7: Linda & Hosea

6 & 10: Alan & Kathy

I could see this....

4: Ravi & Karen

5: Alan & Cheryl

6: Rob & Kathy

7: Hosea & Linda

10: Alan & Kathy

I don't think they can keep both Ravi and Karen on weekends indefinitely without running the risk of losing one of them in the next 5 years. The 4:30P male anchor spot @ WMAQ is still open (has been for nearly a year) and I'm sure they would jump at the chance to steal Ravi away from WLS.

I could easily see Linda being pushed toward retirement this year, so there's no reason to keep her at 4.

Unfortunately, I just don't see 8 weeknight anchors happening, even if two of them are being eased into feature reporting/retirement (that being the 7pm crew). That has only happened once in the station's history, and even then, back in the hey-day of their dominance, it was an arrangement that lasted for only a few months. (Two points if you can give me the year.) I have a feeling they're not going to be that creative with the afternoon shows, merely replacing Ron at 5 with either Rob or Ravi, elevating that gentleman to primary back-up at 10, unless Krashesky gets passed over.

The real fun could really be in the weather department. Yes, Jerry's expected to hand over the 10 sometime this year, though the rumor going around is that he might still retain two newscasts, trading the 10 for either the 4 or 5. If that's the case, I think Phil, Tracy, or even Troy (in that order), are shoe-ins to join the weeknight team...whenever Jerry permanently leaves.

All good things must come to an end. I knew Ron wouldn't want to stick around with Jerry on the way out and Cheryl Scott on the way in. For that matter, I can't see Mark Giangreco too interested anymore now either. Those 3 are kind of a package deal, "the boys club" if you will, all for one and one for all. And sure, Alan should get the job (Ron's). But Emily Barr's not running the show anymore, John Idler is. And if you ask me, with him in charge, the only ones there with a guaranteed bright frontline future are Cheryl Scott, Rob Elgas, Terrell Brown and Tanja Babich.

Linda Yu will be gone soon and let's be real, as soon as that whole WCIU newscast ends (which it will), Hosea Sanders is done too. If Alan's passed over, and I fear he will be, he'll leave as well. So then why keep Kathy Brock? Don't get me wrong, I love Kathy Brock, I'm just thinking like Idler. I love Ravi Baichwal & Karen Jordan too, maybe even more than Ron & Kathy, but if they don't move-up in all this, I can't see them at all happy. But I'm thinking they will. Move up, that is. Just not to the top unfortunately. Rob Elgas will be Ron's replacement at 10, I'm just not sure about who the female will be.

But it won't be Cheryl Burton, she's out! So basically everyone currently on weeknights is gone except for maybe Jim Rose (if they still want 2 evening sports anchors). No, they won't, so bye-bye JR. Just like Cheryl Scott will handle all P.M. weather duties. WCL gets cancelled, midday news returns, and Ryan Chiaverini gets the top sports job. Val Warner joins the free-for-all, as does Judy Hsu, Stacey Baca and Ben Bradley. Tracy Butler gets replaced, Diane Pathieu takes Roz's spot. And BOOM goes the dynamite! So there you have it: John Idler's ABC 7 Eyewitness News! :D

All good things must come to an end. I knew Ron wouldn't want to stick around with Jerry on the way out and Cheryl Scott on the way in. For that matter, I can't see Mark Giangreco too interested anymore now either. Those 3 are kind of a package deal, "the boys club" if you will, all for one and one for all. And sure, Alan should get the job (Ron's). But Emily Barr's not running the show anymore, John Idler is. And if you ask me, with him in charge, the only ones there with a guaranteed bright frontline future are Cheryl Scott, Rob Elgas, Terrell Brown and Tanja Babich.

Linda Yu will be gone soon and let's be real, as soon as that whole WCIU newscast ends (which it will), Hosea Sanders is done too. If Alan's passed over, and I fear he will be, he'll leave as well. So then why keep Kathy Brock? Don't get me wrong, I love Kathy Brock, I'm just thinking like Idler. I love Ravi Baichwal & Karen Jordan too, maybe even more than Ron & Kathy, but if they don't move-up in all this, I can't see them at all happy. But I'm thinking they will. Move up, that is. Just not to the top unfortunately. Rob Elgas will be Ron's replacement at 10, I'm just not sure about who the female will be.

