WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like their mobile webpage is already upgraged with the new logo.

Indeed.

One more pic of the weather center from Joyce Peterson, to note here is more of the graphics package in the monitors on the wall:

BLhwcHlCAAIeXv3.jpg

That pretty much *is* the WKRC package (not a look-a-like), which makes it much more convincing to me that these are indeed from Hothaus, and they just re-customized the package for WATN. Will be interested to see how the L3s compare.

The stations used Ross Overdrive to automate its news production at

the old, midtown facility, says Russell, but they won’t be using it in

the new facility.

“I just think that you have much more control over the

quality of the presentation of your product if you’re not sitting on

automation and putting all your eggs in one basket with one or two guys

that hopefully aren’t sick that day.

"Until someone tells me otherwise, and especially with the

investment you have to make in studio cameras and mechanisms for

control, I just like to have the human intervention to control the type

of product that we put out there to our clients and viewers.”

This guy is my hero.

Wow this really is all impressive for them. BUT! Please allow me to b!tch for two moments:

Hate the font of the "24" in their new logo.

Hate the way the newsroom background looks.

This guy is my hero.

Mine too now.

I don't really like the font either, but it is what it is. Whenever a new logo is designed by Nexstar, it can often be either a hit or a miss (Take KODE-TV for example).

Wow this really is all impressive for them. BUT! Please allow me to b!tch for two moments:

Hate the way the newsroom background looks.

Some of the pics I see of the 24 look okay, others don't. I would have liked a different font as well but I'll consider that a minor quip in the grand scheme. I do at least prefer the horizontal style of the logo you see on the set pics. Hopefully they'll use that more.

As far as the newsroom background, I actually like it, but I would want to see how it comes across on-air to really be sure. I'm glad they do have the option to bring in duratrans though as an alternate.

When did Nexstar get purchased by Comcast? Seriously, this is impressive.

Add me to the list of people who think their GM is awesome, too. I just love how he went out and said "yeah, we can automate things or we can just, you know, hire people so our newscast doesn't look like crap." I WANT YOU IN MY MARKET PLEASE.

Honestly, that's pretty akin to when NBCU chairman Ted Harbert went out and told people "yeah, GE ran our local stations into the ground, they were terrible owners, here's what we're doing better".

Website logo could be better. The representation of the bridge is a nice touch (and for some reason, it reminds me of WHBQ's 1992 open), but that's not quite the right sans serif.

That said, this is a nice layout, especially compared to every other Nexstar station. If this is what they want to bring to the rest of the station group, please do.

Website logo could be better. The representation of the bridge is a nice touch (and for some reason, it reminds me of WHBQ's 1992 open), but that's not quite the right sans serif.

That said, this is a nice layout, especially compared to every other Nexstar station. If this is what they want to bring to the rest of the station group, please do.

Agreed. Could be better but I like the idea they have there with the bridge and the musical note (seems there will be much emphasis on community in their image campaign).

Of course keep in mind the TVNewsCheck article confirmed all Nexstar sites will be overhauled this summer so any web stuff may not stick.

Here's a pic with the duratran being used. Of note, the inclusion of Marcus "Doc" Holliday here. Could very well imply he might get the weekday sports gig permanently...

BLi9pQeCcAAs6Bl.jpg

This was from Cameron Harper. Love the caption "We're tired of the old @ABC24 cocktail table news set, so we're doing a little upgrade Saturday.New name, too."

TVNewsCheck article which has great details.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/67898/nexstar-readies-major-memphis-overhaul

Highlights...

- $5 million spent by Nexstar for this project

- Facility could be used as a hub down the road for other stations

- Automation dumped everywhere except for Sundance Master Control System. Almost all newscast operations will be human operated

- All Nexstar sites will receive a website facelift "this summer"

So no robotic cameras? We'll see how long this last before they bring Big Ross back in the fold.

Should they become the new hub, that'll probably mean more jobs for the folks in Memphis and a loss of jobs in Little Rock, where they currently hub the Arkansas stations there.

So here's what the "24" font on the new logo resemble....

