WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

The only big question now is ... when are they going to start running promos about all of the changes coming (rather than just talking about it on the newscasts)? June 1st is less than two weeks away, and fertile time to start talking about the new Local24 to get people ready to watch now that we're at the end of the May Sweeps period as of tomorrow.

I've been waiting for that. Would have thought we'd see something Sunday, it was the best opportunity they'll get before June 1, but nope. Maybe next week? Though with it being Memorial Day week, your viewership numbers even non-news are going to be way down. As we've discussed they've been careful to really show/tell much, especially on-air.

BTW, still haven't heard anything more about 24's new chief met as was first teased Saturday. Still wondering if it could be Ed Echols but yet again he was on this morning during Good Morning Memphis. Can't envision the scenario where's he's working at 13 and essentially 24 simultaneously (even if just behind the scenes) but stranger things have happened. I do think we'll know whoever on that before this week is out.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I may have found out what web domain name Nexstar has chosen for the Twin Stations and WJKT once everything settles on June 1st. Can you say ....... MidSouthLocal.com?

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=midsouthlocal.com

Apparently, Nexstar registered the new domain as of early last month. Unfortunately, it currently links to a GoDaddy.com placeholder page at the moment.

Well, here's the answer to that question. Joyce Peterson just posted this to Twitter:

Also, for those who may guess David Tillman, Joyce disproves that in the reply section.

Another interesting Tweet from Joyce today, in a conversation about the anchoring of Sunday's news, WREG's George Brown asked:

Joyce replies with:

Seems like if they were sticking with the June 1st launch date, she would just outright say that they were still at Poplar. What she says really makes me think if they will really relaunch tomorrow...I'll be watching for sure.

No way it's David Tillman. The person in that photo is *much* *much* thinner than Tillman as he appears on KTRK- Houston.

I think I may have found out what web domain name Nexstar has chosen for the Twin Stations and WJKT once everything settles on June 1st. Can you say ....... MidSouthLocal.com?

Apparently, Nexstar registered the new domain as of early last month. Unfortunately, it currently links to a GoDaddy.com placeholder page at the moment.

We can only hope post-relaunch it's still an Inergize-style site and NOT one of Nexstar's horrible sites!

In other WPTY-related news....the old ABC 24 logo is back for their Android app.....for now....

We can only hope post-relaunch it's still an Inergize-style site and NOT one of Nexstar's horrible sites! In other WPTY-related news....the old ABC 24 logo is back for their Android app.....for now....

And already most of the Nexstar stations moved from LSN Inc apps to the Inergize apps as well

We can only hope post-relaunch it's still an Inergize-style site and NOT one of Nexstar's horrible sites!

In other WPTY-related news....the old ABC 24 logo is back for their Android app.....for now....

I don't think we have to worry about that one since Nexstar acquired Inergize Digital Media in the deal that got them several Newport stations in the process.

It will be Inergize - Nexstar aquired them when Newport sold. I assume the other old Nexstar sites will convert to them in the coming months.

Edit - Looks like we all jumped in at once on that one, lol.

CONFIRMED: 24's new Chief Meteorologist is WLBT's Paul Williams.

FB post from Paul which confirms the news...

https://www.facebook.com/paulwlbt/posts/503926693005978

Paul is pretty well known in the Jackson market for very in-depth meteorological knowledge and community outreach. Sounds like a great replacement for the late Mark Walden.

WOW that is a shocker. I have a friend in Jackson and visit there often and have always enjoyed watching him. I do think he will be a good fit with the rest of the team here, but I just can't see him "leaving" WLBT and Jackson like that. It seemed like he really liked it. Wonder if something happened, or the pay is just better at WPTY?

WOW that is a shocker. I have a friend in Jackson and visit there often and have always enjoyed watching him. I do think he will be a good fit with the rest of the team here, but I just can't see him "leaving" WLBT and Jackson like that. It seemed like he really liked it. Wonder if something happened, or the pay is just better at WPTY?

I think clearly the opportunity/pay was better, but Paul was good friends with Mark Walden, so he may have felt some connection there as well in taking the job.

