WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

Same Inergize-style website ruined with another crappy, unwielding, Nexstar-esque logo and name (at least they worked in LOCAL and part of the look...so I won't fault them for that)

Keeping an Inergize website was a plus....removing it from their station like virtually every other Nexstar site is a mistake. Would it kill them to at LEAST put the new logo on the site visible somewhere so someone could put 2 and 2 together?

Like most people, when I want to go to a station's web site, I want it to be simple...like WXXX.com ABCXX.com, LOCALXXNEWS.com etc....not some unwielding name that makes me think I've stumbled on a spam page.

I'm sure the first thing people think when they go to a website is Hmmm....let's go to CrappyLocalWebSite.com for all my LOCAL news, weather, sports and deals!

End rant.

They'll need to do a good job on the air explaining it, for sure. Hopefully they will. Some things certainly may change too with the real overhaul on the way, though I can't envision a site name change for WATN again. Some of the really strange ones from the older Nexstar sites may hopefully get simpler domains though.

Of course, let's not forget WPTY had myeyewitnessnews.com years ago which most people here never got either. ABC24.com has always been a redirect and I assume that will remain.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nexstar broke the bank getting Charlie Van Dyke as the VO.

But U-Phonix????!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!

I can forgive Nexstar for deciding to use U-Phonix instead of one of the newer Stephen Arnold packages out there. So much for them keeping the use of Inergy.

The promos on the other hand: :drool:

Wow. Color me surprised by the switch to UPhonix. But they may have felt that it fit the look they were going for better. I can certainly live with it. Remember this is the station that's had PNP then NO news music for the last 10 years.

That channel has several promo reels up. Nice nice nice and exactly the feel I was hoping for. Almost can't believe 24's about to finally feel like a big market operation.

Aside from their website, this has to be the biggest relaunch i've seen a long time....the only thing that comes close was Media General's relaunch of WBMG into WIAT.

The time is right, with WMC and WHBQ slipping, and WREG for sale, WATN has the potential to clean their clocks if they can stay on top of their game and not take themselves too seriously (by alienating viewers with too much flash and not enough substance).

Even though WIAT took ten years to become a factor (mostly due to MG trading "up" to WVTM, and driving THEM into the ground), growth is going to come at the expense of their competition not being on top of their game.

I can forgive Nexstar for deciding to use U-Phonix instead of one of the newer Stephen Arnold packages out there. So much for them keeping the use of Inergy.

The promos on the other hand: :drool:

and oh...that's a green screen they're standing in front of isn't it? that, or they're having literally the same two people walk past each other over and over and over again.

and oh...that's a green screen they're standing in front of isn't it? that, or they're having literally the same two people walk past each other over and over and over again.

Umm...no. That's clearly not a green screen. That's their actual set and they're actually in it. Have you been paying attention at all to this thread?

And the "two people walk past each other" is a trick you'll find pretty much anywhere and everywhere. How does that convince you it's green screen? Clearly they just used it for each shot by, you know, having the people walk across each other another time. It's not that hard.

And as far as U-Phonix, of course that's what it's going for and I'm quite sure that's intended. To me you're sounding like somebody in a large market that doesn't like to see smaller markets trying to step up their game or feel they deserve to give it a shot.

Nexstar broke the bank getting Charlie Van Dyke as the VO.

But U-Phonix????!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!

Feels like I'm watching WVUE in New Orleans because they have the same set VO and music. Although the graphics at WATN probably look much nicer.

Umm...no. That's clearly not a green screen. That's their actual set and they're actually in it. Have you been paying attention at all to this thread?

And the "two people walk past each other" is a trick you'll find pretty much anywhere and everywhere. How does that convince you it's green screen? Clearly they just used it for each shot by, you know, having the people walk across each other another time. It's not that hard.

And as far as U-Phonix, of course that's what it's going for and I'm quite sure that's intended. To me you're sounding like somebody in a large market that doesn't like to see smaller markets trying to step up their game or feel they deserve to give it a shot.

There's no need for your hostility at all. You almost seem offended at my comments.

I thought it might have been a green screen because to me it looked as if it was the same two people walking by each other at exactly the same time, every time. I am well aware they actually built a set. It's not that hard to record your own set and then put it on a green screen and some other personalities in front of it. My local Fox affiliate does that almost every night between the transition of their 9 and 10pm newscasts: have the hosts of the 9pm stand in front of a green screened image of their set before tossing it to the start of the 10pm. And if they're not, then they're doing a damn fine job at rearranging everything on the set for a total of a minute.

And in regards to U-Phonix, I just don't like it as a package and I find it so used in smaller markets that it, obviously, screams "small market TV."

There's no need for your hostility at all. You almost seem offended at my comments.

