Allbritton could be selling too.......

tyrannical bastard

In contrast to what Sook is predicting' date=' Harry Jessell of TVNewsCheck gave his own analysis, stating there's big questions to be asked. Including whether how big the company is is better.

The one thing I assume folks here would be stunned, because it stunned me were not the possible station groups (which would look like it is the case). But it was the comments from Bob Iger himself. But I almost forgot he's running The Walt Disney Company, not just ABC. It looks like he cares more about catering to young folks who watches The Disney Channel, whoever goes to their establishments in Lake Buena Vista & Anaheim on a daily basis, and moreso care about ESPN than running a TV station, as he's basically saying that it is a slowing and he might as well say a dying business. Despite what Iger said, I still love to see ABC acquiring WJLA. But I (would be pissed but) wouldn't hold my breath if doesn't happen. ABC will still be one of the healthiest station group companies in the nation.

I still can't get the fact that some of you still think that ABC would want to buy WBMA. I can't see ABC breaking the bank in owning that property. To tell you the truth, it looks like that station is ran by one of the smaller owner stations like Hoak or Max Media.

Scripps would be a dominate force in the DC-B'more region should they acquire WJLA, while they already have low-rated WMAR. I would love to see a adjacent-affiliate promotion, similar to what WCIA/WMBD in Illinois use to do many years ago, prior to the Nexstar acquisition. But if Scripps get the whole thing, the question remains if they're going to keep either KJRH or KTUL. They would have to divest one of them. But even though they do have KERO, I don't think they'll snag all of the stations. I think they'll pull away with just WBMA & KATV.

I am shocked that the article didn't state a certain Minnesota company, which already have radio there. Someone commented on that article that one of the execs from there was there prior to the Robert Allbritton announcement. And this certain company was willing to buy the Trib stations should they want to sell? Many analysts have missed the Hubbard family badly and should they get WJLA, this will stun the whole industry.

You can blame the way WBMA is ran on the station GM and the notion that it should be a "regional station that serves the smaller towns of the market" rather than a station that focuses on the urban core. It has been that way since day 1 of its operations as "ABC 33/40".

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can blame the way WBMA is ran on the station GM and the notion that it should be a "regional station that serves the smaller towns of the market" rather than a station that focuses on the urban core. It has been that way since day 1 of its operations as "ABC 33/40".

I heard that same thing many years ago. It's obviously a good thing to serve most of the COL of there full-power counterparts in Tuscaloosa & Anniston. But not to try and focus on the main city proper, that one irks me. Do you think ABC would do all that that kind of heavy lifting the other folks in the current ownership can't? Just because NBC did their thing for Channel 13 (before MG came and wreck the place), doesn't mean that ABC should come and save WBMA.

I am shocked that the article didn't state a certain Minnesota company' date=' which already have radio there. Someone commented on that article that one of the execs from there was there prior to the Robert Allbritton announcement. And this certain company was willing to buy the Trib stations should they want to sell? Many analysts have missed the Hubbard family badly and should they get WJLA, this will stun the whole industry.

They haven't bought a TV station since 2001 when they bought KAAL in Austin, MN. I'm guessing that's why they're off the radar since it seems like they're growing the radio portion of their company moreso than the TV part.

But with the cross promotion that WJLA does do with WTOP in terms of traffic and weather, it would be a good fit for them if Hubbard is in the buying mood. And based on the newscasts I've seen of KSTP, Hubbard does a good job in maintaining good quality when it comes to their journalism and will probably keep up with the same quality on WJLA, especially if they integrate it with the resources at WTOP.

Especially moreso than some of the other prosepctive buyers who have been buying stations left and right.

They haven't bought a TV station since 2001 when they bought KAAL in Austin, MN. I'm guessing that's why they're off the radar since it seems like they're growing the radio portion of their company moreso than the TV part.

But with the cross promotion that WJLA does do with WTOP in terms of traffic and weather, it would be a good fit for them if Hubbard is in the buying mood. And based on the newscasts I've seen of KSTP, Hubbard does a good job in maintaining good quality when it comes to their journalism and will probably keep up with the same quality on WJLA, especially if they integrate it with the resources at WTOP.

Especially moreso than some of the other prosepctive buyers who have been buying stations left and right.

