Allbritton could be selling too.......

tyrannical bastard

In 1995 during the big switch ABC looked at WTTO but said no because it didn't have a news departement.Would ABC go to a station with no news department or would WTTO have to start a new news department?

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In 1995 during the big switch ABC looked at WTTO but said no because it didn't have a news departement.Would ABC go to a station with no news department or would WTTO have to start a new news department?

In my opinion, I would have to say it's 50/50 chance. But that depends how long is WBMA/WCFT/WJSU's affiliation contract from ABC.

While we are all speculating about possible buyers, has there been any serious approaches from other broadcast entities for these properties?

It's too early. I wouldn't expect a deal until August or September.

One of the stations in Birmingham is already owned by Cunningham Broadcasting. WTTO doesn't have a satellite waiver for WDBB. Therefore' date=' WDBB is owned by Cunningham, and Sinclair operates WDBB. Sinclair has a duopoly of WTTO & MyNetworkTV station WABM. Sinclair should not confuse the folks to try to use the Stealfield card to get WBMA and the giant satellites. So you want them to control a total of [b']6[/b] stations?

Certainly sounds more and more to me like ABC has the right-of-first-refusal clause to purchase WJLA, with NC8 as a throw-in. If that's the case, again, NC8 could wind up in the hands of either Comcast or Hubbard (the latter easily could be rebranded "WTOP TV" and used to further extend WTOP's brand beyond radio and the Internet).

Depending on the time period such a clause was enacted, that might explain the blurb in DCRTV yesterday about WJLA's calls likely are to be changed with the sale. If it was written in prior to 2007 (when ABC divested their radio division) the clause might include a provision where, if ABC buys WJLA, the calls are reverted back to WMAL-TV (meaning, ABC holds the rights to use the WMAL calls, and Citadel and Cumulus have been using them on 630/105.9 in a perpetual arrangement with ABC).

Should Sinclair buy WJSU/WCFT/WBMA, it would be just a simple channel swap along the lines of the WTVJ/WCIX-WFOR facility swap in 1995... with the CW programming in total moving to 33/40/58 (subsequently assigned to one of their handy JSAS/SSAs, and the ABC programming in total on Sinclair-controlled WTTO.

I fail to understand the logic behind this line of thinking. The Albritton Birmingham cluster has been operating as the full-market ABC affiliate for nearly 20 years on a split signal. It obviously works for them. But in the age of cable/satellite/digital broadcasting does that even matter now? How would jumping to 21 make any bit of difference? To make them "feel" better about branding on one channel number versus two? If they wanted to do that, they could have worked something out to get on, say, channel "9" on all the cable systems and branded that way. Or branded as "ABC Alabama" ala WGCL-Atlanta and left the channel numbers out all together.

For reference, here are the FCC service contours for WTTO-TV versus WJSU/WCFT/WBMA. There really is no clear advantage swapping of facilities as you suggested. In fact, I would give the current Albritton set-up a *slight* advantage since the OTA signal off the Tuscaloosa tower reaches further west. In reality, shaking up the affiliation in Birmingham or swapping out the facilities doesn't give them any big advantage.

(edited to add): As an aside, should Sinclair try to purchase the Albritton cluster, I don't see anything preventing them from operating a duopoly outright in this case. It's not like the 3 stations *compete* against each other or adding WTTO would give them a competitive advantage in setting advertising rates in the market.

Actually, Sinclair owns 2 stations outright in the Birmingham TV market, thus it cannot purchase WBMA/WJSU/WCFT at all. It owns both WTTO and WABM outright with their licenses being assigned to Sinclair and WDBB (WTTO satellite station) is owned by Sinclair via "WDBB Television, Inc" which is likely the "Cunningham Broadcasting" one.

Sinclair doesn't stand a chance in hell being allowed to control 6 stations in the Birmingham TV market even if they attempted a switcharoo.

