The CW Affiliate Apocalypse of 2016

The Frog

Yes. We could've had a revival of 'Pyramid' with Andy Richter, instead we got 'The Talk'.

If only Richter was sleeping with the boss.

At least it finally got her off of the morning show.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least it finally got her off of the morning show.

I may be in the minority, but Julie Chen has been more bearable on The Talk than she was on the Early show. Also, wouldn't a show like The Talk be cheaper to produce and bring in more revenue than a re-make of an old game show? Back to the CW situation, I think that Tribune will stick around for several more years with the CW, even after the 2016 deal expires. If for any reason, it will give Tribune more time to decide if they want to sell their stations or fully develop a programming service/studio. Also, keep in mind that CBS is very resourceful and they wouldn't blink twice if Tribune were to end its affiliation with the CW, if anything those markets who don't have anywhere for the CW to land could very well move to the CBS' O&O subchannels.

Yes. We could've had a revival of 'Pyramid' with Andy Richter, instead we got 'The Talk'.

If only Richter was sleeping with the boss.

I second that, but with the 2009 pilot of Pyramid revival would have been better. I HATE the talk, Period! wish it was canceled.

Back to the CW situation, I think that Tribune will stick around for several more years with the CW, even after the 2016 deal expires. If for any reason, it will give Tribune more time to decide if they want to sell their stations or fully develop a programming service/studio. Also, keep in mind that CBS is very resourceful and they wouldn't blink twice if Tribune were to end its affiliation with the CW, if anything those markets who don't have anywhere for the CW to land could very well move to the CBS' O&O subchannels.

If Tribune sells any stations, it would probably under market 30. Still, I don't expect that to happen before 2016 - they have to unload those newspapers first. They've had a syndication service for decades and continue to do so (Bill Cunningham's talk show is Tribune-produced, and IIRC, their only significant programming contribution to the CW).

CBS could convert the CW to a cable subchannel and solve the Tribune dilemma. But three problems present itself off the bat.

1.) CBS has no O&Os in Indianapolis, Houston, Washington, DC, St. Louis and NOLA. It's not a guarantee that the CBS affiliates will agree to running the CW on their subchannels, and they can't mandate their affiliates to clear it. A lot of markets will still risk losing the network for a long period of time.

2.) The CW would effectively cease to exist as a traditional broadcast network anyway. Think about it: if CBS makes it a subchannel programming service because it can't get clearance on any primary channels, their potential audience will be dramatically reduced as it is, but to put it on an HD2 or HD3 channel will reduce it even more. Wouldn't that be defeating the purpose?

3.) Would TimeWarner even be interested in such a move, or would they be more than willing to throw in the towel in spite of what CBS wants to do?

Ding! Ding! Ding! And here we go!!! http://scifimafia.com/2013/06/brannon-bragas-salem-picked-up-as-first-scripted-series-for-wgn-america/

WGN is becoming an official network (Probably renamed World's Greatest Network!). So who are the Tribune stations going to affiliate with? Themselves! Rather anticlimactic indeed. Or maybe not... It very well could be cable only.

We shall see.

I think they announced that they had higher ambitions for WGN America back when Ligouri was about to take the helm, around November or December.

Ligouri helped put FX on the map, so this is perfect for him...

Ding! Ding! Ding! And here we go!!! http://scifimafia.com/2013/06/brannon-bragas-salem-picked-up-as-first-scripted-series-for-wgn-america/

WGN is becoming an official network (Probably renamed World's Greatest Network!). So who are the Tribune stations going to affiliate with? Themselves! Rather anticlimactic indeed. Or maybe not... It very well could be cable only.

We shall see.

WGN America is already a cable channel and has been since 1978. It is the national/superstation feed of WGN-9, with a few differences in programming (primetime and news).

Its programming has mainly consisted of reruns in syndication. According to the article, this will be the first scripted series produced primarily for the channel. It might also be carried in syndication on other Tribune stations.

I think you're misreading the situation.

We shall see.

This only applies to WGN America not WGN 9 in Chicago. For the past year or so, Tribune has said they wanted to build WGN America as a true cable network having original programming instead of mainly a simulcast of WGN 9 Chicago.

WGN America is already a cable channel and has been since 1978. It is the national/superstation feed of WGN-9, with a few differences in programming (primetime and news).

Its programming has mainly consisted of reruns in syndication. According to the article, this will be the first scripted series produced primarily for the channel. It might also be carried in syndication on other Tribune stations.

Then at the very least, as you said, they can bring this second-run Network programming to their local stations flushing out a non-CW programming schedule.

