WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

memnews1

Interesting. I'll be watching at 10 for sure.

Anyway, since a logo change is likely (hopefully), I was thinking about what I would like to see them use. I think something like this would fit their new graphics, based on what little we have seen of them. Changing the orange to a light or dark blue, of course.

sports-local-stopimg.jpg

YUCK to that photo, they are not owned by Sinclair, Come on! I think they need to stick with bright intelligent colors that draws the Television Viewer to the news rather than yellow and blue.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, definitely right. Those graphics WPTY briefly featured are a dead-on match to WKRC's look. Think we may have that one figured out.

I had actually been floating around the idea of them rebranding to "Local 24" since a few Nexstar stations have gone with that and it would be a fresh branding for the Memphis market. Might increases those chances.

Comparison on the main graphic slide you see in WPTY's report...

WKRC

33442g2.png

WPTY

igwogmqtmcouolbwghbn.jpg

Reading the Press Release I see the word "Local" written a few times... "supporting the evolving needs and interests of our local viewing communities, hometown businesses, and public organizations." G.M. Ardyth Diercks said.

I would love for 24 to become The LOCAL Station. LOCAL 24. It would be smart branding. Look at WKRC they went to the Local branding and have been #1 in Cincy. People will take note of this in the Mid-South. Heres to crossing my fingers that they do become Local 24. :)

YUCK to that photo, they are not owned by Sinclair, Come on! I think they need to stick with bright intelligent colors that draws the Television Viewer to the news rather than yellow and blue.

No, I mean just the logo, not the background.

No, I mean just the logo, not the background.

I understand the logo and what have you, but its the graphics that Sinclair uses for WKEF-TV, that background looks yucky.

Wow, definitely right. Those graphics WPTY briefly featured are a dead-on match to WKRC's look. Think we may have that one figured out.

I had actually been floating around the idea of them rebranding to "Local 24" since a few Nexstar stations have gone with that and it would be a fresh branding for the Memphis market. Might increases those chances.

Comparison on the main graphic slide you see in WPTY's report...

WKRC

33442g2.png

WPTY

igwogmqtmcouolbwghbn.jpg

now this would work just fine! does not need to impress anyone at all, it can just draw an attention to the viewers.

...and the hits keep coming.

@NewsCam

Uh oh! Total IT network failure @ABC24. Engineers working on it. Rest of us working on newscast contingency plans.

Though I see their signal now people on their FB page were complaining about an hour ago they were completely off the air. Seriously starting to wonder if they're going to make it to June 1.

They'll make it to June 1 alright. But this is a middle of the second week of the May books. You can't have any screw-ups like that during this crucial period.

Seriously. I suppose it could be worse too, they could be multiple months away from their relocation instead of less than one. Hopefully they'll patch these issues to last these few weeks left. The folks there have to be so gleeful to know their dire situation of the last few years is close to being over and apparently just in time.

Have WPTY on right now and they're apparently off and on. When I first tuned I had a few minutes of black, then the final segment of The Dr.s aired as normal and in full. Then normally when there would be an ad break and Dr. Phil its back to black again. WLMT is on-air working as normal.

EDIT...and now the playback of Dr. Phil is starting - 10 minutes late.

Reading the Press Release I see the word "Local" written a few times... "supporting the evolving needs and interests of our local viewing communities, hometown businesses, and public organizations." G.M. Ardyth Diercks said.

I would love for 24 to become The LOCAL Station. LOCAL 24. It would be smart branding. Look at WKRC they went to the Local branding and have been #1 in Cincy. People will take note of this in the Mid-South. Heres to crossing my fingers that they do become Local 24. :)

WKRC and WPTY aren't related anymore. Good luck. I think the branding should become something without the 24, like "ABC Memphis"

Yeah, the Local 24 idea was just something I saw as a possibility if they choose to rebrand mainly because its never been used in the market. As pointed out WKRC and WPTY are no longer sister stations (WKRC was part of the Sinclair portion of the deal). I don't think we should assume there's going to be a new brand or even a new logo, I originally said it's not 100% necessary to what Nexstar is wanting to do here (IMO) and I'm sticking to that. But, all possibilities are certainly open so it makes for interesting speculation.

I'm not sure we should assume the new graphic package you see a bit of is Hothaus either. It's clearly based off WKRC's Hothaus package but certainly won't be that exact one, and could well have been done in-house. Remember Hothaus was brought in for the Newport HD upgrades years ago, which WPTY was never a beneficiary of (their current package was also in-house and loosely based on some of the Newport HD look).

WKRC and WPTY aren't related anymore. Good luck. I think the branding should become something without the 24, like "ABC Memphis"

I undersand they are not sister stations anymore but that does not mean they have totally "cut ties". I have never been a fan of "ABC City Name".... Just because the Mid-South is so diverse people do not want to assicoate with Memphis all the time. I know Memphis is the largest city... but lets say Batesville,MS down in Panola County, their residences may not like or look to or turn to "ABC Memphis" for their local news.... Just my two cents. I could see WPTY Local or Local 24.... or just ABC 24... if it aint broke dont fix it... I guess is the term. Overall, all our questions will be answered on June 1st. :awesome:

