WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe it's simply "We Are Tennessee".

That's a possibility and certainly the most realistic guess I could give. Still not sure I like the singling out of TN but it is what it is, and needless to say 99% of people won't know or care regardless.

One lingering question - what if any changes are happening to WLMT or even WJKT? The call letters there will maintain some relevancy, but will 30 get a customized version of the new Local 24 logo? WBBJ flipped out when they tried to apply the revamped ABC 24 branding on CW 30 in 2011, because the WJKT simulcasts then had ABC all over them.

I'm going to Tweet them a question asking about it and see what they say. Also, here's a picture for those who haven't/can't see it.

...and now all of a sudden I'm back to WPTY TV - abc24 News on my mobile browser.

I'll call that a confirmation...

One lingering question - what if any changes are happening to WLMT or even WJKT? The call letters there will maintain some relevancy, but will 30 get a customized version of the new Local 24 logo? WBBJ flipped out when they tried to apply the revamped ABC 24 branding on CW 30 in 2011, because the WJKT simulcasts then had ABC all over them.

In the case of WLMT & WJKT, it would probably make sense for Nexstar to brand the two stations under one joint news brand separate from Local 24 (i.e., The News @ 9, Local @ 9, or something like that) with a focus on both the Memphis and Jackson, TN markets in mind.

In the case of WLMT & WJKT, it would probably make sense for Nexstar to brand the two stations under one joint news brand separate from Local 24 (i.e., The News @ 9, Local @ 9, or something like that) with a focus on both the Memphis and Jackson, TN markets in mind.

That's what I've been hoping for - take advantage of the expanded presence in that hour.

BTW a piece of info from during the outage - Rodney Dunigan let it slip that Joy Lambert was soon to be his "TV Wife", which I'm sure means she's been selected as the morning show co-anchor when they relaunch.

Kind of shocked with the possible change to WATN-TV from WPTY-TV. Thinking about it 24 is sorta pulling a WIATCBS 42 type of deal... the only difference is they canned everyone at 42 and dropped all newscast for a bout a few months. And they had a countdown clock during the former news times until they started their new newscast.... WPTY was not in that dyer of straights I thought.... WIAT was WBMG which stood for W Birmingham. They switched to WIAT which stood for W Its About Time... (Insert joke here about that slogan). Honstly it worked for WIAT, they are a spirited 3 place station due to the fact that WVTM NBC 13 is a low budged bad NBC programming mess right now. I think that it will work for WPTY/WATN what ever it will be. I am still excited to see it happen and wish them the best.

Kind of shocked with the possible change to WATN-TV from WPTY-TV. Thinking about it 24 is sorta pulling a WIATCBS 42 type of deal... the only difference is they canned everyone at 42 and dropped all newscast for a bout a few months. And they had a countdown clock during the former news times until they started their new newscast.... WPTY was not in that dyer of straights I thought.... WIAT was WBMG which stood for W Birmingham. They switched to WIAT which stood for W Its About Time... (Insert joke here about that slogan). Honstly it worked for WIAT, they are a spirited 3 place station due to the fact that WVTM NBC 13 is a low budged bad NBC programming mess right now. I think that it will work for WPTY/WATN what ever it will be. I am still excited to see it happen and wish them the best.

Certainly things aren't particularly bright for WPTY, but they haven't been given the proper chance in the last 5 years. I don't think you could get away with pulling the full WIAT these days with shutting down newscasts for weeks and even months at a time though, they'd risk losing what viewers they do have in the interim, and Nexstar wisely understood that the on-air talent isn't necessarily their problem right now either.

There are far from any guarantees, but as we've discussed WPTY has a perfect opening brewing for them to make a statement and try to change their luck. If they can market this well enough, I think they'll steal some viewers away from the other stations. On top of that, with the Grizzlies looking like they may have an actual shot to make the NBA finals, ABC 24 could potentially be set up to have it's biggest audience ever for late news, at exactly the right moment (which I think is exactly what they've been planning/hoping for).

Now will it be as WPTY or WATN? I remain pretty convinced the little slip up that was quickly corrected almost immediately after the mention from trevorbirchett was basically a confirmation of that news. After all it changed the Local24 portion too which we pretty much know is happening. Seems too coincidental otherwise. Kudos to NewsMaster for spotting that.

