The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Didn't really watch any of the A-blocks tonight, too busy with KTRK. They have used WPVI's Kenneth Moton several times, though, but I wouldn't be shocked if Travers' reports have popped up, too.

I'm sure video will be posted, but ABC 7 is jumping into the drone pool. Freelance ABC 7 (and CBS 2, apparently) photographer Colin Hinkle has been given an official FAA license to operate a drone, and his model is equipped with an HD camera and live streaming capabilities. This is enough for the station to create a "DRONE CAM - LIVE" graphic to display during its use. Law states that it cannot be used within 5 miles of airports or above 200 feet, and operators are discouraged (it may be illegal, too) from using it over large groups of people.

Frankly, I'm not sure how viable it will be considering the legal limitations, and it is not ABC 7's property, but hey, it's sweeps. Go nuts.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/drone-flies-over-nearly-ready-bloomingdale-trail-/703738/

703751_1280x720.jpg

I'm sure video will be posted, but ABC 7 is jumping into the drone pool. Freelance ABC 7 (and CBS 2, apparently) photographer Colin Hinkle has been given an official FAA license to operate a drone, and his model is equipped with an HD camera and live streaming capabilities. This is enough for the station to create a "DRONE CAM - LIVE" graphic to display during its use. Law states that it cannot be used within 5 miles of airports or above 200 feet, and operators are discouraged (it may be illegal, too) from using it over large groups of people.

Frankly, I'm not sure how viable it will be considering the legal limitations, and it is not ABC 7's property, but hey, it's sweeps. Go nuts.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/drone-flies-over-nearly-ready-bloomingdale-trail-/703738/

703751_1280x720.jpg

That's insane... Glad to see you still exist too... Been awful quiet...

To my surprise, for the news after the Cubs game today, they're using the Weekend 6 pm opens that we normally only see during college football season. Color me surprised; I was expecting them to use the 5 pm opens just because a 6 pm newscast isn't routine this time of year.

To my surprise, for the news after the Cubs game today, they're using the Weekend 6 pm opens that we normally only see during college football season. Color me surprised; I was expecting them to use the 5 pm opens just because a 6 pm newscast isn't routine this time of year.

That's good attention to detail... They could have used the plain "ABC7 Eyewitness News" open.

I remember the only other time (outside the college football) they would use the 6pm open was when ABC carried the Belmont Stakes in June (of course, that has since moved to NBC).

With today being Chicago's municipal inaugeration day, channel 7 has Alan and Linda at the desk, ready to break in for the mayor's speech. In the meantime, I'm fairly certain that this is the first co-anchor WCL news update. Considering it's only 4 minutes long, it felt really silly to see the multiple camera angles and tosses.

Somebody at ABC 7 got wind of the early sweeps results, and in an effort to compete with dueling reality show finale lead-ins tonight, Eyewitness News at 10 went 20 minutes commercial-free. They only took their first break after weather. I can't remember a time that channel 7 has ever done this. I'm recording the 1am rebroadcast of NBC 5's late news to see if they went the same route.

Somebody at ABC 7 got wind of the early sweeps results, and in an effort to compete with dueling reality show finale lead-ins tonight, Eyewitness News at 10 went 20 minutes commercial-free. They only took their first break after weather. I can't remember a time that channel 7 has ever done this. I'm recording the 1am rebroadcast of NBC 5's late news to see if they went the same route.

Huh... that's interesting... certainly rare for a station to do this but a definite "we just need a few more points" kind of move. That makes me feel better about why WXYZ has done that the past two Sunday nights in this sweeps. I wonder if 5 and 7 will wind up tied this time around?

My prediction:

NBC 5 didn't do that too.