May Sweeps 2013: The Numbers

24994J

Plain and simple, how'd the ratings game turn out?

In CHICAGO, WLS pretty much made a clean sweep (excuse the pun). In order, it went WLS, WGN, WMAQ, WBBM and WFLD in the mornings, even after 7am. 'Windy City Live' blew 'LMAD', 'Today' and 'Live!' out of the water at 9am, the latter 3 in a virtual tie for 2nd.

Compared to a year ago, everyone's late news was up, except for WBBM which lost nearly a point. WLS (10.0) gained a whole point from 2012, and almost outdrew WMAQ (5.9) and WBBM (4.8) combined. WGN (4.5) won the 9pm hour handily against WFLD (2.8).

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/5638-wls-tv-newscasts-sweep-the-may-2013-ratings-sweeps

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Milwaukee, WISN wins at 5, 6, and 10 with WITI winning in the morning. The big story here is that WISN blew WTMJ out of the water at 10 (and how close WITI and WDTJ have pulled to WTMJ). The final numbers at 10 were:

WISN: 8.9

WTMJ: 6.0

WITI: 5.7

WDJT: 5.6

In Milwaukee, WISN wins at 5, 6, and 10 with WITI winning in the morning. The big story here is that WISN blew WTMJ out of the water at 10 (and how close WITI and WDTJ have pulled to WTMJ). The final numbers at 10 were:

Complete Story, including more time slots: http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/tvradio/channel-12-wins-big-in-may-sweeps-b9917751z1-208759181.html

Keep in mind these are the household ratings, not the 25-54's.

Other things I found interesting about the overall results:

- "Jeopardy" on WDJT is almost neck-and-neck with WISN at 6:00. Again, this being the household ratings may be a factor here; Jeopardy probably skews very old.

- WISN absolutely killed the competition at 10:30. When WISN first announced they were expanding the 10:00 news to 1 hour, there was a very loud negative reaction, which apparently has completely gone away. Doesn't look like there's a chance that Kimmel will ever move into the 10:35 slot in Milwaukee with those ratings.

WFAA may be the big winner at 5 & 10pm but CBS 11 is #1 at 6pm; and on top of that' date=' CBS 11 is the only station to show year-to-year growth in all four major battlegrounds.[/font']

CBS 11 News experienced year-to-year gains at:

4 p.m. - up 27,080 viewers; Up 4% among viewers ages 25 to 54

5 p.m. - up 32,680 viewers; Up 57% among viewers ages 25 to 54

10 p.m. - up 6,360 viewers; Up 10% among viewers ages 25 to 54

CBS 11 is the most-watched in network prime, with 15 of the top 25 shows, including NCIS, The Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest and NCIS: Los Angeles. And among viewers ages 25 to 54, CBS 11 has 9 of the top 25 shows in prime --more than any other station -- including The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men and NCIS.

CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley is up 44,410 viewers year over year and has more than doubled the rating among viewers ages 25 to 54.

CBS This Morning (7- 9 a.m.) has more than tripled the number of viewers versus last May and has more than tripled the rating among viewers ages 25 to 54.

Wheel of Fortune remains the most-watched program in the time period (6:30 p.m.), with 247,480 viewers. It also the number one program in the time period among viewers ages 25 to 54.

CBS 11 is the most-watched station in daytime (9 a.m. – 3 p.m.)

Oops, yes, I omitted KTVT from the title. I noticed our CBS affiliate saw a big bump after the Boston Marathon bombing coverage. Scott Pelley did a terrific job in my opinion, and I wonder if that rang true with viewers too.

Looks like KCRA "swept" the sweeps period, or at least they claim to have...

http://www.kcra.com/kcra-3-news-dominates-may-sweeps-in-sacramento/-/11798090/20283346/-/6gl68v/-/index.html

And in Norfolk, WVEC is gaining viewers, and somewhat winning in the ratings.

http://www.belo.com/newsroom/releases/WVEC-Wins-Five-Weekday-Newscasts-in-May-2013-Sweeps-Period-208815101.html

In Memphis, WREG almost swept the competition in ALL time slots.

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2013/5/25/wreg_dominates_may_sweeps_commercial_appeal.htm

KCTV blew the rest of Kansas City's stations out of the water.

http://www.bottomlinecom.com/kctv-celebrates-sweeps-most-watched-station-in-kansas-city/

Actually that's not quite true. WMC did win the 6 PM by half a point. WREG and WMC tied in that period in February. I guess people in Memphis still like their NBC Nightly News. Only guess I can give.

If there's any good news both WREG and WMC had decent year-to-year gains after years of sliding ratings overall. WHBQ and WPTY were relatively flat.

FOX affiliates somewhat succeeding? I'm shocked.

It's not that farfetched. WJW in Cleveland usually does well, and KHON (Honolulu) and WALA (Mobile) are tops in their markets. (WBRC is at or near the top in Birmingham if I'm not mistaken; same with WTTG in Washington )

Denver sweeps. KUSA wins again, at least in a couple of timeslots/dayparts.

Also, KWGN's morning news does better than KDVR's.

I guess Britt Moreno isn't providing the type of recovery that KCNC expected. Will this be it or do they need more time? I don't know.

Fixed it for you...

Oh just shut-up Todd! This is Home ain't that all that and a bag of chips! *Sarcasm* I wouldn't be surprised if TiH contributed it a slight increase. It just proves that Gari knows what they are doing (and so does G3)!

Perhaps if WDJT got an actual investigative unit they could pull ahead of WITI.

Or we can just wait for Sinclair to buy WITI. Might be easier.

Perhaps if WDJT got an actual investigative unit they could pull ahead of WITI.

Or we can just wait for Sinclair to buy WITI. Might be easier.

Now why did you have to say that?!!!!! Now Sinclair is going to try to jam that Stealfield card in.

Tribune, you better scrape up some chump change and acquire TV6 and block Sincrap from getting it.

Archived