Maybe it's simply "We Are Tennessee".

I just realized the call letters could potentially stand for We're ABC (for) Tennessee (plus Arkansas and Mississippi). Think WAWV (ABC Wabash Valley), though there's really no real name for the Memphis region (Mid-South could be used, but it is too broad of a name that could apply to other areas of the South).

That's a good possibility too. I assume if indeed the call letter change is happening, we'll find that out officially before June 1. What a bizarre way to find out if that ends up being the case though.

Joyce Peterson noted earlier that they are up early today beginning rehearsals in the new building. Little more than two weeks away from the relaunch - if they hold to the June 1 date (which would be a Saturday of all days).

UPDATE...Joyce just tweeted this picture which confirms the newsroom as anchor desk backdrop

BKZiXSrCAAIkL1E.jpg

That's a good possibility too. I assume if indeed the call letter change is happening, we'll find that out officially before June 1. What a bizarre way to find out if that ends up being the case though.

Joyce Peterson noted earlier that they are up early today beginning rehearsals in the new building. Little more than two weeks away from the relaunch - if they hold to the June 1 date (which would be a Saturday of all days).

Almost typically, stations would implement cosmetic changes on a Saturday. They do that so they can test all the equipment and on-screen graphics and whatnot, in case they have to do some tweaks before the Monday broadcast. I wonder if they will keep Stephen Arnold's Inergy, however.

I checked the latest callsign change listing and I didn't see WPTY on the list. Not that doesn't mean that they won't change their callsign. They probably didn't apply to change the callsign yet. If they do apply to change its call sign, then another listing like one on the link, will be posted in June.

But I don't think we need to celebrate just yet. Even after these changes get implemented next month, the content formula has to be the major factor. They have to show that they are no longer the stepchild of the days of the former ownership. They need to show the Mid-South viewers that they are no joke. If they have that, and that alone get the ratings boost, then we can celebrate in the street. But this shows that Nexstar is not playing. A company that lagged far behind several years ago with implementing HD news to the existing stations, now investing into the stations they'd acquire and for the stations they already have. I hope they can continue with the heavy lifting in the ComCorp markets & Fresno.

I was searching for the callsign change listing last night and couldn't find it. Thanks. Yeah, WPTY not being there doesn't mean it won't happen, but increases the uncertainty some. Obviously something will have to pop up from the FCC eventually if they intend to do that.

I can't imagine them dumping Inergy when they just started using it a few months ago, although it's been very sparingly used so far. My guess has been we'll see a real ramp up of its use with the new graphics. It's a Nexstar station so we know Stephen Arnold will be involved somehow.

Yes, I believe that was conformation of a possible call sign change. Joyce replied to me and said the "station techies" were working on it, and then it was reverted. I was also thinking it could be We Are TV News. I also like that little preview that Joyce gave of the studio.

Joyce has been tweeting a bit tonight about 24's new promotional campaign after getting their first look/sound of it tonight. She's calling it the most "aggressive and creative" campaign she has seen, and will have an uplifting feel to it. Inergy and/or SA involved? Who knows, but that's exactly the idea I was hoping they would go for, so very good to hear.

"Almost typically, stations would implement cosmetic changes on a Saturday. They do that so they can test all the equipment and on-screen graphics and whatnot, in case they have to do some tweaks before the Monday broadcast. I wonder if they will keep Stephen Arnold's Inergy, however.

I checked the latest callsign change listing and I didn't see WPTY on the list. Not that doesn't mean that they won't change their callsign. They probably didn't apply to change the callsign yet. If they do apply to change its call sign, then another listing like one on the link, will be posted in June."

"But I don't think we need to celebrate just yet. Even after these changes get implemented next month, the content formula has to be the major factor. They have to show that they are no longer the stepchild of the days of the former ownership. They need to show the Mid-South viewers that they are no joke. If they have that, and that alone get the ratings boost, then we can celebrate in the street. But this shows that Nexstar is not playing. A company that lagged far behind several years ago with implementing HD news to the existing stations, now investing into the stations they'd acquire and for the stations they already have. I hope they can continue with the heavy lifting in the ComCorp markets & Fresno."

