The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

It's official. The new daytime lineup has been announced, and all is right with the world...

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/08/08/abc-7s-new-lineup-looks-familiar/

I can't be shocked about this schedule, because KABC went with a similar schedule, placing Rachael Ray between The Chew & GH. So it appears that ABC wants GH to be on an ideal 2pm timeslot (similar to NBC's Days Of Our Lives on the ideal 1pm timeslot on most stations (WMAQ airs it at 11am)). I'm not sure if its going to be for all of the O&Os. And Rachael Ray is at the right spot to compete with Vieira & The Talk.

And I don't think anyone should be complaining about Inside Edition & Jeopardy! returning to its 3pm slots again. Where it needed to be!! Both shows were on those time slots since their syndicated debuts. It just didn't feel right being on an hour earlier.

Now I want to know if Channel 7 is going to bring back the weeknight 10pm repeat again, after the WCL repeat. That was axed thanks to two years of those careless Katie repeats.

I'm already anticipating a RR repeat at 1am, even though I'd rather have the 10 o'clock airing.

Update: Meanwhile, a new executive producer has been hired for the morning news. He comes from The Weather Channel, with previous stops in OKC and Phoenix.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/08/08/abc-7-hires-weather-channel-whiz-as-morning-producer/

Ahh NO!! NO!! Don't say that. Ugh!! LOL.

Bringing back the 10pm repeat at 1:07am would greatly bring back some normalcy to the schedule. Yes, the daytime lineup are due to preemptions and such, but I don't see them squeezing another hour of Rachael. And anyway, I don't even think a station have aired a second airing during the overnight hours. We'll see what happens though, but I wish they don't do this.

I'm already anticipating a RR repeat at 1am, even though I'd rather have the 10 o'clock airing.

Update: Meanwhile, a new executive producer has been hired for the morning news. He comes from The Weather Channel, with previous stops in OKC and Phoenix.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/08/08/abc-7-hires-weather-channel-whiz-as-morning-producer/

Well, I can't exactly say that I like anything that has happened to TWC's live programming over the past 4 years. It's basically turned into a super-fast hype machine where weather takes second fiddle compared to the news and entertainment content. I'm not sure if any of that is Hamilton's doing or if it all came from higher management (hopefully it wasn't his doing), but I suppose a morning show will be good for him. I wonder if he'll try to bring the faster pacing of TWC's shows over to ABC 7's morning show.

Well, I can't exactly say that I like anything that has happened to TWC's live programming over the past 4 years. It's basically turned into a super-fast hype machine where weather takes second fiddle compared to the news and entertainment content. I'm not sure if any of that is Hamilton's doing or if it all came from higher management (hopefully it wasn't his doing), but I suppose a morning show will be good for him. I wonder if he'll try to bring the faster pacing of TWC's shows over to ABC 7's morning show.

Maybe they'll try to loosen it up a bit, try to be more like WGN?

While I do like the softer lighting, overall, this is a wasted effort. New durans look like a small step above the ones at WFLD. It's unfortunate they decided to take a pass on doing something bigger and better to the set.

So WFLD has updated their cityscape backdrop duran which now puts WLS to shame. I still dont understand why WLS didn't do more.

So WFLD has updated their cityscape backdrop duran which now puts WLS to shame. I still dont understand why WLS didn't do more.

Apparently Graphics and some minor updates to an ancient set is as much as Disney wants to put into it, can you say "for sale"?

'Windy City Live' is going to be airing a week of double shows from September 8th to the 12th, after the new schedule takes effect, but before Rachael Ray begins.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/home/root/news/6776-abc-7-officially-announces-new-daytime-schedule-wcl-to-have-week-of-double-shows

• 3 weeks later...

ABC 7 disabilities reporter Karen Meyer (60), who is deaf herself, is retiring from the station at the end of September after 23 years. Morning anchor Hosea Sanders will assume her reporting duties, as she will not be directly replaced.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/09/04/karen-meyer-retiring-as-abc-7-disabilities-advocate/http://abc7chicago.com/careers/abc7-eyewitness-news-reporter-karen-meyer-to-sign-off/294437/

ABC 7 disabilities reporter Karen Meyer (60), who is deaf herself, is retiring from the station at the end of September after 23 years. Morning anchor Hosea Sanders will assume her reporting duties, as she will not be directly replaced.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/09/04/karen-meyer-retiring-as-abc-7-disabilities-advocate/http://abc7chicago.com/careers/abc7-eyewitness-news-reporter-karen-meyer-to-sign-off/294437/

What a remarkable career she's made at Channel 7. Didn't realized she was there that long. I'm not too sure if this was also a first for a TV station to do this or not. But neverless, I wish her all the best in her retirement.

Okay, I got some good news. Looking at the guides, next week, the rebroadcast of its 10pm news returns to Channel 7 (YES!!!). But it will air at 1:37am, after a repeat of Inside Edition at 1:07am.

Okay, I got some good news. Looking at the guides, next week, the rebroadcast of its 10pm news returns to Channel 7 (YES!!!). But it will air at 1:37am, after a repeat of Inside Edition at 1:07am.

I can live with that. They're not up against the rebroadcasts on 2 and 5, and it will be a better lead-in to WNN...if they must hold that off til 2am.

I can live with that. They're not up against the rebroadcasts on 2 and 5, and it will be a better lead-in to WNN...if they must hold that off til 2am.

I'm thinking the station did this to air more local ads on the 1am hour, instead of airing just the 10pm rebroadcast after WCL and before WNN at 1:43am (like the station use to do, prior to the Katie borefest). And Inside Edition airs more local ads than national ads anyway.

EDIT: Because of the heavy rain that's expected to fall tomorrow morning, WLS is going to have a special 4am start of the news.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember way back when they were on the temp set while the State Street Studio got refreshed? I had mentioned that the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago had a mock ABC 7 set. Here's a pic of that set-up, via our ole buddy at NewscastStudio...

Byk-ABKIIAAFAs5.jpg

Remember way back when they were on the temp set while the State Street Studio got refreshed? I had mentioned that the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago had a mock ABC 7 set. Here's a pic of that set-up, via our ole buddy at NewscastStudio...

Byk-ABKIIAAFAs5.jpg

Silly question, but I wasn't around to see it...

Did ABC 7 ever have a desk that resembled that in regular use? I know we said the duratran was 2003 or maybe a little older...

One thing I realized while catching up on some of the I-Team stuff yesterday: In the State street studio refresh they inexplicably left the panels that say ABC7 News alone so it doesn't really match anything. It looks odd. I wonder if they will get a fully new set sometime in the next 1-2 years?

Did ABC 7 ever have a desk that resembled that in regular use? I know we said the duratran was 2003 or maybe a little older...

No, and no. The duratran matches the daytime, left anchor backdrop from 2006 when the SSS debuted...

wls_news_03.jpg