Then at the very least, as you said, they can bring this second-run Network programming to their local stations flushing out a non-CW programming schedule.

That's if the show(s) are any good enough to eventually be syndicated and if it doesn't undermine what they are trying to do with WGN America. Tribune wants the cable co.s to pay more for WGNA, but if they realize that the shows on WGN will eventually find its way to its local stations then they might not be willing to pay as much. Also, if Tribune were to drop the CW on its stations, all they would really be saving is two hours of programming every weeknight. There is no guarantee that any replacement will garner higher viewership/ratings.

Original programming needs to be created for both WGN America AND the Tribune Broadcasting stations. The program being created for WGNA is being produced by Fox (where Peter Ligouri used to work--FX). You are still going to see first-run programming on Tribune stations--but Tribune itself will produce that programming, as they have said before.

I also believe that Tribune stations need to beef up their local programming (news, sports, etc). Not to mention cut back on weak sitcom reruns. Combine this with first-run programs from Tribune, and I strongly believe the ratings for these stations will come up (again).

Back on topic, right now, Tribune, even with its new (and more competent) ownership and management, has absolutely NO reason to renew its affiliation deal with The CW. Ratings are obviously low, and I am sure that their late newscasts have been hurt by that (with WGN being the only exception). Certainly WPIX's 10p.m. newscast has been hurt.

That said, 2016 is still a long ways away. The CW can still turn things around. Diversify the audience, program to more than one demographic, give not only Tribune stations, but all of its affiliates, hope that this net means business. If The CW fails, it will be because its executives blew opportunities to do such.

Guest Former Member 207

Some may forget that Tribune produced and/or distributed plenty of first-run syndication when its entertainment division launched in 1985 (around the same time they purchased KTLA)...you had Soul Train, the Siskel & Ebert version of At The Movies, Tales From the Darkside (their first original production IIRC), Dennis Miller's first talk show, and so on. Their first big project since the entertainment division has re-launched is co-producing (with CBS) Arsenio Hall's return to late night TV in the fall; it's being produced on the KTLA/Sunset-Bronson lot in Hollywood, which is ironically literally up the road from his old stomping grounds at Paramount.

Some may forget that Tribune produced and/or distributed plenty of first-run syndication when its entertainment division launched in 1985 (around the same time they purchased KTLA)...you had Soul Train, the Siskel & Ebert version of At The Movies, Tales From the Darkside (their first original production IIRC), Dennis Miller's first talk show, and so on. Their first big project since the entertainment division has re-launched is co-producing (with CBS) Arsenio Hall's return to late night TV in the fall; it's being produced on the KTLA/Sunset-Bronson lot in Hollywood, which is ironically literally up the road from his old stomping grounds at Paramount.

You are absolutely right about that. In fact, the most egregious move by the incompetent Sam Zell was shutting down the entertainment division and selling off the studio. I would personally not be surprised (and neither should all of you) if Tribune makes an attempt to get the Sunset-Bronson studio back, or perhaps, acquire another independent studio in Southern California.

There are more than a "few" differences between the two. WGN America is nowhere near similar to WGN-TV in any way. Fin-syn laws prevent that from happening- and those same same fin-syn laws will prevent WGN America from being used as the basis of a terrestrial network.

To be fair, WGN America does simulcast two hours of WGN's newscasts (noon and 9pm). And most sports play-by-play contests are simulcast. Otherwise, it's a totally different network along the lines of the WOR EMI Service was the "superstation" feed of WWOR-TV.

What should happen, if it hasn't already, is to clear WGN America in Chicago itself.

You mean SyndEx laws; fin-syn laws were repealed in 1993.

WGN America is in Chicago on DirecTV and Dish Network, but not on cable. Tribune should probably completely split the WGN-TV and WGNA feeds anyway...we might lose the simulcasted newscasts and sporting events, but the newscasts are, if the channel shifts direction to be more like FX or AMC, probably going sooner or later. As for sporting events, if Tribune could afford it, it would make sense to try bidding on national sports packages in order to raise the channel's profile. The MLB and NHL contracts aren't up anytime soon, but the NBA's current TV deals run out in 2016...

You mean SyndEx laws; fin-syn laws were repealed in 1993.

WGN America is in Chicago on DirecTV and Dish Network, but not on cable. Tribune should probably completely split the WGN-TV and WGNA feeds anyway...we might lose the simulcasted newscasts and sporting events, but the newscasts are, if the channel shifts direction to be more like FX or AMC, probably going sooner or later. As for sporting events, if Tribune could afford it, it would make sense to try bidding on national sports packages in order to raise the channel's profile. The MLB and NHL contracts aren't up anytime soon, but the NBA's current TV deals run out in 2016...

