The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Meanwhile, I have the ABC O&O whose official stance on using the right ABC logo is "f*** it".

Seriously, WPVI uses their own version of the glossy ABC logo in their opens and live-generated 3D logos. It's been that way since 2010.

Pretty much everything else utilizes the 2007 iteration of the logo. With two exceptions. The first is the print ads for ABC shows, which I'm sure are done by ABC itself, not 6. (Before they switched to the circle-6, those ads used a version of the 1997 6ABC logo with the entire thing - including the 6 - given the black glossy treatment. It looked really damn cool.) The other exception is the debate WPVI produced itself co-produced with WABC, which is the first and only time I've seen the new ABC logo used on air with the 6. It looks weird.

As a result of that I find the worrying about WLS' logo consistency, well, consistently hilarious. Seriously. If 6ABC is okay with using at least three different versions of the ABC logo, then I am too.

Besides. We all know that the damn ABC logo should be red in the first place. Or transparent like in the 1993-96 ABC idents, also known as the best f***ing idents to ever air on US television ever.

Get the fuck out of here!! OMG, I'm stunned.

Personally, I wanted to see the name back. It's the history and legacy of the station. But for another sense, many folks for 17 years have gotten use to the "ABC 7 News" brand. When the brand first was used, IIRC, it was to not to be so divided, from the news brand with the overall brand. Prior to '96, it was "Channel 7" for the main brand and "Eyewitness News" for the news brand.

What I'm not impressed about is back to what I was saying earlier in this thread, that I'm getting the impression that both Idler & Miles are trying to eliminate the station's customized element that the station has already have, and trying to clone or bring some elements like the other O&Os. Yes, they both came from that other ABC O&O in the Triangle, but they need to realized that this is Chicago, and it has to treated differently. And when you do sudden changes, you have to worry about the impact of its viewers.

Again, its great to bring back the Eyewitness News name. In fact, in a sense, the format never left when they drop the name. But I'm hoping that this doesn't end the 21-year run News Series 2000 Plus, as a result. If they care about the historical overtones and legacies, then they wouldn't let go of this iconic theme.

Well. I guess the question about new graphics has an answer....

Details are still under wraps, but Idler said the new branding “will be incorporated appropriately throughout the station,” including show opens, graphics and advertising... Asked about the timing of the move, Idler said it was “driven by a desire to freshen up the look of the station.” It also comes as ABC 7 is battling to retain its status as the top-rated news operation in the market. After more than a quarter-century of local news dominance, its margins of victory have been shrinking and, in some key demographics, have evaporated.

While many think Idler is killing WLS, I agree with him saying, WLS needed to be refreshed. Again, while many of you think the future is dim for WLS, I think it is very bright.

Let it go on the record, I'm curious, excited, and cautiously optimistic. I'm just pleased that this appears to be a long thought-out process, versus something rushed and ultimately sloppy.

I'm not going to make a big deal about this, seeing as it was under special circumstances, but ABC7's Frank Mathie just ended a live shot with "Frank Mathie, Channel 7 Eyewitness News". He was giving a preview for the station-sponsored Leukemia walk that honors late reporter Jim Gibbons, who died from the disease in 1994 (when the Eyewitness News branding was still in place). It all still made me do a double take

Crap, I'm good.

I also had made this up a few months ago for fun...

ewn_zps8a6ab3bc.png

[yt]_JaRObcLsds[/yt]

I remember when you did that. You used it as an avatar I think back in the Spring. I actually like that graphic that you made. It's more of a modified version of the previous EWN logo. But it's safe to say that they won't be using that.

I prefer "Channel 7 Eyewitness News" over "ABC 7 Eyewitness News". But I think the latter will be used. I found it shocking when WABC brought it back, but I tend to love them using their current brand.

I know I've stated this many times on this board. But let me reiterated what I said about the sentiment.

One can argue, the change of music isn't the reason why folks are watching the news. But for a station that's been using the same theme song, and not using any specific updates from the theme (except for the 2001 morning theme update), it's in the viewer's consciousness who continues to watch the station's newscasts on a daily and consistent basis. What I think Idler & Miles are doing is trying to meddle with that element and try to sneak some element that's been used by the other O&Os.

