The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

They are getting really sloppy...

Yeah, forget the silly blizzard backdrop or the anchor portals to hell. Solving the spelling errors and mistakes like these should be a priority, and that's what the bloggers should be calling out most often.

Yeah, forget the silly blizzard backdrop or the anchor portals to hell. Solving the spelling errors and mistakes like these should be a priority, and that's what the bloggers should be calling out most often.

Those other things are downright inexcusable... 5 is coming and 7 doesn't know what to do...

WLS is quickly becoming the weakest of the four remaining original circle 7's quality wise... Even the lowly 5th circle 7 can tell the difference between LaQuan McDonald and Ronald McDonald...

• Like 3

They are getting really sloppy...

Something tells me there's something bigger going on here. This 'so-called' error and the Blackhawks one (instead of 'Blackhawks Win'..graphic read.. 'Blacks Win') from last year seem intensional. It's as if some person (or people) want to embarrass the station for some reason. I could be wrong, but something seems a little too fishy to me.

Something tells me there's something bigger going on here. This 'so-called' error and the Blackhawks one (instead of 'Blackhawks Win'..graphic read.. 'Blacks Win') from last year seem intensional. It's as if some person (or people) want to embarrass the station for some reason. I could be wrong, but something seems a little too fishy to me.

You do have to wonder. Dare I say, whoever's punching in the graphics and stuff should be dispensable enough that they could be replaced or properly reprimanded. That said, given the various times of day, I doubt these are the mistakes of just one person.

Friday's incident came close (really, really, really close), but I still think WGN still has the "Worst OTS Ever" trophy.

nazi-badge.jpg

You do have to wonder. Dare I say, whoever's punching in the graphics and stuff should be dispensable enough that they could be replaced or properly reprimanded. That said, given the various times of day, I doubt these are the mistakes of just one person.

They run Ignite - some producer or director creates a graphic using the Viz plugin in the rundown and it's not checked until it's cued for air.

They run Ignite - some producer or director creates a graphic using the Viz plugin in the rundown and it's not checked until it's cued for air.

That's when you put a system in place where it must be verified by at least 1 other person... Just a thought...

• Like 1

That's when you put a system in place where it must be verified by at least 1 other person... Just a thought...

Literally. One. Person. Don't tell me there isn't a competent grad coming out of Columbia or Northwestern that's so desperate to get in the bid that they'll work for peanuts checking graphics. Makes no sense.

Ironically, though, they might not have caught flack from this if they'd have used a Burger King logo, instead. Those familiar with the ordeal last fall know what I'm talking about.

According to Feder, Magers read a standard apology at 5 last night, and while that might not do anything for future incidents, it's about all they could do to make up for this error.

• Like 1

But even with an automated system, there is a human being involved in prompting the actions that occur. What appears to be happening is that whomever is running the system isn't checking things along the way. They just say the hell with it and just keep pushing things through/pressing the button.

Automation aside, there still some idiot in the graphics dept. that keeps making these kind of mistakes. I'm just surprised no one higher up the ladder hasn't taken more preventive action to stop these mistakes from occurring.

• Like 1

Automation aside, there still some idiot in the graphics dept. that keeps making these kind of mistakes. I'm just surprised no one higher up the ladder hasn't taken more preventive action to stop these mistakes from occurring.

I'm not even sure if the graphic/CSD department would be used in making generic chyrons / OTS is images are already in the database (like a McDonalds logo).

That's probably a producer.. Still you'd think you get 2 sets of eyes on it...

My bet is there were 2 files to pick from...

MCDONALDS

and...

MCDONALDS1

The first file was the stock logo,

and the second file was the in-house created file for the proper story.

The producer selected the wrong file...and never looked back.

Lazy.

• Like 2

Some things he does it's amazing he gets away with...

If you saw the tweet, I'm like 75% sure there's some additional context that gives that word a different meaning...I think. Otherwise, I'd imagine it would've been deleted, at the very least.

Remember a few months ago when I mentioned that augmented reality elements were going to be introduced to the weathercasts? Well...

While they don't say what's in-store, the fancy graphics were my first guess when the promos were running every 30 minutes last night. NewscastStudio agrees... http://www.newscaststudio.com/2016/02/29/chicago-abc-readying-augmented-reality-wx-source/

So long as the people making the OTS graphics aren't involved, this sounds like it could be some harmless fun.

My bet is there were 2 files to pick from...

MCDONALDS

and...

MCDONALDS1

The first file was the stock logo,

and the second file was the in-house created file for the proper story.

The producer selected the wrong file...and never looked back.

Lazy.

This is the most likely scenario out of anything suggested here (directors making graphics? Really?), but even then, that producer wasn't just picking an OTS image, he/she was also writing the script, making sure it was accurate and readable, finding video to match, having the video edited properly, writing a lower third to go with the VO, adding an anchor cue, worrying about timing and stacking, and many other things. Considering how many cutbacks have happened and how fewer people are working on more newscasts today even in big markets, it's surprising things like this don't make it to air more often.

Remember a few months ago when I mentioned that augmented reality elements were going to be introduced to the weathercasts? Well...

While they don't say what's in-store, the fancy graphics were my first guess when the promos were running every 30 minutes last night. NewscastStudio agrees... http://www.newscaststudio.com/2016/02/29/chicago-abc-readying-augmented-reality-wx-source/

So long as the people making the OTS graphics aren't involved, this sounds like it could be some harmless fun.

could it also mean the doppler radar is changing too?

This is the most likely scenario out of anything suggested here (directors making graphics? Really?), but even then, that producer wasn't just picking an OTS image, he/she was also writing the script, making sure it was accurate and readable, finding video to match, having the video edited properly, writing a lower third to go with the VO, adding an anchor cue, worrying about timing and stacking, and many other things. Considering how many cutbacks have happened and how fewer people are working on more newscasts today even in big markets, it's surprising things like this don't make it to air more often.

Your "cutbacks"

Are my...

"Advances in automation"

Dontcha love management./

You forgot...

Coddling the reporters and anchors.

• Like 1

Feder used your video in a post about this... Kinda cool.

• Like 1