PIX 11 News Changes

nynewslover

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes there was a VERY slight update to the L3s today..they still are not good tho.

By the way today is the "13th Birthday" of the morning news heres a throwback...

http://pix11.com/2013/06/04/pix-2000-flashback-the-first-11-minutes-of-wb11-morning-news-premiere/#axzz2VM3lYspT

Did they post this just to remind people they used to have an actual news program and not the joke they have running now???

Did they post this just to remind people they used to have an actual news program and not the joke they have running now???

I don't know about that, but if what they are running nowadays (not just in the mornings, but at night as well) is supposed to be a joke, then NO ONE is laughing (except, perhaps, the competition).

When Bill Carey wrecked the Channel 11 news operation, I believe that he was going for more flash and less substance (like FOX 5). It failed miserably. I believe that if Channel 11 is going to be relevant again, much less competitive, they need to be the exact opposite of FOX 5. They need to be who they were before.

That's true in many senses. However, the ratings "before" wasn't cutting it at all, and adding to that was the takeover by Mr. Poopdeck Pappy, Sam Zell, who wants the station to be more "cool and hip" so, that didn't cut it at all. Was the hiring of Carey controversial, by a long shot, yes! The damage is done at PIX.

However, will the new news director retool PIX11 and make it more news-worthy? If it means letting go of Tamsen (who looks like Teresa from the Real Housewives) then yes.

That's true in many senses. However, the ratings "before" wasn't cutting it at all, and adding to that was the takeover by Mr. Poopdeck Pappy, Sam Zell, who wants the station to be more "cool and hip" so, that didn't cut it at all. Was the hiring of Carey controversial, by a long shot, yes! The damage is done at PIX.

However, will the new news director retool PIX11 and make it more news-worthy? If it means letting go of Tamsen (who looks like Teresa from the Real Housewives) then yes.

As bad as things are at WPIX, past and present, this does not help..... http://newyorkmedia.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/channel-11-wins-its-own-game-of-pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey/#more-544

WOW, that's a bad typo, or whatever it should be called. Sometimes, I wonder if they don't do this on purpose. The person who writes the lower ticker makes so spelling mistakes, it's unbelievable. I notice one or two, almost every night.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg is it me or are the sidebars on the background oddly familiar (especially if you watch a competing station.?

One of my east coast friends and I noticed this a few weeks ago. Is WNYW just not paying attention or is PIX paying for the right to use this (Which wouldn't make sense because PIX and WNYW are in direct competition)?

I almost think it's time to shut'er down for a few months and regroup. Wait a few months and relaunch as "11 News New York" or something and just start over entirely. Take those few months focus entirely on coming up with something new that people will actually watch.

I almost think it's time to shut'er down for a few months and regroup. Wait a few months and relaunch as "11 News New York" or something and just start over entirely. Take those few months focus entirely on coming up with something new that people will actually watch.

I agree. Throw on Judge Judy and Friends re-runs for a month or two and get everything together behind the scenes (this wont happen though.)

Here's my opinion.. They don't really need to shut down.. They can easily work and continue to do what they do for now.. I mean how hard is it to produce what they are?

-They need to go on to a temporary set and rebuild a whole new one.. Along with all new graphics and music.

- The early morning needs 2 anchors ( Kirstin Cole and Craig Treadway?) or move Tamsen back to mornings and less Lionel

- Suki and Frances need to either time it down or be separated cause they're pretty obnoxious.

-More news!

-Tamsen needs a co anchor and personally it needs to be an outsider.. Cause there is really no one I see being promoted.

-instead of having a 5:00 they should do a 7:00 and 10:00 I personally think that would do great or maybe even keep the 5:00 and just add the 7. And the morning news really doesn't need to start at 4:00 just saying

They should do this all by September a fresh new start for the fall

Here's my opinion.. They don't really need to shut down.. They can easily work and continue to do what they do for now.. I mean how hard is it to produce what they are?

-They need to go on to a temporary set and rebuild a whole new one.. Along with all new graphics and music.

- The early morning needs 2 anchors ( Kirstin Cole and Craig Treadway?) or move Tamsen back to mornings and less Lionel

- Suki and Frances need to either time it down or be separated cause they're pretty obnoxious.

-More news!

-Tamsen needs a co anchor and personally it needs to be an outsider.. Cause there is really no one I see being promoted.

-instead of having a 5:00 they should do a 7:00 and 10:00 I personally think that would do great or maybe even keep the 5:00 and just add the 7. And the morning news really doesn't need to start at 4:00 just saying

They should do this all by September a fresh new start for the fall

PIX11 would be the only proverbial (broadcast) game in town with a 7p newscast. Also, such a program would be sort of another "throwback" element at the station.

Any ideas as to whom you'd like to see brought over to join Tamsen Fadal at 5/7 and 10, if she should stay on the evening programs?

Or, how about a midday newscast with Fadal and Marvin Scott, and new pairs at 5/7 and 10?

[Poster's note: the slash means "or," i.e., 5p OR 7p.]

