The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Don't like it at all. Would rather have Mike Caplan as chief meteorologist.

Here's how it SHOULD be:

Tracy in the morning.

Cheryl at 4

Mike does the evening shows

Weekend stays the same except for Troy doing the whole morning on Sundays.

That's the more ideal set-up that I was thinking of upon hearing this news. Heck, they could even give her the 5 and 6, too, but to install her on the premier broadcast AND give her the 'chief' moniker at only like thirty friggin' years old is a huge slap in the face to Phil, Tracy, AND ESPECIALLY Mike. I'd even be satisfied if she did the 10 (and likely an earlier slot), but give Mike the top position a la WCAU with Schwartz and Parveen.

This sounds too much to me like the station is relying too much on viewers habits. She didn't do anything for the numbers at NBC 5, to the point where they didn't fight to stop her leaving, but because Eyewitness News is at the top, the assumption is being made that anyone could go on the air and they'd succeed. Now, of course, one could say that 7 has been relying on those same viewers' habits, for too long, but (and I can't believe I'm saying this) at least you could argue that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Keep this in mind, Cheryl was in elementary school when Caplan, Butler, and Schwarz joined the station, and she was still in utero when Jerry hopped on with ABC 7.

Oh, and I'll be frank. Part of my disappointment in this stems from my dislike of Ms. Scott. It's nothing personal, I just have ALWAYS seen her as a cheap knock-off of Ginger Zee. Now, if WLS has somehow got Ginger, this would still leave a very bad taste in my mouth, but at least she'd come aboard with...

1. A lot more experience in Chicago than Scott
  2. More years in the industry
  3. Network experience and prestige

No way she jumps ahead of everybody else. I'm thinking she will join a revamped weekday AM newscast. And even if she takes over in 3-5 years, she really needs to step it up. WMAQ is done with her, so she's not going back there.

So this would explain why they did the viewer survey on the weather personalities several months ago. I honestly don't see everyone sticking around, even when Jerry retires. My guess is that Caplan or Schwarz are on the hot seat. Too many on the payroll.

So this would explain why they did the viewer survey on the weather personalities several months ago. I honestly don't see everyone sticking around, even when Jerry retires. My guess is that Caplan or Schwarz are on the hot seat. Too many on the payroll.

I'd also be inclined to think that other chopping would be done, but I'd bet that they could pay Cheryl handsomely, give the other three a raise to make up for the shafting, and still be spending less than with the current arrangement.

That is, of course, if the others stick around. I think management might actually let that sort itself out versus being clouded with a firing. And, I think this is a guarantee, Jerry has probably given some sort of timetable, letting the bosses know that he's hanging it up. Jerry just might be the only winner in this, because if he has stated his intent, then he's definitely going to be leaving on his own terms, whenever he wants, especially if it's within a year.

Sooner or later 7 is going to screw up, maybe this is that event. None of the other 3 vets that are there would likely be at all happy. Scott has nowhere near the expierience to do the 10. Why you would have one meteorologist do one show is beyond me. Ideally one meteorologist would do 4, 5, 6 and 10 the way so many other stations do. Not having that 11am complicates that though unless they want to drop to 4 mets from the 5 they have.

The job should be Caplans. Period.

I'd also be inclined to think that other chopping would be done, but I'd bet that they could pay Cheryl handsomely, give the other three a raise to make up for the shafting, and still be spending less than with the current arrangement.

That is, of course, if the others stick around. I think management might actually let that sort itself out versus being clouded with a firing. And, I think this is a guarantee, Jerry has probably given some sort of timetable, letting the bosses know that he's hanging it up. Jerry just might be the only winner in this, because if he has stated his intent, then he's definitely going to be leaving on his own terms, whenever he wants, especially if it's within a year.

Unless Tracy Butler quits, she seems like the odd one out. They wouldn't have six weather people on staff unless it was a temporary arrangement with Jerry leaving at the end of November/this year. But it doesn't appear he's leaving anytime soon.

Sooner or later 7 is going to screw up, maybe this is that event. None of the other 3 vets that are there would likely be at all happy. Scott has nowhere near the expierience to do the 10. Why you would have one meteorologist do one show is beyond me. Ideally one meteorologist would do 4, 5, 6 and 10 the way so many other stations do. Not having that 11am complicates that though unless they want to drop to 4 mets from the 5 they have.