This would be a triopoly; in addition to WTTO, Sinclair owns WABM there too.

Exactly, this isn't situation where Sinclair or any of its shell companies would be able to get away with this. They already own 2 and control 1 in the market, so adding an additional 3 other stations wouldn't be allowed at all. Mobile-Pensacola market is one thing but Birmingham isn't "spread out" or "2 different states" like that. It's a common area where the cities are all within 50 miles of one another Birmingham, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa, thus it would flag the FCC and their ownership cap for a common market area immediately.

I personally believe that SINCLAIR will not pursue this venture. There are too many obstacles that will keep them from capturing the entire group (minus WJLA). As stated before, ABC 33/40, WCIV, and WHTM are all in markets in which SINCLAIR already has established operatives (of which they already have duopolies). I believe that (minus WJLA) the group will either have a chance with LIN MEDIA, SCRIPPS (with KTUL as a fly in the ointment), BELO or possibly MEREDITH (if they have the interest or cash-flow). Mind you now that ALLBRITTON has to make this group attractive enough for BELO or even SCRIPPS to pursue. Granted, there maybe others that might want to chime in, but I seriously doubt SINCLAIR or even NEXSTAR would try.

I agree. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Disney/ABC doesn't attempt to get the top 2 of the Allbritton stations [WJLA & WBMA(WJSU/WCFT)] while the rest are spun off to either Scripps, Meredith, or even Hearst. LIN Media is out of the question in Birmingham because it has ownership of WIAT, and Sinclair has WTTO & WABM outright and controls WDBB (so nope at them as well). The top 2 Allbritton stations are cash cows in their respective markets and serious contenders for the #1 spots in the coming years pending how well their competition can hold them at bay.

Yeah. I think Robert Allbritton want is banking on someone who could buy WJLA by itself. And who else would get the rest of the portfolio. I don't think ABC would want to have an Alabama station, even if it is a cash-cow.

I already said what I think its going to happen on my previous post. But there's another possibility one of those newly form groups could also come in the fold. The folks that use to run the defunct New Vision Television (which last year today announce the buyout by LIN TV), are under this new group called Alchemedia or a newly form group called Huntington could also come to play. So far, these companies haven't gotten anything, thanks to the big company like Sinclair & Nexstar with their shells & proxies.

Yeah. I think Robert Allbritton want is banking on someone who could buy WJLA by itself. And who else would get the rest of the portfolio. I don't think ABC would want to have an Alabama station, even if it is a cash-cow.

I already said what I think its going to happen on my previous post. But there's another possibility one of those newly form groups could also come in the fold. The folks that use to run the defunct New Vision Television (which last year today announce the buyout by LIN TV), are under this new group called Alchemedia or a newly form group called Huntington could also come to play. So far, these companies haven't gotten anything, thanks to the big company like Sinclair & Nexstar with their shells & proxies.

I'm pretty sure ABC wasn't banking on acquiring a station in North Carolina or Central California back in 1985 when it merged with Capital Cities. They lucked up with WTVD being in Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA, but Fresno is just a market smaller than Buffalo (where they spun off an O&O) even in the present day.

Yet they have held on to those stations especially KFSN-TV for damn near 30 years now. Market ranking wise Birmingham is much higher up and way more profitable than Fresno, so why wouldn't they want a station in a top 50 (#42) market when it still has an O&O in market #55?

I say never underestimate the strategic nature of network suits when they can get a bargain deal with WJLA and WBMA/WCFT/WJSU.

When taking into consideration the major networks' preferences for operating stations primarily in top-ten markets, I can't think of any reason for ABC to want WBMA/WCFT/WJSU.

Though I think ABC holds onto KFSN mostly because it serves as a guinea pig for new technologies and because it's geographically advantageous (it's in the same state as the larger KABC in Los Angeles and KGO in San Francisco).

