WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

Currently WATN-TV 24 and WLMT-TV 30 are off the air on Comcast Cable. Only a black screen showing on the HD version the SD shows a frozen picture of Nightline (ABC) and Meet the Browns (CW). It went off around 12:05pm.

I can confirm that as well, on DirecTV and the OTA signal are all off-air as of 12:25 (20 minutes later) Hmm, Joyce's post would have indicated they weren't doing a Midnight switch it seemed, wonder what's going on.

-- Just another update at 12:45. Still off-air. Given this happened right after Midnight, certainly it's related. May just be some overnight engineering work in prep for the switch, this is the best time to do it. Or, perhaps they'll come back at some point as officially WATN.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just another update at 12:45. Still off-air. Given this happened right after Midnight, certainly it's related. May just be some overnight engineering work in prep for the switch, this is the best time to do it. Or, perhaps they'll come back at some point as officially WATN.

WATN-TV and WLMT-TV on Comcast Cable have been restored. Along with some WPTY graphic hits. So not moved yet I assume.

WATN-TV and WLMT-TV on Comcast Cable have been restored. Along with some WPTY graphic hits. So not moved yet I assume.

Interesting, Comcast's direct signal has been restored then. The actual OTA signal still off though. DirecTV captures from the OTA signal and they remain off too. I would definitely guess engineering work then especially if you're still noticing WPTY IDs.

Master Controls should've began from the new building, as soon as all the equipment was hooked up, so it wouldn't be any disruptions. Now the OTA signal would probably be off the air til' morning from the new facilities, if not sooner. If they knew that they were going to do that, they should have posted some notice.

Master Controls should've began from the new building, as soon as all the equipment was hooked up, so it wouldn't be any disruptions. Now the OTA signal would probably be off the air til' morning from the new facilities, if not sooner. If they knew that they were going to do that, they should have posted some notice.

There was never any confirmation of this, but I suspect that's what happened when they had those outages and issues a few weeks back. What's so weird despite pretty much everything being announced online, there has still been ZERO mention of any of these changes on TV except the original package a month ago (with a replay of that same package a couple of weeks ago). Even Cameron and Joyce only signed off at 10 tonight with "we hope to see you back tomorrow night".

Of course, assuming Joyce is correct and weather issues could mess up the plans, uncertainty is in the equation now on whether they pull this off tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

The switch *has* happened. WPTY is now WATN and they are running promos/IDs identifying as such. Now whether they are broadcasting news tonight in the new building, not sure, but the weather is pretty clear now with storms slowly moving in from the north. I think they'll have enough time to do whatever transmission work needed.

WLMT is also running promos with the same basic layout as the Local 24 ones, except green instead of red. The CW 30 logo is pretty much the same. However, one very interesting thing I saw, a Cameron Harper ID ran with "WLM TV". That's the only one I've seen on 30, so I'm going to assume that was a mistake that somehow made it through since there was no mention of a call sign change for them.

Double post, sorry. Just saw a promo that was similar to "This is Home". It was some kind of custom song made just for them with shots around Memphis and of the anchors. It was very nice.

I'll do what I can too. I even recorded the "final" newscasts for 24 and 30 from 2701 Union last night.

I recorded the 10 last night. Even though they never said anything directly about it being their last night and them moving tomorrow (today), you could absolutely see on their faces how ecstatic they were to be ending this era, where the last 5 years especially has been rough. The YT video also tells that tale.

Anyway, 6 PM looks to be it based on tweets (they don't do 5 PM news on Saturday).

So since we're getting close to ninety minutes before the first Local 24 News broadcast, let's go down memory lane, shall we?

This could be a repost on this board. If so, I apologize. But here's an excerpt of WPTY's first newscast from December 1st, 1995.

Video Courtesy of htmldon from YT

Here's a new angle from Joyce Peterson that shows the offshoot area well. Also, looks like sports may be done in front of those two vertical wall monitors on the right side of that.

BLtJOMYCEAMpDX9.jpg

Haha I feel ya. I've been watching off and on all day recording promos and such. There are actually a few versions of the promo with the song...they just have different shots.

New sports anchor just announced: Andy Burrell from KATC in Lafayette, LA.

Looks like speculation was correct! Funny little segment there as an introduction. I think Doc Holliday is going to do a fantastic job here, he brings something unique to the table.

Overall, very impressed. A few glitches and nitpicks here and there, and I think the biggest bug I saw was some real hesitation in the weather graphics system (hopefully that will be temporary), but it's gone pretty smoothly overall which isn't the easiest thing when you're doing something like this.

Archived