CNN Got it Right Tonight

Rusty Muck

Let me start by stating that I live in Northern Ohio. Around these parts, there has been a lot of emotional investment regarding three missing teens, all from Cleveland's west side, who inexplicably vanished one-by-one over the past ten years. And unless you've been living under a rock, you have probably heard about their amazing rescue from captivity earlier tonight.

For all the grief I gave CNN (okay, ALL of us gave CNN) after they dropped the ball following the Boston Marathon terrorist attack, I commend them in equal measure for being the lone cable news channel to break from regular programming and give non-stop rolling coverage on what is probably the biggest news story in Cleveland's recent history... and showing good discipline in their coverage and reporting. (It didn't hurt that they have affiliations with all four local news outlets in town, so they had the ability to cherry-pick footage from them all.) The one weak point is still Piers, but that is to be expected...

Where were Fox and MSNBC? Nowhere to be found but prattling off their predicable polemic opinion pieces and talking points. Whoopie. I wanted to flip between all three while working out and compare/contrast their coverage, but they apparently didn't want to bother.

This is how it is done. If I were Jeff Zucker, I would be very encouraged. An all-news channel ought to be reporting the news.

Let me start by stating that I live in Northern Ohio. Around these parts' date=' there has been a lot of emotional investment regarding three missing teens, all from Cleveland's west side, who inexplicably vanished one-by-one over the past ten years. And unless you've been living under a rock, you have probably heard about their amazing rescue from captivity earlier tonight.

For all the grief I gave CNN (okay, ALL of us gave CNN) after they dropped the ball following the Boston Marathon terrorist attack, I commend them in equal measure for being the lone cable news channel to break from regular programming and give non-stop rolling coverage on what is probably the biggest news story in Cleveland's recent history... and showing good discipline in their coverage and reporting. (It didn't hurt that they have affiliations with all four local news outlets in town, so they had the ability to cherry-pick footage from them all.) The one weak point is still Piers, but that is to be expected...

Where were Fox and MSNBC? Nowhere to be found but prattling off their predicable polemic opinion pieces and talking points. Whoopie. I wanted to flip between all three while working out and compare/contrast their coverage, but they apparently didn't want to bother.

This is how it is done. If I were Jeff Zucker, I would be very encouraged. An all-news channel ought to be reporting the news.

Where's Nancy Grace (TVNT User) when you need em'

Where's Nancy Grace (TVNT User) when you need em'

I'm actually shocked that HLN continued with saturation coverage of Jodi Arias. This story is up there with Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard.

Good job CNN! Now if only they would stop with all the numerous talk/fluff shows and actually return to a full 24-hour news schedule...at least they're (somewhat) getting there...

And then, there is this.

In a bizarre television and spatial anomaly on CNN this morning, the blanket coverage of two true-crime stories led two news anchors to conduct an odd "satellite" interview from the very same parking lot, background traffic and all.

The two suspects are Ashleigh Banfield of CNN and Nancy Grace of Headline News, who were updating viewers on the latest from the ongoing and increasingly ugly Cleveland kidnapping story.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/05/nancy-grace-ashleigh-banfield-cnn-parking-lot/64965/

Stick them next to each other and save the electricity. Yikes.

On a positive note, CNN has had reporter Martin Savidge as one of their reporters here in Cleveland. Savidge was a reporter/anchor at WJW back in the late 80s and early 90s. Helps to have someone who knows the territory.

Archived