I'm pretty sure ABC wasn't banking on acquiring a station in North Carolina or Central California back in 1985 when it merged with Capital Cities. They lucked up with WTVD being in Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA, but Fresno is just a market smaller than Buffalo (where they spun off an O&O) even in the present day.

Yet they have held on to those stations especially KFSN-TV for damn near 30 years now. Market ranking wise Birmingham is much higher up and way more profitable than Fresno, so why wouldn't they want a station in a top 50 (#42) market when it still has an O&O in market #55?

I say never underestimate the strategic nature of network suits when they can get a bargain deal with WJLA and WBMA/WCFT/WJSU.

No, but you stated that you wouldn't be shocked if ABC would get WJLA & WBMA. You might as well say that ABC should get ALL of the Allbritton stations then, when it would be a lot more wise for ABC to just get the big 7 in the nation's capitol, and leave the rest for the other groups to fight for. No, I don't think that they would want the stations in San Joaquin Valley or the Triangle in the mid-1980s, but they've kept it for over 27 years. They probably wanted to keep the Detroit outlet. CapCities probably wanted to keep WTNH. But both had to divest before both ABC & CapCities merge.

Would it be more wise for ABC to just get WJLA, and then let the others go to other groups, or have one group get the rest, instead of ABC getting the whole thing, and then ABC have to do the heavy lifting to re-sell the smaller-market station and keep WJLA? To me that would be uber-stupid. Someone said on the Local TV board that Fox should re-buy WGHP. Why would they buy back a station they just sold? If that was the case, then they shouldn't have sold WGHP to begin with.

Birmingham did have an O&O, but that relationship didn't last too long after close to a decade. Why should ABC go to Birmingham, and then possibly sell it later. I would never picture a state like Alabama be owned by a network. But it did have one. They are other good groups that would better suit WBMA & the satellites. I don't think it would benefit ABC all that much. All its going to do is burning a lot of money. I wouldn't mind the Lighthouse (Scripps) or Hearst acquiring WBMA & KATV. Hell, these two could be possible contenders of the big 7 in DC.

I know ABC is one of the wisest media companies in North America. But IMHO, If there was a time for a certain group to buy a specific station, I don't think any other group deserve a station more than the network itself. I hate to semi-quote this late TV personality but I'm gonna do it anyway. ABC should bet their last dollar on acquiring DC's big 7 (and just JLA only) and not let that station-hungry, thirsty ass bastards 50 miles away to the northeast (that's what I said. y'all know who I'm talking about) to steal ABC's thunder, like they did to LIN with the Fisher takeover. And if that happens, it's all gonna be a stone gas.

When taking into consideration the major networks' preferences for operating stations primarily in top-ten markets, I can't think of any reason for ABC to want WBMA/WCFT/WJSU.

Though I think ABC holds onto KFSN mostly because it serves as a guinea pig for new technologies and because it's geographically advantageous (it's in the same state as the larger KABC in Los Angeles and KGO in San Francisco).

Thank You. That would be an unattractive portfolio. ABC has one of the best portfolios, with just 8 stations with 6 are in the top 10 markets. Fewer than any network O&O and the eight that they have totals 23% of the country. WJLA would be like at least an additional 1%.

As for KFSN. I hear they do some hubbing there. I'm not sure if its for certain syndie shows or graphics. But I know they centralcast something there. Therefore ABC isn't leaving the San Joaquin Valley anytime soon. And did I mention they're #1? And with Nexstar & Sinclair (hasn't been confirmed) coming to that market, I don't think ABC or Univision have anything to worry about.

Thank You. That would be an unattractive portfolio. ABC has one of the best portfolios, with just 8 stations with 6 are in the top 10 markets. Fewer than any network O&O and the eight that they have totals 23% of the country. WJLA would be like at least an additional 1%.

1.8% to be semi-exact. Imagine how attractive 25%, one quarter of the nation, would look when the PR department gets their hands on the numbers.