**applauding Nexstar for Taking Accountability for upgrading its stations news programming and syndicated content to HD format on their Television Stations that they own and/or operate and pulling excessive amounts of energy to work on things. Way To GO Nexstar and Perry Sook!

"Almost typically, stations would implement cosmetic changes on a Saturday. They do that so they can test all the equipment and on-screen graphics and whatnot, in case they have to do some tweaks before the Monday broadcast. I wonder if they will keep Stephen Arnold's Inergy, however.

I checked the latest callsign change listing and I didn't see WPTY on the list. Not that doesn't mean that they won't change their callsign. They probably didn't apply to change the callsign yet. If they do apply to change its call sign, then another listing like one on the link, will be posted in June."

"But I don't think we need to celebrate just yet. Even after these changes get implemented next month, the content formula has to be the major factor. They have to show that they are no longer the stepchild of the days of the former ownership. They need to show the Mid-South viewers that they are no joke. If they have that, and that alone get the ratings boost, then we can celebrate in the street. But this shows that Nexstar is not playing. A company that lagged far behind several years ago with implementing HD news to the existing stations, now investing into the stations they'd acquire and for the stations they already have. I hope they can continue with the heavy lifting in the ComCorp markets & Fresno."

**applauding Nexstar for Taking Accountability for upgrading its stations news programming and syndicated content to HD format on their Television Stations that they own and/or operate and pulling excessive amounts of energy to work on things. Way To GO Nexstar and Perry Sook!

If only Sinclair was like that…

I was the first person to suggest a call sign change for WPTY, and it looks like they are taking that advice:

I wonder how far they're willing to go. A real sign of commitment would be to change WPTY's calls and go without news in the process — pull a WIAT, basically. (April 12)

You might not have known this, but WIAT actually operated part of its news department while it had no news. On January 29, 1998, one full week before their relaunch, Eric Rudolph bombed a Birmingham abortion clinic; WIAT, even without a newscast, was sending footage out to CBS, CNN and neighboring stations.

In the meantime, it's actually much wiser for WPTY to continue news, particularly because of the Grizzlies.

P.S. The calls would be WATN-TV. There's an AM station WATN in Watertown, New York.

If only Sinclair was like that…

If only Sinclair was like that....as in investing in their stations that they own and or operate that have news departments and uprgrading those newscasts and Syndicated programming in HD? I would think so.

Rodney Dunigan just posted this instagram photo with the anchor shot, much closer to complete in the newsroom area versus the one Joyce previewed yesterday.

http://instagram.com/p/ZbNDv3huAv/

It also confirms the new anchor pairing (Rodney Dunigan & Joy Lambert) for the mornings and possibly the midday news.

Only time will tell if they can steal some audience away from the other three stations in the morning hours, and maybe start a 4:30am newscast down the road.

It also confirms the new anchor pairing (Rodney Dunigan & Joy Lambert) for the mornings and possibly the midday news.

Only time will tell if they can steal some audience away from the other three stations in the morning hours, and maybe start a 4:30am newscast down the road.

Last time I saw the morning #s (last November book I believe), the WPTY and WLMT 7a numbers were just abysmal - it made their evening numbers look competitive. Would not be surprised if that becomes an area of focus for them and I think the Joy Lambert pairing is a good move.

Actually makes sense because this photo posted a few weeks ago by Cameron Harper includes Joy and this was for a promo shoot, certainly for their relaunch. Interesting to see their investigative reporter Jeni DiPrizio included as well. I think the only ? is what role Lauren Raymer has next month - will she be bumped up to the chief spot or remain at mornings. I do know they've hired one meteorologist already to fill one of the two openings (they've had a weekend opening that goes back to well before Mark Walden's death).

BIaG_LDCUAAIKm9.jpg

Rodney Dunigan just posted this picture on Instagram and this confirms that Rodney and Joy will be together. Also gives a great view of the new set. I'm liking it a lot.

53d075e8bf2a11e2b6e522000a1fd512_7.jpg

No worries. I'd agree with you though the newsroom area is looking nice so far and I think will work well. Can't wait to see it on the air. I know this, it will be at least 1000% better than what they have now.

Archived