But it won't be Cheryl Burton, she's out! So basically everyone currently on weeknights is gone except for maybe Jim Rose (if they still want 2 evening sports anchors). No, they won't, so bye-bye JR. Just like Cheryl Scott will handle all P.M. weather duties. WCL gets cancelled, midday news returns, and Ryan Chiaverini gets the top sports job. Val Warner joins the free-for-all, as does Judy Hsu, Stacey Baca and Ben Bradley. Tracy Butler gets replaced, Diane Pathieu takes Roz's spot. And BOOM goes the dynamite! So there you have it: John Idler's ABC 7 Eyewitness News! :D

I sense a bit of sarcasm there, but I could totally live in a world where Krashesky (a must-retain), Elgas, Jordan, Hsu, and Baca are the team of the future. Remember back in 1984, Joel Daly was given a lot of perks, including the opportunity to get his law degree in exchange for missing out on the 10, so perhaps similar tactics could be on the table for the current roster, if push comes to shove. Also, whether or not you were serious, I've thought about the idea of calling on Chiaverini over Miller, but he's stated many times that he doesn't miss the travelling involved with the sports beat.

• 3 weeks later...

It's apparently snowing for the first time ever in Chicago, and some new features are being rolled out at the ol' Circle 7 this afternoon. New today is an updated, larger area map bug, now including the time/temp and the station's hashtag. To make room, the school closing text has shifted left out of the safe zone (I guess some cable companies are letterboxing their feed, but my carrier has yet to make such a change). The bar also appears to have dropped a few pixels, not covering the L3's as much as before. Also new is a wintry skyline backdrop on the 7x3, that is remaining through the broadcast. It looks good from a distance, but is a little too vibrant and distracting in a close-up.

CcAyDcBWAAIGGKO.jpg

• Like 1

It's apparently snowing for the first time ever in Chicago, and some new features are being rolled out at the ol' Circle 7 this afternoon. New today is an updated, larger area map bug, now including the time/temp and the station's hashtag. To make room, the school closing text has shifted left out of the safe zone (I guess some cable companies are letterboxing their feed, but my carrier has yet to make such a change). The bar also appears to have dropped a few pixels, not covering the L3's as much as before. Also new is a wintry skyline backdrop on the 7x3, that is remaining through the broadcast. It looks good from a distance, but is a little too vibrant and distracting in a close-up.

CcAyDcBWAAIGGKO.jpg

To me... that bug on the bottom right with a radar loop is pretty clever. I like that.

• Like 2

CcAyDcBWAAIGGKO.jpg

That big is a big improvement over what they were using for severe weather... The school closings ticker still looks horrible...

Usually Feder is on the mark, but he sometimes needs to learn to pick his battles. Lord knows there are things to pick on at ABC 7, this really doesn't need to be one of them. To be fair, though, he probably knows what his readers will respond to, and most of them long for how things were in the 70's.

A panorama of slowly falling snowflakes filled the Chicago skyline behind the anchor desk throughout the ABC-owned station’s newscasts.

But it was all fake.

A cheesy animated graphic of snow was superimposed over a bright blue depiction of the city. Even though there was no real snow falling there at the time — it had all moved south and east by then — the obvious visual message was that Chicago was being blanketed.

At a time when local TV news has been properly faulted for sensationalizing typical winter weather, ABC 7’s manufactured blizzard in the backdrop only added to the absurdity.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/02/24/blizzard-of-hype-abc-7-falls-short-with-fake-snow/

Not one mention of how NBC 5 spent 5 minutes of the 5pm news taking viewers on a virtual test drive, shamelessly plugging the bells and whistles of 'Storm Chaser 5', or how Steve Baskerville on CBS 2 has become a Lonnie Quinn clone, rolling up his sleeves to make the viewers think he's so much more committed to his job and that the sky is falling.

Really, if someone is so stupid to believe that that was a live image, I commend them on their ability to have gotten this far in their life. I know 99.9% of the snow we get doesn't change our atmosphere to a shade of baby blue. Plus, it's not like the station's other backdrops are accurate, either. It's not dusk at 7 and it's not still sunny at 4. There also aren't glassy panes floating through the sky. Are there some numbnuts that have fallen for that, too? And when is someone gonna start bitching that there's no rain in the graphical loop when it's pouring for real?

Seriously, people need to get a grip. rant.gif

• Like 2

Giangreco left a Facebook comment on that article, and it is amazing.