Also, I think there is some variation to what Nexstar allows their stations to get graphic wise. All the NBC stations they own are using a syndicated package that NBC O&O in Dallas uses as well as a few other stations that are non Nexstar.... And they did not make the Newport stations change right away to their "style." Maybe they are allowing WPTY to do what they want graphic wise. Heck KLRT was allowed to keep their Hothaus package and current logo after moving into the KARK studios. So Nexstar maybe relaxed on the graphics package. But like I said above our questions will be answered on June 1st. :awesome:

LOCAL 24 anyone?? Look at the reflection and before the 24 is AL as in LOC"AL"!! LOCAL 24 WEATHER! Pretty excited to see a new logo and "branding". Also, the ABC 24 part is red.... just like WKRC Local 12... I think they used WKRC as a model for their new station. Also the set... is very similar at WKRC and WPTY because they were both build by/for Newport TV. June 1st hurry up and get here!! :awesome:

LOCAL 24 anyone?? Look at the reflection and before the 24 is AL as in LOC"AL"!! LOCAL 24 WEATHER! Pretty excited to see a new logo and "branding". Also, the ABC 24 part is red.... just like WKRC Local 12... I think they used WKRC as a model for their new station. Also the set... is very similar at WKRC and WPTY because they were both build by/for Newport TV. June 1st hurry up and get here!! :awesome:

I saw that as well but it's really hard to tell or know on that part.

Also looks like they may be using the new, modified ABC logo that's been expected to debut across the network for a while now.

I took the pic and flipped it to a correct orientation and I'm much more convinced that is indeed a "local" in front of the ABC24, and it certainly seems integrated with the 24 since the ABC is right in the middle, as if it's part of the overall branding. Also definitely the revamped ABC logo though that's probably not a huge surprise.

b99bno.jpg

Now look at the WKRC logo below and compare it to the Local ABC24 logo above.

Local12.png

Another thing I should mention is that when you go to abc24.com, the website title is "ABC24 Local News".

The website title has been that for a while, way back to the Newport days. It's part of a pretty long title if your browser can show all of it.

That said, I feel pretty good now this is where they're headed - Local 24 (and maybe ABC 24 retained for general/network branding). It closely resembles former sister WPMI as well, in fact perhaps a little better.

lrg-4070-wpmi-main-setweb.jpg

If all true, I wonder if perhaps we'll see a stacked version of the logo as well, like both WKRC and WPMI use. Interesting that Nexstar/WPTY or maybe both appear to be taking cues from former sisters that ended up going to Sinclair and not them.

I took the pic and flipped it to a correct orientation and I'm much more convinced that is indeed a "local" in front of the ABC24, and it certainly seems integrated with the 24 since the ABC is right in the middle, as if it's part of the overall branding. Also definitely the revamped ABC logo though that's probably not a huge surprise.

b99bno.jpg

Looks like they are keeping the ABC 24 but adding Local in it. it sounds like Nexstar is doing better with keeping up with appearances Last I heard it was Evansville IN, and Green Bay, WI that had the local branding that Nexstar added near the virtual channels.

The website title has been that for a while, way back to the Newport days. It's part of a pretty long title if your browser can show all of it.

That said, I feel pretty good now this is where they're headed - Local 24 (and maybe ABC 24 retained for general/network branding). It closely resembles former sister WPMI as well, in fact perhaps a little better.

lrg-4070-wpmi-main-setweb.jpg

If all true, I wonder if perhaps we'll see a stacked version of the logo as well, like both WKRC and WPMI use. Interesting that Nexstar/WPTY or maybe both appear to be taking cues from former sisters that ended up going to Sinclair and not them.

I personally think that WPTY is going to succeed under Nexstar with the Local Branding after all. It just as simple as that! (cheerfully smiling)

Apparently when I go to the ABC 24 mobile site, the title for that page is "WATN TV – Local24 News". Could a call sign change be possible? WATN = We're Arkansas / Tennessee?

Well, that would confirm what we already knew about the "Local 24" branding, but the call sign change surprises me. If the call letters are indeed being changed from WPTY to WATN, there better be a good reasoning behind it. Obviously, they can't have it stand for "We're Arkansas & Tennessee" since the Memphis market covers much of western Tennessee, eastern Arkansas, northern Mississippi, and (to some extent) the Missouri bootheel.

Well, that would confirm what we already knew about the "Local 24" branding, but the call sign change surprises me. If the call letters are indeed being changed from WPTY to WATN, there better be a good reasoning behind it. Obviously, they can't have it stand for "We're Arkansas & Tennessee" since the Memphis market covers much of western Tennessee, eastern Arkansas, northern Mississippi, and (to some extent) the Missouri bootheel.

Yeah, seriously. IF that is indicative of a call sign change, though I'm not sure what else that could be (and I can confirm the "WATN TV Local24 News" title on my mobile browser as well), there has to be something more behind it. I can believe the TN as Tennessee at least but not the A for Arkansas.

Honestly shocked there could be a call sign change at all, that was one of the things I definitely wasn't expecting to see, and surely would have thought we'd had heard about it before now, especially not through an early accidental change in a web browser title.

Yeah, seriously. IF that is indicative of a call sign change, though I'm not sure what else that could be (and I can confirm the "WATN TV Local24 News" title on my mobile browser as well), there has to be something more behind it. I can believe the TN as Tennessee at least but not the A for Arkansas.

Honestly shocked there could be a call sign change at all, that was one of the things I definitely wasn't expecting to see, and surely would have thought we'd had heard about it before now, especially not through an early accidental change in a web browser title.

EDIT - And sorry for the double post. If a mod happens to see feel free to delete one.

Archived