Local24logo.pngNews_8_wtnh.png

Yep I wasn't a fan of the WTNH logo change back in 2010. But Nexstar is trying to show the nation, let alone the Mid-South folks that they're not a joke, and that they mean business. But I'm happy its not like one of those typical big font logo from the Nexstar pre-2011 acquired stations like the new Rockford stations for example.

WTVO_2013_Logo.pngWQRF_2013_Logo.png

This has to be Nexstar's biggest station investment in their 17-year history. Y'all celebrating every cosmetic changes, lack of automation, new talent, brand new callsign, etc. But like I stated earlier on this thread, all of these major cosmetic changes mean absolutely nothing if they don't the content formula and the delivery style that will click with the viewers. They need to show that they not playing. Hell, they need to click with viewers who regularly watches that two-ton King Kong WMC Action News 5. If they can do that, then yes we can celebrate gracefully. But if they can't, then this would only be just a $5M flop.

With that said, I'm pulling for the station to keep Inergy as its news theme but they are always unexpected surprises so we'll just wait and see.

This has to be Nexstar's biggest station investment in their 17-year history. Y'all celebrating every cosmetic changes' date=' lack of automation, new talent, brand new callsign, etc. But like I stated earlier on this thread, all of these major cosmetic changes mean absolutely nothing if they don't the content formula and the delivery style that will click with the viewers. They need to show that they not playing. Hell, they need to click with viewers who regularly watches that two-ton King Kong WMC Action News 5. If they can do that, then yes we can celebrate gracefully. But if they can't, then this would only be just a $5M flop.

With that said, I'm pulling for the station to keep Inergy as its news theme but they are always unexpected surprises so we'll just wait and see.

The first part of this is absolutely true. They must have a product that people want to watch for its content over anything else, and if we're to believe the release it seems they are committed to that. There were specific mentions of covering stories and locations that haven't been before and watching some of their newscasts in the last few months, I think that's already happening. They've moved far away from the tabloid-ish and crime heavy focus they had during the Eyewitness News years and is still rampant on WREG and especially WMC. I think that's an approach viewers in this area desperately are wanting to get away from, and I think that's why WMC has lost so much ground in recent years.

Which brings me to the second part which is not true, in that WMC is "King Kong" in this market. It hasn't been for years. It's losing almost every period to WREG now and I speculated in this thread early on that once Birch, Brown and Greer are gone WMC is in a heap of trouble if they don't change directions themselves. If Nexstar and WATN are as committed as they sure are sounding, then I believe they have a real shot to compete.

As far as presentation, it usually an obsession point on this forum obviously but even average people I've talked to before always mention how "bland" and "high school" 24 has looked for years. That's a signal that this dramatic change in the look might be enough to draw viewership by itself. ALL of the reaction I've seen today online has been quite positive, with the only negative point among a few being the WPTY call sign change, and purely for nostalgia reasons.

There are certainly no guarantees, but my feeling is that for the first time in 18 years, 24 in Memphis could become the competitive fourth station it's always wanted to be.

There are certainly no guarantees, but my feeling is that for the first time in 18 years, 24 in Memphis could become the competitive fourth station it's always wanted to be.

And that's 35 years after the station first launched:

cmxeyv.jpg

Image courtesy of Shaun Fossett ([twitter]shaun_fossett[/twitter])

And that's 35 years after the station first launched:

cmxeyv.jpg

Image courtesy of Shaun Fossett ([twitter]shaun_fossett[/twitter])

Awesome.

Here's perhaps the best reaction I've seen on Twitter today and kind of sums it up:

"Good for @LocalMemphis on their new set! It only took them years to figure out standing in front of a poster board was unattractive."

Again, a viewpoint even the most average of viewers couldn't help but notice.

Couple of staff notes to add...

WDAM's Elizabeth Googe has announced she's leaving to join WATN. Unsure what position she'll fill but could be Joy Lambert's soon-to-be vacant reporter slot. Also, I had been told a week or so ago that former KATC sports anchor Andy Burrell was joining too, but really didn't see any indication of that. However, Andy's twitter feed now clearly shows he's moved to Memphis and he RT'd the WATN relaunch announcement, so that one may be true too.

Couple of staff notes to add...