Yes, WLS have been using the ABC O&O Theme in several instances for the last decade, but it has never used on any openings, bumpers or closes in the newscasts. But I just can't see any those themes being used that fit their current content of WLS's newscasts. But recently, there have been several small tweaks to the content, especially those "pop-up" graphics used on a constant basis, i.e. "New at 4", "New at 5", "New at 6", "Breaking News" (even when it's not all that breaking", "Developing Story", "ABC 7 Exclusive", etc. etc. It's almost like they want to tinker with the content so it could possibly well fit with some new elements or possibly fit a possible newer graphics package.

Some of y'all say the future is "bright". What kind of bright are you talking about when you strip the historical overtones and try to strip away the already iconic identity, individuality, locality and creativity & style of the station? Anyone can say, "Ah they need a refresh their look, it's getting stale". I'm not debating any graphic or set changes. It'll probably be a hard process of getting a new set, without doing a temp set, probably upstairs at the 3rd floor, where they did their news prior to going downstairs. Anywho, I'm not debating those. But I don't like those new graphics that are highly animated like the new KABC & WTVD graphics. I don't like those.

But the only element i'd care mostly about through all of this is their current use of its music, that I think it's just as iconic and just as big as MCTYW on WPVI and Chroma Cues on WJZ. What would've happen if Idler come and possibly get rid of MCTYW for the same theme the other station on the other side of the Turnpike is using, you wouldn't think the "PVI-effect" would make a repeat, like 17 years ago? My point you look at WLS and WPVI & WJZ, WTOC. But then I've seen what happen to WCSH & KARE 11 & KTVU and the others that had a longtime theme song being dropped after over a longtime of usage. Not just the familiarity of a theme song, also the longevity of the theme song is powerful. Many stations are use to seeing theme song changes left and right for a short period of time. They change just for the sake of it. But I come to embrace the stations that used their theme songs for a decade and longer because it means a whole lot not only to the station, but the viewers that watches the station everyday. News Series 2000 Plus, and I said News Series 2000 Plus, not that "S"-word name that Gari is now calling it for the WLS rejected theme. He'll we don't know what plans Miles & Idler is going to do for the EWN rebrand. But like I said, while I should be jubilating about the return of EWN, I'm feeling more worried, and I had that feeling six years ago, when talk of an updated NS2000+ came about, that this would be a time that News Series 2000 Plus would end its run on WLS.

If you ask me if I like the return of Eyewitness News, I wished the Eyewitness News name never left in November of 1996, but like I stated, it was the stations way to not divide the news brand with the overall brand. I still wished they kept the name because the format shows that Eyewitness News never left WLS. But in Dumbo Idler's sence, he probably have different reasons why he want to name to come. I have a feeling he's want to do so, so that he would finally end the stallmate of having that differentiation from all the other O&Os and try to finally be like the others. I just hope they don't follow an ultimatum and drop the longtime News Series 2000 Plus.

Mrtraveler01 made this valid point earlier:

There are some pros and cons to making dramatic changes like WLS is planning.

On the one hand you have the chance to attract new viewers to your station, but the con is that it could be at the expense of your loyal viewers who may not be happy with the new changes.

WLS needs to be careful with how much they change because even something simple as moving the time of a program can cost your station viewers, let alone a whole imaging/branding revamp.

To reiterate what he said is, while you want to get new viewers (predominently younger viewers), you're at a risk of alienating your longtime loyal viewers. Do they even care at this point? You can let it past Dumbo Idler or his sidekick Curtis Miles. Ever since Idler step foot 190 North State Street 16 months ago, it's been all hell from the jump. He get rid of weekly show 190 North, you get rid of longtime CSD Tom Hebel, He fired Sylvia, and he tries to slowly incorporate his own elements or bring some elements that would alter or eliminate the local feel and historical overtones of the station. This was probably his plan from the get-go. And because all of that I'm extremely pissed. And I said this earlier in this thread, since all he's done these last 16 months, anything that he executes would not be good in my eyes. So I don't hope for the best of him. Until I see anything that would benefit the station, and honoring the historical elements and the traditions and legacies of the stations, I call a spade a spade to Mr. John Idler. And I still call him the NEW Joe Ahern of this market. If he does the ultimatum and pull the plug on News Series 2000 Plus, this would be his worst move since being there. Talk about a catastrophic move, should that ever occurs, and I hope a "PVI-effect" happens as well.