You must not have heard a couple of months ago that the Hubbard family is buying Venture's WNYA to form a duo with WNYT, and using the failed station waiver card to get it. Other than that, they haven't been buying many TV stations. And with Hubbard probably having thought on getting the Trib stations, they must be willing to buy, if their suit fits.

The structure of WBMA does seem to make it impossible for Sinclair (and maybe LIN, too, since it owns WIAT) to acquire it. WBMA is a low-power station, which under normal situations could legally be purchased with a same-market full-power station since FCC rules don't restrict the ownership of an LPTV alongside a full-power station. But it has WCFT and WJSU, they were both once standalone stations, but became satellites under Allbritton when WBRC was sold to Fox and joined that network after its contract with ABC ran out.

The FCC does count satellite stations as being part of the same entity as the originating station, but usually that involves a full-power outlet being the originating station (also I'm not sure if the FCC licenses for both stations even constitute them as satellites). Plus, Nielsen ranks WBMA and its satellites as one station ("WBMA+") in the market ratings books, and it would rank among the top four stations in the Birmingham market. The way WBMA's triplecast is set up makes it categorically impossible to be sold in a group deal with the rest of the Allbritton stations to a company that already owns a station in Birmingham. So it's quite possible that Allbritton could be sold in pieces, meaning that WJLA isn't the only candidate to be sold separately from the rest of its sister stations.

NewsChannel 8 is also a perplexing situation, a privately-owned station group may acquire both it and WJLA. But if ABC did make a play for WJLA, I don't see them buying NewsChannel 8 along with it. Disney would seem more inclined to run a national news channel than a regional one, which shows in the fact that they're partnering with Univision to start Fusion and the fact that they have ABC News Now. If a media company that is not a cable provider runs a regional news channel in the U.S., it's more than likely that it would be a station owner (e.g., CLTV with Tribune) than someone that owns one of the major networks.

You must not have heard a couple of months ago that the Hubbard family is buying Venture's WNYA to form a duo with WNYT' date=' and using the failed station waiver card to get it. Other than that, they haven't been buying many TV stations. And with Hubbard probably having thought on getting the Trib stations, they must be willing to buy, if their suit fits.

I forgot about the WNYA purchase.

But you're right, if they're willing to buy a portion of Tribune's TV stations, then WJLA shouldn't be any difficult for them either.

Well, which ever any broadcast station group will bid for the stations of Allbritton Communications (except for Sinclair and Nexstar), let us hope they'll be in good hands in the future. As for WJLA being sold to ABC, chances are it is unlikely to happen, after ABC sold WJRT in Flint and WTVG in Toledo back to its previous owner SJL Broadcasting in 2010.

I personally think that ABC did the right thing by selling the respective stations in Flint, Michigan and in Toledo, Ohio back to SJL Broadcasting.

but on a unrelated note: SJL teamed up with Blackstone Group to buy all of the Emmis Television Stations back in 2006.

However, I have to agree with a member that WJLA being sold to ABC, I don't know if its going to really happen or not.

Well, which ever any broadcast station group will bid for the stations of Allbritton Communications (except for Sinclair and Nexstar), let us hope they'll be in good hands in the future. As for WJLA being sold to ABC, chances are it is unlikely to happen, after ABC sold WJRT in Flint and WTVG in Toledo back to its previous owner SJL Broadcasting in 2010.

ABC purchased those stations for fear of being left without a station affiliation in Detroit. They sold them because Scripps reupped with them in Detroit, combined with the fact that the two stations are in small markets. Selling those two and buying WJLA is like comparing apples and oranges.

I heard that same thing many years ago. It's obviously a good thing to serve most of the COL of there full-power counterparts in Tuscaloosa & Anniston. But not to try and focus on the main city proper, that one irks me. Do you think ABC would do all that that kind of heavy lifting the other folks in the current ownership can't? Just because NBC did their thing for Channel 13 (before MG came and wreck the place), doesn't mean that ABC should come and save WBMA.

Blame it on the mindset of the region. There is a mindset to ruin Birmingham and get even with the city's blacks and activists that fought against the notion of segregation and in return "the powers that be" wants the city to be nothing although it is the region's urban core. ABC 33/40 plays off this idiocy with its news operation by always talking about every city but Birmingham. NBC was the only one that counteracted against that while owning WVTM. ABC, Hearst, Scripps, or even Belo could counteract this idiocy and cover Birmingham like it covers the rest of the region, objectively and thoroughly.