I honestly was expecting it to be Ed Echols, seems like that's what it was lining up for, so this is a pleasant surprise. Never doubt the non-compete issue. :-)

Just to round it out, WTXL's Sean Parker (not the Napster guy) will be the weekend meteorologist.

Now 24 just needs to rebuild its sports department - both Corey Maclin and Kathy Morris were booted within the last month.

About the potential new website, once the rebrand gets implemented. Since Nexstar has Clear Channel's Inergize (yes I said CC), they should go ahead try out a brand new design (completely different from the current Newport design webpages) for Channel 24. And if that website has a promise and it has driven new revenues within weeks after implementation, then that layout should be the implemented across all the Nexstar station's webpages in the weeks and months to come.

More proof, as if we needed it. I also found this when I searched "WATN-TV". Apparently on May 14, some stories on the station's mobile site went out with that new website title that was our first inclination of a change...

VLnKFDj.png

Nexstar, I am so glad you have taken my advice. This is probably the best thing that has happened to this station since ABC.

One tidbit that Joyce Peterson tweeted out today - the new station will ditch all the automation that Newport went to almost immediately, so they have a lot of new staff there where positions hadn't been needed for several years. I'm assuming that's a Nexstar standard but I'm not sure. That will leave WREG as the only automated shop in town, though of course WHBQ does have more and more things running through Fox's hub.

Final things starting to come together. The new 17-story tower was completed today. It was the permit request for this that got noticed by the Commercial Appeal in April setting off the speculation that this move was on the way.

Today was day 10 of rehearsals in the new building. As long as no major technical mishaps arise - so far things seem smooth - I assume things are still looking to be a go one week from today, June 1.

BLI0eVFCQAAHSAf.jpg

Just to round it out, WTXL's Sean Parker (not the Napster guy) will be the weekend meteorologist.

Now 24 just needs to rebuild its sports department - both Corey Maclin and Kathy Morris were booted within the last month.

Marcus "Doc" Holliday is actually doing a good job in the interim as the station's sports anchor from what I've witnessed in the past few days, especially considering the fact that he was once a football player before later going into journalism full time. At the very least, it's a move in the right direction for the Twin Stations until they have some permanent sports anchors and a director in place.

Marcus "Doc" Holliday is actually doing a good job in the interim as the station's sports anchor from what I've witnessed in the past few days, especially considering the fact that he was once a football player before later going into journalism full time. At the very least, it's a move in the right direction for the Twin Stations until they have some permanent sports anchors and a director in place.

I've been thinking the same thing actually. It wouldn't be a bad idea to move him into one of the positions permanently if they'd like to. As you said, moving in the right direction at least from what was an interesting experiment though ultimately a disaster with Maclin.

Weird thing is, they *do* have a sports director there, but he's not an anchor/reporter. His name is Jamie Griffin - he tweets pretty regularly. I think he has appeared on the air a few times. Certainly very unusual compared to how it usually works. It seems for now he's at least sticking around.

Here's his twitter link

https://twitter.com/GRIFFabc24

On Cameron Harper's FB page, his cover photo is now a graphic that reads "3 days left". Can only mean the June 1 relaunch date remains. However, I still have yet to see any official on-air or online advertisement of it, and sure seeming like we're not going to see one before the switch. Only real information lately has been via these hints off 24's staff social media accounts.

My best guess now is they'll just do a clean debut Saturday (at 6 or 10?) and just fully launch any image campaign after that. I imagine we'll get some hints to watch at XX time from people like Cameron and Joyce.

I do wonder if they'll be cleared to switch to the WATN call sign by the 1st, since it was just requested a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how fast the FCC is on that.