But my biggest point I want to make is that, while many are entitled to their own opinions, I'm highly offended by some who are making hypothesis in speculating the end of News Series 2000 Plus on Channel 7. While many of you think because new people are at the station and y'all think its a foregone conclusion, I continue to have hope. And hope is all I have at this point and that's how I feel. While many of y'all probably want to see something new on WLS and probably want to see WLS use things the O&Os use, I despise it. In fact about it, I cringe when I hear people say, why not are they're using that theme used by the other O&Os. Just because this station is not using that other ABC theme, doesn't mean you have too. Everyone loves a theme tune that they are familiar with. When people come to Chicago, they know they here that familiar tune. None of them are familiar with those themes that are or have been used in NY & LA or the countless other ABC affiliates. Like I said, just because WLS is not using them, doesn't mean they have to.

So In closing, I'm thrilled that the Eyewitness News name will return. That's a historic overtone of its own. But if the inevitability happens, those dumbos who are running the station to the ground better hope their status of being the top station doesn't go with it.

I know I've stated this many times on this board. But let me reiterated what I said about the sentiment.

One can argue, the change of music isn't the reason why folks are watching the news. But for a station that's been using the same theme song, and not using any specific updates from the theme (except for the 2001 morning theme update), it's in the viewer's consciousness who continues to watch the station's newscasts on a daily and consistent basis. What I think Idler & Miles are doing is trying to meddle with that element and try to sneak some element that's been used by the other O&Os.

Yes, WLS have been using the ABC O&O Theme in several instances for the last decade, but it has never used on any openings, bumpers or closes in the newscasts. But I just can't see any those themes being used that fit their current content of WLS's newscasts. But recently, there have been several small tweaks to the content, especially those "pop-up" graphics used on a constant basis, i.e. "New at 4", "New at 5", "New at 6", "Breaking News" (even when it's not all that breaking", "Developing Story", "ABC 7 Exclusive", etc. etc. It's almost like they want to tinker with the content so it could possibly well fit with some new elements or possibly fit a possible newer graphics package.

Some of y'all say the future is "bright". What kind of bright are you talking about when you strip the historical overtones and try to strip away the already iconic identity, individuality, locality and creativity & style of the station? Anyone can say, "Ah they need a refresh their look, it's getting stale". I'm not debating any graphic or set changes. It'll probably be a hard process of getting a new set, without doing a temp set, probably upstairs at the 3rd floor, where they did their news prior to going downstairs. Anywho, I'm not debating those. But I don't like those new graphics that are highly animated like the new KABC & WTVD graphics. I don't like those.

But the only element i'd care mostly about through all of this is their current use of its music, that I think it's just as iconic and just as big as MCTYW on WPVI and Chroma Cues on WJZ. What would've happen if Idler come and possibly get rid of MCTYW for the same theme the other station on the other side of the Turnpike is using, you wouldn't think the "PVI-effect" would make a repeat, like 17 years ago? My point you look at WLS and WPVI & WJZ, WTOC. But then I've seen what happen to WCSH & KARE 11 & KTVU and the others that had a longtime theme song being dropped after over a longtime of usage. Not just the familiarity of a theme song, also the longevity of the theme song is powerful. Many stations are use to seeing theme song changes left and right for a short period of time. They change just for the sake of it. But I come to embrace the stations that used their theme songs for a decade and longer because it means a whole lot not only to the station, but the viewers that watches the station everyday. News Series 2000 Plus, and I said News Series 2000 Plus, not that "S"-word name that Gari is now calling it for the WLS rejected theme. He'll we don't know what plans Miles & Idler is going to do for the EWN rebrand. But like I said, while I should be jubilating about the return of EWN, I'm feeling more worried, and I had that feeling six years ago, when talk of an updated NS2000+ came about, that this would be a time that News Series 2000 Plus would end its run on WLS.

If you ask me if I like the return of Eyewitness News, I wished the Eyewitness News name never left in November of 1996, but like I stated, it was the stations way to not divide the news brand with the overall brand. I still wished they kept the name because the format shows that Eyewitness News never left WLS. But in Dumbo Idler's sence, he probably have different reasons why he want to name to come. I have a feeling he's want to do so, so that he would finally end the stallmate of having that differentiation from all the other O&Os and try to finally be like the others. I just hope they don't follow an ultimatum and drop the longtime News Series 2000 Plus.

