WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

Watching CW30 at Nine, I got so sick and tired of hearing that same stupid transition sound effect (local viewers know what I mean, I don't know how else to explain it), I rewound to the beginning of the newscast and counted up how many times that same sound effect played. 9 times before the first commercial break (9:14) That's something I will not miss!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be a little higher contrast...the 24's gray areas get lost in that red in this particular application of the logo.

That said...I think this might be the most exciting development in mid-market TV news this decade.

Yeah, and the ABC looks a bit too small as well. I would not be surprised if that was a working or alternate version of the logo based upon what we glimpsed in that photo from the set. Nevertheless good catch and that confirms what had been all but that on the "Local 24" branding.

BTW, with Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals airing on ABC Sunday, Joyce Peterson mentioned tonight they'll all be in Sunday anchoring news. Not sure given the secrecy they seem to be wanting to keep, but would not be totally shocked if we see a promo or tease or two either during the game or on the newscasts. May be something to watch for.

Well obviously they don't want it to be too secret, with all of the stuff they have been accidentally/purposefully revealing haha

In the world of the internet & social media, sometimes things slip out. Take a look at Rodney's twitter feed, that post with the photo of the set from yesterday, now mysteriously gone. The actual instagram link is still active though if you have it. I'm sure that was something they didn't want going out at all.

I suppose they could really shock us Sunday and actually do the relaunch then, but I wouldn't expect it. That photo indicated they have a bit of work left to finish up in the newsroom area and I'm sure they need more rehearsal time to work out kinks and set up shots, etc.

Last time I saw the morning #s (last November book I believe), the WPTY and WLMT 7a numbers were just abysmal - it made their evening numbers look competitive. Would not be surprised if that becomes an area of focus for them and I think the Joy Lambert pairing is a good move.

Actually makes sense because this photo posted a few weeks ago by Cameron Harper includes Joy and this was for a promo shoot, certainly for their relaunch. Interesting to see their investigative reporter Jeni DiPrizio included as well. I think the only ? is what role Lauren Raymer has next month - will she be bumped up to the chief spot or remain at mornings. I do know they've hired one meteorologist already to fill one of the two openings (they've had a weekend opening that goes back to well before Mark Walden's death).

Well, here's the answer to that question. Joyce Peterson just posted this to Twitter:

Say hello to @abc24's new Chief Meteorologist! More will be revealed about him in the days to come! #CanYouGuess?

BKkWlVlCUAAHrq7.jpg

Also, for those who may guess David Tillman, Joyce disproves that in the reply section.

Another interesting Tweet from Joyce today, in a conversation about the anchoring of Sunday's news, WREG's George Brown asked:

@NewsCam @Bailey_Melton @MemphoNewsLady Would these shows be originating from poplar or sycamore...

Joyce replies with:

G...we are sworn to secrecy! :)- RT @georgebrownmem: @NewsCam @Bailey_Melton Would these shows be originating from poplar or sycamore...

Seems like if they were sticking with the June 1st launch date, she would just outright say that they were still at Poplar. What she says really makes me think if they will really relaunch tomorrow...I'll be watching for sure.

Yep, that answers that. David Tillman is going to be a popular guess, and as much as I would love for him to be back in the Memphis market, I'm quite sure that's not David Tillman. Can't tell who that would be other than it's NOT the one meteorologist I mentioned yesterday, so we know that person is going to be on the weekends. Was thinking they would try to bring in somebody with some name recognition in the market but unless it were Tillman I'm not sure that will be the case.

As far as that conversation with George Brown, I think she's just teasing him. Still not expecting anything big tomorrow, but we shall see.

In the hours since some additional speculation on 24's new chief met has led to another name which I didn't think of: Ed Echols from Fox 13. Certainly could fit the picture though I'll admit this is a surprising and interesting choice if it ends up being so (I more consider Ed valuable as a morning show personality versus his meteorology). Plus, Ed was just on 13 yesterday anchoring their morning BBQ fest coverage, and you'd think he'd have a non-compete. All remains speculation, but this would fit right into my theory in trying to get somebody with name recognition.

I have an Andriod Device and it had an update for WPTY. Check out the cool new logo.... Looks like all 5,000-10,000 people who downloaded it has a sneak preview of their new look....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newssynergy.wpty&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5uZXdzc3luZXJneS53cHR5Il0.

ew. the logo's not bad, but i would've preferred it if they had kept the same font that the now old "24" was in.

Joyce Tweeted this picture saying, "The @abc24 boss wants @newscam & me 2 work 2day. This is appropriate anchor attire right? Go Grizz!!! #BelieveMemphis". It's obvious she is in the new studio, miked up and appearing ready to go. They could have either been shooting a promo - or they could be making the switch today. Of course this is all just speculation. All will be told at 5.

BKpYavdCEAAMDpZ.jpg

Well it looks like our speculation was incorrect, same old graphics and set at 5 PM.

EDIT: They did however promote the new set by running pretty much the same promo they did when they first announced it. Joyce said it was 13 days away, so I guess it is still June 1st.

What do you mean same old graphics and set, Specficly??

There was some speculation they may go ahead and relaunch early because of the increased audience ABC had following the Grizzlies game, but as I thought would be the case - they did not. They're obviously still in the rehearsal stage, it's just too early. May have been a good thing, not sure there were many viewers left by 5:00 given the way the Grizzlies played today.

Regarding the callsign WATN, Nexstar reserved WATN-TV on May 17.

...and there's the confirmation on that. Would really like to know and perhaps we'll eventually learn what if anything WATN stands for. "We are Tennessee" or something else?

From the FCC Call Sign Query page as indicated by effseesee...

A request for WATN-TV dated 05/17/2013 has been filed

by NEXSTAR BROADCASTING, INC

The only big question now is ... when are they going to start running promos about all of the changes coming (rather than just talking about it on the newscasts)? June 1st is less than two weeks away, and fertile time to start talking about the new Local24 to get people ready to watch now that we're at the end of the May Sweeps period as of tomorrow.

Being honest, the first thing that came to mind when I saw those calls was AcTioN. As in "Action News". Now, the TN part makes sense considering the state, but they haven't teased that branding, right?

Being honest, the first thing that came to mind when I saw those calls was AcTioN. As in "Action News".

Until you realize that WMC already uses that branding (and has been for as long as anyone can remember).

Archived