WNCN New Graphics

tyrannical bastard

WNCN in Raleigh-Durham has debuted the graphics on their newscast that they've been using on their facebook page and on their website since February.

This package is a radical departure from the current graphics Media General has been using on their other stations...aside from the font that is in the newer versions in their graphics.

My only critique is what appears to be the use of Arial on their news lower thirds and fullscreens...it doesn't match the rest of the package.

If anyone has any screengrabs or happens to pick up on this, post em! I can only see this through their live stream, in glorious 4x3 stretch-o-vision!

WNCN in Raleigh-Durham has debuted the graphics on their newscast that they've been using on their facebook page and on their website since February.

This package is a radical departure from the current graphics Media General has been using on their other stations...aside from the font that is in the newer versions in their graphics.

My only critique is what appears to be the use of Arial on their news lower thirds and fullscreens...it doesn't match the rest of the package.

If anyone has any screengrabs or happens to pick up on this, post em! I can only see this through their live stream, in glorious 4x3 stretch-o-vision!

Are they still using the JDK music?

Watching the live stream right now. I like the new graphics. It's clean and a step up from their previous ones, though they could've done better with the typeface on the lower thirds (the typeface on the weather graphics looks better).

Awww, DIZAMN.

Really does look nice, except for the lowers, which can easily be fixed (Gotham possibly wasn't loaded in, I suspect). Very stunned to see this level of work coming out of Media General, as their graphics have been fairly basic until now. Selling those papers must be paying off for them...

TVNewsCheck wrote an article about the rebranding of "NBC17" to "WNCN"

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/67114/wncn-emphasizes-local-in-new-branding

Stephen Arnold is a part of this rebranding....could they be slowly re-introducing music to their stations?

Prior to the implementation of the JDK package, they had music at most of their stations until the SESAC fiasco.

• 2 weeks later...

All MG stations are getting the package similar to WCMH. There are 3 versions: Red (seen on WCMH, WSAV and WAGT), Red and Blue (seen on WJHL and WJTV) and Blue (seen on WJAR, WNCT, WCBD). WNCN is a custom package. All stations are also dumping the JDK music for the new Stephen Arnold cut. Also have heard that a few stations will roll out the package after the current sweeps period ends at the end of the month (so around early to mid June).

Had a chance to see WBTW with the new look today and yesterday. They've had the new graphics for months, but it looks REALLY well-executed, especially paired with the new music. Complete with talent intros too. Not sure if it looks that good on the other smaller MG stations.

• 2 weeks later...
Awww, DIZAMN.

Really does look nice, except for the lowers, which can easily be fixed (Gotham possibly wasn't loaded in, I suspect). Very stunned to see this level of work coming out of Media General, as their graphics have been fairly basic until now. Selling those papers must be paying off for them...

Watching their live stream now, the lower thirds now have the same Gotham-esque font Media General has been rolling out to their stations.

All MG stations are getting the package similar to WCMH. There are 3 versions: Red (seen on WCMH, WSAV and WAGT), Red and Blue (seen on WJHL and WJTV) and Blue (seen on WJAR, WNCT, WCBD). WNCN is a custom package. All stations are also dumping the JDK music for the new Stephen Arnold cut. Also have heard that a few stations will roll out the package after the current sweeps period ends at the end of the month (so around early to mid June).

This leaves WJBF, WKRG, WVTM and WRBL (still in SD) with the old look and music. Hopefully that will change soon.

WJBF is a sticking point since sister station WAGT has the red look (although they could install the blue look to complement it).

Archived