The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Ever since Linda's accident and extended leave like two years ago, Judy's been in the 4 o'clock rotation, but the 7pm addition cut a lot of those appearances. Krashesky, Taft, and Scott were the only regulars on tonight. Ron, Hosea, and JR had been off all week. So, when I put it that way, only 4 were off tonight. Karen was probably on her scheduled days off, as she'll usually fill in earlier in the week, with Baca on the back end (generally the same with Rob and Ravi). Frankly, I like that they're more willing to play around with anchor combos and give others a chance to see some higher-rated hours. Under the previous regime, you could predict, to a T, who would show up and when based on who was off.

You just begin to notice these things over time, I guess. I'm good with recognizing patterns.

When the Saturday Morning show started at 6am, Baca would do her live reports at 10pm, the night before. And she would do that for six years (from 2007 until the show expanded more than two years ago).

Still does, from time to time.

Question, does anyone ever recall Ben Bradley anchoring the weekday 10? He pretty much doesn't fill in anymore, so if he was ever going to, it would've already happened. If so, he and Babich (99% sure) are the only anchors to not do the big show.

• Like 6

Why would you have to spell the days out each time? Aren't those graphics on file pre made with the days? It's on a producer I bet and not her. She probably didn't make it.

This is likely one of the many blank weather graphics templates that they (and every other station) have that allows someone to type/insert text. She (or someone else) probably was in a rush and this simply slipped past them. The graphic in question isn't your standard 7 day, Satellite/Radar, etc... one that requires little to no editing, so stuff like this happens.

From CRM:

The Chicago Sun-Times has partnered with WLS-TV/ABC 7 for a new weather page promoting the television station's weather department, and more specifically, meteorologists Jerry Taft and Cheryl Scott. The page in the newspaper is called "ABC 7 First Alert Weather," sharing the branding the television station uses for its forecasts during newscasts. There will also be daily weather forecast videos on the Sun-Times website, found at this link HERE.

From CRM:

The Chicago Sun-Times has partnered with WLS-TV/ABC 7 for a new weather page promoting the television station's weather department, and more specifically, meteorologists Jerry Taft and Cheryl Scott. The page in the newspaper is called "ABC 7 First Alert Weather," sharing the branding the television station uses for its forecasts during newscasts. There will also be daily weather forecast videos on the Sun-Times website, found at this link HERE.

CRM and a few other sources left out the fact that they've had a relationship with the Sun-Times for awhile, only now is it expanding into a more Skilling-esque extravaganza. They've been making videos for them as long, too.

• Like 1

CRM and a few other sources left out the fact that they've had a relationship with the Sun-Times for awhile, only now is it expanding into a more Skilling-esque extravaganza. They've been making videos for them as long, too.

That's what I thought but I couldn't remember exactly what the relationship was... At least there is something new here.

Looks like the 7x3 is busted today. The gold-tinted morning skyline has been used all day today, and it is reallllly out of place at 10. It seems like they can cue up OTS' and such, but there must be a reason for the eternal sunrise.

UPDATE: Monty Burns' solar blocker was activated during the first break.

• Like 1

Do you think Rob Johnson made a mistake going over to CBS 2 instead of sticking with ABC 7, and could of moved up into a daytime role either morning or evening? Watching CBS 2 News in the evening it just missing so many elements, and there no chemistry with Rob & Irika. However there was chemistry w/ Rob & Kate.

Do you think Rob Johnson made a mistake going over to CBS 2 instead of sticking with ABC 7, and could of moved up into a daytime role either morning or evening? Watching CBS 2 News in the evening it just missing so many elements, and there no chemistry with Rob & Irika. However there was chemistry w/ Rob & Kate.

Frankly, that's more of a question for the 'BBM thread, but I'll bite. Considering Johnson's successor on weekends hasn't moved up, I can't imagine Rob would've been in a better spot at WLS, 18 years after his hiring. I know it's politically incorrect to say, but placing Johnson alongside Krashesky and Magers wouldn't have exactly made the most diverse male core, either.

Had he not moved to CBS, a smart GM (haha) might have picked him up at Fox in '08, '10, '13, or somewhere in between. At this point, he's still WBBM's best option, outside of moving a pushing-60 Jim Williams to the A-team, which would go against everything the bosses have been pushing. I understand the Sullivan firing, but the Sargent hire is beyond uninspired. I get that corporate likes keeping things all in the family, but bringing in a complete outsider (at least Kate went to Notre Dame and spent time within 100 miles of town) with the warmth and charm of a cold french fry gives the impression that they're just not trying.

It's astounding the competent, known, available anchors both at the station and on the Chicago bench that, time after time, WBBM refuses to tap into. Are many of them young? No, but what do they have to lose if they reinstated Roseanne Tellez or brought in Anna Davlantes, Sylvia Perez, Robin Robinson, etc? Were they specifically looking for a young African American female? Try and lure Karen Jordan from ABC and reunite the old team. Maybe the ratings don't jump, but at least there'd be SOME buzz over any such arrivals. The way they welcome and send off anchors reminds me of how things are done in sterile, sub-100 markets.

Throw in the fact that CBS 2's newscasts lack any signature quality, instead opting for a bare-bones product, and you can see why no one watches, or even cares that they exist. ABC 7 has flash and familiarity. NBC 5 has investigations. WGN has Skilling. CBS 2 has jack squat.