The Cubs' deal is also up in 2019, and there is a really good chance that the team won't re-sign. The current broadcasting deal dates back to when Tribune owned the team. It was a really good deal. They got all the ad revenue and paid peanuts for the rights...taking money out of one pocket to put it in another. The new ownership is going to want a huge amount come negotiation time, and Tribune may not want to/can't afford to pay up. There are early talks that the team may start there own cable network (which is a terrible idea in an already-crowded market), and they'll want a little help paying the bills after they complete the $500 million-plus renovations to Wrigley Field.

I'm guessing that Tribune is looking at the Cubs in addition to the Bulls. Also, it needs to be noted that the owner of the Bulls owns the White Sox, too.

The Cubs' deal is also up in 2019, and there is a really good chance that the team won't re-sign. The current broadcasting deal dates back to when Tribune owned the team. It was a really good deal. They got all the ad revenue and paid peanuts for the rights...taking money out of one pocket to put it in another. The new ownership is going to want a huge amount come negotiation time, and Tribune may not want to/can't afford to pay up. There are early talks that the team may start there own cable network (which is a terrible idea in an already-crowded market), and they'll want a little help paying the bills after they complete the $500 million-plus renovations to Wrigley Field.

I'm guessing that Tribune is looking at the Cubs in addition to the Bulls. Also, it needs to be noted that the owner of the Bulls owns the White Sox, too.

The Cubs' tv contract with the Cubs expires after the 2014 season. Most importantly though, the real value in WGN America right now would probably be the Cubs. If they were to lose the rights then it might be hard for Tribune to ask distributors to pay more for the channel.

Article on the WGN/Cubs tv deal:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-17/news/chi-ricketts-2013-20130217_1_rickettses-wgn-cubs

The Cubs' tv contract with the Cubs expires after the 2014 season. Most importantly though, the real value in WGN America right now would probably be the Cubs. If they were to lose the rights then it might be hard for Tribune to ask distributors to pay more for the channel.

Article on the WGN/Cubs tv deal:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-17/news/chi-ricketts-2013-20130217_1_rickettses-wgn-cubs

RIGHT! My mistake. It's the Sox contract that's up in 2019.

RIGHT! My mistake. It's the Sox contract that's up in 2019.

You are correct though with the 2019, which is the year that the Cubs' deal with CSN ends. It's very weird to see one contract end one year and the other another year, especially when it comes to a team's tv contract.

• 10 months later...

Theres no way Tribune affiliates leave The CW. Ratings have improved and the network seems to be trying. Tribune also probably doesn't want to start up it's own broadcast network when they're already busy re-starting WGN America. Tribune also seems to be getting along with CBS since they've already co-produced "Arsenio" and "Serch". The only possible change I could see with The CW is Time Warner selling their stake to either CBS or Tribune. Other than that, I'd be shocked if the Tribune affils. left The CW.

In the hypothetical that Tribune did leave The CW, I could see it being replaced with repeats of WGN America shows to promote their cable net which is more lucrative for them if it succeeds.

Theres no way Tribune affiliates leave The CW. Ratings have improved and the network seems to be trying. Tribune also probably doesn't want to start up it's own broadcast network when they're already busy re-starting WGN America. Tribune also seems to be getting along with CBS since they've already co-produced "Arsenio" and "Serch". The only possible change I could see with The CW is Time Warner selling their stake to either CBS or Tribune. Other than that, I'd be shocked if the Tribune affils. left The CW.

In the hypothetical that Tribune did leave The CW, I could see it being replaced with repeats of WGN America shows to promote their cable net which is more lucrative for them if it succeeds.

the problem is that if TimeWarner sells their stake in The CW to either CBS or Tribune then they must rebrand that network because TimeWarner wouldn't have any kind of ownership in some shape and form of The CW.

the problem is that if TimeWarner sells their stake in The CW to either CBS or Tribune then they must rebrand that network because TimeWarner wouldn't have any kind of ownership in some shape and form of The CW.

Yeah, because UPN had to do the same thing when Chris-Craft/UTV sold their stake...oh wait. :rolleyes:

UPN survived for several years despite Fox purchasing the network's key affiliates and both network flagships. (CBS only got KBHK via a trade from that overall transaction.)

Not that it was under optimal conditions by any stretch, but the network survived nonetheless.

True. But in essence The CW and it's programming wouldn't change, just a different identity.

Archived