Before Jim Tilmon retired from WMAQ, he only did the 10PM newscasts with Andy handling the 4:30, 5 and 6 newscasts. That said, Jerry doing only 10 with Cheryl taking over 5 and 6 and Mike staying at 4 could, in theory, happen.

Before Jim Tilmon retired from WMAQ, he only did the 10PM newscasts with Andy handling the 4:30, 5 and 6 newscasts. That said, Jerry doing only 10 with Cheryl taking over 5 and 6 and Mike staying at 4 could, in theory, happen.

From my perspective coming from about half the market size, the idea of having a separate 4pm meteorologist is kind of puzzling. On the other hand we have a dedicated noon meteorologist here now. I suppose it varies with the station and news director as well. The multiple anchor arrangements and weather and sports arrangements certainly harkens back to better times in broadcasting.

I agree with everything. Since Cheryl would "eventually" take over for Jerry, I have no idea what she would do until then. It would be a complete waste of money to bring her on and only have her do one newscast. Hell, Tom Skilling now does the noon, 4, 5, and 9 at WGN.

When Tracy's off (at a conference in Utah), Mike does the early shift on Monday, since Phil was on last night. Occasionally Phil will then do the 4, but Jerry and Mike fill in for each other in most cases. If Tracy's off tomorrow, too, then Phil will be on and Mike back at 4. It's all standard procedure.

Really, WLS? Can't leave well enough alone? They're the last station that I thought would screw over their next-in-line for the "young and beautiful" outsider, but that's the new route this management is gonna take, eh? Tear apart the team that got you to #1 and instead hope that putting more attractive people on camera will keep you #1? Maybe Alan Krashesky should watch out. When Ron retires, this management just might be daring enough to go to a young outsider or maybe even Ravi instead. If Cheryl Scott is indeed hired to replace Jerry, than will mean that both the weather and sports positions didn't go to their intended recipients (Mike and Rafer). I wouldn't be surprised if Idler tears apart Emily Barr's entire succession plan and ousts Alan, too. Who was supposed to take over for Linda Yu? Was it Slyvia? If so, that would actually make it 3 of 4 intended successors screwed over by Idler.

A lot of these moves are in many ways being dictated by the Mouse. WLS is trying to set up their talent roster for the long term. Cheryl is a lot younger than Mike, Phil and Tracy and realistically they want someone who will probably stick around a lot longer than 5-10 years. Granted that there is no guarantee in life, but if you think about, who do you think will be at WLS in another 10 years... Cheryl Scott or Mike Caplan, Phil Shwarz or Tracy Butler? Also, it happened with the outsourcing of master control at the ABC O&O's but you can almost guarantee that layoffs and or non-renewals are coming up for many employees. The ABC O&O's are pretty bloated to begin with and they can easily shave off some payroll at every station in the group- either via non-renewals or retirements.

Two thoughts:

With a potential contract being only 3 years, is management covering its ass if Scott's a bust? (Also might she only be here to beef up her resume until bigger things come along?)

With his protege gone (remember, on his own terms), and Jerry not far behind, does an increasingly-bored/disinterested Mark Giangeco hang it up?

Two thoughts:

With a potential contract being only 3 years, is management covering its ass if Scott's a bust? (Also might she only be here to beef up her resume until bigger things come along?)

With his protege gone (remember, on his own terms), and Jerry not far behind, does an increasingly-bored/disinterested Mark Giangeco hang it up?

Maybe he would. I think Jim Rose seems to still have some pep and enjoys his job (at least he projects that). So Rose would probably step into Giangrecos shoes if it came to that. I actually prefer Rose to Giangreco personally so I wouldn't mind that change.

A lot of these moves are in many ways being dictated by the Mouse. WLS is trying to set up their talent roster for the long term. Cheryl is a lot younger than Mike, Phil and Tracy and realistically they want someone who will probably stick around a lot longer than 5-10 years. Granted that there is no guarantee in life, but if you think about, who do you think will be at WLS in another 10 years... Cheryl Scott or Mike Caplan, Phil Shwarz or Tracy Butler? Also, it happened with the outsourcing of master control at the ABC O&O's but you can almost guarantee that layoffs and or non-renewals are coming up for many employees. The ABC O&O's are pretty bloated to begin with and they can easily shave off some payroll at every station in the group- either via non-renewals or retirements.