Mrtraveler01 made this valid point earlier:

To reiterate what he said is, while you want to get new viewers (predominently younger viewers), you're at a risk of alienating your longtime loyal viewers. Do they even care at this point? You can let it past Dumbo Idler or his sidekick Curtis Miles. Ever since Idler step foot 190 North State Street 16 months ago, it's been all hell from the jump. He get rid of weekly show 190 North, you get rid of longtime CSD Tom Hebel, He fired Sylvia, and he tries to slowly incorporate his own elements or bring some elements that would alter or eliminate the local feel and historical overtones of the station. This was probably his plan from the get-go. And because all of that I'm extremely pissed. And I said this earlier in this thread, since all he's done these last 16 months, anything that he executes would not be good in my eyes. So I don't hope for the best of him. Until I see anything that would benefit the station, and honoring the historical elements and the traditions and legacies of the stations, I call a spade a spade to Mr. John Idler. And I still call him the NEW Joe Ahern of this market. If he does the ultimatum and pull the plug on News Series 2000 Plus, this would be his worst move since being there. Talk about a catastrophic move, should that ever occurs, and I hope a "PVI-effect" happens as well.

But my biggest point I want to make is that, while many are entitled to their own opinions, I'm highly offended by some who are making hypothesis in speculating the end of News Series 2000 Plus on Channel 7. While many of you think because new people are at the station and y'all think its a foregone conclusion, I continue to have hope. And hope is all I have at this point and that's how I feel. While many of y'all probably want to see something new on WLS and probably want to see WLS use things the O&Os use, I despise it. In fact about it, I cringe when I hear people say, why not are they're using that theme used by the other O&Os. Just because this station is not using that other ABC theme, doesn't mean you have too. Everyone loves a theme tune that they are familiar with. When people come to Chicago, they know they here that familiar tune. None of them are familiar with those themes that are or have been used in NY & LA or the countless other ABC affiliates. Like I said, just because WLS is not using them, doesn't mean they have to.

So In closing, I'm thrilled that the Eyewitness News name will return. That's a historic overtone of its own. But if the inevitability happens, those dumbos who are running the station to the ground better hope their status of being the top station doesn't go with it.

freesoapboximage.gif

Seriously, man. Dial it back a little. I too will be really disappointed when/if they dump NS2K+ (more than you think) and I'll have my fair share of choice words on the subject, but we just don't know anything yet. I really do get your point, but nothing's confirmed.

I think the biggest thing for everyone here is to relax because we really don't have that much information. We know they are going to Eyewitness News and "new branding will be incorporated appropriately throughout the station including show opens, graphics and advertising."

That is literally all we know. So the drama about music and staff changes, etc... that is all speculation. What is written above is all we know for sure.

I also made a note of this the EWN thread:

I think we might have a launch day for "Eyewitness News". Effective Saturday, November 2, BOTH weekend morning newscasts (like WMAQ a few months back) will begin at 5am, and Ben Bradley will officially join Stacey Baca on the Saturday morning anchor desk. No word on any whether or not new hire Troy Christensen will play a part on the Sunday morning show, but it's becoming obvious that management is trying to murder Phil Schwarz. With college football in full-swing, the Saturday night news has been ending about midnight, leaving only 5 hours before he'll be back on the air.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/6042-abc-7-to-again-expand-weekend-morning-newscasts

I can't say I didn't see this coming, and the obvious reason behind it. But hey 24994J? I think you called it, Psychic.

Let's see...WLS by November, WGN adds a co-anchor and expands by the new year? LOL

As for the evenings, while many ABC O&Os out east air news for 35 minutes during the college football season, since it ends way past midnight, WLS airs have the news for a full hour anyway. They probably have a full month of college football left in November but I can't see Phil doing the hourly late news (even when it goes back to 10pm when the college football regular season is done for), get a brief snooze at the station, wake up and get ready for 5am. It's a no brainer that Christensen duties need to added on Sunday Mornings. To me it's way better that way. Having Phil doing that even heavier weekend load, as the Saturday overnight gap in between those shows tightens, is nothing short of an overkill. Also Baca's field reporting on Friday Nights at 10pm need to also cease because of same reasons I'd explained about Phil.