I thought it might have been a green screen because to me it looked as if it was the same two people walking by each other at exactly the same time, every time. I am well aware they actually built a set. It's not that hard to record your own set and then put it on a green screen and some other personalities in front of it. My local Fox affiliate does that almost every night between the transition of their 9 and 10pm newscasts: have the hosts of the 9pm stand in front of a green screened image of their set before tossing it to the start of the 10pm. And if they're not, then they're doing a damn fine job at rearranging everything on the set for a total of a minute.

And in regards to U-Phonix, I just don't like it as a package and I find it so used in smaller markets that it, obviously, screams "small market TV."

No, no hostility was intended and I was not offended, it just seemed your comments were a little off-base as a point of criticism (and there are some things worthy of criticism, but that one just seemed weird to me).

To your point, I can see where you're coming from. However, the promo shots are definitely 100% authentic. Both Cameron Harper and Joyce Peterson have been tweeting pics directly from these promo sessions that bears out what's seen there.

U-Phonix is definitely used by mostly smaller markets (maybe medium to be more accurate), but it also was commissioned and originally used by KTVT too, so it's intentions certainly began for large market use.

This promo in particular seems to reveal their slogan: "Your Local Story is Our Local Story"

EDIT - not surprisingly I got it wrong at first LOL

Haha, at least it's coherent. Unlike WITI's run-on-sentence of a slogan.

No, no hostility was intended and I was not offended, it just seemed your comments were a little off-base as a point of criticism (and there are some things worthy of criticism, but that one just seemed weird to me).

To your point, I can see where you're coming from. However, the promo shots are definitely 100% authentic. Both Cameron Harper and Joyce Peterson have been tweeting pics directly from these promo sessions that bears out what's seen there.

U-Phonix is definitely used by mostly smaller markets (maybe medium to be more accurate), but it also was commissioned and originally used by KTVT too, so it's intentions certainly began for large market use.

I think part of why people think U-Phonix "screams small-market" is because this used to be the old standardized music package for Sinclair.

I don't mind it though. It seems to work for WVUE and I think it'll work for WATN as well.

I think part of why people think U-Phonix "screams small-market" is because this used to be the old standardized music package for Sinclair.

I don't mind it though. It seems to work for WVUE and I think it'll work for WATN as well.

That's true. Didn't think about that. Sinclair always ruins things :p

A slight correction on the slogan too - it seems the primary use is actually just "Your Story is Our Story". Only one of the promos had the "Local"s included.

From that same YT account, I found a lower third test. As expected, very close to WKRC, with the main difference being the logo area and ticker, and no "this is the story you're watching" bar. This doesn't show the graphics animated except the bug, which transitions between the standard Local 24 and one for LocalMemphis.com

Speaking of which, here is a test of that animation

Most of these videos were posted weeks ago. Too bad we weren't aware before, we would have know a lot more sooner!

Why didn't they use the slogan "Where Local News Comes First" for thier Local 24 Ad Campaigns?

Because WHBQ uses that slogan.

Why didn't they use the slogan "Where Local News Comes First" for thier Local 24 Ad Campaigns?

Because WHBQ uses that slogan.

They used to use that slogan, but no longer (WHBQ dropped it about a year after adopting the standardized Fox look in '06). That and WREG used that same slogan in the 90s.

They used to use that slogan, but no longer (WHBQ dropped it about a year after adopting the standardized Fox look in '06). That and WREG used that same slogan in the 90s.

Yeah, they have dropped it haven't they. That said, with both WREG and WHBQ having used it before, and Nexstar clearly wanting the branding to be fresh and new, that was probably never going to be a possibility.

ABC24 has a touching goodbye to their old set on YouTube

Really the only question left is when do they "flip the switch" and shift the feed from the Midtown building to the new one. Right at Midnight? 5/6 Newscast? Or maybe even 9/10? Hasn't really been said yet.

Interesting note just passed along by Joyce Peterson on FB in reply to a ? about whether the debut would happen tomorrow.

wx permitting...tomorrow. Our engineers have some final tweaks to do on the new transmission tower. If they get the work done before the storms...it's a go!

So, if weather becomes a problem tomorrow (and severe storms are in the forecast), then things might be held off until Sunday. Hopefully there will be enough dry hours in the morning and afternoon to finish off whatever necessary.

Really the only question left is when do they "flip the switch" and shift the feed from the Midtown building to the new one. Right at Midnight? 5/6 Newscast? Or maybe even 9/10? Hasn't really been said yet.

Currently WATN-TV 24 and WLMT-TV 30 are off the air on Comcast Cable. Only a black screen showing on the HD version the SD shows a frozen picture of Nightline (ABC) and Meet the Browns (CW). It went off around 12:05pm.

Archived