I believe viewers understand that their favorite anchor/reporter will, at some point, retire. WLS really needs to plan out who they want to replace these veterans with. Adding Scott seems like a step backwards imo. Offering her three years (sounds like something WFLD would do) is, on the surface, pointless, so they throw in the possibility to succeed Jerry to sweeten the deal and thus create an uncomfortable situation for the rest of the weather team.

If they didn't want to promote someone from within, they could have easily found someone with a bit more experience than Scott without spending a ton of cash.They really can't afford to be careless because viewing habits can change if you add the wrong people (inexperienced and cheap) into the mix.

WARNING: There are a lot of hypotheticals here, many of which are off the top of my head and potentially incoherent. Please be patient.

So, I've been scouring over the Feder article, analyzing the wording and phrasing, because I've known Rob's work to be very concise. He will spell things out as they are. And, I keep going back to one excerpt...

"Sources said ABC 7 has offered Scott a three-year contract that eventually would elevate her to the station’s top-rated 10 p.m. Monday-through-Friday newscast."

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but this line really screams to me of this being a short-term option on the intent of both parties. I said it before, and I'll repeat, I'm not going to doubt that Scott is trying to keep a seat warm in her current residing market, and is in a holding pattern until that big Ginger Zee network role opens up on either coast. WLS knows that they're facing a potentially difficult transition (with or without Cheryl in the picture), and are preparing to beef up the team once a vacancy presents itself.

What if WLS does let Jerry hang around as long as he wants, on the condition that he retires within three years? In the meantime, Scott finds her way onto the team (don't ask me how, I wouldn't know where to start), and holds tight until the succession is ready. In that time, maybe she finds that big gig, maybe the station changes their mind, maybe one of Schwapler (that's what Phil, Mike & Tracy are going to be called) decides to call it quits. After the three years/end of Jerry's tenure, the station reevaluates their options, and makes an ultimate decision for the future. It's entirely possible that ABC is willing to eat some dough while the non-sinking deck chairs get re-arranged, effectively making Scott a pawn for the future (or more sinister, keeping her locked up so no one else can have her).

Through all of this, maybe that eventual 10pm position doesn't open up fast enough (note: she's not necessarily being hired to immediately take the 10), and she wants out. Well, then WLS might be willing to release her, and all sides call no harm/no foul and move on.

Now, while I've been writing this, another idea has crossed my mind...Did we EVER learn the terms of Terrell Brown and Tanja Babich's contracts? Didn't think so, but hear me out. What if those two also have a clause stating that they will EVENTUALLY (there's that word again) find a spot on the desk, without any current vacancy? (Heck, those were the rumors, for sure, but they've been around for a combined year and a half and nothing's happened. The morning show has rebounded away from the abyss, and all seems healthy.) You know, with Ron Magers and Linda Yu approaching retirement, maybe the station wants a male and female groomed, familiar and ready to become permanent anchors when the need calls. I highly doubt they'd be installed on the marquee broadcasts, but I could (for example) totally see Judy or Hosea moving up to the evenings and those two assuming the morning show chairs. Or maybe one or both ends up on the weekends...whatever. It almost seems like WLS is building up, for a lack of news terms, but an abundance of sports references, a farm team...a crop of minor-leaguers. I understand that the alleged terms of the Scott deal are more explicit, but what if she were (on the short term), used as a almost-primary fill-in across ALL newscasts, specifically weekdays, allowing viewers to get acquainted with her, developing chemistry with the whole team, and setting the table for when Taft does make his exit?

I guess my main point is that a lot can happen in three years, and nowhere does it say that she's going to be top dog next month. So much of this seems short-sighted, and goes against so many recent decisions by the station, that this could wind up being a strategic move with an ulterior motive. What's that motive? Well, that's a discussion for another day. ;)

Good night, all.

The rumored 3-year contract looks like an idea that was brought up by both sides to cover their asses. Although, we don't know what Disney/ABC's policy on contract length and money amount is ( for all we know, they may not be allowed to hand out contracts longer than 3 or 4 years). I can think of at least 5 personalities that will most likely not be with the station in 5 years, as such WLS needs to start grooming the younger ones to step up when the time comes.

Day two for Dionne Miller, and she's doing well. Granted, she's only been on the air in live shots, but work environment must be making a difference. I thought she was just okay at Fox, but I see a lot of promise in her delivery now she's at ABC, so far so good.