I think there are certain stations that ABC would consider buying if they were for sale:

WJLA in DC

WFAA in Dallas/Fort Worth

WPLG or WSVN in South Florida/Miami

WCVB or WHDH in Boston

I could also see ABC dumping the Fresno and Raleigh stations down the road.

TVNewsCheck just posted an analysis article about potential buyers. And some will stun you. Some analysts are saying the whole group could fetch from $900M to over $1B. Perry Sook is making his hypothesis that the M&As will continue within the next 18 months as more consolidating is happening.

So apparently ABC, Sinclair, Nexstar, LIN, Hearst, Belo, Scripps, and Raycom.

Can you tell me what I'm supposed to be stunned by? That's basically every non-network station group with the exception of Gannett. I'm sure EVERYONE'S made phone calls and/or kicked the tires. I mean, it's the ABC affiliate in market #9. Those don't go on the block every day.

And of the groups, we already knew that ABC was one of the top candidates, but probably only for WJLA. And they do present a Bob Iger quote that basically throws the local stations under the bus. That's why I don't think ABC buying WJLA is a slam dunk. Again, it all goes back to that Disney mentality under Iger. You can buy a television station group and grow your reach... or you can buy Marvel and build a Scrooge McDuck-style vault so you can swim in all the god damn cash you're going to make. If this is a decision that has to be made by Iger, I'm not sure he'd say yes.

Sinclair, Nexstar, and Raycom want to buy all the things. So they have to come up in any discussion. But I'm not sure about their chances because they would have multiple station ownership issues in a lot of markets if they get the whole group. LIN is freshly capitalized and probably wants to grow. Hearst and Belo are outside shots, I think. It's out of Belo's footprint, and neither they nor Hearst has been known to make big transactions.

SCRIPPS, however... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think they're the most likely to get the whole group, and the second most likely to get WJLA and possibly the Birmigham trio if ABC passes. It fits into their portfolio - they're an ABC heavy group, they won't have issues in most of their markets, and they've shown they can establish synergy reasonably fast with the MGH purchase.

Now, a few other things to make the post longer.

You forgot one minor detail.

ABC didn't buy Capital Cities. Capital Cities bought ABC, at the latter's behest - Leonard Goldenson didn't want ABC ending up with a General Electric or a Tisch, so he called Tom Murphy and Dan Burke and asked them to buy the network. Oh, and as he was asking, he had Warren Buffett on a plane headed to CapCities with a couple of billion dollars. (Contrary to legend, the profits from WPVI didn't fuel the sale - Berkshire Hathaway money did.)

Keep in mind, the ownership caps were actually caps back then, and they ended up selling four stations to get under. New Haven was probably too close to NYC to get a waiver, so TNH went. WFTS was an independent they'd just bought, and that wouldn't fit into the new plan, so that was sold off. They had to lose one of their big ones regardless. WXYZ and, big shock, WPVI were the two stations at risk. WPVI was also close enough to NYC that they'd need a waiver to own, but CBS had owned channel 10 for decades and was doing just fine. Using that precedent, they were able to keep their most important station, and Detroit was sold to Scripps. Buffalo, I think, went because they would still be a little over the percentage cap - Fresno would put them under. So the smaller market won.

Keep in mind, the television station division is still very much built on the foundation of Capital Cities. When the circle-7s were brought into the fold, they transitioned to more of an Action News style. (WABC more or less picked up the format WPVI was using, including the cheesy promos.)

ABC has one of the best portfolios, with just 8 stations with 6 are in the top 10 markets. Fewer than any network O&O and the eight that they have totals 23% of the country. WJLA would be like at least an additional 1%.

As for KFSN. I hear they do some hubbing there. I'm not sure if its for certain syndie shows or graphics. But I know they centralcast something there. Therefore ABC isn't leaving the San Joaquin Valley anytime soon. And did I mention they're #1? And with Nexstar & Sinclair (hasn't been confirmed) coming to that market, I don't think ABC or Univision have anything to worry about.