ABC purchased those stations for fear of being left without a station affiliation in Detroit. They sold them because Scripps reupped with them in Detroit, combined with the fact that the two stations are in small markets. Selling those two and buying WJLA is like comparing apples and oranges.

They held on to them for more than 15 years, though, they didn't get out until the local station business stopped being hugely profitable.

Has SJL been good to the stations? I heard they fired a bunch of longtime WJRT personalities once they took back the reins.

They held on to them for more than 15 years, though, they didn't get out until the local station business stopped being hugely profitable.

Has SJL been good to the stations? I heard they fired a bunch of longtime WJRT personalities once they took back the reins.

You have to also consider the markets they were in: Toledo and Flint. Both cities have had significant economic struggles for awhile. It just wasn't in ABC's best interests to keep the stations, especially with WXYZ locked with ABC long-term. And neither of them had any special status that they legacy Capital Cities stations had.

SJL also canned a significant amount of behind-the-scenes personnel from WTVG on the same week they took that station back.

but on a unrelated note: SJL teamed up with Blackstone Group to buy all of the Emmis Television Stations back in 2006.

SJL/Blackstone didn't buy all the Emmis stations. Due to the aftermath from Hurricane Katrina, Emmis had to hold onto WVUE in NOLA for two years before unloading it to Saints owner Tom Benson.

ABC used those two as leverage towards Scripps. It wasn't just WXYZ... WEWS was also heavily being courted by CBS.

You have to also consider the markets they were in: Toledo and Flint. Both cities have had significant economic struggles for awhile. It just wasn't in ABC's best interests to keep the stations, especially with WXYZ locked with ABC long-term. And neither of them had any special status that they legacy Capital Cities stations had.

SJL also canned a significant amount of behind-the-scenes personnel from WTVG on the same week they took that station back.

SJL/Blackstone didn't buy all the Emmis stations. Due to the aftermath from Hurricane Katrina, Emmis had to hold onto WVUE in NOLA for two years before unloading it to Saints owner Tom Benson.

I think I understand you very well regarding WVUE-TV situation in NOLA for two years, however, I can recall that SJL/Blackstone group got KSNT/KSNW (and KSNW's satelite stations)** plus they have gotten KOIN and one other station in Hawaii.

**personally speaking, I would like to see KSNT/KSNW cover the entire state of Kansas and plus Topeka and Wichita and besides KSNT has already have the Kansas State Network in their call letters)

+what I meant was KSNW has already have news bureaus in Great Bend/ Salina, Garden City, KS and also McCook, NE while they are simulcasting the news from Wichita.

I think I understand you very well regarding WVUE-TV situation in NOLA for two years, however, I can recall that SJL/Blackstone group got KSNT/KSNW (and KSNW's satelite stations)** plus they have gotten KOIN and one other station in Hawaii.

**personally speaking, I would like to see KSNT/KSNW cover the entire state of Kansas and plus Topeka and Wichita and besides KSNT has already have the Kansas State Network in their call letters)

+what I meant was KSNW has already have news bureaus in Great Bend/ Salina, Garden City, KS and also McCook, NE while they are simulcasting the news from Wichita.

I could see Cox Media Group buy WJLA, KATV, ABC 33/40, and WHTM; LIN buy WSET and WCIV; and either Hearst, Gannett, or Raycom buy KTUL.

I think it would do 33/40 some good to see Cox buy them. Since they just got rid of several decent sized stations, I feel they need to beef up. I would really like to see a more national company come in and see what they could do with 33/40. In my opinion the market is stuck in a rut and needs something creative. Wouldn't mind Scripps or Gannett either, I think Gannett could give Raycom a big run for their money in creating a "network" of stations in the south. PRAYING Raycom does not eat up these stations, especially because that would mean duopoly in B'ham. I can see an LMA barreling down the tunnel right now. The only reason I don't see Cox coming here is they just sold all the radio stations they had to Cumulus.

Blame it on the mindset of the region. There is a mindset to ruin Birmingham and get even with the city's blacks and activists that fought against the notion of segregation and in return "the powers that be" wants the city to be nothing although it is the region's urban core. ABC 33/40 plays off this idiocy with its news operation by always talking about every city but Birmingham. NBC was the only one that counteracted against that while owning WVTM. ABC, Hearst, Scripps, or even Belo could counteract this idiocy and cover Birmingham like it covers the rest of the region, objectively and thoroughly.