Makes me wonder how much sleep do they really get, if they get even enough?

As for the EWN name coming on that date, I'll wait until the station make that confirmation. And.....

I think the biggest thing for everyone here is to relax because we really don't have that much information. We know they are going to Eyewitness News and "new branding will be incorporated appropriately throughout the station including show opens, graphics and advertising."

That is literally all we know. So the drama about music and staff changes, etc... that is all speculation. What is written above is all we know for sure.

So I make my stance on the stance on the station's music and my reason why the music shouldn't cease, while many others here have made their own "speculation" that the current music might ceased upon the rebrand. While he speculated that the EWN name could come on November 2nd, while there's no confirmation on the article that stated the EWN name would happen on that date. So you can't call that speculation?

So in other words, whether y'all call it a soapbox, whether y'all tell me to lighten up, "relax" and "dial it back a little", everybody has speculated so what I stated here, I'm not going to backtrack what I said, whether anyone like it or not, specualation or not.

So Take it for what it's worth. ..And take that to the cleaners. LOL.

So, through programming changes and management moves, Rob Feder is rarely critical of ABC 7...until now. In a rare Friday night posting, Mr. Feder reported on the station's 5 AM weekend morning expansion. The first part of the article is surprisingly blunt and refreshing...

OK, let’s get this straight: First WLS-Channel 7 drops its top-rated 11 a.m. news program after more than 20 years, becoming the only major station in town without a newscast between 9 a.m and 4 p.m. on weekdays.

And now the ABC-owned station adds an hour of news at 5 o’clock in the morning on Saturdays and Sundays, boasting that it offers “the most weekend TV news in Chicago.”

How many actual people want to watch news at 5 a.m. on a Saturday or Sunday is beside the point. It’s all about the advertising revenue that’s available for local news programming. And truth be told, once you take out the cooking segments, the interview segments, the show-biz celebrity segments, the charity fund-raiser segments and the network promo segments, there’s scarcely little news content in those weekend morning shows anyway.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/10/18/abc-7s-early-to-rise-on-weekends/

Sad news from WLS tonight; Hugh Hill, who spent 33 years (1963-96) as the station's political reporter has died. He was 89. Me, being weird like this, find irony in the fact that Mr. Hill's retirement practically coincided with the run of "ABC 7 News". As I recall, the station made the branding switch not long after he left, and will make another within a few weeks.

Story by Frank Mathie:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/chicago_news&id=9292392

There better be something at 10.

9292464_600x338.jpg

Wow. That's really sad. I remember the days as a child seeing his reports. He will surely be missed. RIP Hugh.

As for what Feder said, this is not the first time he said that statement on the first paragraph. He's been critical when the morning numbers dwindled several weeks back. As for the last paragraph, I strongly agree with Feder. Who's watching the 5am news on the weekend? I always that its too early to have the weekend news at that timeslot. As I stated when I first posted my statements after Channel 5 announced its start of the 5am weekend show:

I know many markets have 5am newscasts on the weekends like Los Angeles, Boston & Orlando. But here, I don't think there's that much of a need to have news at that hour on the weekends. Not that its too much of an issue, if anyone that's leaving the Friday graveyard shift, just to watch the news before snoozing when the sun come up, I think its just too early to have news on the weekend.

So what does that mean, will the ABC O&Os out east are going follow WLS's mantra and add a 5am hour on to their weekend news, so they have a three-straight hour news block before GMA? WNEP already have a three hour block from 5-8am/ET.

Remember back like a decade ago, when ABC didn't have any news AT ALL on Saturday Mornings? Wow times surely changed.

You know, I think weekend mornings are blowing up so much because there's really no more wiggle room on the weekdays to expand. Yes, 4am is an option, especially since the network early shows (America This Morning, CBS Morning News, and Early Today) are produced at 3ct, but after that, I'm guessing the employees might step up in protest.

In my opinion, since he's planning on bringing Eyewitness News back BECAUSE of the familiarity Chicagoan's have with the name, I'm comfortable speculating he's kept that in mind with the music-portion of the branding. The News Series logo has been used going on 31 years now, so honestly there would be no reason to bring back an historic name for nostalgia's sake, while getting rid of a music theme that everyone has grown accustomed to just as (if not, more so) equally.