Ha, I called it at 5pm..walked in, saw the big screen & said " hmm,funny how the streets right outside our window are clear but we have 3 feet of snow in the studio".I should've said it on the air. It WAS ridiculous but what I REALLY loved was the newsie from another station jumping in to say "oh yeah, that was unethical"..like he or wouldn't have done it had they thought of it first.We still have the best on air people in town who continue to persevere in spite of all these lame, consultant-driven trends.Just let ME do that stupid stuff in SPORTS! That's MY Schtick!
  • Like 2

Everyone tends to go crazy when it comes to weather. However, WLS probably shouldn't have went with this backdrop for the simple fact that it was distracting. Giangreco was wrong in his rebuttal saying that another station would have done the same thing. The fact is, they (WMAQ or WFLD) didn't. Sometimes you have to own your mistakes, which this clearly was.

Everyone tends to go crazy when it comes to weather. However, WLS probably shouldn't have went with this backdrop for the simple fact that it was distracting. Giangreco was wrong in his rebuttal saying that another station would have done the same thing. The fact is, they (WMAQ or WFLD) didn't. Sometimes you have to own your mistakes, which this clearly was.

Yeah it's pretty over the top... Somebody likes their fancy monitor array too much over there...

And had some bad Botox / plastic surgery. I have no issues with some Botox but at least make it appear somewhat natural - you don't need to take out all the wrinkles. Maybe leave a little bit of crows feet. Necks without wrinkles are signs of plastic surgery.

Does WLS provide make up artists for talent? I'd imagine WABC and Live with Kelly and Michael share make up artists.

And had some bad Botox / plastic surgery. I have no issues with some Botox but at least make it appear somewhat natural - you don't need to take out all the wrinkles. Maybe leave a little bit of crows feet. Necks without wrinkles are signs of plastic surgery.

Does WLS provide make up artists for talent? I'd imagine WABC and Live with Kelly and Michael share make up artists.

It's always a "damned if you, damned if you don't" with people. "Oh, she looks horrible... look at her wrinkled face!" When they try to do something about it, "she doesn't look natural!" Why don't we pay attention to the news and not be so obsessed about how old everyone looks?

• Like 5

It's always a "damned if you, damned if you don't" with people. "Oh, she looks horrible... look at her wrinkled face!" When they try to do something about it, "she doesn't look natural!" Why don't we pay attention to the news and not be so obsessed about how old everyone looks?
I wouldn't have noticed or said anything of the picture wasn't posted to Facebook. Posting something like that just makes it evident that work has been done.

If you want to focus on news go listen to radio...

Side-by-side, one of them has definitely had something done. That said, I think that person looks better now because of it. However, just because it's posted and it may be obvious, that shouldn't open them up for criticism by us armchair news directors. I give Krashesky credit for apparently not being too self-conscious to post it.

Side-by-side, one of them has definitely had something done. That said, I think that person looks better now because of it. However, just because it's posted and it may be obvious, that shouldn't open them up for criticism by us armchair news directors. I give Krashesky credit for apparently not being too self-conscious to post it.

Having some alterations done in TV is part of the game it would seem... Especially if you age poorly. I'm not sure why the fuss over a normal thing...

Weak.

Looks are important on a visual medium. I'm just pointing out a ridiculous double standard.

And I'm pointing out that it's not a double standard.. It's a visual medium... Looks are everything... That's why they redo the graphics and sets... If it didn't matter they could and would save millions on everything they do to keep it current. Talent is no different... There'd be less need to look half your age if looking good wasn't a qualification...

Anyway...

Harry Porterfield was mentioned on tonight's 6 o'clock news for an award he received today coinciding with Black History Month. While I can't imagine he'd be rejoining the station, it's nice that they're acknowledging the former 24-year employee, now that he is without a station affiliation.

Anyway...

Harry Porterfield was mentioned on tonight's 6 o'clock news for an award he received today coinciding with Black History Month. While I can't imagine he'd be rejoining the station, it's nice that they're acknowledging the former 24-year employee, now that he is without a station affiliation.

I can't imagine him joining either... I think his career is over...

I can't imagine him joining either... I think his career is over...

agreed, but i had an idea on if i were the ND for a senior man like him that i would have offered him a year to year contract and make it favorable to him to where his yearly physical by his personal doctor that if he recommends continuing it gets renewed or make a decision by a certain point on if he wants to renew his contract then he triggers it