OFFICIAL:

Story.jpg

proxy.jpg?t=HBgtaHR0cDovL3N0YXRpYy5vdy5seS9waG90b3Mvb3JpZ2luYWwvMmVQb2QuanBnFJADFKwCABYAEgA&s=qgeQ--1MkqkxdQ00M9fX-j9J48oGDXamr02zNDYlavU

MEMPHIS, Tennessee and IRVING, Texas (May 30, 2013) -- Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: NXST) announced today that WPTY-TV serving the Memphis, TN DMA 49, will re-launch as WATN-TV LOCAL 24, on June 1, 2013 in concert with the grand opening of Nexstar’s new state of the art broadcast and digital operations center and high definition news facility. Concurrent with the station re-launch, WATN LOCAL 24 will debut a new community web portal, www.localmemphis.com and entirely new, innovative local news programming in full HD that features a lineup of trusted and respected journalists who bring decades of experience covering news in the Mid-South region.

Commenting on the station re-launch and HD news expansion, Nexstar Broadcasting’s Vice President and General Manager for its Memphis and Jackson operations, Ardyth Diercks said, “This is a very exciting time for Nexstar and our Mid-South station operations, as launching WATN LOCAL 24 reflects our deep commitment to serve our local community and advertising partners, while delivering the most relevant, compelling and informative local news that touches the daily lives of our viewers. We are re-dedicating ourselves to the local Memphis / Jackson community with the debut of our new technologically advanced operations center and innovative local news programming that will feature an updated, modern look, including new sets, high definition studio cameras, enhanced meteorological forecasting technology and advanced weather and traffic presentation equipment.

“Conversations with viewers and advertisers continually revealed a need for quality local content in the Mid-South and we expect to squarely address this preference with the launch of LOCAL 24, which will be dedicated to providing viewers with all of the local news programming and community event coverage they demanded. The WATN LOCAL 24 and WLMT CW 30 news operation will be more robust in journalistic talent and manpower, and we will bring the community more stories from more locations than ever before.”

Ms. Diercks added, “Over the past six months we have made significant multi-million dollar investments to open our new broadcasting and news facility that features entirely new advanced broadcasting technology for High Definition (HD) production of all on-air programming and a dynamic news studio outfitted with the latest news production resources and technologies, all in a new location in Northeast Memphis. LOCAL 24 is an ideal collaboration of all of the Nexstar stations’ capabilities throughout the state of Tennessee and underscores our promise to address the evolving dynamics of local viewer interests, while delivering a results-driven platform for advertisers. The production and airing of LOCAL 24 is another example of how deeply committed our stations are to the people of the Mid-South and is something both viewers and advertisers can get behind. It is a privilege to serve the people of Memphis / Jackson and tell the stories that define our communities.”

LOCAL 24 News Morning and Midday

Beginning June 1, LOCAL 24 will offer 43 hours a week of innovative, locally produced, news programming across 3 stations (WATN, WLMT, WJKT) with a specialized focus on relevant and exciting local content from a team of prominent and respected news anchors and journalists. Veteran anchor Rodney Dunigan will be joined by newly appointed Joy Lambert to headline LOCAL 24 News Good Day and Midday. A former reporter at ABC24 with exceptional broadcast journalism experience, Joy is known for her in-depth personal reporting and high profile interviews. With the advantage of LOCAL 24’s advanced meteorological forecasting technology, veteran Meteorologist and certified storm spotter Lauren Raymer will provide the market’s most accurate morning weather forecast. To round out the team, no one is better at keeping Mid-South morning commuters informed with up-to-the-minute local traffic reports and solutions to your drive than LOCAL 24’s traffic reporter Ron Taylor.

The morning schedule and anchor line-up include:

LOCAL 24 News Good Day from 5 a.m. - 7 a.m. (WATN LOCAL 24)

-Anchors Rodney Dunigan/Joy Lambert, meteorologist Lauren Raymer, traffic reporter Ron Taylor

CW 30 News from 7 a.m. - 8 a.m. (WLMT CW 30)

−Anchors Rodney Dunigan/Joy Lambert, meteorologist Lauren Raymer, traffic reporter Ron Taylor

LOCAL 24 News Midday at 11 a.m. (WATN LOCAL 24)

−Anchors Rodney Dunigan/Joy Lambert, meteorologist Lauren Raymer

LOCAL 24 News Afternoon and Evening

LOCAL 24 News will bring viewers local breaking, investigative and feature news throughout the day with reporting from distinguished, award-winning Anchors Joyce Peterson and Cameron Harper. The LOCAL 24 news team welcomes Chief Meteorologist, Paul Williams who will keep Mid-South viewers up-to-date on the latest weather forecasts and severe storm alerts.

