The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Those both look pretty good. I think that Cubs one looks better than what they used.

Yeah...makes you wonder why they decided to go with an outside company for the Cubs baseball opener when they clearly have both the resources and people who could create something as solid as this.

When you see the word implosion defined in the dictionary... there is a picture of the coverage of the Tornado warning starting at about 455pm on 7. Whoever was producing isn't very good at breaking news.

Lots of audio errors.. slow to switch shots... Cheryl Scott bumbling through it and asking Jerry Taft for help.... it wasn't pretty and it wasn't very good. We even got to see the camera spin around from the anchor desk to a vacant green screen while Cheryl Scott was by the monitor not ready to go on camera yet.

When you see the word implosion defined in the dictionary... there is a picture of the coverage of the Tornado warning starting at about 455pm on 7. Whoever was producing isn't very good at breaking news.

Lots of audio errors.. slow to switch shots... Cheryl Scott bumbling through it and asking Jerry Taft for help.... it wasn't pretty and it wasn't very good. We even got to see the camera spin around from the anchor desk to a vacant green screen while Cheryl Scott was by the monitor not ready to go on camera yet.

Well, it pretty much caught everyone off guard. WGN was also very, very messy for the first fifteen minutes of the 5:00 hour. I think they were all too focused on covering the Blackhawks, and not paying as much attention to the weather as they normally would. Thus, they were woefully unprepared to cover a major breaking weather story.

Well, it pretty much caught everyone off guard. WGN was also very, very messy for the first fifteen minutes of the 5:00 hour. I think they were all too focused on covering the Blackhawks, and not paying as much attention to the weather as they normally would. Thus, they were woefully unprepared to cover a major breaking weather story.

Not like the rain snuck up on them. I'm just surprised they did so poorly I guess... I thought these stations were good at multitasking.

Not like the rain snuck up on them. I'm just surprised they did so poorly I guess... I thought these stations were good at multitasking.

Brant (WMAQ) was nearing the end of his forecast (within the 4:30 newscast) when word came down and quickly asked they bring up an updated map, so he was prepared. WBBM stayed with Judge Judy given they were minutes away from the 5P newscast. WFLD had a weather crawl.

Brant (WMAQ) was nearing the end of his forecast (within the 4:30 newscast) when word came down and quickly asked they bring up an updated map, so he was prepared. WBBM stayed with Judge Judy given they were minutes away from the 5P newscasts. WFLD had a weather crawl.

Ugh... kudos to WMAQ for being prepared for the possibility of Severe Weather. The other ones I don't get.

Everybody in Chicago seems to be doing better during tonight's weather outbreak. Other than a few gargled witness phone calls, there have been no real technical mishaps. The only thing ABC 7 is doing differently is the anchor 2-shot.

bandicam%202015-06-22%2021-25-24-286_zpsm1xj74w7.jpg

I know there are more pressing issues with this weather, but I like this camera angle. I know it doesn't line up with the glass logo behind them, but it's still a good look that they should go to more often. It's a little tighter and more intimate for coverage like this.

Everybody in Chicago seems to be doing better during tonight's weather outbreak. Other than a few gargled witness phone calls, there have been no real technical mishaps. The only thing ABC 7 is doing differently is the anchor 2-shot.

bandicam%202015-06-22%2021-25-24-286_zpsm1xj74w7.jpg

I know there are more pressing issues with this weather, but I like this camera angle. I know it doesn't line up with the glass logo behind them, but it's still a good look that they should go to more often. It's a little tighter and more intimate for coverage like this.

On a TV News site this is about as pressing as it gets. They really have done better tonight though I find their color codes for watches and warnings incredibly confusing. It doesn't conform to normal colors. A yellow Tornado watch? That's odd...

I'm not quite following you. I was referring to the color coordination on the warning ticker, where, at that point, the tornadoes had effectively ended the flooding became the big issue.

I'm not quite following you. I was referring to the color coordination on the warning ticker, where, at that point, the tornadoes had effectively ended the flooding became the big issue.

That's what I mean... In the radar loop there was a red steak of some sort of warnings behind the thunderstorm as it moved southeast. I couldn't figure out what those were supposed to be. I knew they weren't tornado warnings at least... If I remember right they had "Flash Flood Warning" in red on the ticker?

Jerry's usually in the weather center by the end of the 5 o'clock show and Cheryl had just wrapped up, so they're both around. It's not like they dragged in either of them at a really off hour. Besides, after everybody in town screwed the pooch this time two weeks ago, nobody's taking any chances, and doing their best to avoid getting caught with their pants down.

This one storm requires tag team?

I would say no. WMAQ is fully devoted to two things now (weather and investigations). So I think WLS (among others) may be feeling some pressure to be ready to go at a moment's notice if something happens because it's pretty clear that 'MAQ is ready and willing to go wall-to-wall with weather coverage without any hesitation, trepidation or overwhelming need.

After last week's storm coverage, I feel that a line has been drawn in the sand. With that said, expect a lot of jocking amongst every station when it comes to weather.

I would say no. WMAQ is fully devoted to two things now (weather and investigations). So I think WLS (among others) may be feeling some pressure to be ready to go at a moment's notice if something happens because it's pretty clear that 'MAQ is ready and willing to go wall-to-wall with weather coverage without any hesitation, trepidation or overwhelming need.

After last week's storm coverage, I feel that a line has been drawn in the sand. With that said, expect a lot of jocking amongst every station when it comes to weather.

I've got the feeling 5 is gonna do whatever it takes to make 7 nervous and eventually 2nd. Some of what 7 does is a little stale so that's 5's opening right there. 7's audience being older doesn't help them...

Feder wrote a story about this is very subject today. If you can't get around the paywall, the gist is that the main three stations in town are increasingly willing to do extended weather coverage. He mainly focused on MAQ cutting into Nightly yesterday to cover storms a hundred miles away, GN breaking into the Cubs game last week, and how stations are getting a lot of flack from viewers for their preemptions. They all say it's about keeping people safe, but for NBC5, it might be more about getting ahead of 7. It worked last week (June 22), as NBC5 had a 3.3 demo rating, while WLS had a 2.2.

So, yes, it sure looks like the competition over weather coverage is only going to heat up from here.

Apparently Hosea Sanders is available to fill in in any time slot. Any other time Stacey would just go solo on a Saturday morning, but the former morning anchor is joining her today.