Bingo. ABC realized long ago that it's better to be a smaller, more efficient network group with a top-market concentration than a sprawling network of stations around the country. Plus, it's allowed them to give resources to every station. Yeah, they might own eight stations, but they are a commanding #1 or at least in the running for the top spot in almost all of them.

KFSN, as far as I've been able to pick up, is the central hub for LiveWell. I've also heard that the O&Os digital operations operate out of there.

ABC doesn't have a central graphics "hub" anymore. For years, they did. The ABC Video Design Group was behind the looks of all of the O&Os from approximately the mid-80s onward to 2004. They were pretty good at their peak - they did the CapCities Chrome design of the 1980s that remains one of my all-time favorites.

KFSN, as far as I've been able to pick up, is the central hub for LiveWell. I've also heard that the O&Os digital operations operate out of there.

Here is an excerpt from KFSN's website regarding what they do for ABC:

ABC30 also plays an important role for ABC's owned television stations

by serving as the central ingest hub for the Live Well Network. ABC30

processes internet and television advertising commercials, syndicated

and paid programs, and syndicated promotion tagging for the group.

Rebecca Campbell, President of ABC's Owned Television Stations, says,

"KFSN serves a specific strategic purpose for the ABC owned television

station group, acting as the technology hub, where research and testing

of new technology is conducted that then can be rolled out to the rest

of the stations."

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=resources/inside_station/station_info&id=8068098

I think Scripps will buy the entire Allbritton station group. But in Tulsa' date=' Scripps will have to keep KJRH and sell KTUL to another owner.[/font']

That will not happen. WJLA + the rest of the stations is too cost-prohibitive. In fact, I'll be so bold as to say that no one will be able to buy the whole group as is. Heck, Allbritton reps have stated that they prefer to sell WJLA and NC8 separately from the rest of the group.

Moreover, I'm not even sure Scripps wants any of the stations, with a possible exception of Birmingham (they owned the Birmingham Post-Herald for several decades).

CircleSeven, on 09 May 2013 - 08:44, said:

TVNewsCheck just posted an analysis article about potential buyers. And some will stun you. Some analysts are saying the whole group could fetch from $900M to over $1B. Perry Sook is making his hypothesis that the M&As will continue within the next 18 months as more consolidating is happening.

In contrast to what Sook is predicting, Harry Jessell of TVNewsCheck gave his own analysis, stating there's big questions to be asked. Including whether how big the company is is better.

HulkieD, on 09 May 2013 - 14:39, said:

Can you tell me what I'm supposed to be stunned by? That's basically every non-network station group with the exception of Gannett. I'm sure EVERYONE'S made phone calls and/or kicked the tires. I mean, it's the ABC affiliate in market #9. Those don't go on the block every day.

And of the groups, we already knew that ABC was one of the top candidates, but probably only for WJLA. And they do present a Bob Iger quote that basically throws the local stations under the bus. That's why I don't think ABC buying WJLA is a slam dunk. Again, it all goes back to that Disney mentality under Iger. You can buy a television station group and grow your reach... or you can buy Marvel and build a Scrooge McDuck-style vault so you can swim in all the god damn cash you're going to make. If this is a decision that has to be made by Iger, I'm not sure he'd say yes.

Sinclair, Nexstar, and Raycom want to buy all the things. So they have to come up in any discussion. But I'm not sure about their chances because they would have multiple station ownership issues in a lot of markets if they get the whole group. LIN is freshly capitalized and probably wants to grow. Hearst and Belo are outside shots, I think. It's out of Belo's footprint, and neither they nor Hearst has been known to make big transactions.

SCRIPPS, however... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think they're the most likely to get the whole group, and the second most likely to get WJLA and possibly the Birmigham trio if ABC passes. It fits into their portfolio - they're an ABC heavy group, they won't have issues in most of their markets, and they've shown they can establish synergy reasonably fast with the MGH purchase.

