NBC 5 Set Tweak

NBC 5 Chicago

So I caught the end of the 6pm and noticed that the took two of the TV monitors out of the wall behind the anchor desk. They are the ones on the ends and they inserted a blue graphics panel. Not sure if I like this and hope this is temporary. I find it odd though during sweeps.

Like I said in the shout box, all 5 screens were blue during the 4:30pm and (at least most of) the 5pm shows. They could've been having problems with the camera and/or connections, or they could be playing around with the displays just for giggles. I will say though, two outermost screens having the skyline is rather pointless. When they shows up in the weather or sport anchor shots, the view of the street is angled and distorted (obviously), spoiling the illusion. Having some other element on-screen isn't a terrible idea.

So the video screen started small, got bigger, then got smaller again. They just can't decide what they want.

I will say, the video monitor taking up the entirety of the 4-person shot did look bad since the outside video wasn't in crystal clear HD (especially noticeable at night).

Just caught the 5PM newscast and everything is back to normal. Back of the blue screens for a second. They look like removable blue panels and not something digitally added in. Nevertheless, there could have just been something wrong with the monitors and nothing more. Who knows???

That set has been going through a metamorphosis ever since it debuted. Maybe they will change that god-awful desk next.

Just curious, what do you think it wrong with the desk. I'm indifferent towards it, mostly because I hardly watch WMAQ's newscasts. (You can guess whose newscast I watch more from my avatar.)

Just curious, what do you think it wrong with the desk. I'm indifferent towards it, mostly because I hardly watch WMAQ's newscasts. (You can guess whose newscast I watch more from my avatar.)

It seems haphazardly thrown together with a variety of shapes. I prefer my news desks to be uniform and symmetrical.

Archived