The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Tracy's doing the night side.

You have entered...The Twilight Zone.

Well I guess Troy isn't *that* ready... It does beg the question why 7 thinks shoving Cheryl Scott down people's throats is a popular decision at every special they do... It's not like she needs that much introduction...

• Like 3

Taking a look at Feder's "Things to look for in 2016" post this morning, and there it was: Cheryl is a shoo-in for the 10pm newscast this year... BUT Taft will likely stay at the station and work on "earlier weekday newscasts." The Cheryl point is no surprise, but the idea that Jerry won't retire is highly interesting. The prevailing notion has always been that he would hang it up and Scott would take over as chief, and weather anchor for the flagship 10pm news. But if he stays and they essentially switch places, I have a feeling that this will be a very awkward and problematic transition... Not only would it come as a shock to regular viewers who don't follow this as closely as we do, it would also create other delicate issues like who would be named "chief?"

Taking a look at Feder's "Things to look for in 2016" post this morning, and there it was: Cheryl is a shoo-in for the 10pm newscast this year... BUT Taft will likely stay at the station and work on "earlier weekday newscasts." The Cheryl point is no surprise, but the idea that Jerry won't retire is highly interesting. The prevailing notion has always been that he would hang it up and Scott would take over as chief, and weather anchor for the flagship 10pm news. But if he stays and they essentially switch places, I have a feeling that this will be a very awkward and problematic transition... Not only would it come as a shock to regular viewers who don't follow this as closely as we do, it would also create other delicate issues like who would be named "chief?"

AND they've still got the opening on their website for a meteorologist. This should get interesting.

That could certainly throw a wrench into things. As for any awkwardness, if any such emotions don't show up on air, then it shouldn't be a problem for the viewers. Like her or not, both she and Jerry are professionals, and rarely show up on the air together.

That could certainly throw a wrench into things. As for any awkwardness, if any such emotions don't show up on air, then it shouldn't be a problem for the viewers. Like her or not, both she and Jerry are professionals, and rarely show up on the air together.

I wouldn't bet the farm on things being perfect off air if he gets demoted...

• Like 1

I wouldn't bet the farm on things being perfect off air if he gets demoted...

There is still some level of coldness between Cheryl and the rest of the 10P crew. A couple of weeks back, she was trying to make small talk (during the last break) & Ron wasn't having it. He didn't say a word or look in her direction (which is normal). Kathy tried, but wasn't really feeling it. Mark was on his phone.

Ron nearly hit her when he was taking out his ifb after the newscast. That was hilarious!!

In comparison, when Jerry is there, things are different. Again, during the last break, he, Ron and Kathy are talking, smiling and whatnot (Mark is again on his phone). With that said, everyone is professional on camera, but it's a different story off camera that only a few see, but you never hear about.

There is still some level of coldness between Cheryl and the rest of the 10P crew. A couple of weeks back, she was trying to make small talk (during the last break) & Ron wasn't having it. He didn't say a word or look in her direction (which is normal). Kathy tried, but wasn't really feeling it. Mark was on his phone.

Ron nearly hit her when he was taking out his ifb after the newscast. That was hilarious!!

In comparison, when Jerry is there, things are different. Again, during the last break, he, Ron and Kathy are talking, smiling and whatnot (Mark is again on his phone). With that said, everyone is professional on camera, but it's a different story off camera that only a few see, but you never hear about.

Do you mean she was standing right on top of him and almost got in the way or she was bugging him?

It's kind of like putting a kid on with veteran people... I'm sure said veterans don't appreciate that... Maybe she's annoying on the set...

As for him scaling back he already has because of her... Anything more would seem forced... Especially given his supposed full retirement in 2016.

Do you mean she was standing right on top of him and almost got in the way or she was bugging him?.

He was standing and she was sitting. He angrily whipped it off so fast that it nearly hit her in the face/head. Or so it appeared from my angle.

He could have been having an off night, but there is clearly some tension between the two.

Do you mean she was standing right on top of him and almost got in the way or she was bugging him?

It's kind of like putting a kid on with veteran people... I'm sure said veterans don't appreciate that... Maybe she's annoying on the set...

As for him scaling back he already has because of her... Anything more would seem forced... Especially given his supposed full retirement in 2016.

Well, like most veterans are blame-free. If they're that pissed that she got hired, they know who to bitch and complain to. Yet, most won't do it, and they know why...

Someone gave her a great opportunity/money to join the station, she'd be pretty stupid not to take it. I get she needs a lot of seasoning, but there's no need to rip her every chance one gets. Like I said, blame the GM/ND for hiring her.

• Like 2

Well, like most veterans are blame-free. If they're that pissed that she got hired, they know who to bitch and complain to. Yet, most won't do it, and they know why...

Someone gave her a great opportunity/money to join the station, she'd be pretty stupid not to take it. I get she needs a lot of seasoning, but there's no need to rip her every chance one gets. Like I said, blame the GM/ND for hiring her.