• Like 5

Frankly, that's more of a question for the 'BBM thread, but I'll bite. Considering Johnson's successor on weekends hasn't moved up, I can't imagine Rob would've been in a better spot at WLS, 18 years after his hiring. I know it's politically incorrect to say, but placing Johnson alongside Krashesky and Magers wouldn't have exactly made the most diverse male core, either.

Had he not moved to CBS, a smart GM (haha) might have picked him up at Fox in '08, '10, '13, or somewhere in between. At this point, he's still WBBM's best option, outside of moving a pushing-60 Jim Williams to the A-team, which would go against everything the bosses have been pushing. I understand the Sullivan firing, but the Sargent hire is beyond uninspired. I get that corporate likes keeping things all in the family, but bringing in a complete outsider (at least Kate went to Notre Dame and spent time within 100 miles of town) with the warmth and charm of a cold french fry gives the impression that they're just not trying.

It's astounding the competent, known, available anchors both at the station and on the Chicago bench that, time after time, WBBM refuses to tap into. Are many of them young? No, but what do they have to lose if they reinstated Roseanne Tellez or brought in Anna Davlantes, Sylvia Perez, Robin Robinson, etc? Were they specifically looking for a young African American female? Try and lure Karen Jordan from ABC and reunite the old team. Maybe the ratings don't jump, but at least there'd be SOME buzz over any such arrivals. The way they welcome and send off anchors reminds me of how things are done in sterile, sub-100 markets.

Throw in the fact that CBS 2's newscasts lack any signature quality, instead opting for a bare-bones product, and you can see why no one watches, or even cares that they exist. ABC 7 has flash and familiarity. NBC 5 has investigations. WGN has Skilling. CBS 2 has jack squat.

What exactly is "flash"?

Both of which (especially the set) they've been having sub 50 Market problems with. I think the system they bought Is a little lemony...

I'm gonna let the 'portal to hell' slide, but the spelling errors really need to be gotten under control.

I'm gonna let the 'portal to hell' slide, but the spelling errors really need to be gotten under control.

Why would you let the portal to hell slide? That's the Lemoneist thing about that set.... That they haven't scrapped the effect yet is baffling.

Spelling errors is just sloppy... Their quality control needs a little polish.

I have no clue as to why the portal keeps happening, so I'll sooner criticize the things they're doing wrong that even I could do better.

Besides, I find the portal to be amusing. :D

It's definitely hillarious :D Maybe it's worth a little frustration at their expense?

Looks like we have a sequel to the "Lonely" promo...

I don't like this one as much as the other, but I do appreciate the more playful tone of it, rather than the normal "sky is falling" attitude they and the other stations in town usually take with winter.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing's set in stone, but I'm a little surprised that the station wouldn't push for him to stick around until after the Olympics, since that will be ABC 7's toughest fight (biggest loss) to NBC 5 in years.

As for successors, one would think the 10 would have to go to Alan. If they learned anything from the Caplan/Scott transition, anyone else would kill them. That said, while Baichwal would be my pick, Elgas seems like a lock for the 5. He's about the only co-anchor that has any noticeable chemistry with Cheryl Burton.

Now, I have two crazy theories that could come into play. Here me out.

1. Burton moves up to co-anchor at 10, and Elgas becomes contributing anchor. Look at KTRK's team at 10. Its just crazy enough to happen here.
  2. I think there's a very outside chance that a midday newscast returns in the fall. Newly acquired 'Right This Minute' is currently a 30 minute show, and many believe it will be paired with 'Millionaire', but I havent heard a peep about the game show moving to WLS. Would they go with a double run, or maybe take the opportunity to bring back news? I don't know. Notice, I'm not even going to give a time of day for that.

Anyway, great for Ron to be leaving while at the top, on his own terms, and while he's in good health. Between him and Jerry leaving the 10, so breaks up the longest-running weekday 10pm news team in Chicago history. Look it up, I'll wait.

Nothing's set in stone, but I'm a little surprised that the station wouldn't push for him to stick around until after the Olympics, since that will be ABC 7's toughest fight (biggest loss) to NBC 5 in years.

As for successors, one would think the 10 would have to go to Alan. If they learned anything from the Caplan/Scott transition, anyone else would kill them. That said, while Baichwal would be my pick, Elgas seems like a lock for the 5. He's about the only co-anchor that has any noticeable chemistry with Cheryl Burton.

Now, I have two crazy theories that could come into play. Here me out.

1. Burton moves up to co-anchor at 10, and Elgas becomes contributing anchor. Look at KTRK's team at 10. Its just crazy enough to happen here.
  2. I think there's a very outside chance that a midday newscast returns in the fall. Newly acquired 'Right This Minute' is currently a 30 minute show, and many believe it will be paired with 'Millionaire', but I havent heard a peep about the game show moving to WLS. Would they go with a double run, or maybe take the opportunity to bring back news? I don't know. Notice, I'm not even going to give a time of day for that.

Anyway, great for Ron to be leaving while at the top, on his own terms, and while he's in good health. Between him and Jerry leaving the 10, so breaks up the longest-running weekday 10pm news team in Chicago history. Look it up, I'll wait.

This is going to hurt 7's ratings I'm afraid.. Their recent slide will only accelerate from here...