader, tells us: "WRC isn't putting out an official press release, but here are the highlights for WRC in the May ratings book...

WRC is #1 in all newscasts (A25-54 and HH)... 'News 4' at 11 grew 15%, outperforming lead-in share by 87%... 'News 4' at 11 is the #1 late news, including Fox 5 10 PM news... 'News 4' at 5 has a higher number than other three stations combined... 'Today,' 'Nightly News' and 'Tonight Show' firmly in first place... 'Steve Harvey' and 'Ellen' both #1 and up year-to-year".....

Whoa wait what?! Since how long has WPLG been doing THAT badly in the market? Weren't they just consistently #1 a few years ago and wasn't WTVJ posting massive gains and actually managing to come in second just last year after their revamp?

Its been that way for a while. Many people forget that although yes WTVJ has posted massive gains, this is still the crazy market where Telemundo and Univision are one and two. WSVN is still third. So this would place WTVJ fourth in the overal market ratings with WPLG teetering on Fifth and sixth with WFOR. This is an oddball market down here.

Archived