And I have... I went as far as to say they are in big trouble if they keep going down this road... I've watched it happen elsewhere and usually starts just like this and results in a spectacular implosion...

She does not currently have the talent level to be in Chicago... That's not a matter of seasoning. It's a matter of her current abilities. She has 5 (!) years of broadcasting experience. The thinking is that her huge social media following will translate into viewers... So far that's a big fat no... They would have been far safer with Caplan. So then they are gonna take an inexperienced bland talent that might make it to Tampa or Detroit without that following and throw her on the biggest show they have. It's beyond asinine...

He was standing and she was sitting. He angrily whipped it off so fast that it nearly hit her in the face/head. Or so it appeared from my angle.

He could have been having an off night, but there is clearly some tension between the two.

She just seems like somebody who could get on someone's nerves... Especially if he cares about their quality at all...

Thank you. Really, it does get old very fast. Some even bring her up when someone else is mentioned. I mean, Tracy and Troy did yesterday and today, and yet Cheryl's name was brought up just so we were all reminded how much she's disliked. There are people on Chicago TV that I don't like, and you know what I do? I change the channel. I really hated the Scott hire a year ago, and I still don't like that Mike got fired, but you just learn to live with it. Mike's been hired elsewhere, so go watch him.

As for Cheryl, like it or not, she's come a long way in her delivery. Is she perfect? Hell no, but that falls on management, not her. Also, I saw that whole exchange with Ron. That was an exception, not the rule. He's usually more than cordial with her, which is all you really need. He's the same way with Phil, and was the same with Mike. If he'd been working with her for 20 years like he has with Jerry, they'd obviously have a better chemistry. Besides, Ron's likely hanging it up within a few years, so who cares if they're not cute and giggly together? That's not the anchor she'll spend most of her time next to.

• Like 5

Thank you. Really, it does get old very fast. Some even bring her up when someone else is mentioned. I mean, Tracy and Troy did yesterday and today, and yet Cheryl's name was brought up just so we were all reminded how much she's disliked. There are people on Chicago TV that I don't like, and you know what I do? I change the channel. I really hated the Scott hire a year ago, and I still don't like that Mike got fired, but you just learn to live with it. Mike's been hired elsewhere, so go watch him.

As for Cheryl, like it or not, she's come a long way in her delivery. Is she perfect? Hell no, but that falls on management, not her. Also, I saw that whole exchange with Ron. That was an exception, not the rule. He's usually more than cordial with her, which is all you really need. He's the same way with Phil, and was the same with Mike. If he'd been working with her for 20 years like he has with Jerry, they'd obviously have a better chemistry. Besides, Ron's likely hanging it up within a few years, so who cares if they're not cute and giggly together? That's not the anchor she'll spend most of her time next to.

Spot on. I think a lot of people are forgetting that WLS (as most ABC O&O's) is a bloated operation. It made sense that this GM has had to come in and start pruning where possible. Is the outcome the best? No. But that is the reality of television news, this day in age.

The problem with WLS is that they did not follow the KABC approach properly. If you're going to can old[er] talent, make sure that you replace them with talent that are already on the roster/familiar with. For several years now, KABC has been shedding talent, but there isn't that much of a drop off because by the time that talent leaves, the younger/newer hires have several years at the station and built up some kind of recognition.

• Like 1

You brought her up yesterday dude... Right in your post about Cheryl and Troy...

I can't change the channel since I'm not there but I'd hate to see WLS go the way of a station like WXYZ with a complete and utter implosion followed by bad moves and talent retirements and bad hires... This whole thing starting to feel oddly familiar to me...

• Like 2

Congratulations on never making a mistake in your life.

Taft does this, "goofy, lovable Jerry".

Scott does this, "she's awful, she sucks".

Why would you have to spell the days out each time? Aren't those graphics on file pre made with the days? It's on a producer I bet and not her. She probably didn't make it.

Why would you have to spell the days out each time? Aren't those graphics on file pre made with the days? It's on a producer I bet and not her. She probably didn't make it.

My snark aside, I wondered that, too. You'd think the days of the week, morning, afternoon, evening, and tomorrow would be ready to go anytime. I mean, and I know it's likely a different department, but it would seem to me like they'd treat it like the reporter's lower thirds, all in-stock.

She was with Alan at 4 and 6, too. Rob and Stacey were on at 5 and 7. At least Judy didn't have to come on this morning. I'd imagine Stacey would've done the late show if she didn't have to be on at 5am.

She was with Alan at 4 and 6, too. Rob and Stacey were on at 5 and 7. At least Judy didn't have to come on this morning. I'd imagine Stacey would've done the late show if she didn't have to be on at 5am.

When the Saturday Morning show started at 6am, Baca would do her live reports at 10pm, the night before. And she would do that for six years (from 2007 until the show expanded more than two years ago).

But nevertheless, this is a shock to me to see Judy on the marquee 10pm show tonight.