The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

And I'm not sure if it was used on the 10pm last night, but just this morning, they are now using the new mic flags. And they are a custom version, similar to that of WABC's. On Friday Night, most of the reporters on the field who were reporting from the spots of where the upcoming Dan Ryan rapid transit shutdown will happen, were still using the old 2007 mic flags.

I've been watching news videos on their website, those old mic flags they have been using is being phased out for the new ABC7 mic flags.

Like I stated, last night was the last time they'd used the 2007 mic flags. As of this morning, and probably last night at 10pm, that's when the newer WABC's, I mean WLS's mic flags are being used. All the reporters on the field used the newer flags tonight on the 5pm show.

Now I wonder if they're going to send the 2007 mic flags to WJLA, since they've been using those mic flags, alone with the circle-7 by itself flags for a minute. But I would love to see them use WABC's mic flag.

But serious, when I first saw WABC's new flags in 2011, I fell in love. Now WLS is now using their version of the flag, its almost like pre-1997 all over again. Kudos to WLS for getting a custom WABC flag. I wish the other two Circle 7's to the west get it, but I'm asking for too much.

Like I stated, last night was the last time they'd used the 2007 mic flags. As of this morning, and probably last night at 10pm, that's when the newer WABC's, I mean WLS's mic flags are being used. All the reporters on the field used the newer flags tonight on the 5pm show.

Now I wonder if they're going to send the 2007 mic flags to WJLA, since they've been using those mic flags, alone with the circle-7 by itself flags for a minute. But I would love to see them use WABC's mic flag.

But serious, when I first saw WABC's new flags in 2011, I fell in love. Now WLS is now using their version of the flag, its almost like pre-1997 all over again. Kudos to WLS for getting a custom WABC flag. I wish the other two Circle 7's to the west get it, but I'm asking for too much.

I saw the 10 PM newscast last night, and they definitely were using the new mic flags by then.

There are some heavily updated weather graphics as of this morning's 11am show. They look pretty good. All of the area maps and stuff are still the same, and this is a very heavy refresh, but who knows? This could be a sign of thing to come. This is the first real overhaul to the 7-day in about 12 years (at least).

This is the full album...

http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/24994J/slideshow/ABC%207%20Chicago%20Weather%20Graphics%202013

And this is the 7-Day graphic...

946828_524053804322601_1278308505_n.png

And the old in comparison...

972002_523572817704033_2119387891_n.jpg

So wait, do all of the maps during the weather segment live inside of these "boxes" now? I'll have to remember to check out the weather segment at 6 or 10.

No. Only the text slides are in the boxes, but your not going to see much of it tonight. Jerry doesn't seem to be using it all as much as Tracy or Mike. If you really want to see it in action, check out Tracy's forecast at 11am yesterday...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=9113598

I need to make my way downtown sometime. If you notice, she's actually touching the screen. I have no idea how, though. In the past, whenever anyone touches the drop-down screen, it used to swing and sway. Now it's not. I'm wondering if they've blocked the window with a permanant set-up. That would explain why we haven't seen the desk-to-weather center camera angle, or the wide shot of the crowd outside. I was downtown in March, and nothing had changed then, but you have to wonder if anything has been done since.

No. Only the text slides are in the boxes, but your not going to see much of it tonight. Jerry doesn't seem to be using it all as much as Tracy or Mike. If you really want to see it in action, check out Tracy's forecast at 11am yesterday...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=9113598

I need to make my way downtown sometime. If you notice, she's actually touching the screen. I have no idea how, though. In the past, whenever anyone touches the drop-down screen, it used to swing and sway. Now it's not. I'm wondering if they've blocked the window with a permanant set-up. That would explain why we haven't seen the desk-to-weather center camera angle, or the wide shot of the crowd outside. I was downtown in March, and nothing had changed then, but you have to wonder if anything has been done since.

It's basically the same thing when they show the map with all the spots temps. And if they touch the one in O'Hare, the number expands/highlights. It's like the same thing. They now doing it with the 7-day graphic as they touch the bar and showing the AccuWeather graphic. I'm not sold with the new 7-Day graphic. Looking out to the right doesn't look right.