The afternoon schedule and anchor line-up include:

LOCAL 24 News at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. (WATN LOCAL 24)

−Anchors Joyce Peterson/Cameron Harper, Chief Meteorologist Paul Williams

CW 30 News at 9 p.m. (WLMT CW 30)

FOX 16 News at 9 p.m. (WJKT Fox 16)

LOCAL 24 News at 10 p.m. (WATN LOCAL 24)

“LOCAL 24 News will provide viewers with the high-quality news they need and demand when and where they want it through our united on-air content, web and mobile platforms, localmemphis.com and our social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. We are offering Memphis viewers, as well as web and mobile users the most choices to access in-depth and informative local news throughout the day and evening,” concluded Ms. Diercks.

LOCAL 24 News Weekend

The LOCAL 24 News launch will include a line-up of weekend newscasts that deliver the most relevant local content and information to Memphis viewers in full HD. LOCAL 24 welcomes Meteorologist Sean Parker to the weekend team.

The weekend schedule and anchor line-up includes:

LOCAL 24 News at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. (WATN LOCAL 24)

−Anchor Jeff Beimfohr, meteorologist Sean Parker

CW 30 News at 9 p.m. (WLMT CW 30)

Fox 16 News at 9 p.m. (WJKT Fox 16)

LOCAL 24 News at 10 p.m. (WATN LOCAL 24)

For further information, programming and the latest developments on the build out of the new facility and the launch of the all new WATN and LOCAL 24, log onto localmemphis.com. Viewers are encouraged to provide their feedback online, via facebook.com/localmemphis and on twitter @localmemphis.

BLhXjK9CcAAE9mO.jpg

BLheIvnCIAMZXZA.jpg

Pics via @localmemphis, Cameron Harper, and Joyce Peterson.

FYI: The www.localmemphis.com domain already works (wonder what happened to midsouthlocal.com?) and their twitter handle has also already been changed to @localmemphis using the new logo.

Apologies for all the info...trying to avoid double posting as stuff gets released. Some additional shots from Rodney Dunigan...

http://instagram.com/p/Z8IXqiBuIE/

http://instagram.com/p/Z8OIRhBuBU/ (Weather Center view)

Here's a shot from the newsroom into the studio.

BLhgbxcCYAAxHJX.jpg

TVNewsCheck article which has great details.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/67898/nexstar-readies-major-memphis-overhaul

Highlights...

- $5 million spent by Nexstar for this project

- All of the old MCI call center was gutted except the tech core

- Facility could be used as a hub down the road for other stations

- JVC cameras - GY-HM650/700 for field and GY-HD250 studio

- Field video will remain 16:9 SD (not a huge issue for me, already looks decent now and should be even better)

- TVU celluar systems as a backhaul to ENG and microwave. Also connected to KARK which will allow live shots from LR "several times a week"

- Automation dumped everywhere except for Sundance Master Control System. Almost all newscast operations will be human operated

- 5 PM (6p?) news will use the newsroom background. 10 PM will have a Memphis duratran skyline. Morning show may also use a separate daytime duratran.

- Offshoot area can be used for the morning show, interviews, group performances, etc. Most of this is similar to how KLRT used the set.

- Weather system is WSI/Weather Central's Fusion. 3D and Social media integration involved

- Beat the Traffic solution for traffic reports, similar to KGPE/KSEE

- All Nexstar sites will receive a website facelift "this summer"

Newly-named morning co-anchor [twitter]JoyLambert[/twitter] has posted another angle of the studio showing a stand-up area and part of the new weather center: https://twitter.com/JoyLambert/status/340142730615349248/photo/1

Boy that looks really nice. Rodney Dunigan has a another nice shot here...

http://instagram.com/p/Z8WTSNhuNg/

I dare say these pics show the set being used much better that KLRT ever did...

Archived