WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I did not. This was just temporary and tonight I will post them here on the site and remove that link.

EDIT: They are now on this site and are no longer on Photobucket. Thanks for the heads up.

Nice to see tweets from people at 3, 5, and 13 congratulating 24 on the relaunch. They know this helps everybody be better at the end of the day (hopefully). I'm sure they don't want too much success though, LOL.

Well we spoke to soon. The commercial did not cue on Two and a Half Men so they cued up a screengrab from the package of the new logo in the hallway for about 15 seconds.

That's what happens when you start partying (pic via @localmemphis) ;-)

BLtkUqiCQAASxz6.jpg

Local Memphis Facebook says that the newscasts will be live streamed on the website starting Monday...big plus. Now all Memphis stations will be live streaming.

Is this a first for a Nexstar station? Or is there other Nexstar stations that stream their newscasts online? Nexstar is very protective with their signals.

That could've waited until after the 10:00 show to start celebrating.

Haha, I know. Although I don't know if I can fault them too much, if I had been working at that old place as long as many of them have, I'd probably be celebrating after one single newscast too.

Is this a first for a Nexstar station? Or is there other Nexstar stations that stream their newscasts online? Nexstar is very protective with their signals.

For the original Nexstar stations, it might be. Most of the old Newport stations did stream regularly though and still do after the Newport acquisition, 24 rarely ever did. Hopefully that will be something Nexstar spreads to the others this summer.

That could've waited until after the 10:00 show to start celebrating.

They probably want to show-out because it was their inaugural broadcast. But you were right, it didn't need all that fanfare.

But they probably won't be there after 10:30pm, probably tending to other Saturday Night extracurricular engagements.......

I wonder how the graphics is going to look like for their hourly 9pm show on Channel 30 tonight.

Yep I was just about to post that. All you can see on 4:3 is "CW" and the "30" is cut off. I don't really care for how that logo is presented either. There were of course some technical glitches that I'm sure will be worked out over the next few days, nothing like what WREG endured when they first went HD. They showed a little bit more behind the scenes including the control room at 9 PM...where one person said that they run four stations...which I don't think they do unless I am missing something.

Watching the 9:00 newscast, and I already have one complaint: safe zones. Half of the logo is cut off in 4:3 view along with some areas on the left side.

Yep, if you're watching in SD it looks like "CW3". Oops. Not the biggest issue ever but it will obviously have to be fixed.

Yep I was just about to post that. All you can see on 4:3 is "CW" and the "30" is cut off. I don't really care for how that logo is presented either. There were of course some technical glitches that I'm sure will be worked out over the next few days, nothing like what WREG endured when they first went HD. They showed a little bit more behind the scenes including the control room at 9 PM...where one person said that they run four stations...which I don't think they do unless I am missing something.

I think they're counting 30.2 as part of that, in addition to WPTY, WLMT and WJKT.

You're not missing anything, as I am assuming the fourth channel they are talking about is a sub channel (particularly WLMT's as the other two do not have any).

Wow. Talk about glitches galore. Makes me feel better that they chose the weekend to do an official launch.

Trevorbirchett gets a shout out on air - Congrats!

Good news - The weather graphics system doesn't have all that hesitation and slowness which was the 6:00's biggest problem.

You're not missing anything, as I am assuming the fourth channel they are talking about is a sub channel (particularly WLMT's as the other two do not have any).

Wow. Talk about glitches galore. Makes me feel better that they chose the weekend to do an official launch.

Weekend cosmetic change launches is highly common. This is in case they have to do some tweaks, before the weekday. You don't want to have any have a plethora of glitches if it was the weekday launch. So they will obviously will be doing some tweaks before the Monday shows, if not for tomorrow night.

I remember Saturday, January 6, 2007 like a bell, when WLS started their HD newscast. That time & temp bug font was almost as big as the station logo below it. By the Monday evening shows, they'd decreased the font size.

I love the fact that many of the colleagues at the competing stations have showed their congrats to channel 24 and their new digs.

Well, hopefully the 10:00 on WATN is less glitchy than that was. LOL.

One minor format change so far on the CW30 newscast, while sports still largely takes up that last 15 minute chunk, Cameron and Joyce no longer sign off from their end before 9:45 as had been the case for years there. They did a full sign off at the end.

From what i've seen thus far (screengrabs posted on this site and the opening segment on LocalMemphis.com) it's pretty impressive, especially compared to what it replaced.

Weirdly enough, it seems like a clone of former sister station WKRC in Cincinnati, the graphics and overall presentation are nearly identical (even weirder is that Sinclair NOW owns them!)

Archived