Rob Jennings Retiring from 6ABC

Jess

I can picture Eva Pilgrim or maybe even Nydia Han moving in as Rob's replacement on the weekends.

Eva has filled in as a co-anchor a few weeks ago. She did a decent job I thought

When Jim retires ---and the thought of that depresses me. I really do believe Brian Taff will be the new "face" of 6 & 11pm news. He quickly went from reporter on the streets, the new 4pm format last year, 10pm on PHL. I just have a feeling they are getting him ready for the big news time slots. I'm not thrilled with it. It was already said - he sounds TOO polished, like a robot.

The banter between him, Shirleen Alicott & Alicia Vitarelli during the 4pm news can be painful to watch sometimes.

I can picture Eva Pilgrim or maybe even Nydia Han moving in as Rob's replacement on the weekends.

Eva has filled in as a co-anchor a few weeks ago. She did a decent job I thought

When Jim retires ---and the thought of that depresses me. I really do believe Brian Taff will be the new "face" of 6 & 11pm news. He quickly went from reporter on the streets, the new 4pm format last year, 10pm on PHL. I just have a feeling they are getting him ready for the big news time slots. I'm not thrilled with it. It was already said - he sounds TOO polished, like a robot.

The banter between him, Shirleen Alicott & Alicia Vitarelli during the 4pm news can be painful to watch sometimes.

I believe it will be Rick Williams or Rick Williams & Monica Malpass who will succeed Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

From Laura Nachman: Action News at 4, 5, & 6 tomorrow will be an on-air send off for Rob Jennings. A 6ABC press release touts that the 6pm news will end with a special moment: Rob Jennings will share the news desk with Jim Gardner for the first and only time in their 36 years at Action News.

http://lauranachman.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/salute-to-rob-jennings/

A 6ABC press release touts that the 6pm news will end with a special moment: Rob Jennings will share the news desk with Jim Gardner for the first and only time in their 36 years at Action News.

WARNING: There is a very good chance of minds being blown.

The video doesn't show it but they ran a full MCTYW close. No B-roll footage, just an overhead shot of Rob, Jim, and family celebrating. Very, very appropriate.

And yes, it was a fitting tribute to one of the great anchors of this market. His ACEL will be sorely missed. Take care, Rob.

Here's the vid in full.

Video courtesy of ThatGuyInPhilly from YT.

All of this is summed up into one word. EPIC!!!

That was great! A well-deserved farewell to an anchor just as great and credible as Jim and Larry Kane! And to think 36 years and they have never been in the same anchor desk at the same time?... Also, to think... if this was how they sent Rob off to retirement... one has to wonder how they will send Jim Gardner off when he decides to end a legendary career at Action News.

Correction: ALWAYS painful to watch. I cannot watch the Action News at 4, it just seems so contrived. I agree with the above posters about Brian Taff being robotic. I also think that Shirleen Allicot is quite awkward. It seems like she's nervous when she's on air and her segue ways are, well, let's just say she's not the next Rick Williams. Watch the way she grips that pen when she's on air...she's nervous.

Since I'm watching Eva Pilgrim on air as we speak, do we think she will be the permanent replacement? I think Chris Sowers will be quite upset that he will no longer be playing morning sidekick to Walter Perez.

I have a feeling Eva Pilgrim will be the weekend anchor because once she left Indianapolis, they said she would be an anchor/reporter at WPVI and that was about a year ago. I got the felling when Jim Gardner leaves they are going to either move Rick and Monica to do the 5 and 11 and have Shirleen and Brian do the 6 or just have a solo anchor at 6.

I'd like to see Lisa Thomas-Laury take Rob's place.

I try not to speculate anymore since it's annoying and generally wrong, but this makes tons of sense.

She already has the "Action News brand" (older demos have watched her in the past, younger demos grew-up with her on TV.) This would cause very minimal displacement for the viewers who HATE change (see: older demos who love Action News and already have been through a lot of change recently.)

This would also be a relatively easy work-load for her -- 2 days a week, nightside (back on the desk 5 days a week may have been pushing it for her) -- and she could fill-in occasionally on weeknights and do a health piece or something.

Archived