I completely disagree with you. 33/40 is a Birmingham HOG. Not sure how long ago you watched or if you've ever watched at all, but honestly the only station that is REALLY starting to eat up other market share is WBRC. They recently hired about 5 former professional staff members from WVUA-TV in and have built a large newsroom in Tuscaloosa. They have been covering West Alabama like white on rice.

33/40 doesn't even do live shots from its studio in Anniston anymore.

The station covers the same amount of actual city limit news as any of the stations here. The only one who I'd say doesn't cover the actual city as much is WIAT. That could change though since Lin in FINALLY here. hallelujah

I think it would do 33/40 some good to see Cox buy them. Since they just got rid of several decent sized stations, I feel they need to beef up. I would really like to see a more national company come in and see what they could do with 33/40. In my opinion the market is stuck in a rut and needs something creative. Wouldn't mind Scripps or Gannett either, I think Gannett could give Raycom a big run for their money in creating a "network" of stations in the south. PRAYING Raycom does not eat up these stations, especially because that would mean duopoly in B'ham. I can see an LMA barreling down the tunnel right now. The only reason I don't see Cox coming here is they just sold all the radio stations they had to Cumulus.

Cox sold its Birmingham cluster to its former market manager, David Dubose and a group of "investors" called "Summit Media Group".

I completely disagree with you. 33/40 is a Birmingham HOG. Not sure how long ago you watched or if you've ever watched at all, but honestly the only station that is REALLY starting to eat up other market share is WBRC. They recently hired about 5 former professional staff members from WVUA-TV in and have built a large newsroom in Tuscaloosa. They have been covering West Alabama like white on rice.

33/40 doesn't even do live shots from its studio in Anniston anymore.

The station covers the same amount of actual city limit news as any of the stations here. The only one who I'd say doesn't cover the actual city as much is WIAT. That could change though since Lin in FINALLY here. hallelujah

Uh, I grew up in Birmingham and remember when stations wouldn't be afraid of focusing their news on the only true US major city in the market, Birmingham. Although I now live in Atlanta, I know what is still going on in Birmingham on a regular.

ABC 33/40's main purpose from day 1 was force all the other Birmingham stations to not focus on the core city of the market rather on what is going on in daily small-town Alabama. Yeah, Raycom is another culprit with that "ignore Birmingham BS" as well. NBCU-owned WVTM and present LIN-owned WIAT were/are the only ones that did allow their stations focus on Birmingham and cover the other areas as needed. Meanwhile, Media General has turned WVTM into Tuscaloosa's biggest cheerleader does "Tuscaloosa Living" ring a bell? Why doesn't anyone do a show focusing on Birmingham, hmm? WBRC is just copying WVTM with their recent moves. That is the reason why WIAT has shot up like a rocket in ratings because B'ham metro residents hate the omission of the news and positive happenings around the city.

Oh yeah, ABC 33/40 doesn't do live shots from Anniston anymore because Kevyn Stewart took a job with FOX O&O "FOX5 Atlanta" WAGA in Atlanta in January. As a result, the "East Alabama Newsroom" is ran by a small group of off-air photojournalists and occasionally with Cory McGinnis for actual live shots. At the end of the day, ABC 33/40 operates like a small-market news operation.

Birmingham DMA needs some new blood and someone that wants to show that this isn't a region of a bunch small towns like Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson-Asheville or Harrisburg-Lancaster-York. It should be more rather more or less like Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville, a market with a large urban area and a handful of satellite cities but those places should never become the focus over a 1.2 million inhabitant metro area.

Cox sold its Birmingham cluster to its former market manager, David Dubose and a group of "investors" called "Summit Media Group".

Uh, I grew up in Birmingham and remember when stations wouldn't be afraid of focusing their news on the only true US major city in the market, Birmingham. Although I now live in Atlanta, I know what is still going on in Birmingham on a regular.

ABC 33/40's main purpose from day 1 was force all the other Birmingham stations to not focus on the core city of the market rather on what is going on in daily small-town Alabama. Yeah, Raycom is another culprit with that "ignore Birmingham BS" as well. NBCU-owned WVTM and present LIN-owned WIAT were/are the only ones that did allow their stations focus on Birmingham and cover the other areas as needed. Meanwhile, Media General has turned WVTM into Tuscaloosa's biggest cheerleader does "Tuscaloosa Living" ring a bell? Why doesn't anyone do a show focusing on Birmingham, hmm? WBRC is just copying WVTM with their recent moves. That is the reason why WIAT has shot up like a rocket in ratings because B'ham metro residents hate the omission of the news and positive happenings around the city.