The one thing I assume folks here would be stunned, because it stunned me were not the possible station groups (which would look like it is the case). But it was the comments from Bob Iger himself. But I almost forgot he's running The Walt Disney Company, not just ABC. It looks like he cares more about catering to young folks who watches The Disney Channel, whoever goes to their establishments in Lake Buena Vista & Anaheim on a daily basis, and moreso care about ESPN than running a TV station, as he's basically saying that it is a slowing and he might as well say a dying business. Despite what Iger said, I still love to see ABC acquiring WJLA. But I (would be pissed but) wouldn't hold my breath if doesn't happen. ABC will still be one of the healthiest station group companies in the nation.

I still can't get the fact that some of you still think that ABC would want to buy WBMA. I can't see ABC breaking the bank in owning that property. To tell you the truth, it looks like that station is ran by one of the smaller owner stations like Hoak or Max Media.

Scripps would be a dominate force in the DC-B'more region should they acquire WJLA, while they already have low-rated WMAR. I would love to see a adjacent-affiliate promotion, similar to what WCIA/WMBD in Illinois use to do many years ago, prior to the Nexstar acquisition. But if Scripps get the whole thing, the question remains if they're going to keep either KJRH or KTUL. They would have to divest one of them. But even though they do have KERO, I don't think they'll snag all of the stations. I think they'll pull away with just WBMA & KATV.

I am shocked that the article didn't state a certain Minnesota company, which already have radio there. Someone commented on that article that one of the execs from there was there prior to the Robert Allbritton announcement. And this certain company was willing to buy the Trib stations should they want to sell? Many analysts have missed the Hubbard family badly and should they get WJLA, this will stun the whole industry.

Now, a few other things to make the post longer.You forgot one minor detail.

ABC didn't buy Capital Cities. Capital Cities bought ABC, at the latter's behest - Leonard Goldenson didn't want ABC ending up with a General Electric or a Tisch, so he called Tom Murphy and Dan Burke and asked them to buy the network. Oh, and as he was asking, he had Warren Buffett on a plane headed to CapCities with a couple of billion dollars. (Contrary to legend, the profits from WPVI didn't fuel the sale - Berkshire Hathaway money did.)

Keep in mind, the ownership caps were actually caps back then, and they ended up selling four stations to get under. New Haven was probably too close to NYC to get a waiver, so TNH went. WFTS was an independent they'd just bought, and that wouldn't fit into the new plan, so that was sold off. They had to lose one of their big ones regardless. WXYZ and, big shock, WPVI were the two stations at risk. WPVI was also close enough to NYC that they'd need a waiver to own, but CBS had owned channel 10 for decades and was doing just fine. Using that precedent, they were able to keep their most important station, and Detroit was sold to Scripps. Buffalo, I think, went because they would still be a little over the percentage cap - Fresno would put them under. So the smaller market won.

Keep in mind, the television station division is still very much built on the foundation of Capital Cities. When the circle-7s were brought into the fold, they transitioned to more of an Action News style. (WABC more or less picked up the format WPVI was using, including the cheesy promos.)Bingo. ABC realized long ago that it's better to be a smaller, more efficient network group with a top-market concentration than a sprawling network of stations around the country. Plus, it's allowed them to give resources to every station. Yeah, they might own eight stations, but they are a commanding #1 or at least in the running for the top spot in almost all of them.

ABC doesn't have a central graphics "hub" anymore. For years, they did. The ABC Video Design Group was behind the looks of all of the O&Os from approximately the mid-80s onward to 2004. They were pretty good at their peak - they did the CapCities Chrome design of the 1980s that remains one of my all-time favorites.

I didn't forget that detail. I said "when it merged with Capital Cities", I never said ABC bought Capital Cities. I'm aware of the Capital Cities Communications acquisition of ABC in 1985, but it was a "merger" like Westinghouse acquired CBS.

Archived