So, I was crunching some numbers this evening and came up with this...

With WBBM's switch to new graphics tonight, the 4 non-WLS stations in town have changed graphics approximately 9.5 times, meaning that 13.5 packages have been used and/or retired since the Hothaus look debuted in June of 2005. That half package represents the mid-cycle refresh (digging out the car lingo) WGN did in 2011, redesigning the L3's and bug, and heavily updating the opens. The others include the tail-end of the WMAQ Novocom package (unless that had already been changed), Look A and Look F, WFLD's in-house package and 3 standard looks, WGN's pre-HD look, and WBBM's blue graphics, 'Heart of Chicago' and two network jobs.

And let this one sink in for a moment. News Series 2000 Plus has outlasted/existed alongside almost THREE DOZEN other themes on the other 4 channels.

Screw it, I'm going bold with this...

BREAKING FIRST on TVNT: New 'Eyewitness News' logo spotted!

The station's 'Big Board' has received a refresh, showing the first preview of the graphics that will likely be in store for WLS within a few weeks (maybe sooner, I don't know). Here are some items of note...

• The layout of the logo (seen at the bottom of the picture) seems to read as 'ABC 7 Eyewitness News', so that's what I'm going to run with until I hear otherwise.
  • The new live bug (seen at top-left) looks to not be a huge departure from the current bug, and does not really resemble anything seen on the other ABC stations.
  • A possible full-screen (seen at right, next to Alan's face) shows the familiar 'ABC 7' logo on an all-blue circle-7 backdrop, not unlike WABC and even parts of the current Hothaus graphics.
  • No RED is visible, which would seem to debunk the idea of WLS getting an update similar to WABC, though the New York station's new look has yet to be seen in full. However, if what we've been told about WABC's new package is true, then the two stations are not likely to be to look the same.
  • None of this strikes me as being KABC or WTVD's graphics, as well. So, in that regard, I'm beginning to think that WLS' new goods will be an original look.

I'll update things as necessary, and I think we can officially be on 'Eyewitness Newswatch 2013'!

wlseyewitnessnews_zps28061ffb.png

It's happening THIS WEEK. I just saw a preview for an I-Team report on Halloween, and it's using the new graphics, and they look DAMN good.

ABC7EyewitnessNews_zpsd34bb210.jpg?t=1382661429

[yt]Slu-tIj94SM[/yt]

Ok guys, are you ready for the weirdest thing ever? Well, you guys know that ABC 7 is the master of having different people on different newscasts during the same daypart, and you guys know how Mike Caplan does the 4 PM news while Jerry Taft does everything after that, so maybe this won't come as too much a surprise, but in my opinion, this is even weirder than that...

Stacey Baca just announced that Troy will be doing the entire Saturday morning and ALSO the 5 AM hour of the Sunday morning news, and Phil will take over from 6 AM onward.

My question is if Troy is gonna do the 5 AM, why not have him do the 6 AM, too, and let Phil get some rest until 8 at least?

Ok guys, are you ready for the weirdest thing ever? Well, you guys know that ABC 7 is the master of having different people on different newscasts during the same daypart, and you guys know how Mike Caplan does the 4 PM news while Jerry Taft does everything after that, so maybe this won't come as too much a surprise, but in my opinion, this is even weirder than that...

Stacey Baca just announced that Troy will be doing the entire Saturday morning and ALSO the 5 AM hour of the Sunday morning news, and Phil will take over from 6 AM onward.

My question is if Troy is gonna do the 5 AM, why not have him do the 6 AM, too, and let Phil get some rest until 8 at least?

It's obvious why Phil can't do the 5am on Sunday Mornings, unless you want him to look like a zombie. But here's an easy question. Why can't Troy do the entire 4-hour Sunday morning broadcast too? Yes, Phil has done the Sunday Mornings since it's inception, but damn. Phil needs a break at least.

That makes tons and tons of sense. Yes there are other weather anchors/meterologist at do the entire weekend newscasts morning and evenings in other markets, but when there's a gap between, the late evening Saturday to the very early morning Sunday, something's got to give.