Oh yeah, ABC 33/40 doesn't do live shots from Anniston anymore because Kevyn Stewart took a job with FOX O&O "FOX5 Atlanta" WAGA in Atlanta in January. As a result, the "East Alabama Newsroom" is ran by a small group of off-air photojournalists and occasionally with Cory McGinnis for actual live shots. At the end of the day, ABC 33/40 operates like a small-market news operation.

Birmingham DMA needs some new blood and someone that wants to show that this isn't a region of a bunch small towns like Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson-Asheville or Harrisburg-Lancaster-York. It should be more rather more or less like Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville, a market with a large urban area and a handful of satellite cities but those places should never become the focus over a 1.2 million inhabitant metro area.

I mean, I just watched 33/40's 5 and 6 and half their A-Block was all on stuff that came out of council. And WBRC has had a dedicated live truck for t-town for about three years, long before Ms. Armstrong started doing her so called "packages". Can't remember the last time 13 did a live shot down here. And if you don't want the larger cities covered... Maybe petition Nielsen to break the market up again. That would solve all the problems you are stating. Have you actually seen the books? Ratings are not increasing for WIAT. Why did they demote Mark Prater, get rid of Ken Lass and hire a new Chief Met? hmm. BTW this is really getting off the subject of the thread. Stay on topic guys. I grew up in Birmingham as well.

I personally think Scripps would revive the stations (minus WJLA) the best. I think they could have an interest especially in the midwest/southeast stations. I lSinclair, no way. ABC/Disney no go for 33/40. Probably not even WJLA. I like entertaining Gannett. Belo doesn't want it. Hearst doesn't have the money. Nexstar DEFINITELY does not have the money. I'd like to see Scripps take over! Like tmmontgomery said, Cox would be a good fit because they journalistically are really good at what they do, and they would stay true to the stations' on air talent and the roots of the station. That is somewhat important after all.

I mean, I just watched 33/40's 5 and 6 and half their A-Block was all on stuff that came out of council. And WBRC has had a dedicated live truck for t-town for about three years, long before Ms. Armstrong started doing her so called "packages". Can't remember the last time 13 did a live shot down here. And if you don't want the larger cities covered... Maybe petition Nielsen to break the market up again. That would solve all the problems you are stating. Have you actually seen the books? Ratings are not increasing for WIAT. Why did they demote Mark Prater, get rid of Ken Lass and hire a new Chief Met? hmm. BTW this is really getting off the subject of the thread. Stay on topic guys. I grew up in Birmingham as well.

I personally think Scripps would revive the stations (minus WJLA) the best. I think they could have an interest especially in the midwest/southeast stations. I lSinclair, no way. ABC/Disney no go for 33/40. Probably not even WJLA. I like entertaining Gannett. Belo doesn't want it. Hearst doesn't have the money. Nexstar DEFINITELY does not have the money. I'd like to see Scripps take over! Like tmmontgomery said, Cox would be a good fit because they journalistically are really good at what they do, and they would stay true to the stations' on air talent and the roots of the station. That is somewhat important after all.

Sure, we can stay on topic, but 2 things. Ken Lass' exit (retirement), Mark Prater "demotion", and the introduction of Gene Norman were exclusively decisions of LIN management in Indy not those in Birmingham. The market as is fine, but the largest population center (Birmingham) deserves the respect as such rather than being pushed to the side as if it is irrelevant. There is a way to cover news in those smaller urban center not at the expense of Birmingham.

Regardless, I'm still betting on Disney/ABC, Scripps, and/or Hearst might have some involvement but that's it with those 3. I doubt Cox will come back to Birmingham after just completing its spinning off of its large radio cluster. David DuBose and his group are now running the show at the office complex in northern Shelby County.

• 1 month later...

We know Local TV LLC has closed its offers and is now sorting them out, but do we know anything about Allbritton yet?

I think this one will get more offers, as it has fewer stations and a lower price tag, especially if WJLA is separated (most believe that will become an ABC O&O).

Archived