The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Unfortunately, the secondary feed I use for clips doesn't get WCIU. It's literally the only local isn't carried. Most of my ABC 7 stuff comes from their web stream, anyway. My superpowers aren't that impressive.

Maybe I'll FINALLY cave a get a tuner for myself for Christmas.

And, I didn't mention it in the last post, but it sounds like this will be a WCIU newscast, produced by WLS, so I would guess that Weigel chooses the methods of distribution, not ABC.

Unfortunately, the secondary feed I use for clips doesn't get WCIU. It's literally the only local isn't carried. Most of my ABC 7 stuff comes from their web stream, anyway. My superpowers aren't that impressive.

Maybe I'll FINALLY cave a get a tuner for myself for Christmas.

And, I didn't mention it in the last post, but it sounds like this will be a WCIU newscast, produced by WLS, so I would guess that Weigel chooses the methods of distribution, not ABC.

I gotcha... Time to cave and join those of us with tuners and quicktime as an editor. The Quicktime part may only be me. :lol:

I gotcha... Time to cave and join those of us with tuners and quicktime as an editor. The Quicktime part may only be me. :lol:

Stupid question...do I need anything other than the tuner and whatever video program I have? Any antennas, 100-yard long cords, etc?

Stupid question...do I need anything other than the tuner and whatever video program I have? Any antennas, 100-yard long cords, etc?

Here was my experience getting set up, I don't mean for it to sound like an ad (you can adjust it to fit whatever programs you are gonna use with the tuner):

I went out and bought a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q TV Tuner Stick. It came with the stick and install CD. The program can only record one program at once and can do some scheduling functions. It cannot edit. It works on Windows 7, 8 and Vista. The tuner and the program it comes with were $80. Being a stick tuner it's simply a USB plug in that's like a giant flash drive in size. There is a cable recepticle at the end of the tuner stick and I bought a $9 RCA antenna which works good most of the time. I plugged it into the stick and it's sitting on the desk in my home office, the cord came with the antenna and is maybe 3-4 feet long. You have to get the antenna to make the tuner work. Like with any antenna weather is a factor.

So once I got the software for the tuner itself installed I downloaded Quicktime for Windows as my linear editor and discovered that the file extension that the TV Tuner kicks out is .TS which meant I had to get a (free) .TS to MPEG4 converter so I could edit in quicktime. So whatever program you decide to use to edit, see if it can take a .TS (or whatever you end up getting) file and if not there is probably some kind of free converter program available online to get it to the right type.

Oh and one last note:

When uploading to youtube the highest quality it will give me once I convert from .TS to MPEG4 is 480P which is good but not quite HD. You've seen a few of my videos so I'll let you judge the picture and sound quality. There may be some audio/video sync issues now and again as well. But all in all it's not bad for around $90.

Hope this helps. :)

What the heck...Ron, Kathy, and Jerry on the 4 o'clock show. I'd think that out of anybody, they would be the ones with the week off!

I guess they'll all definitely be off later this week and all of next week.

And Cheryl at 5. Only at ABC 7. :D

I was talking Burton.

Oh..I have to remember there are two people named Cheryl there now. Anyway, C. Scott was in studio with Jerry most of the evening. I guess she was getting some training in before her first full on-air experience.

And Terrell returns with Stacey at 10. Three anchors, two meteorologists, two sportscasters (Dionne was with the Bears, when JR could have done it AND the newscasts)...why would they be so damn overstaffed tonight, especially when Jerry was solo the other night, and Ron and Cheryl anchored everything last night?

And Terrell returns with Stacey at 10. Three anchors, two meteorologists, two sportscasters (Dionne was with the Bears, when JR could have done it AND the newscasts)...why would they be so damn overstaffed tonight, especially when Jerry was solo the other night, and Ron and Cheryl anchored everything last night?

I'm guessing they would have staffed higher yesterday if they could but it didn't come together adequately.

I will say, though, it's amazing that, with a just few hires and a single firing, the hierarchy at the station has completely changed in the last year. Just look at the morning show. The weekend anchors used to fill in all the time, and that will only become a little bit regular once Terrell becomes full-time. But, I think it's fair to say that seeing Ravi and Phil on a weeknight will become a rare occurrence once Hosea and Scott join the evening roster.

I think it's only fair that even the higher ups work some holidays/occasions. I'm sure the A-team gets first dibs on what days to take off, but most of the ABC 7 anchors doesn't strike me as the kind of people that don't take one for the team. Anyone remember when Kathy Brock anchored Christmas morning the last time it was on a Sunday, just so Ben Bradley could be home with his new baby? Ron always volunteers to work on Thanksgiving, and Linda Yu usually picks up a holiday or two this time of year. And when you have occasions like Christmas and New Years that tend to be 2-day ordeals, everyone can have a chance to celebrate with their loved ones.

I think it's only fair that even the higher ups work some holidays/occasions. I'm sure the A-team gets first dibs on what days to take off, but most of the ABC 7 anchors doesn't strike me as the kind of people that don't take one for the team. Anyone remember when Kathy Brock anchored Christmas morning the last time it was on a Sunday, just so Ben Bradley could be home with his new baby? Ron always volunteers to work on Thanksgiving, and Linda Yu usually picks up a holiday or two this time of year. And when you have occasions like Christmas and New Years that tend to be 2-day ordeals, everyone can have a chance to celebrate with their loved ones.

Linda Yu works on the 4th doing all newscasts except the early morning shift.