I registered here just to express my disappointment with PIX 11 News. I'm aware of how Bill Carey wrecked the PIX 11 News, but after watching tonight I remain disgusted even months after Carey has left. They're still using that horrible music, and that horrible set. They still do the silly twitter thing, and the commentaries from Mendte and Lionel are more suited for Sunday morning roundtables than a nightly newscast. With ratings continuing to tumble (and activity on the PIX 11 FB is down too) it's obvious less are watching. It's not just the set, Tamsen (pretty much everything), but the constant mistakes. Tonight I was watching and saw them roll the wrong story for the SUNY Downstate Hospital protest against closing (and this almost 40 min in to the newscast), then they come back after a commercial break and roll it, and it's a pretty serious story with ppl talking about patients being moved to other hospitals and ambulances being turned away, and when the story ends they fade to Mr.G and Tamsen laughing. This is major market TV? It's a joke. And I found their whole attitude offensive. I feel like filing a complaint with the FCC. If the mgmt at PIX read this just CAN THE WHOLE THING. Maybe the other poster was right about taking a break and retooling. The answer is simple, go back to what works. Tamsen doesn't belong on evening news, she's really just a brunette Applegate. Get Jim back with Kaity or use the weekend setup. Ditch the set, go back to the old music, "live from the news building", it's what worked in the past. Am I the only who thinks station mgmt wants to hold onto Carey's legacy?

I have to agree with Pinevision. I can not see this group handling a major news story in a serious manner. They do not come across with any authority. The Mr G/Tamsen interactions, questioning her what she does privately is borderline creepy. Far too much laughing. They seem to promote more the Help ME Howard segments than the newscast, which they air far too often and takes up too much of the newscast. They need a couple of strong dominate male, low key presenters, in fact they need anyone that doesn't seems to be ready to break out laughing.

It is also oblivious that they have no one there after 8pm to develop a breaking news story - they usually give a brief description and then tell you follow up on the morning newscast.

Mr G - stop with sound effects and cheap cartoon graphics - turkey sounds, baseball bats. - You are not talking to your third grade class.

I enjoy the Mendte and Lionel comments, but not within the newscast, but after, like the old Richard N. Hughes comments during the 80's .

And the set has to go - it only adds to the lack of authority

I registered here just to express my disappointment with PIX 11 News. I'm aware of how Bill Carey wrecked the PIX 11 News, but after watching tonight I remain disgusted even months after Carey has left. They're still using that horrible music, and that horrible set. They still do the silly twitter thing, and the commentaries from Mendte and Lionel are more suited for Sunday morning roundtables than a nightly newscast. With ratings continuing to tumble (and activity on the PIX 11 FB is down too) it's obvious less are watching. It's not just the set, Tamsen (pretty much everything), but the constant mistakes. Tonight I was watching and saw them roll the wrong story for the SUNY Downstate Hospital protest against closing (and this almost 40 min in to the newscast), then they come back after a commercial break and roll it, and it's a pretty serious story with ppl talking about patients being moved to other hospitals and ambulances being turned away, and when the story ends they fade to Mr.G and Tamsen laughing. This is major market TV? It's a joke. And I found their whole attitude offensive. I feel like filing a complaint with the FCC. If the mgmt at PIX read this just CAN THE WHOLE THING. Maybe the other poster was right about taking a break and retooling. The answer is simple, go back to what works. Tamsen doesn't belong on evening news, she's really just a brunette Applegate. Get Jim back with Kaity or use the weekend setup. Ditch the set, go back to the old music, "live from the news building", it's what worked in the past. Am I the only who thinks station mgmt wants to hold onto Carey's legacy?

I wouldn't be surprised if the station wants to hold on to a legacy of failure. The mistake that Tribune made was only replacing the news director. The general manager, Eric Meyrowitz, needs to go as well, which I have been saying all along. The GM allowed Bill Carey to wreck the news operation, and despite plummeting ratings, he kept him in the fold.

Tribune has given both Meyrowitz and new news director Mark Effron a mandate to turn things around. What Meyrowitz should have been given instead was his walking papers.

I have to agree with Pinevision. I can not see this group handling a major news story in a serious manner. They do not come across with any authority. The Mr G/Tamsen interactions, questioning her what she does privately is borderline creepy. Far too much laughing. They seem to promote more the Help ME Howard segments than the newscast, which they air far too often and takes up too much of the newscast. They need a couple of strong dominate male, low key presenters, in fact they need anyone that doesn't seems to be ready to break out laughing.

It is also oblivious that they have no one there after 8pm to develop a breaking news story - they usually give a brief description and then tell you follow up on the morning newscast.

Mr G - stop with sound effects and cheap cartoon graphics - turkey sounds, baseball bats. - You are not talking to your third grade class.

I enjoy the Mendte and Lionel comments, but not within the newscast, but after, like the old Richard N. Hughes comments during the 80's .

And the set has to go - it only adds to the lack of authority

I agree wholeheartedly.

Archived