WDAM's Elizabeth Googe has announced she's leaving to join WATN. Unsure what position she'll fill but could be Joy Lambert's soon-to-be vacant reporter slot. Also, I had been told a week or so ago that former KATC sports anchor Andy Burrell was joining too, but really didn't see any indication of that. However, Andy's twitter feed now clearly shows he's moved to Memphis and he RT'd the WATN relaunch announcement, so that one may be true too.

That was fast. Looks like everything (and everybody) is in place for re-launch now.

That was fast. Looks like everything (and everybody) is in place for re-launch now.

If we can assume the above and that Doc Holliday gets the weekday sports anchor position permanently, that will leave another reporter slot open to be filled. Otherwise though pretty much everything seems to be falling into place.

Looks like Local 24 has a new Facebook page to go with the rebrand as well.

https://www.facebook.com/LocalMemphis

In additon, there is also a press release talking about the new rebranding efforts:

http://www.localmemphis.com/content/newstation/story/All-New-WPTY-TV-to-Re-Launch-as-WATN-TV-LOCAL-24/7weEXa6blE2LAP-56uB9EA.cspx

In additon, there is also a press release talking about the new rebranding efforts:

http://www.localmemphis.com/content/newstation/story/All-New-WPTY-TV-to-Re-Launch-as-WATN-TV-LOCAL-24/7weEXa6blE2LAP-56uB9EA.cspx

I actually mentioned about their new Facebook page first.

So last page, LOL. No worries though - a lot happened today so some of it was probably easily missed.

One thing from the FB page - the cover photo with Cameron, Joyce and Paul, I just figured out that's the new duratran behind the interview/offshot area to the left of the anchor desk (though it appears the three of them were photoshopped into it for whatever reason).

947012_515266658536114_1060878128_n.jpg

This one from Joy Lambert looks like an authentic photo of them in front of it

945399_664841843542696_1056678225_n.jpg

Same Inergize-style website ruined with another crappy, unwielding, Nexstar-esque logo and name (at least they worked in LOCAL and part of the look...so I won't fault them for that)

Keeping an Inergize website was a plus....removing it from their station like virtually every other Nexstar site is a mistake. Would it kill them to at LEAST put the new logo on the site visible somewhere so someone could put 2 and 2 together?

Like most people, when I want to go to a station's web site, I want it to be simple...like WXXX.com ABCXX.com, LOCALXXNEWS.com etc....not some unwielding name that makes me think I've stumbled on a spam page.

I'm sure the first thing people think when they go to a website is Hmmm....let's go to CrappyLocalWebSite.com for all my LOCAL news, weather, sports and deals!

End rant.

So last page, LOL. No worries though - a lot happened today so some of it was probably easily missed.

One thing from the FB page - the cover photo with Cameron, Joyce and Paul, I just figured out that's the new duratran behind the interview/offshot area to the left of the anchor desk (though it appears the three of them were photoshopped into it for whatever reason).

947012_515266658536114_1060878128_n.jpg

This one from Joy Lambert looks like an authentic photo of them in front of it

945399_664841843542696_1056678225_n.jpg

Thanks. That's what I get for not checking the previous threads before making my contribution.

But seriously, can Nexstar buy KDNL or WGNO next? If they can do what they did with WATN in either of those markets, they can make it even more competitive than they already are.

Gotta admit, that I'm jealous of Memphis at the moment.

Same Inergize-style website ruined with another crappy, unwielding, Nexstar-esque logo and name (at least they worked in LOCAL and part of the look...so I won't fault them for that)

Keeping an Inergize website was a plus....removing it from their station like virtually every other Nexstar site is a mistake. Would it kill them to at LEAST put the new logo on the site visible somewhere so someone could put 2 and 2 together?

Like most people, when I want to go to a station's web site, I want it to be simple...like WXXX.com ABCXX.com, LOCALXXNEWS.com etc....not some unwielding name that makes me think I've stumbled on a spam page.

I'm sure the first thing people think when they go to a website is Hmmm....let's go to CrappyLocalWebSite.com for all my LOCAL news, weather, sports and deals!

End rant.

That's Nexstar for ya!

I'm not sure what their thought process was when they decided to have wordy website names for their TV stations.

Archived