____

What's up with the lack of commercials on the 6pm tonight? A commercial wanted to come one and the second it shows, it goes back to the look of the Buckingham Fountain. And since there's a lack of ads, they're now re-airing Roz Varon's Weekender segment from the 4pm show. Okay As of 6:22pm/CT, the ads are back.

What's up with the lack of commercials on the 6pm tonight? A commercial wanted to come one and the second it shows, it goes back to the look of the Buckingham Fountain. And since there's a lack of ads, they're now re-airing Roz Varon's Weekender segment from the 4pm show. Okay As of 6:22pm/CT, the ads are back.

I'll guess this is why 'Katie' ended at 3:53 today.

I'll guess this is why 'Katie' ended at 3:53 today.

I actually saw that. After the last 4pm tease, they should just less then 10 seconds into the new segment and just immediately, went to the next set of commercials. So basically one of the segments was skipped. Then they had to show those minutes of ads before the beginning of the 4pm show. I was like what its up over there. My theory is they're might be some new folks are running the controls tonight and not the regulars who might be jumping early on their holiday plans.

It turns out that Saturday morning meteorologist Mark Bishop is leaving the station after the June 15th broadcast after 8 years. He's accepted a teaching position at an institution in Nashville. No word yet on Channel 7's plans for the time slot.

It would be nice to see someone do just Saturday & Sunday morning shows. I never thought it was right for Phil to do almost an entire weekends worth of news. I mean, doing the Saturday Night show, then sleep at the station, then wake up and do the Sunday Morning show? I know many stations in other markets do that, where anchors do all the weekends shows. My reasoning is how much sleep do they get? Or do they even go to sleep?

I remember last August during the Olympics where the ABC O&Os were doing the 7 minute Midnight/11pm newscasts. All they did on the weekend was extend the show an extra 7 minutes (from 10pm to 11:07pm). Karen started her maternity leave, and Ravi & Phil was off that day. So Stacey Baca fill in, along with Mike Caplan. Then a few hours later when the morning news came on, there was Stacey & Mike along with Judy, because Hosea & Tracy wasn't there. It was like they never looked tired an such. Or for the last six years Baca would be on the field Friday Nights at 10pm and then anchor the Saturday morning news. That's being a trooper.

But damn. I'll be like, do they even get any sleep at all?

SMH.

Here's what happen earlier this morning. They aired a pre-packaged Sylvia Perez's HealthBeat segment about certain things males can do to increase their changes to become a father. And this what happened afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=echtJs4AL7k

Video Courtesy of brand babu from YT

That is seriously the most fun I've seen them have in YEARS. This is why I think Ben needs to be on the morning show. I like Hosea, but either promote him upon the retirement of someone else, or...

• 3 weeks later...

WLS is airing a new short promo, plugging its Facebook Wall, and the logo appears to be the new ABC logo. And its been almost a year when they started using that 2007 design, and they use it extensively.

It's only on the promo, not anywhere else at this point.

WLS is airing a new short promo, plugging its Facebook Wall, and the logo appears to be the new ABC logo. And its been almost a year when they started using that 2007 design, and they use it extensively.

It's only on the promo, not anywhere else at this point.

Just for giggles, about what time did it air?

Just for giggles, about what time did it air?

So far it's been aired three times, It first aired during the 8am hour of Good Morning America, then it aired again during Windy City Live, then once during the 11am news. Since the station is so promo-heavy, you won't miss it later on. It's basically a 15 second promo. The logo picture is similar to the profile Pic on the Facebook wall. But I can easily tell its the new logo. You'll get a chance to see it.

And what do you mean Just for giggles, what do you think that amusing? Don't tell me it aired yesterday and you didn't tell me about it. LOL.

And what do you mean Just for giggles, what do you think that amusing? Don't tell me it aired yesterday and you didn't tell me about it. LOL.

Hahaha. Nope, just wondering because I DVR Dolinsky's Wednesday morning segment at 11am.

What color is the ABC logo on the ABC7 logo? I've noticed that the ABC network itself is using different colors based on what the program is. I've seen both red and yellow/orange variants thus far. Do any others exist?

Its a dark ABC Logo, similar to WABC's and the rest of the O&Os that jumped (KABC, KGO & KFSN). The Circle 7 don't have many darker shade effects like WABC's.